NorCal Meetings Eternal page

I've got plane booked for Sunday. I'm going to a murder mystery party Friday night so no flying on Saturday for me.

Kind of up in the air for me, I have a few conflicts this weekend. I might get out Saturday, but Sunday is out for me.

Sunday's a no-go for me, but Saturday I will fly. Saturday is forecast to be the better weather day. So, chime in with the day and where, perhaps two mini-meets with different people each day?:blueplane:

Hmm... Half Moon should be clear tomorrow. Still indeterminate if I can make it.

Hmm... Half Moon should be clear tomorrow. Still indeterminate if I can make it.

That sounds good. If that's the plan, afterwards I'll fly to Frazier Lake (grass strip) for it's monthly antique aircraft display.
I'll check here in the AM tomorrow as to what the plan is.

Hi guys,
I am new at the board. Just got my PPL ASEL last month. Trying to expand my wings.

Don't know how you guys plan and work it out, I might go to HAF tomorrow.

I'm up for KHAF Sunday, weather permitting.

I have to work Saturday and Sunday is calling for high wind advisories. So we will see.:mad2:

I'm up for KHAF Sunday, weather permitting.

I guess we can make the call Sunday morning. My area is predicting 10 G17 which isn't too bad if it mostly down the runway. You never know, though.

Hi guys,
I am new at the board. Just got my PPL ASEL last month. Trying to expand my wings.

Don't know how you guys plan and work it out, I might go to HAF tomorrow.
Sometimes it's arranged fairly well, since I've been trying to get this together, not so much.:redface:
I'm flying somewhere, no matter what. If at least one person wants to meet in HAF tomorrow, I'm there. Say, noon at the south parking?
Whoever's going, post here, then check in the late morning.
And yes, there's a widespread wind advisory for Sunday.
To the rest who can't make it, we'll do one soon!
Oh, and RHV, congrats on the PPL!

Sometimes it's arranged fairly well, since I've been trying to get this together, not so much.:redface:
I'm flying somewhere, no matter what. If at least one person wants to meet in HAF tomorrow, I'm there. Say, noon at the south parking?
Whoever's going, post here, then check in the late morning.
And yes, there's a widespread wind advisory for Sunday.
To the rest who can't make it, we'll do one soon!
Oh, and RHV, congrats on the PPL!

Thanks Aeric,
I have not been to HAF before, I was thinking about 3000 ft straight from RHV to HAF, and would request RHV ground for Class C transition and Flight following. Do you think this is practical?
Noon may be a little tighter for me. I could try to get there by 1400 local.
Also what are the usual activities after you guys get there? Please excuse my ignorance, This is my first fly in going to be.
By the way I fly a Cessna 172

Last edited:
I guess we can make the call Sunday morning. My area is predicting 10 G17 which isn't too bad if it mostly down the runway. You never know, though.

Even if it isn't right down the runway, a little x-wind practice is always good.

What time at KHAF? South end as usual?

Thanks Aeric,
I have not been to HAF before, I was thinking about 3000 ft straight from RHV to HAF, and would request RHV ground for Class C transition and Flight following. Do you think this is practical?
Noon may be a little tighter for me. I could try to get there by 1400 local.
Also what are the usual activities after you guys get there? Please excuse my ignorance, This is my first fly in going to be.
By the way I fly a Cessna 172
Yep, from RHV just tell ground you want FF to HAF and the Charlie transition, they should give you a squawk code. Right after departure they'll tell you to contact SJC(124.0), SJC should have you cross mid-field (do it perpendicular), then just follow instructions to contact either Moffett or Norcal and head for HAF. 3000' is good, you'll be under the 4000' SFO Bravo (stay west of the 2500' shelf). When you get in the area keep in mind that the traffic pattern for 30 is right and for 12 is left (because of the ocean critters). If it is 30 (most likely), come in from over the ocean, cross mid-field, drop to pattern altitude to do a right 45 entry to downwind and you're there. It can get a little busy, just do your calls.
I can be there at 1400, my plane is a white 150, tail #N18076. What's yours?

WX is looking kind of iffy. I'm shooting for noon, I need to be back mid afternoon. I'll check in around 9:00.

HAF is a great new pilot jump, as long as the weather is good. You can cross the mountains easily at Woodside (OSI) VOR or Hwy 92 (but DO NOT CROSS 92 or you risk a Class B bust). I'll suggest 3500 over the crest at Woodside, just to minimize turbulence if there is any wind. Expect a few bumps over the crest and watch your altitude as the aircraft can climb on its own there.

Aeric's description is a standard entry, but it will point you at rising terrain. There is actually plenty of room, but it can look scary. Most of the other pilots will fly long straight ins, so keep your eyes peeled.

Winds in the pattern and on the surface can be quite different there due to ocean and mountains. Make sure you look at the windsock on final, regardless of what AWOS says, and what your crab is on downwind.

The runway is HUGE. Be aware of the wide-runway illusion and don't flare high.

I wish I could make it....

I need to bag it for today. I can't make 1400 and it doesn't look like the marine layer is going to clear by the time I would need to be there.

FWIW, it's clear south of there right now. I haven't checked, but WVI may be fine for a coastal trip.

Thanks for the detailed plan Aeric, makes me feel confident.

My tail is 114FA, white with yellow stripes. It is IFR currently, hopefully will be clear by 1300.
Do you still plan to go to frazier lake along the coast? I wanted to fly along the coast sometime in future.

Last edited:
Thanks for the detailed plan Aeric, makes me feel confident.

My tail is 114FA, white with yellow stripes. It is IFR currently, hopefully will be clear by 1300.
Do you still plan to go to frazier lake along the coast? I wanted to fly along the coast sometime in future.

Looks like the coastal low clouds are at it again. It has been mostly clear for weeks, and now this. Assuming it won't clear, or at best be intermittent, how about Frazier Lake? It's not on the coast but there is the monthly antique display day. It's south of RHV, no more than 20 minutes. Turf strip, in good condition, typically using rwy 23, right pattern, super simple. Just come in from the north, enter the right 45 to downwind. CTAF 123.05, AWOS at Hollister, 120.425.
There is a parallel water runway, be mindful of that.
Let me know what you think.

Well, HAF AWOS is still reporting 500' ceiling. I'm off to Frazier Lake to look at old planes...

Well, being the less experienced one among you guys!!!!!!!!!!!
I came straight to RHV to go to HAF (after my squash game in AM), the Wx briefer had told me it was all clear.
I followed Mack and Aeric's suggession, Requested ground for FF and charlie transition code, flew 3500, to woodland VOR and then towards HAF, thats when I noticed some low clouds, the Norcal asked me if had the HAF Wx ?>>>>and allowed frequency change. turned out the clouds were 800 and visibility 5 with haze.
had to make 180 and come back!

Anybody flying Sunday tomorrow?????? I am thinking about flying to oceano along 101, may come back along the coast until Wattsonville and then come to south county and back to RHV.

Anybody flying Sunday tomorrow?????? I am thinking about flying to oceano along 101, may come back along the coast until Wattsonville and then come to south county and back to RHV.
I will greatly appreciate the suggestions or advice.

thats a nice flight, just be aware of R-2513 and r-2504. as long as you stay east of 101 until you pass Paso Robles you should be fine. As far as Oceano goes, last time I was there, there was not much to do. nothing on the field other than a biplane ride place and the town is about a 10 min walk away. i'd suggest going to PRB too. they have a nice museum on the field.

I will greatly appreciate the suggestions or advice.

I am flying, but it will be somewhere closer. Maybe HAF if I can get in. Oceano is a great airport with camping on the field. There are several restaurants and a hotel in walking distance and Pismo Beach is right there. Get your weather from San Luis Obispo. The approach for Oceano is over the water. Very pretty. Restaurants are maybe a five minute walk, but bring a folding bike if you have one.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I might possibly go to. Supposed to be pretty windy today - more wind than I want to ride a bike in. Still have things to do today that might conflict.

Airmet sierra currently. might clear up by early after noon. I will still try though try to take off around 1300????

thats a nice flight, just be aware of R-2513 and r-2504. as long as you stay east of 101 until you pass Paso Robles you should be fine. As far as Oceano goes, last time I was there, there was not much to do. nothing on the field other than a biplane ride place and the town is about a 10 min walk away. i'd suggest going to PRB too. they have a nice museum on the field.

Jason thanks for the advice. It is helpful.

I was planning on staying East of 101 until PRB and then follow 101, transition thru SBP and go to oceano. Not sure how to fly along the coast coming back.

Jason thanks for the advice. It is helpful.

I was planning on staying East of 101 until PRB and then follow 101, transition thru SBP and go to oceano. Not sure how to fly along the coast coming back.
Get flight following and they will steer you clear of the hot areas. Have fun. I think I am going to try for lunch at HAF today.

Well, being the less experienced one among you guys!!!!!!!!!!!
I came straight to RHV to go to HAF (after my squash game in AM), the Wx briefer had told me it was all clear.
I followed Mack and Aeric's suggession, Requested ground for FF and charlie transition code, flew 3500, to woodland VOR and then towards HAF, thats when I noticed some low clouds, the Norcal asked me if had the HAF Wx ?>>>>and allowed frequency change. turned out the clouds were 800 and visibility 5 with haze.
had to make 180 and come back!

Next time, phone the AWOS before you leave. That's up to the minute. The briefer only gets it once an hour. Same with all online sources, including apps like foreflight.

It's not at all unusual for HAF weather to suck when everything else is severe clear.

Back