Make DST permanent!

Would you prefer permanent Daylight Savings Time or Standard Time?

• DST

Votes: 44 52.4%
  • ST

Votes: 25 29.8%
  • Keep both (status quo)

Votes: 8 9.5%
  • Don't care (apathetic)

Votes: 7 8.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I recently read that some of the states in New England also want to end DST but they also want to change New England from the Eastern time zone to the Atlantic time zone. Doing that would essentially make them year round DST.

That actually is a way around the Federal law. And that report came out almost a decade ago, seems to be slowly getting traction for New Hampshire, Vermont and Massachusetts to do so. Oh, the timezone is called Atlantic.
The basic details are, States are allowed to skip DST, however the State must utilize a "standard time". So the solution in New England is to use the Atlantic time which is one hour ahead of EST. And then skip DST changes.
I think Massachusetts already passed the law (I know it came up and was debated to some degree), but not positive, which says they will make the change as soon as the other two states do. Basically a trigger law.

Tim

I live in New England, where sunrise in my town is at 7:12am in 12/21. Since it gets light before sunset, I'm not driving to work in the dark. Ditto for where I went to school in NY state, where sunrise is 5 minutes later. But with DST it'd be dark, and in both places I get home before sunset even without DST.

Granted there will always be people who are traveling in the morning dark, there would be a lot more driving in the dark if we had wintertime DST... and the accident statistics when it was tried bore that out. And people didn't like it, otherwise they'd still be doing it.

Dana,

Boston sunrise is 7:10am and sunset is 4:14pm; which is 9 hours and 4 minutes. Not many jobs will allow you to arrive at 7:40am, and leave at 3:40pm (assume 8 hours working, with no lunch), let alone commute time.
As for trying DST in the 70s. Please provide actual statistics showing the increase in deaths. Because from what I have read, the numbers were actually statistically insignificant, as in there was not enough of a change to be able to make any inference.
Did people hate it? Yes, and they were very vocal about it. Did they latch onto any excuse they can to end it? Yes.

Lastly, not sure about where you live. But the numbers of kids today who "walk to school" like I did in the 70s, is way down.

Tim

Dana,

Boston sunrise is 7:10am and sunset is 4:14pm; which is 9 hours and 4 minutes. Not many jobs will allow you to arrive at 7:40am, and leave at 3:40pm (assume 8 hours working, with no lunch), let alone commute time.
As for trying DST in the 70s. Please provide actual statistics showing the increase in deaths. Because from what I have read, the numbers were actually statistically insignificant, as in there was not enough of a change to be able to make any inference.
Did people hate it? Yes, and they were very vocal about it. Did they latch onto any excuse they can to end it? Yes.

Lastly, not sure about where you live. But the numbers of kids today who "walk to school" like I did in the 70s, is way down.

Tim

Also why would driving in the morning while it is dark be more dangerous than driving at night when it's dark? Sounds like people were at best cherry picking stats.

Fo my family, darkness in the morning is no big deal. Darkness in the evening is a bummer!

It's currently DST now, (right?...I always forget which is DST and which is standard).... My three kids have all biked/walked to elementary and middle school....the middle school students in my county are currently going to school in the dark and have been since August...while the high schoolers will be coming home not long before sunset when the time changes next month.

I work 7 to 4, and have a 15 minute commute. Not that unusual.

Also why would driving in the morning while it is dark be more dangerous than driving at night when it's dark? Sounds like people were at best cherry picking stats.

A lot of people, like me, don't have to drive to work in the dark at all.

Even kids who take the school bus are still waiting by the side of the road... in the dark? My kids took the bus... but walked to the bus stop.

Fo my family, darkness in the morning is no big deal. Darkness in the evening is a bummer!

It's currently DST now, (right?...I always forget which is DST and which is standard).... My three kids have all biked/walked to elementary and middle school....the middle school students in my county are currently going to school in the dark and have been since August...while the high schoolers will be coming home not long before sunset when the time changes next month.

DST is March-Nov.

This has all been done before. Full time DST was initiated in 1974, and ended a year later when public support dropped and Florida school kids died. Plus bonus Nixon stuff.

This is one of those issues that will never make everyone happy. This turns into eastern side vs. western side of every time zone complaining they don't like dark mornings or dark afternoons.

During the 1973 oil embargo by the Organization of Arab Petroleum Exporting Countries, in an effort to conserve fuel, Congress enacted a trial period of year-round DST, beginning January 6, 1974, and ending April 27, 1975. The trial was hotly debated. Those in favor pointed to increased daylight hours in the summer evening: more time for recreation, reduced lighting and heating demands, reduced crime, and reduced automobile accidents. The opposition was concerned about children leaving for school in the dark and the construction industry was concerned about morning accidents. After several morning traffic accidents involving schoolchildren in Florida, including eight children who were killed, Governor Reubin Askew asked for the year-round law to be repealed.

Over three months from December to March, public support dropped from 79% to 42%. Some schools moved their start times later. Shortly after the end of the Watergate scandal caused a change of administration, the act was amended in October 1974 to return to standard time for four months, beginning October 27, 1974, and ending February 23, 1975, when DST resumed. When the trial ended in October 1975, the country returned to observing summer DST (with the aforementioned exceptions).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daylight_saving_time_in_the_United_States

That actually is a way around the Federal law. And that report came out almost a decade ago, seems to be slowly getting traction for New Hampshire, Vermont and Massachusetts to do so. Oh, the timezone is called Atlantic.

If Maine isn't on board, they'd be an island of Eastern time situated on the 'wrong' side of a couple of Atlantic time states.

I work 7 to 4, and have a 15 minute commute. Not that unusual.

Around here it is. 8 or 9 starting time and leaving at 5 is standard practice. As I work on the busiest artery in the city and on occasion have gotten up early and come in, I notice inbound traffic doesn't get heavy until 730-800 and then at 1730 it stacks up big time going outbound.

While we’re @ fixing the amount sunlight, any ideas on getting 27 hours into a day? ;)

Back