Make DST permanent!

Would you prefer permanent Daylight Savings Time or Standard Time?

• DST

Votes: 44 52.4%
  • ST

Votes: 25 29.8%
  • Keep both (status quo)

Votes: 8 9.5%
  • Don't care (apathetic)

Votes: 7 8.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
The thing I get a hoot about is seeing how many people moan about DST (and associated time meddling) during the winter months, when it is the summer months that DST is in effect.
These are the people voting(in the thread poll) for permanent DST. They are in the lead right now.

If they had permanent DST they wouldn't have to moan in the winter.

Where I live in Canada, we don’t do DST. We’re always on Standard time. I like it that way. It’s annoying that everyone else is still jumping back and forth. I don’t really care if it’s DST or ST year round but pick one and stick to it. Personally, I rather have more light in the evening vs. the morning but I know some of you are early birds so it’s just a personal preference.

I'm an early bird and I still prefer more light in the evenings too.

These are the people voting(in the thread poll) for permanent DST. They are in the lead right now.

If they had permanent DST they wouldn't have to moan in the winter.

Possibly, but I am speaking about the endless folks complaining that politicians are messing up their clocks and lives every winter, and how the govmint should just keep their hands off.

Those who think they are for NO DST when they really want permanent DST.

The DST changeover is how I remember to get night current again. Without it, I'd have to figure out a different system.
There is this thing, ... it's called an "electronic calendar" with reminders.

Then they should just move 15 degrees east.

That would not solve the problem where I am. It would make it worse. Sunset is an hour earlier. 2244Z vs 2149Z. And I want permanent DST.

Now what?

There is this thing, ... it's called an "electronic calendar" with reminders.
Not as fun as getting out of work, noticing the sun is dipping below the horizon and remembering the flight bag is in the trunk.

man with one watch knows the time

man with two watches knows not the time

The real solution here is to stop having the government mandate time at all.
That would save everyone's money as well as time.

I'm all in favor of keeping the MAN out of our business, but time has to be established somehow or there would be mass confusion.

How about NO time zones? Let’s all just go to Zulu time.. Our daily schedules can be negotiated locally..

Zulu worldwide. I have seen so many virtual meetings get hosed up over time zone confusion that I really wish we’d all just set our watches the same. The last engineering project I worked had teammates from Egypt, Sudan, England, Florida, western Canada, and Colorado. Six different time zones before even considering DST-induced confusion.

Does anybody really know what time it is?
Does anybody really care?

I kinda liked this in principle but discarded it at first, but after thinking about it for a week, I'm firmly in this camp now. But, only if everyone switched to Zulu time. After a couple years your brain would wire "noon" to be 5pm, bedtime to be 2am, and wake up at 10am if you were in eastern, and an easy add an hour for every few hundred miles west you go. Within a generation we would never have to deal with time zones again.

Along with this, switching to 24 hour clock and ditching am/pm would also help.

...wat?

I just got off of a zoom call with participants from California, Texas, Maryland, and Dublin Ireland.

I can't even fathom how that happens without "gooberment mandated time" in some form

I kinda liked this in principle but discarded it at first, but after thinking about it for a week, I'm firmly in this camp now. But, only if everyone switched to Zulu time. After a couple years your brain would wire "noon" to be 5pm, bedtime to be 2am, and wake up at 10am if you were in eastern, and an easy add an hour for every few hundred miles west you go. Within a generation we would never have to deal with time zones again.

Along with this, switching to 24 hour clock and ditching am/pm would also help.

Of course, the wristwatch and coo-coo clock companies are going to hate our guts....

...wat?

I just got off of a zoom call with participants from California, Texas, Maryland, and Dublin Ireland.

I can't even fathom how that happens without "gooberment mandated time" in some form

Might be a fun conversation with your company diversity folks, though. Why shouldn't we honor an individual's personal choice about his own time zone?
;)

Might be a fun conversation with your company diversity folks, though. Why shouldn't we honor an individual's personal choice about his own time zone?
;)

I may identify as a gender-fluid Hawaiian, but I'd still have been fired for missing that call as it was presented in temporal space. :D

Sorry, but permanent DST is just stupid.

The whole point of DST was to shift business and government operating hours on a seasonal basis to give people more time to do things in the evening light without forcing them to do things in the dark in the morning.

How does that work? In the middle of winter, I'm driving to work in the dark, and returning home in the dark. DST in the winter would at least give me some daylight on the way back from work.

How does that work? In the middle of winter, I'm driving to work in the dark, and returning home in the dark. DST in the winter would at least give me some daylight on the way back from work.
Most people aren't driving to work or going to school in the dark during the winter... unless they're on DST.

Most people aren't driving to work or going to school in the dark during the winter... unless they're on DST.

In New England, and basically the northern part of the USA and all of Canada would disagree with you. There are large populations in the world where in the middle of winter there is less than 9 hours of daylight. So unless, people work fewer hours in winter, some part of the trip will be in the dark.

Tim

You obviously never lived in the northwestern part of any time zone. DST or ST, you're driving to work in the dark in December and January. Sunrise is an hour later here than where you are. Sunrise doesn't happen until after 8am in December.

Just work from home for 16 hours a day and never go outside, problem solved.

I disagree. All depends on which end of the time zone you are on. Or if you don't start driving to work until mid-day.

Sun doesn't rise until after 8:00 in the morning, just across the border from CST/EST line in Indiana, as an example.

Chicago
Wednesday, December 21, 2022 (CST)

Sunrise -- 7:15 AM
Sunset -- 4:23 PM

Fowler, Indiana
Wednesday, December 21, 2022 (EST)

Sunrise -- 8:10 AM
Sunset: 5:25 PM

<edit> Edfred beat me to it. :D

Last edited:
My MOST favorite summer activity is waterskiing after work until 9p! The only way that is possible is with DST. Selfish, I know, but I absolutely love the long summer days. I'm sleeping through the early morning daylight hours anyway. :)

In New England, and basically the northern part of the USA and all of Canada would disagree with you. There are large populations in the world where in the middle of winter there is less than 9 hours of daylight. So unless, people work fewer hours in winter, some part of the trip will be in the dark.
I live in New England, where sunrise in my town is at 7:12am in 12/21. Since it gets light before sunset, I'm not driving to work in the dark. Ditto for where I went to school in NY state, where sunrise is 5 minutes later. But with DST it'd be dark, and in both places I get home before sunset even without DST.

Granted there will always be people who are traveling in the morning dark, there would be a lot more driving in the dark if we had wintertime DST... and the accident statistics when it was tried bore that out. And people didn't like it, otherwise they'd still be doing it.

I live in New England, where sunrise in my town is at 7:12am in 12/21.

If sunrise is at 7:21, when is sunset? 4:15 ish? Yuck. The earliest sunset gets is about 5:15 here, and that's still way too early for me.

Ugh. Just pulled up White Pine, MI on the same day.

Sunrise is 8:40 am on Dec 21 this year.

On the other hand, sunset is 9:56 pm in June, so you can do yardwork outside until well after 10:00 pm while the kids fuss because they can't go to sleep in the daylight.

Chicago
Wednesday, December 21, 2022 (CST)

Sunrise -- 7:15 AM
Sunset -- 4:23 PM

Fowler, Indiana

Sunrise -- 8:10 AM
Sunset: 5:25 PM

White Pine, MI

Sunrise -- 8:40 AM
Sunset -- 5:13 PM

White Pine, MI
Wednesday, June 21, 2022 (EDT)

Sunrise -- 6:05 AM
Sunset -- 9:56 PM

I'm all in favor of keeping the MAN out of our business, but time has to be established somehow or there would be mass confusion.

Kind of self contradictory. I think you meant to say, "I'm partially in favor of keeping the MAN out of our business".

Last edited:
https://apnews.com/article/mexico-b...e2626?utm_source=Connatix&utm_medium=HomePage
"MEXICO CITY (AP) — Mexico’s Senate approved a bill Wednesday to eliminate daylight saving time, putting an end to the practice of changing clocks twice a year....
The law would go into effect Sunday, when Mexico is scheduled to turn clocks back for the last time."​
Just in time, one might say...
I recently read that some of the states in New England also want to end DST but they also want to change New England from the Eastern time zone to the Atlantic time zone. Doing that would essentially make them year round DST.

I say we split the difference and adjust time back by 30 minutes. Problem solved. :D
There is a "local time" for every location on earth.
Personally, pick one time, and keep it year round, doesn't matter which one.

Back