Premier 1 driver reported to FAA by "pilot"

Tower told me to report 4 mile final. I reported I was 4 mile final when I was actually 3 miles out. Discuss.
I don't think one mile makes much difference but I remember a popular radio show personality had a midair with another airplane when someone misreported how far out they were and the tower at Meigs Field in Chicago cleared an airplane to land. Yeah, I know, see and avoid, but inaccurate position calls in the pattern can add to the danger. I've heard many times pilots report 5 miles out and then appear on short final seconds later so they must have busted the Mach and should be violated...

Gasp! I did an 8 mile straight in to KPOU in the Cub last week, as per instructions from the tower. I called the final at 4.1 miles instead of 4.
I better file some paperwork before they drag me out of the house and send me to Gitmo. :D

I have to say the people in the tower were really pleasant, and accommodating. They told me stay on frequency, pick my turnoff and go straight to the diner without stopping.
It had taken me almost an hour to fly the 44 miles from GBR to KPOU. And it was witchen,bitchen cold. Someone probably knew I needed a gallon of hot tea on my feet to thaw them out.
You mean...you mean...you mean not even a Brasher warning????!!!

On an almost related topic, if I should at any time in the future (as I've of course never done anything wrong I'd admit to) I've found that if I've done something wrong / not quite what the tower wanted, and they're correct, I would reply "Apologies, you are correct, I understand"

Even if the tower or other plane is snarky, little to be gained by getting into a ****ing contest. Acknowledging quickly seems to defuse the situation and allows for all to focus on flying and not running into anything.

As far as being reported to the FAA for something like the original post, I hope if that ever happens to me I'll learn from his example on how to reply - analytical, not being snarky, cooperative, and sticking to the facts and respectfully holding the line of "this isn't a real issue".

I don't care. I rarely post flying videos to my YouTube channel and when I do, it's usually a short segment. That has nothing to do with fearing some idiot or the FAA. Instead, it's because (select the best answer):

(a) I'm too lazy to do all that editing.
(b) My flights are not all that interesting.
(c) I am not all that interesting.
(d) All of the above​
Greg Mink Premier 1 driver says he does not do youtubes for the money. But he also mentions his swag cite.

On an almost related topic, if I should at any time in the future (as I've of course never done anything wrong I'd admit to) I've found that if I've done something wrong / not quite what the tower wanted, and they're correct, I would reply "Apologies, you are correct, I understand"

Even if the tower or other plane is snarky, little to be gained by getting into a ****ing contest. Acknowledging quickly seems to defuse the situation and allows for all to focus on flying and not running into anything.

As far as being reported to the FAA for something like the original post, I hope if that ever happens to me I'll learn from his example on how to reply - analytical, not being snarky, cooperative, and sticking to the facts and respectfully holding the line of "this isn't a real issue".

One day in 1980, I wanted to enter the tower at Hayward Executive airport. After I said I am a pilot, I was allowed upstairs.

There I happened to watch and listen to a controller tell an inbound pilot to land on the field in the direct path of another airplane headed in the right path and I mentioned that to the controller. Fast as a snake bitten person, he changed directions for the wrong headed pilot.
What had happened was the winds shifted to favor the more normal path to the runways.

Early Am pilots may be told to land on 10L or 10R. When the sun gets higher, the runways change to 28L or 28R. I think the controller was used to saying 10 when it should have been 28.

Dave Duffin was my CFI for my license and that was in 1980.

Imagine my surprise to find he posts on a childrens site Oasis Project where Kids ride motorcycles.

Anyway I had not talked to Dave after completing my training at Hayward Executive airport. Last year I learned about the Oasis project and took a chance and called Dave. Dave instantly recognized me and I am not sure if this was a compliment or not but he said I was that hotrod pilot. LOL He recalled immediately my oldest daughter who would at times fly with me and Dave for his instruction. Dave seemed to have perfect recall.

Well I was watching Premier 1 just now and it reminded me to check here. I read a bit on flight instruction programs and Gleim came up as did Jepson.

I am 82. Have not piloted for many years. I want to thank this forum for being here since as a child in WW2, I was always interested in being a pilot.
If you wait and wait to fly more or again, you will hopefully reach my age and wonder if I will ever pilot another airplane. I have no problem with health or physical condition.

I watched some of Citation Max as well and noted how it has to be to be rich. His M2 has winglets and the recent Citation does not. Is there some explanation that can be told to me here? Thanks.

Well I was watching Premier 1 just now and it reminded me to check here. I read a bit on flight instruction programs and Gleim came up as did Jepson.

I am 82. Have not piloted for many years. I want to thank this forum for being here since as a child in WW2, I was always interested in being a pilot.
If you wait and wait to fly more or again, you will hopefully reach my age and wonder if I will ever pilot another airplane. I have no problem with health or physical condition.

Go to the airport and get cracking!!

I watched some of Citation Max as well and noted how it has to be to be rich. His M2 has winglets and the recent Citation does not. Is there some explanation that can be told to me here? Thanks.

It's family/corporation money. His dad or his dad's company owns the plane.

I knew that Citation Max is using corporate revenues to purchase and or operate the Jet.

I have a good story about Jets and oil.
Jack Holland from Hayward ca played football with me and Jack Del Rio whose son became the Raiders head coach for a couple of years.
After graduation, Holland got busy buying tankers and gas stations. He was making tons of money. His dad owned a used car lot in town.

If you recall when Nixon was president, There was a new oil and old oil Federal program. Supposedly to force more new wells and limit prices for the old wells.

Holland owned a Gulfsteam Jet. I used to see him flying when I flew out of the same Airport. Word was that he hired a pilot and maybe a stewardess. HE moved to a very rich part of the SF Bay Area.

He buys an oil refinery by Bakersfield CA and his problems began. I think he owned around 30 gas stations and no idea how many tanker trucks he owned but they were all over.

Holland buys old oil for a lower price and funnels it through his refinery but sends it out at the higher price of new oil.

Feds arrest him and put him in prison I believe for 50 years.

I have asked mutual friends if he is still in prison but nobody knows. I believe he was convicted around 1982.

BTW they cancelled that law yet he remained in prison I believe.

https://www.newspapers.com/clip/26030604/holland-oil-doe-fraud-charged-12-may/

Last edited:
is this another "rich man bad cause he has money and I don't" thread?

is this another "rich man bad cause he has money and I don't" thread?
What do you mean?

Jack and I were friends. I think what happened to him is criminal against him.

What he did was only criminal for a short period of time and now it is not criminal.

What do you mean?

Jack and I were friends. I think what happened to him is criminal against him.

What he did was only criminal for a short period of time and now it is not criminal.

That was a rough period, the govt was trying to control oil prices which pretty much gave us the first oil shortage.

I knew that Citation Max is using corporate revenues to purchase and or operate the Jet.

I have a good story about Jets and oil.
Jack Holland from Hayward ca played football with me and Jack Del Rio whose son became the Raiders head coach for a couple of years.
After graduation, Holland got busy buying tankers and gas stations. He was making tons of money. His dad owned a used car lot in town.

If you recall when Nixon was president, There was a new oil and old oil Federal program. Supposedly to force more new wells and limit prices for the old wells.

Holland owned a Gulfsteam Jet. I used to see him flying when I flew out of the same Airport. Word was that he hired a pilot and maybe a stewardess. HE moved to a very rich part of the SF Bay Area.

He buys an oil refinery by Bakersfield CA and his problems began. I think he owned around 30 gas stations and no idea how many tanker trucks he owned but they were all over.

Holland buys old oil for a lower price and funnels it through his refinery but sends it out at the higher price of new oil.

Feds arrest him and put him in prison I believe for 50 years.

I have asked mutual friends if he is still in prison but nobody knows. I believe he was convicted around 1982.

BTW they cancelled that law yet he remained in prison I believe.

https://www.newspapers.com/clip/26030604/holland-oil-doe-fraud-charged-12-may/
He pleaded guilty according to this. I haven't found anything on whether he is still in prison.

https://www.upi.com/Archives/1982/07/23/Three-plead-guilty-in-oil-fraud-case/5415396244800/

I did not talk to Jack after we graduated but got to know him on the football team and later he came to my work and we talked then.

It was one reason Nixon disgusted me.

Thanks for letting me know.

Jack drove around in a Ferrari and I think the Gulfstream Jet could carry maybe 12 people as passengers. jack also donated money to Hayward for a city park.
If this is the same guy, the Federal Bureau of Prisons says he was released in 1984.

Name: JOHN M HOLLAND
Register Number: 74298-011
Race: White
Sex: Male
Released On: 01/06/1984

https://www.bop.gov/mobile/find_inmate/byname.jsp

(I Googled "federal inmate")

I agree with you, but calling the FSDO because you got your feelings hurt in the comments section is right up there with calling 911 and trying to get the SWAT team to knock down your neighbor's door.

The social media shaming makes me very uncomfortable, however.
Good analogy

I'm sorry the kid reported him, but that video was awkward to watch (I felt embarrassed for him).

Last edited:
When you put stuff on the internet, expect it to get scrutinized. Look at the guy (Wagoner somthing or other...) who posts videos of himself doing all of the wrong things he can in an airplane. He gets rosted.

Mr. P1 Driver makes a simple mistake and gets called out. If you fly long enough you WILL make a call like that, but in the end it's the CONTROL tower that makes the call and is responsible. Looking at the video, P1 Driver owns his "mistake" and moves on. Sure it's a pompus move by the kid to (preportedly) call the FAA but shouldn't we hold ourselves accountable?

Some of ya'll have never had any interaction (postive or negative) with the FAA and it shows. I had a tire blow on a runway at a large towered airport. Three weeks later the FAA called and wanted to ask me about me "losing an engine" over the runway. I told the guy what happened and he simply asked me to send a photo of the logbook signoff where the tire was changed. Easy stuff.
getting called out and calling the FAA are two different things.

It really was kind of like the responses I used to write after using my BULL$!T stamp on documents. Write it. Get it off your chest. Delete it.
Great plan. One person I know really needed to let off stream from frustation at work, so I suggested they create a second gmail account to write angry emails to, called <theirname>-vent@gmail.com. From what I hear, it's helped.

What you really don't want to do is post something like that video publicly, b/c you'll probably calm down in a day or two, but the Internet is forever.

(Or, as someone's folksy grandpa probably said once, when you condesend to bend down and wrestle with a pig, you both end up covered in mud.)

If this is the same guy, the Federal Bureau of Prisons says he was released in 1984.

Name: JOHN M HOLLAND
Register Number: 74298-011
Race: White
Sex: Male
Released On: 01/06/1984

https://www.bop.gov/mobile/find_inmate/byname.jsp

(I Googled "federal inmate")
Also, Whitepages.com shows a John M Holland, age "80+" who used to live in Hillsborough, CA and now lives in Greenbrae, CA.

It really was kind of like the responses I used to write after using my BULL$!T stamp on documents. Write it. Get it off your chest. Delete it.

I had (may still have somewhere) one of those stamps. I don't think I ever used it, although the thought crossed my mind more than one. :p

He pleaded guilty according to this. I haven't found anything on whether he is still in prison.

https://www.upi.com/Archives/1982/07/23/Three-plead-guilty-in-oil-fraud-case/5415396244800/

I looked up some figures a day or so back on convictions by the Feds.
They have first the money to put you in jail. Few are able to stand up to the Feds. Roger Stone for instance lacked the funds and so did General Flynn to name two recent people.
The Feds live on plea arrangements. They jail more of the public using pleas than by actual trials.

PS, if the day ever comes you face a trial by Jury, figures prove you are better to have the Judge handle your case and just do not use the Jury.

The Papers did little to show what good Jack had done. He had been on the City Council as I recall. The council could not get enough votes for a park and JohnJack funded it all himself for the good of the public.

I plan to call Jack Del Rio to learn if he called Jack by the name John.

Last edited:
Also, Whitepages.com shows a John M Holland, age "80+" who used to live in Hillsborough, CA and now lives in Greenbrae, CA.

We called him Jack as people called John Kennedy Jack. I am happy he was released in 1984 and thank the pilots here for helping solve that riddle for me.
GreenBrae is in Marin County where the rich live. Maybe Jack bounced back. When he was prosecuted he did then live in Hillsborough.

About 30% of my flights are to uncontrolled airports, where I do always call clear of the runway. Am certain that I have called clear many times as I was turning and still technically partially on the runway. Probably a thousand other minor things as well, certainly nothing unsafe, or needed reporting. The punk that reported him could use a good butt kick for sure. My GF actually said to me once ' Why did you just call rolling, but didn't actually begin to roll for another second? ' I had no actual answer for her. Didn't think that it truly mattered to call rolling, a second early. But she didn't report me for it. About a month later we went back to the same airport, about 20 nm away, I said today you do all the radio work, I'll just fly the plane. I nitpicked everything she did, to just make the point that a call a second early or late doesn't really matter. She called 10 nm out, while we were 11 nm out, that started her trying to be as exact as she could, and she after that day, never asked me again 'why' if I was a second early with a call. In her case it was more curiosity than anything else, and I knew that. I just didn't think it was a big deal. Now years later, and probably another hundred plus flights with me, she will often do the radio calls for me, and she is great at it, but we also allow each other a little wiggle room on calls.

In the end, I don’t want this kid in my cockpit, at my company, or even tracking my flight on FlightAware.

When you knowingly have a cancer of a person like this little dipstick (you know the word I wanted to use), you spend more time worrying about them and then it becomes a safety of flight issue.

I have never got close to meeting Premier1 Pilot but the man bears defending.

There are a lot of sayings about pilots and flying.

Greg spent a lot of flying hours flying for our military. Greg has flown many civilian aircraft. Greg has landed maybe 1000+ landings.

Greg was landing at an uncontrolled airport when the kid pilot turned him in.

The kid has a lot to learn.

This thread went "Pepperidge Farms remembers" in a hot second :D

Hot second? This thread is now in its second year.

Has anything changed or we still at:
1) it's good that the youtuber is out of the youtube game
2) nobody liked the kid being a tattle-tale regardless of the validity of the report

Hot second? This thread is now in its second year.

Has anything changed or we still at:
1) it's good that the youtuber is out of the youtube game
2) nobody liked the kid being a tattle-tale regardless of the validity of the report
Which Youtuber is out of the game? Greg posted yesterday. I don't think his run in with a doofus was much more than a mild annoyance in the end.

At least he has good taste in reading material and cares enough about his parents to visit them! ;) He sounds like a good one, but he'd have to be okay with being #2 to an airplane. LOL

For y'all's information, what @Half Fast is attempting to do is called matchmaking. LOL And as far as I know, it's all in fun. :) The logistics alone would make it beyond weird! Also, could you imagine the "how you met" story?! LOL (Yeah, so, I was on this online forum with his dad... :D)

In retrospect, this post is a treasure!

I'll commonly do the same with waiting traffic knowing that they are 5000 or more feet behind me, although I say "clearing at the end" so the plane behind me or in the pattern knows what my plans are. As Greg pointed out the reporting pilot had just enough knowledge to know you're suppose to be past the hold short line when you say clear but not enough knowledge to know how to apply minor modifications when safety permits. I hope when he takes his private practical ride the examiner does not hold him to the same standards he imposed on Greg because he will never pass..

Whenever a pilut mentions how many hours thry jave or types they have flown that nothing more than trying to bully your position into being accepted. Seems that most of the airline crash videos i see are all from highly trained piluts with thousands of hours.

So P1D is a knob for mentioning his mad skills AFTER he admits to a bad call.

And it was a bad call. We all agre on that.

Mr air force pilut and jet owner is just butt hurt he got called out on a very minor issue .. after all he has ALL THE FLIGHT HOURS!!!!!

Back