I'm too old to push my 182

Discussion in 'Flight Following' started by AlphaMike, May 28, 2020.

1. murphey

murphey Final Approach PoA Supporter

Display Name:

Display name:
    murphey
    Still looking for it.....may have archived it on a backup drive.

WannFly likes this.
  2. WannFly

WannFly Final Approach

Display Name:

Display name:
    Priyo
    i sent an email to them, yet to hear back. the best tugs A3 is pretty expensive

3. Martin Pauly

Martin Pauly Pre-takeoff checklist PoA Supporter

Display Name:

Display name:
    Martin Pauly
    I have a "Nose Dragger" tug for the Bonanza. A local flying club I've also used has a "Best Tug". The Best Tug is much, much nicer (and, yes, more expensive).

- Martin

4. Ghery

Ghery Touchdown! Greaser!

Display Name:

Display name:
    Ghery Pettit
    I just checked the POH for the 172N and the 182P. I found nothing addressing this question in either one. Either I missed it (entirely possible) or it isn't there (also possible).

It was great fun looking through those manuals. They talk about instruments I haven't seen in years (decades?). We've come a long way since the mid 1970s. :D

5. denverpilot

denverpilot Tied Down PoA Supporter

Display Name:

Display name:
    DenverPilot
    Never seen it either but know that area where it’s attached can be damaged pretty easily. I believe you want the tie down ring to be a certain hardness/softness so it deforms first, and I’ve heard of people breaking things back there when the airplane is stuck or chocked and they’re cranking away with an electric winch.

On the other hand, Cessna sold a factory glider tow package attached in the same place for the 182.

Soooo it’s one of those “your mileage may vary” things and don’t winch the airplane over obstacles or through deep snow or whatever.

Rolling resistance shouldn’t be that much force on it. But some people have no sense of what they’re doing.

(We see people pushing rentals around by the spinner all the time. Probably taught by their young CFI to never touch a prop out of “safety” so... well, guess what you get... LOL.)

There’s other more solid attach points that something could be fashioned for a 182 if someone was handy and creative. But done without added stupidity... I wouldn’t be concerned to pull my airplane by that ring.

6. Doug Reid

Doug Reid Pre-takeoff checklist

Display Name:

Display name:
    Doug Reid
    I think most of us are smart enough to not engage the pto if we use a riding mower as a tug....sorry you are not in the group.

7. NordicDave

NordicDave Pattern Altitude PoA Supporter

Display Name:

Display name:
    NordicDave
    It was a joke with a smiley face punchline.

8. MajorTurbulence

MajorTurbulence Pre-takeoff checklist

Display Name:

Display name:
    MajorTurbulence
    This has been my approach also regarding my fitness. I have a slight incline to push the plane to its tie down, but if I had a lip to get into the hangar, I’d be in trouble without help.
    Having said that, a friend donated a nonfunctional Powertow to me. After $200 tuneup with carburetor, and buying the adapter to fit my front wheel fairing for $125, I have a functioning unit. If I was in a hangar, using and storing it would be easy. Since it is outdoors and chained with a cover to the chain linked fence, it is a bit of a pain to use. So most of the time I still just push it back unaided.

9. WannFly

WannFly Final Approach

Display Name:

Display name:
    Priyo
    I have been puling / pushing by hand for 3 years now, i have a lip and a dip in the concrete right in front of the hangar. its interesting to say the least when its covered with ice. there are times, i will call the FBO tug because its impossible to move the plane even with 2-3 guys. but a old shoulder injury has been bothering me for a while...

10. AlphaMike

AlphaMike Pre-takeoff checklist

Display Name:

Display name:
    AlphaMike
    I’m not physically unable to do it. I’m just too old to do it. LOL does that make since? I’m in pretty good shape, I exercise often, cardo and weigh training. I just find myself looking at the plane and thinking “now I’ve got to push that sucker all the way over there, this sucks, got to be a better way!” and the older I get the stronger I feel like that. Plus, the weather is starting to get warmer, I don’t need to get all sweaty before I get into a hot plane. So, when I say I’m too old for this, its really me saying I don’t what to do it anymore. Maybe I’m getting a little lazy I don’t know… ;)

Pilawt likes this.
  11. Checkout_my_Six

Checkout_my_Six Touchdown! Greaser!

Display Name:

Display name:
    Check_my_Six
    honestly.....it's a great feeling to just hook up....pull it out....and hook up and push it back in when yer done. ;)

12. Unkljohn

Unkljohn Pre-takeoff checklist

Display Name:

Display name:
    Unkljohn
    I’m in a big open hangar w about 10 other planes, so sometimes I have to move 2 or even 3 just to get to mine. The cumulative effects of that have me wanting a tug, especially as it gets warmer!

13. bnt83

bnt83 Final Approach PoA Supporter

Display Name:

Display name:
    Brian
  14. Snowmass

Snowmass Pre-takeoff checklist

Display Name:

Display name:
    Arturo
    My concern is that I do not push myself to my endurance limit I will get even older a lot faster. I do not accept aging well. No pain go gain has been verified more than once. But, as I said earlier, over inflating the tires can significantly help.

15. Salty

Salty Final Approach

Display Name:

Display name:
    Salty
    it does make sense, but personally, if I start finding easy ways to do daily tasks I'll end up NOT being fit enough pretty quick. It's one of those things I refuse to give up, like walking stairs instead of taking an elevator if it's less than 4 flights of stairs.

16. AlphaMike

AlphaMike Pre-takeoff checklist

Display Name:

Display name:
    AlphaMike
    Snowmass and Salty
    I totally get what you guys are saying. I actually enjoy exercise and partake regularly. I love getting on my Peloton bike and doing an hour ride every chance I get. (Then its straight to the shower) I guess I’m just picking my times for exercise. I’m one of those guys that sweats quickly! Lol I know its gross Lol! I admire you both for your dedication though. If I was in a T hanger I might think differently. Right now, I have to push the plane about 50 yards or so up a grade, down a grade then over the sliding door tracks then over some uneven concrete slabs. It’s not crazy hard to do but again I’m not looking to get my workout done before and after each flight. Who knows maybe ill get the tug and decide I’m a sissy for using it? If so, ill sell it and maybe look into AC for the plane. :)

17. Salty

Salty Final Approach

Display Name:

Display name:
    Salty
    Uh. Ignore what I said. Buy the silly tug. :D

AlphaMike likes this.
  18. Cervieres

Cervieres Pre-takeoff checklist

Display Name:

Display name:
    Antione
    I’m in the market for a tug and had the exact same thought. There are quite a few used lawn tractors in my area in the $200-400 range. Plus it would be a fun project to restore the tractor and convert it for use in the hangar.

19. hotprops

hotprops Line Up and Wait

Display Name:

Display name:
    hotprops
    I have a nice nose dragger dragger for sale the better version as it uses 12v car battery. like new .needs a battery .sams club boat battery $58. its in sw florida. cost $2k sell $800 just goog Dragger

20. hotprops

Display Name:

Display name:
    hotprops
    most riding mowers don't have a sturdy place to mount a ball hitch or pintail hook on the front.no workie on the back .

21. SoCalPilot88

SoCalPilot88 Pre-takeoff checklist

Display Name:

Display name:
    SoCalPilot88
    When I’m too old to push I’ll get a good tug and keep flying for a few more years.

22. Checkout_my_Six

Display Name:

Display name:
    Check_my_Six
  23. Sinistar

Sinistar En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    Brad
    every lawn tractor I've owned or used has a place for a hitch on the back. Our Hangar JD AWS 277 has a hitch on back. It came with a snowplow attachment up front. If you remove the plow blade and leave its base we can mount a 2nd 2" ball on the front. The back is great for pulling. The front is great for pulling and marginal for pushing over very short, very straight pushes. $325 for everything used including the chains for winter. Lots of good used tractors out there w/o mower decks.

24. TheFB

TheFB Pre-takeoff checklist

Display Name:

Display name:
    TheFB
    Weird. My IA has used three random riding mowers he got for free (mower parts did not work) for over 20 years. Yep, give up...it’ll never work.

25. denverpilot

denverpilot Tied Down PoA Supporter

Display Name:

Display name:
    DenverPilot
    Checkout_my_Six likes this.
  26. Snowmass

Snowmass Pre-takeoff checklist

Display Name:

Display name:
    Arturo
    Checkout_my_Six and denverpilot like this.
  27. hotprops

Display Name:

Display name:
    hotprops
    I said "most" lawn tractors/ride mowers/cheap .not something like a John deer

28. MountainDude

MountainDude Pre-takeoff checklist

Display Name:

Display name:
    MountainDude
    Can you please tell us the total damage, with adapters and shipping? And yes, we are looking forward to the pirep.

29. MBDiagMan

MBDiagMan En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    Doc
    So, how old are you, that makes you too old for it?

Last edited: Jun 21, 2020
  30. Checkout_my_Six

Display Name:

Display name:
    Check_my_Six
    Well ....they do make a pill for that. o_O

31. Stewartb

Stewartb Final Approach

Display Name:

Display name:
    stewartb
    I saw on Facebook that Mike says a "carry on" tug is in the works. That has no place in my life but some of you guys may want to watch for it.

32. weirdjim

weirdjim Ejection Handle Pulled

Display Name:

Display name:
    weirdjim
    Oh, WINCH. I thought you said WENCH, and that makes the job a lot easier. :cheers:

JIm