Make DST permanent!

Would you prefer permanent Daylight Savings Time or Standard Time?

• DST

Votes: 44 52.4%
  • ST

Votes: 25 29.8%
  • Keep both (status quo)

Votes: 8 9.5%
  • Don't care (apathetic)

Votes: 7 8.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Edit: if you are seeing sun solstice at 1pm cst, then maybe the fix should be a time zone change for your area. You should not be more than 1/2 hour away (at noon) from sun solstice.

Well, maybe I exaggerated a little. According to https://gml.noaa.gov/grad/solcalc/, today my solar noon occurs at 1319 CDT. On the summer solstice, it occurred at 1336 CDT. It will occur at 1233 CST on the winter solstice.

Actually, the biggest benefit of not changing timezones for pilots is it will get rid of that dagger symbol in the chart supplement on control tower hours.

Y’all realize we went perma DST once back in the early 1970s and everybody north of Oklahoma City rebelled. Something about the sun not rising until nearly noon in the middle of winter.

Congress repealed the idiocy in the next term.

I remember that. It was a mess.

But some folks seem to think the results of permanent DST will be different this time....

I'm actually better with the sun not rising until near noon than I am about it going dark at 5:00 p.m.

I’d rather have the extra hour to sleep in the morning.

Yeah, the half hour time zone was a real puzzler when trying to ignore local time...

What amuses me most is that I can drive from Southwest Texas to Northeast Alabama and still be in the same time zone, even though the sunset is an hour different.

I’m a morning person, fly in the morning and ski in the morning. Give me light in the morning

6xxdnq.jpg

I voted for permanent DST.

If school hours are roughly 8 to 4 and work from 9 to 5, I value hours of daylight after school or work much more than before school or work. I grew up in Washington, D.C. and found it depressing to get off school or work with little or no hours of daylight remaining to play or accomplish tasks. Of course, we could accomplish the same thing by keeping ST and bumping school/work hours an hour earlier, but just keeping DST seems like it would require little or no adjustment for most of us.

If people want daylight after school and after work, then go to school and work earlier.

This isn't rocket science.

What's next, redefining the value of pi because 3.14... is too difficult to understand?

Without DST changes, how will I remember to check my smoke detector batteries?
Switch to a smoke detector with a 10 year battery. Smoke detectors have a 10 year lifespan, therefore you'll never have to change the batteries.

How often do you currently check your smoke detector expiration date?

DST in winter means kids would walk to school (wherever that happens) in the dark

Up here they do anyway.

Down HERE they do already too. The "walking to school in the dark" isn't a valid argument if it's currently happening anyway and nobody's trying to change it.

If people want daylight after school and after work, then go to school and work earlier.

This isn't rocket science.

Your view of the world is interesting if you think people can just decide for themselves when to go to school and work.

I'm solidly in the camp of "keep DST year round". Heck, I'd be okay with going to double DST in the winter. I don't care if I go to work in the dark, but I sure like some light remaining when I get home. Same thing when I was school age. Who cares if it's dark until 10 AM, you're in a classroom.

Your view of the world is interesting if you think people can just decide for themselves when to go to school and work.

think it through... for example, get the school system to change the start time...

you can't do that but are ok with the nonsense of making DST all year?

are ok with the nonsense of making DST all year?
Currently, most of us live in two time zones depending on the time of year - standard and DST. Serves little to no real purpose far as I can tell. So, changing to one or the udder would seem to make sense. And, given a choice, I would pick DST over the current standard. So, yea, I'm OK with the "nonsense" of setting the clock on what is now DST and leaving it alone.

Down HERE they do already too. The "walking to school in the dark" isn't a valid argument if it's currently happening anyway and nobody's trying to change it.

I'm solidly in the camp of "keep DST year round". Heck, I'd be okay with going to double DST in the winter. I don't care if I go to work in the dark, but I sure like some light remaining when I get home. Same thing when I was school age. Who cares if it's dark until 10 AM, you're in a classroom.

Yes yes yes yes yes like yes yes like like yes

I added a couple of more choices to the poll and you should be able to change your vote.

I suggest moving the clocks forward in the fall and then back again in the spring...

Fun Fact: It is always dark in a submarine. In an American submarine, it is also always GMT while underway. Try switching from midnight to 4 PM by opening a hatch. Talk about jet lag.

Moral of the story: Pick one and stick with it.

Time is not the problem, humans are. Some humans prefer daylight, some don’t. One group wishes to exercise control over the other.

Last edited:
Arizona (except for the Navajo Nation, which comprises roughly the northeast quadrant of the state) does not recognize DST. That's fine; in the summer we don't really need another hour of daylight in the evening. But it's still somewhat confusing when the rest of the country switches back and forth between standard and daylight time, and we bounce between being aligned with the Pacific or Mountain time zones.

If the country were to settle on year-round DST, I'd hope that Arizona would just switch to the Pacific time zone and be done with it.

Time is not the problems, humans are. Some humans prefer daylight, some don’t. One group wishes to exercise control over the other.

Time is not the problems, humans are. Some humans prefer daylight, some don’t. One group wishes to exercise control over the other.

If we had permanent Standard Time, that would be fine too, those of us that do like daylight would adjust accordingly.

That said, hearing Dolly Parton sing "eight to four" just wouldn't sound right.

Sorry, but permanent DST is just stupid.

The whole point of DST was to shift business and government operating hours on a seasonal basis to give people more time to do things in the evening light without forcing them to do things in the dark in the morning. We could have just kept standard time and everybody could just adjust their schedules twice a year, but try and get everybody to do it… and pay for printing new “hours of operation” signs twice a year, adjust everybody’s schedules, etc… it’d be a mess. The DST/ST switch accomplishes it with the least disruption.

I still remember when they changed to year-round DST during the 1970s energy crisis. I hated getting up and walking to school in the dark. Auto accidents increased because more people were driving in the morning dark (and many people with vision problems are incapable of driving in the dark). And it didn’t even accomplish the desired result (saving energy) because people simply used energy in the morning instead of the evening. It worked about as well as mandating 85mph speedometers in cars did to keep people from speeding.

If we changed to year-round DST, clocks would permanently not match the real astronomical time, i.e. the sun is at the zenith at 12:00 noon local time. Yes, I know it isn’t now, except somewhere around the middle of each time zone, but at least it’s closer to reality. Permanent DST means the clocks are all off by an hour, permanently, and that’s just dumb. So if we must, go to standard time, and adjust operating schedules just once, permanently.

+1 for Permanent DST or Standard time.

Last edited:
Where I live in Canada, we don’t do DST. We’re always on Standard time. I like it that way. It’s annoying that everyone else is still jumping back and forth. I don’t really care if it’s DST or ST year round but pick one and stick to it. Personally, I rather have more light in the evening vs. the morning but I know some of you are early birds so it’s just a personal preference.

I added a couple of more choices to the poll and you should be able to change your vote.
My choice still isn't available. No switching, but don't care which.

Damn it! Seems like every year the idiots in congress talk about stopping the daylight/standard time insanity, and yet, here we are again, just weeks away from condemning ourselves to longer nights. And don't explain that we're not actually making nights longer. I get it. We all get it. The practical effect of standard time is a longer period of wakeful darkness.

Right now, I get up at around 6 am and get to bed around 10 pm. Today sunrise was at 7:38 am PDT and sunset is at 6:10 pm. That's about 10 hours 32 minutes of "daylight." Even if it takes me 90 minutes in the morning to breakfast, shower, and caffeine up, I get to experience the entire 10:32 of daylight. If we went to standard time tomorrow, sunrise would be around 6:38 am and sunset at 5:10 pm, shortening my useful daylight hours by an hour.

It's stupid and it sucks.

The thing I get a hoot about is seeing how many people moan about DST (and associated time meddling) during the winter months, when it is the summer months that DST is in effect.

My choice still isn't available. No switching, but don't care which.
Agreed. At work I handle a lot of questions about metadata, and determining when something happened in a different time zone and different time of year is a PITA sometimes.

Agreed. At work I handle a lot of questions about metadata, and determining when something happened in a different time zone and different time of year is a PITA sometimes.
Oh, yes.

It was a pain working with companies in Indiana in the early 2000's, when individual counties selected which time zone they wanted to be in, and whether or not they observed DST.

I finally started calling the front desk of companies we were dealing with on the morning of any meeting, to ask whoever picked up the phone what time their watch said right now.

Otherwise, no on could ever get all parties on the phone at the same time.

The "What Time is it in Indiana" website archive, with maps and charts:

https://web.archive.org/web/20061118064049/http://www.mccsc.edu/time.html#what

there was a fun “west wing” episode where the campaign guys (I think they were campaigning) screwed up time zone stuff and missed their ride

The DST changeover is how I remember to get night current again. Without it, I'd have to figure out a different system.

Back