Saying 2.5 instead of 2500, etc?

Discussion in 'Change to my Frequency...' started by CC268, Nov 9, 2017.

1. Palmpilot

Palmpilot Touchdown! Greaser! PoA Supporter

Display Name:

Display name:
    Richard Palm
    "To" is recommended in the AIM. Some people claim that it can be mixed up with "two," but in the AIM's system of terminology, we're not supposed to be saying "two five hundred" or "two five thousand," it's supposed to be "two thousand five hundred" and "flight level two five zero." The same applies to "for" vs "four," although the AIM is silent on that one.

2. mscard88

mscard88 Touchdown! Greaser!

Display Name:

Display name:
    Mark
    Always liked fighters when turning base, "gear stop", meaning gear was down for a full stop. Most of the time they'd acknowledge w/ two clicks. They weren't being cute or cool, just another method of communicating. Of course this was USAF ATC.

3. Palmpilot

Palmpilot Touchdown! Greaser! PoA Supporter

Display Name:

Display name:
    Richard Palm
    While we're on the subject of concise communication, one of my pet peeves is that flight students nowadays are apparently being taught to read back every single word that ATC says. This goes way beyond what is recommended in the AIM. Listening to them struggling with readbacks in the pattern at my home field leaves me wondering how they have any mental bandwidth left to fly the aircraft, let alone maintain situational awareness. I shudder to think what it must be like the first time they get on a frequency where pilots have to wait for minutes at a time to get a word in edgewise.

Radar Contact likes this.
  4. Velocity173

Velocity173 Final Approach PoA Supporter

Display Name:

Display name:
    Velocity173
    Maybe not taught it but I think since they don't know what to read back, they just read back the whole thing. Used to ask my students in the Army "what part of that clearance is required to be read back?" Usual reply was "all of it." Its fine with me if they do that but when it's busy and they take so long to reply that ATC says "Army 12345 did you copy???" that becomes a problem.

That and spewing out everything on initial call up for IFR / FF are pet peeves of mine. Flying with a friend earlier this year in a twin Cessna off a non towered field in the moutains. He called up looking to pick up his IFR with a long-winded transmission. I looked out the window and smiled because I knew what was going to be the reply. Sure enough, center came back with "Ok, twin Cessna calling Atlanta Center, you're broken and barely readable, say again your callsign."

5. Lachlan

Lachlan Cleared for Takeoff

Display Name:

Display name:
    Lachlan
    I see the problem: N123 did not identify themselves on the readback. Right? Right? I’m right, right? ;)

6. CC268

CC268 Pattern Altitude

Display Name:

Display name:
    CC268
    Lol this thread got a lot more attention than expected...although I stopped reading it after about the 10th reply. I’ve never personally used the 2.5 lingo but just have heard others use it.

7. mscard88

Display Name:

Display name:
    Mark
    That's because you're not cool yet. ;)

8. CC268

CC268 Pattern Altitude

Display Name:

Display name:
    CC268
    Everyone on PoA is a certified perfect pilot so no way any of these superior pilots would use that kind of lingo.

9. mscard88

Display Name:

Display name:
    Mark
    Ha! Wanna bet!