NorCal Meetings Eternal page

I can only meet at noon, let me know if that changes.

I've made plans to fly at 1:30 and the other pilot reserved my 172 so I can only be there from probably 12 -1.

I may or may not eat but I want to visit with you guys, it isn't too often POA comes to my stomping grounds! I had everyone over the fourth of July in 2012 I think but that's the last time.

Kimberly

I am up for petaluma, was wondering if there is any chance of changing to 1400 local? I have somethings planned in AM.
It will be my first fly in with you guys and am excited!

Saleem

Cessna 172 N (white with yellow and blue stripes)
Tail# 114FA
Not the greatest looking but love it.

I'll still get there at 12:00, I'm sure we'll be there for several hours. Just try for as early as you can, besides, the sun is only up till 5:00.

I thought the jumper dumper at WVI was a reasonably attractive woman. Didn't think she was named "Nick." :D

I had a nice chat with her once when I was trying to find HP and/or complex aircraft to rent there (there is one of each on the line, at different FBOs -- a 182Q and a M20J). She was preflighting a modified STOL 182 with one seat and a big door.

I'd like to think I'm pretty attractive sometimes:dunno:; she left to work at Apature the aerial imaging vendor in SJC, her name's Mary she's quite nice. I've rented both the C182Q and M20J at WVI too, both nice planes although I'm already getting sick of the 182 (except not really because flying rocks). I probably won't be able to make a noon gathering but if someone wants to come to WVI after and say hello I'll be dropping people all day. If for some reason I'm not working, I'll head over ASAP! I have Tuesdays/Wednesdays off so if anyone wants to fly those days, get at me.

Enjoy the breakfast!

N

I reserved the Cutlass RG 6910R. Will have an 8 year old in tow.

1408455M.jpg

I'll still get there at 12:00, I'm sure we'll be there for several hours. Just try for as early as you can, besides, the sun is only up till 5:00.

Sounds good. I will get there as early as possible. Hopefully see you guys out there.
Saleem

I promised the kids I'd take them to MOD for pancakes, but maybe we'll swing by O69 for lunch.

I promised the kids I'd take them to MOD for pancakes, but maybe we'll swing by O69 for lunch.

The kids have good taste! Can't beat that breakfast and the pecan pancakes for $6!
See ya there, look for the strange plane....

UPDATE: I'm still coming but probably won't be early. I won't be eating either but I'll stay to visit until I have to fly. I'll find you guys around noon.

GROUNDED!

The Cessna got taken out from under me last minute :(

Nothing makes you want to fly more than not being able to. Perfect weather too :mad2:

Sorry to have to miss this one! See y'all at the next one...

The kids have good taste! Can't beat that breakfast and the pecan pancakes for $6!
See ya there, look for the strange plane....

Not sure which strange plane was yours.

Great seeing everyone at Petaluma!

Great first fly in for me. wonderful experience meeting you guys thanks for welcoming me to the group.

Were you able to navigate the bravo transition ok? How'd it go?

Sam, It was good learning experience. called oak 1500 hundered, they gave me a code and asked to stand by.......... I called when I started getting close to the bay. They asked to maintain vfr and that they could not see me. I recycled the transponder and called again when I saw Bravo boundaries on Naviator. They were able to see me and told me to stay clear of Bravo. I started decending to 2500 and was going to descend to 1300 but saw marine layer , I called Norcal again and requested transition and told them I had to climb because of clouds, they allowed transition at 3500 straight to the RHV, (As half moon bay and rest of the coast was all covered with thick clouds along with poor visibility).

First time thru Bravo (they had to remind me of the altitude twice:rolleyes:), first time Golden gate bridge view, SFO view ......priceless.

Sam, Aeric and MakG, It would not have been possible without your guidance and ecouragement.

Sam, It was good learning experience. called oak 1500 hundered, they gave me a code and asked to stand by.......... I called when I started getting close to the bay. They asked to maintain vfr and that they could not see me. I recycled the transponder and called again when I saw Bravo boundaries on Naviator. They were able to see me and told me to stay clear of Bravo. I started decending to 2500 and was going to descend to 1300 but saw marine layer , I called Norcal again and requested transition and told them I had to climb because of clouds, they allowed transition at 3500 straight to the RHV, (As half moon bay and rest of the coast was all covered with thick clouds along with poor visibility).

First time thru Bravo (they had to remind me of the altitude twice:rolleyes:), first time Golden gate bridge view, SFO view ......priceless.

Sam, Aeric and MakG, It would not have been possible without your guidance and ecouragement.

Well done. :yes:

Good job.

NorCal made me transition Class B below 2000, and vis down there wasn't great (I estimate around 8SM) due to smoky haze. But that topped out at 3000. Had a fun Vno descent over San Quentin because I was at 3500 expecting to transition at that altitude.

The marine layer at KHAF is totally normal, with tops around 2000. Telling ATC about the clouds almost certainly got you a clearance you would not have gotten otherwise. NorCal must have been real busy. Below 2000 is SFO Tower's airspace. That far west, that wasn't an option for you due to the clouds (1000 above!), and the mountains are higher than that.

I'm glad it worked so well. There really isn't all that much to it, is there? The experience you had was about as tough as it gets. Clearances usually come with no hassle.

Now, you can take passengers through there. You know how good the scenery is.

Last edited:

Yeah, that pesky stratus moved in quickly. Quite a bit of smoke in the air. I could see the smoke plume from a controlled burn near Big Basin mentioned in this story.
http://abclocal.go.com/kgo/story?section=news/local/south_bay&id=9320093

I just heard about that burn today. It's out by Gazos Creek, kinda far from anywhere. Though it's more than a little upsetting there wasn't more notice to those of us who live in the region. This is a strange time of year for that sort of thing.

Not sure which strange plane was yours.

Great seeing everyone at Petaluma!

funny John! Several of us showed up at KMOD.
Great food as usual and the B-25 was a nice surprise!

Last edited:
I took one of my non pilot friends and his dad (visiting from Kansas) flew from RHV to HAF (first time to HAF), followed the coast to south about 15-20 miles and finally back to RHV. Poor visibility but amazing sceneries.

I took one of my non pilot friends and his dad (visiting from Kansas) flew from RHV to HAF (first time to HAF), followed the coast to south about 15-20 miles and finally back to RHV. Poor visibility but amazing sceneries.
That's similar to what I do when I just want to get away for an hour or two. I usually land at HAF, make the real short walk in to Princeton and grab a cup of clam chowder. A nice radical change of scenery in a short time. From Silicon Valley to seashore in minutes.:yes:

HAF is a really nice flight when the weather cooperates. It's just phenomenal in good visibility. It will happen.

Another good one, though quite a bit further, is Little River (LLR, near Mendocino). The flight over Pt. Reyes is truly phenomenal.

HAF is a really nice flight when the weather cooperates. It's just phenomenal in good visibility. It will happen.

Another good one, though quite a bit further, is Little River (LLR, near Mendocino). The flight over Pt. Reyes is truly phenomenal.
The route I took to the Boonville get-together took me over Pt. Reyes, it is spectacular.
A fly-in to LLR should be next!

I came back from Booneville that way. There was a tiny bit of onshore advection fog forming on the north beach, 3000 feet below and about 5 miles west. Clear everywhere else. Just an indescribable view.

Anybody going anyplace Saturday? I was thinking of a KHAF run, weather permitting.

LLR ( I dont know where this is ) or HAF either one. I want to fly saturday:yes:. But can only get there by 1400 local.

Anybody going anyplace Saturday? I was thinking of a KHAF run, weather permitting.

LLR ( I dont know where this is ) or HAF either one. I want to fly saturday:yes:. But can only get there by 1400 local.

I'm up for HAF, what say y'all?
And if it ain't vfr there, there's Beeb's with the babes at LVK. Cheap fuel too.:)

The food is a lot better at HAF. I can't join you, though. Got a gig. Fiddler on the Roof at West Valley.

I can do lunch Saturday, but I have to be back mid afternoon for a company party.

Beeb's with babes sounds interesting;). I am open for either one around 1400.

1400 will be a little late for me. I have to be back at the home drome by about 3:00 PM. We may be able to cross paths, though.

Thats fine. We can plan sooner and I will try to get there as soon as I can.

Yeah I could be up for either one. Sounds like a plan. HAF if the coast is clear, LVK if it aint. Say noon?

I have a plane booked for Saturday. I'm good with HAF or LVK.

1400 will be a little late for me. I have to be back at the home drome by about 3:00 PM. We may be able to cross paths, though.

Thats fine. We can plan sooner and I will try to get there as soon as I can.

Yeah I could be up for either one. Sounds like a plan. HAF if the coast is clear, LVK if it aint. Say noon?

Noon sounds good, HAF if no stratus, LVK if there is. For those that have not been to Beebs, it's next to the golf course, at the west end of 25R/7L. If you are coming from the south and you tell tower on initial call-up that you are going to Beebs, they might put you on 25R so you don't have to cross 25R on the ground. Same goes for if 7L/R is in use(not likely). It's a huge runway compared to 25L.
Anyone else, Keith? Goofy? Nick? Kim?, etc.?

It's looking pretty good for KHAF so far (knock on wood.) I also threw out an invite on the Purple Board.

any advice for where to park and where to go on HAF? Also, Any body bringing kids, my kids are insisting to go along.

any advice for where to park and where to go on HAF? Also, Any body bringing kids, my kids are insisting to go along.

Bring them. Park on the South ramp - just keep taxiing past the main ramp mid field all the way past the 30 numbers (South end of the field) and you will see lots of tie downs near the gate to get to town.

Look for some strange planes there too....

Seems fishing is allowed in the harbor, kids may enjoy that....:dunno:

Also fresh fish for sale to take home for dinner!

Last edited:
Back