NorCal Meetings Eternal page

Jason thanks for the advice. It is helpful.

I was planning on staying East of 101 until PRB and then follow 101, transition thru SBP and go to oceano. Not sure how to fly along the coast coming back.

Pull out your sectionals (you'll need LA, too) and plot radials off Morro Bay and Big Sur VORs to keep you clear of the restricted airspace. It's only really a factor near Vandenberg.

Flight following is highly advisible. Fly high when offshore to keep the top of the coastal cliffs in gliding range.

Well, being the less experienced one among you guys!!!!!!!!!!!
I came straight to RHV to go to HAF (after my squash game in AM), the Wx briefer had told me it was all clear.
I followed Mack and Aeric's suggession, Requested ground for FF and charlie transition code, flew 3500, to woodland VOR and then towards HAF, thats when I noticed some low clouds, the Norcal asked me if had the HAF Wx ?>>>>and allowed frequency change. turned out the clouds were 800 and visibility 5 with haze.
had to make 180 and come back!

I don't know why briefers don't have up-to-the-minute info. What MAKG said is what I do. Just call the AWOS at 650-728-5649. The conditions right now are better than yesterday, 330@13G18 vis 7 SKC 14/06. Kinda bumpy with the hills though.
Can't fly today, had a nice long flight yesterday, I went inland.

HAF was a great flight today and the wind was not a factor. 13 G17 landing HAF, maybe 20 degrees off the runway heading. No gusts when I landed. No significant turbulence on the flight and the wind had died down to 12 when we came back to LHM, again, mostly down the runway.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I don't know why briefers don't have up-to-the-minute info. What MAKG said is what I do. Just call the AWOS at 650-728-5649. The conditions right now are better than yesterday, 330@13G18 vis 7 SKC 14/06. Kinda bumpy with the hills though.
Can't fly today, had a nice long flight yesterday, I went inland.

Aeric,

Sorry could not respond yesterday due to busy morning. I gave up on oceano, thought of HAF and later gave up on that too due to wind 13 G18, haze and epecially being a new airport.

I could have gone to Frazier lake but did not know if anybody was goingt there for sure. I have been there before once with my instructor, a straight and easy flight from RHV.

will plan better next time

Anybody flying next Saturday or sunday? I might follow if within my capabilities

Anybody flying next Saturday or sunday? I might follow if within my capabilities

Maybe. The show closed yesterday. I haven't flown in two weeks, so I do want to get out again.

Where to? Petaluma for a B52 burger? As a new pilot, a Class B transition would be a great exercise for you. And you'll be amazed how little there is to it after all the local instructors have tried to scare the s**t out of you.

I might be up to going out next weekend, if the weather is like today it would be great.

Big CAF breakfast at Modesto Saturday, 8 to 11 AM.

Maybe. The show closed yesterday. I haven't flown in two weeks, so I do want to get out again.

Where to? Petaluma for a B52 burger? As a new pilot, a Class B transition would be a great exercise for you. And you'll be amazed how little there is to it after all the local instructors have tried to scare the s**t out of you.

Sounds great to me. I have never been to petaluma but would love to go there. Will do some skyvector research and update.

Do they have vegitarian items in the breakfast at Petaluma?

You can make it work. Just like me, I am a low carb person. We all struggle to make our diets whole. But it can be done. Go for it dude.

I think I can work that out. being indian origin it is the first thing comes to my mind every time I think of food LOL

I am thinking, RHV to calavares, to sonol golf course to berkley to san rafael to petaluma. will call ground for FF and transition thru charlie, 3500 feet.

Just like MakG said, deep seated Bravo fear is forcing me to stay out. Though I really wanted the Bravo experience.
What do you guys think.

I think you will find it stupidly simple and anticlimactic. Just keep your ears open and follow ATC's instructions.

I am thinking, RHV to calavares, to sonol golf course to berkley to san rafael to petaluma. will call ground for FF and transition thru charlie, 3500 feet.

Just like MakG said, deep seated Bravo fear is forcing me to stay out. Though I really wanted the Bravo experience.
What do you guys think.

Load up ForeFlight (to see the airspace) and get flight following. They will often clear you through without asking. As Sac said, it isn't a big deal. It is just like any other flight following. Just don't enter Bravo without clearance.

I think you will find it stupidly simple and anticlimactic. Just keep your ears open and follow ATC's instructions.
Your up early :yesnod:

As long as you don't try to fly straight up the middle of the Bay, Sac's positively right.

There is almost nothing to it. You just have to be able to deal with the rare "remain clear of Class B." I've even had NorCal clear me without asking (leaving Oakland).

Last edited:
Load up ForeFlight (to see the airspace) and get flight following. They will often clear you through without asking. As Sac said, it isn't a big deal. It is just like any other flight following. Just don't enter Bravo without clearance.

Your up early :yesnod:

Gots to get a jump on the other playa's. I'm the guy that already has a phone number by the time the other guy is dragging himself in to the gym.

As long as you don't try to fly straight up the middle of the Bay, Sac's positively right.

There is almost nothing to it. You just have to be able to deal with the rare "remain clear of Class B." I've even had NorCal clear me without asking (leaving Oakland).

Yeah the best bet is just to call for flight following from RHV to Petaluma, and they will most likely will clear you for Bravo without asking. But still ask of course just in case. It's NBFD.

Although leaving RHV, one will be receiving Class C services under flight following due to the proximity of SJC and OAK, so one may still get a dog legged vector around Oakland vs. a straight shot through the Bay.

Yeah, Oakland likes to route over mid-span San Mateo Bridge, 29 numbers, and Coliseum (following 880 out of Class C), all at pretty low altitudes. That Class C doesn't go up to 4000 like most of them do. Over the Bay, it's ceiling is 1500, with Class B directly above.

Honestly, Class B is easier. A lot easier, as long as it's VFR. No kidding!

As a private pilot, you're allowed to fly over the marine layer if that's an issue. Just make sure you have an out, but you usually will with marine layer (just fly inland).

Thanks for the great information. I find it very valuable.

Advance apologies for my redundant questions. To clear the confusion, should I fly straight line to san rafael bridge (transition thru SJC and Oakland Class C, stay under 3000) cross the bay to san rafael airport and go straight to petaluma.

Concerns are, as they say try to avoid flying over the populated area and the flying over the water if you can.

Once again please excuse my ignorance.

Last edited:

Advance apologies for my redundant questions. To clear the confusion, should I fly straight line to san rafael bridge (transition thru SJC and Oakland Class C, stay under 3000) cross the bay to san rafael airport and go straight to petaluma.

Concerns are, as they say try to avoid flying over the populated area and the flying over the water if you can.

If you call for FF from RHV to O69, ATC will expect that you will want to fly that in a straight line, and they will tell you what altitude and direction to fly if they don't like it.

When you get to Petaluma, there is a 99.99999999% chance that runway 29 will be in use. Just fly up the ridge line (cheating a little to the west so that you're not too high) and turn on the 45 to join right downwind for 29. There's actually a power line that pretty much lines it up for you.

The pattern can get a little busy on a nice day. So resist the temptation for a straight in approach. We usually don't have NORDO's but do from time to time.

Have fun!

Sam

I'm back in NorCal now, but might be working depending on the time. I'm flying jumpers in WVI now, but things are slowing down. Depending on what time is decided, I'll see if I can make it. Would be nice to see some familiar faces again.

Nick

I'm back in NorCal now, but might be working depending on the time. I'm flying jumpers in WVI now, but things are slowing down. Depending on what time is decided, I'll see if I can make it. Would be nice to see some familiar faces again.

Nick

I thought the jumper dumper at WVI was a reasonably attractive woman. Didn't think she was named "Nick." :D

I had a nice chat with her once when I was trying to find HP and/or complex aircraft to rent there (there is one of each on the line, at different FBOs -- a 182Q and a M20J). She was preflighting a modified STOL 182 with one seat and a big door.

Sounds great to me. I have never been to petaluma but would love to go there. Will do some skyvector research and update.

I'll be up flying this weekend and would come out for a burger at the 29er diner if you guys pick Petaluma as the spot. Won't be much of a fly-in for me since I'm based in Santa Rosa but I'll be up practicing anyway and would enjoy stopping in to say hi and grab lunch. Haven't done a fly-in since my first one at Columbia with Kimberly in her rental piper. Only reason I wouldn't make it is if I'm in a lesson with my CFI, but otherwise I'm game for Petaluma (or pretty much anywhere in Sonoma County for that matter).

lemme know...

Sounds as though it's Petaluma. They have a decent price on fuel as well, always a good idea to patronize airports that don't gouge you on fuel.
So, what time is good for all? I'll put my two cents in and say noon?

Sounds as though it's Petaluma. They have a decent price on fuel as well, always a good idea to patronize airports that don't gouge you on fuel.

And you can check out our new FedEx operation! Look out Memphis.

Crap, the Other Guy put dibs on the plane this Saturday. I'm in for noon if he bails though.

How many people are coming to Petaluma at noon on Saturday? Tail numbers / names? Hopefully fog will clear up by then (if there is any).

That is my home airport, I'll drive, and I might fly after (flying with another pilot just to the practice area to do some maneuvers).

Breakfast is served until 2pm, restaurant open until 3pm. I'm sure they can do vegetarian (eggs, cheese, potatoes).

Kimberly

How many people are coming to Petaluma at noon on Saturday? Tail numbers / names? Hopefully fog will clear up by then (if there is any).

I'm in

Skyscraper (Keith)

Cessna 150

N8187S

White with horrid harvest brown and burnt orange stripes :)

White with horrid harvest brown and burnt orange stripes :)

You're a rocker. Aren't you supposed to dress all in black? :D

I'm a definite maybe. There are planes available but the wife actually asked to go flying -- that's rare -- and Saturday doesn't work for her. It will probably be in the Flying Zucchini (a really green 172N, 733ZK) or the Cutlass RG (painted like Keith's, 6190R), if I can do it.

Joyce has the 180 HP. :(

Sac, IF I can go, I can almost certainly give you a lift. Even out of OAK if you like.

Last edited:

Still trying to convince the other two pilots of our Cessna to let me apply the 4 foot \m/ SLAYER \m/ decal.

And I'll stop wearing black when they make a darker color :D

I'm a definite definite.

Eric

Cessna 150L

N18076

White with not-bad red, blue and gray stripes.

I'm a definite maybe. There are planes available but the wife actually asked to go flying -- that's rare -- and Saturday doesn't work for her. It will probably be in the Flying Zucchini (a really green 172N, 733ZK) or the Cutlass RG (painted like Keith's, 6190R), if I can do it.

Joyce has the 180 HP. :(

Sac, IF I can go, I can almost certainly give you a lift. Even out of OAK if you like.

Appreciated, but I'll be on a fairly tight timetable that day, so I kind of need my own wings to make it work out.

I am up for petaluma, was wondering if there is any chance of changing to 1400 local? I have somethings planned in AM.
It will be my first fly in with you guys and am excited!

Saleem

Cessna 172 N (white with yellow and blue stripes)
Tail# 114FA
Not the greatest looking but love it.

Last edited:
Back