I'm too old to push my 182

Can you please give us a review of your best tug A3?

I've had it almost a year now and it's been outstanding! Very well made, plenty of power, easily moves my 182 full of fuel up slopes and over thresholds. I would give it a 9.5 out of 10. The only reason I don't give it a 10 is because the battery charger that comes with it is not powerful enough to charge the battery if it drops below about 40%. I did this once and the oem charger would not charge the batteries. I contacted support, they let me know I would need a regular car battery charger to get it back above 50%. You have to disconnect the 2 batteries and charge them separately. So, I just don't let it get that low again. Other than that, its just about perfect! I would 100% recommend it.

I've had it almost a year now and it's been outstanding! Very well made, plenty of power, easily moves my 182 full of fuel up slopes and over thresholds. I would give it a 9.5 out of 10. The only reason I don't give it a 10 is because the battery charger that comes with it is not powerful enough to charge the battery if it drops below about 40%. I did this once and the oem charger would not charge the batteries. I contacted support, they let me know I would need a regular car battery charger to get it back above 50%. You have to disconnect the 2 batteries and charge them separately. So, I just don't let it get that low again. Other than that, its just about perfect! I would 100% recommend it.

Thank you for the pirep. Very useful. It's unbelievable their charger has that deficiency. If it was 1921, I'd forgive them...

Hard to imagine you’d run the battery that low given the digital battery meter on the A3. Maybe some guys are new to batteries? Mine sure works good.

Mine is shipping next week. Couldn't say no to the Sun N Fun show price!

Whenever I have asked Best for a show price, they always tell me they will give me something. Usually is is the LED light bar ($195 retail, almost nothing in cost). They always steer me to the B5 with a base price of $6500. The A3, which should be perfectly adequate has a base price of $3500. Note these are base prices and all the pictures you see are pretty well tricked out. There are at least 6 or 7 options on an A3. The LED light and regenerative braking are a couple of them. The B5 has many more options. If anyone knows any secrets to get a better price, please share.

For what these cost, a good used lawn tractor would likely be a lot cheaper

That's what my old flight school used. A green DEER mower with the deck removed and a pintal hitch welded to the rear. They also had a small blade for winter snow pushing around.

Would you be ok with an old riding mower and a tow bar? If so, plan to put a trailer hitch on the front and back…backing a tractor attacked to a nosewheel is no fun.

I looked at all the tugs on the market and was flummoxed at the prices they're getting for them. So I designed and built my own out of steel tubes from home depot. The power unit uses components from the electric scooter industry. It has a 48 volt lithium ion battery pack and a 1 Kw motor. I control the speed with a motorcycle style throttle. Total cost was about $300 for materials. Since it was a home design, there was a learning curve that involved some rework. I'm happy with the final result though.
Mbf1cxUl.jpg
J5uSEFkl.jpg
LEDxoItl.jpg
3HvqE3gl.jpg

The start of this video shows it in action:

The A3 is on my list, just not at the very top yet. Thinking of getting one later this year. When tanks are full, pushing the aircraft back into the T-hangar with a bit of upslope worries me that I may hit a wall with the tail or a wing tip. It just seems repairing a single incident could be about the purchase price of an A3...

But I would like to try one before I buy one.

Back