I got an iPhone!!!!

iPhone Sync to Outlook

A friend of mine purchased an iPhone and is trying to get it to sync with Outlook. He was on the phone with Apple support for 2 1/2 hours last night without success. I tried to help him today. I did all the steps I could find online, and it looks like it's working, but after all the smoke clears there are still no contacts, no email, no nothing on his iPhone.

Anyone had experience with this? iCouldUseSomeDirection.

Re: iPhone Sync to Outlook

A friend of mine purchased an iPhone and is trying to get it to sync with Outlook. He was on the phone with Apple support for 2 1/2 hours last night without success. I tried to help him today. I did all the steps I could find online, and it looks like it's working, but after all the smoke clears there are still no contacts, no email, no nothing on his iPhone.

Anyone had experience with this? iCouldUseSomeDirection.

C'est faux!! Its an Apple product!!

Sorry, had to chime in. I have no experience (obviously) with the iPhone, so I can't give advice. I bet a phone running Windows CE or equivalent would sync properly.

C'est faux!! Its an Apple product!!
I feel sure this is an Outlook issue, not an iPhone issue (as much fun as that would be).

As a side note, he gave me a tour of his phone. I thought (and this is going to hurt a little) that it did not suck as much as I expected it to. In other words, it was actually pretty cool looking. Then again, my G-whatever was cool looking on the showroom floor. We'll see how it turns out, but I'm prepared to stand corrected if it continues to work like it did during his demonstration.

I feel sure this is an Outlook issue, not an iPhone issue (as much fun as that would be).

As a side note, he gave me a tour of his phone. I thought (and this is going to hurt a little) that it did not suck as much as I expected it to. In other words, it was actually pretty cool looking. Then again, my G-whatever was cool looking on the showroom floor. We'll see how it turns out, but I'm prepared to stand corrected if it continues to work like it did during his demonstration.

Checking the weather...the temperature in hell is 4 degrees C and dropping rapidly...

A thought: Does he have any security software loaded? It can deny access to the Outlook address book to stymie worms like "I Love You." In an update years ago Microsoft made it so you would get an "allow/deny" for address book access. I wouldn't put it beyond Norton et al to make it impossible to "allow."

A thought: Does he have any security software loaded? It can deny access to the Outlook address book to stymie worms like "I Love You." In an update years ago Microsoft made it so you would get an "allow/deny" for address book access. I wouldn't put it beyond Norton et al to make it impossible to "allow."

Good call. I'll check it out.

Checking the weather...the temperature in hell is 4 degrees C and dropping rapidly...

Note to self... no more Mr. Nice Guy.

I think I've just been inspired on what conditon in which to return my Treo. :D

Boy, that felt good. Nice video.

Problem solved with the Outlook sync. I tried everything including reinstalling Outlook. It became obvious that the problem was with the Outlook iTunes Sync Addin. When it was selected Outlook crashed. After three hours of failed attempts to make it work, we uninstalled Office 2003 and installed Office 2007. Everything worked like a charm. My friend offered to buy me an iPhone to thank me for the help. No thanks.

Boy, that felt good. Nice video.

Problem solved with the Outlook sync. I tried everything including reinstalling Outlook. It became obvious that the problem was with the Outlook iTunes Sync Addin. When it was selected Outlook crashed. After three hours of failed attempts to make it work, we uninstalled Office 2003 and installed Office 2007. Everything worked like a charm. My friend offered to buy me an iPhone to thank me for the help. No thanks.

With friends like that, who needs enemies? :rofl::rofl::rofl:

I just don't agree... It's a lot of bells and whistles and "ooh-and-ahh" inducing schmaltz... okay, okay, it's actually really cool looking :D... but there's just very little meat there. Like you said, the only thing it has that current devices don't is a full browser (and while that's pretty sweet, that's hardly the stuff of game-changing revolution). And I'm just not of the school of thought that believes taking existing capabilities and slapping a better UI on top of them is "revolutionary". It's the RDF at work. Functionality wise, there's no "there" there.

Well... After having the iPhone for a month and a half...

The other night I wanted to order a pizza. Hmm, yellow pages is all the way upstairs, and I'm not. Whip out the iPhone, tap "Maps" (Google Maps), tap the search field, type "glass nickel pizza". Four location pins drop onto the map. I tap the closest location, tap the arrow next to it, and it shows a screen basically exactly like the details for one of my contacts (address, phone number, web site, etc.). Tap the phone number. "Hello, Glass Nickel, how may I help you?"

Typing in "glass nickel pizza" took less time than finding Pizza and going to G in the yellow pages even if it had been sitting on the desk next to me, and doing everything else took fewer taps (5) than even typing their phone number would have (10, woulda still been 7 even if they were in the same area code...) Very slick.

Perfect? Nope. Closer to it than any other cell phone? Heck yeah.

BTW, since getting the iPhone I've used my laptop a LOT less. It's basically always online and it's excellent for grabbing those little tidbits of info you need or want at random times of the day. I've been keeping up with reading posts on it, and I've made some posts with it. The longer posts I do from my laptop as I can still type faster with a real keyboard, though the iPhone keyboard works surprisingly well once you understand it (ie, I had to get over my perfectionist nature and let the phone automatically correct my mistakes!)

The hacking folks did come up with a way to tether with the iPhone but I'm chicken and I don't want to brick my $600 baby quite yet, so for now when I actually want to get online with my laptop I'm just swapping my SIM card back into my old phone. I do this rarely enough that it doesn't really bother me, but I'm still hoping to have a nicer way to do this soon. :yes:

Kent,
When we were talking on the phone the other night was that your iPhone? Do you attribute the multiple drops to the phone, the provider, or the area of Ohio you were in at the time?

Well... After having the iPhone for a month and a half...

The other night I wanted to order a pizza. Hmm, yellow pages is all the way upstairs, and I'm not. Whip out the iPhone, tap "Maps" (Google Maps), tap the search field, type "glass nickel pizza". Four location pins drop onto the map. I tap the closest location, tap the arrow next to it, and it shows a screen basically exactly like the details for one of my contacts (address, phone number, web site, etc.). Tap the phone number. "Hello, Glass Nickel, how may I help you?"

Typing in "glass nickel pizza" took less time than finding Pizza and going to G in the yellow pages even if it had been sitting on the desk next to me, and doing everything else took fewer taps (5) than even typing their phone number would have (10, woulda still been 7 even if they were in the same area code...) Very slick.

Perfect? Nope. Closer to it than any other cell phone? Heck yeah.

BTW, since getting the iPhone I've used my laptop a LOT less. It's basically always online and it's excellent for grabbing those little tidbits of info you need or want at random times of the day. I've been keeping up with reading posts on it, and I've made some posts with it. The longer posts I do from my laptop as I can still type faster with a real keyboard, though the iPhone keyboard works surprisingly well once you understand it (ie, I had to get over my perfectionist nature and let the phone automatically correct my mistakes!)

The hacking folks did come up with a way to tether with the iPhone but I'm chicken and I don't want to brick my $600 baby quite yet, so for now when I actually want to get online with my laptop I'm just swapping my SIM card back into my old phone. I do this rarely enough that it doesn't really bother me, but I'm still hoping to have a nicer way to do this soon. :yes:

I can do all of that with my Wing, running Windows Mobile 6. The only thing I can't do (yet, until I figure out how), is initiate a phone call by looking up the number in Google Maps.

Kent,
When we were talking on the phone the other night was that your iPhone? Do you attribute the multiple drops to the phone, the provider, or the area of Ohio you were in at the time?

Yes, that was the iPhone. It was also the particular area of Ohio I was in causing problems. My last phone (also with AT&T), I couldn't even make a call in that zone at all. So, the iPhone really is a pretty darn good phone as well as having all the neato features.

I can do all of that with my Wing, running Windows Mobile 6. The only thing I can't do (yet, until I figure out how), is initiate a phone call by looking up the number in Google Maps.

I could have done darn near everything I do with the iPhone with my old Sony Ericsson W600i, and I could do a lot of things the iPhone can't.

But I *didn't.* Most of the features in the old phone were wasted. The UI really does make that big of a difference... I *use* the features on the iPhone because it is so absolutely dirt simple to do so. And that's why I didn't use the features that were there on the last phone for the most part - It just took too darn many keystrokes to set that custom ringtone, or play an MP3, or find something on the web. A couple of things, such as speed dial, were such a pain I had to actually look at the manual (UGH!) every time I wanted to change them.

I was just thinking today, that an iPhone with a smaller screen that had nothing but the phone app's functionality and a much smaller price tag would make HUGE inroads into the non-"smart" phone market. Just a plain 'ol cell phone that has a UI that makes some freakin' sense.

Kent, among all the heat and noise about the iPhone (and, for that matter, Macs), is just what you reference- they may not be materially better in any one area, but they are looking better at connecting the user with what he or she needs to do, and that means a lot.

OBTW, my nephew pointed something very, very useful out to me: rather than (for example) calling 411 on the cellphone ($$$), if you are looking for something/someone, you just text the person / thing you are looking for to "GOOGL" (46645), and it immediately replies with a (nearly always useful) answer. Example: we were helping him move into new house, someone forgot to call and have the water turned on ("I thought it just stayed on...")- texted "Dallas water Utilities" to 46645, and it replied in about 3 seconds with the full name, address and phone number for City of Dallas, Water Utilities department. On the Treo, I just tapped the phone number, it dialed. Ba-da-bing.

So I texted, "Perth, Australia" and it replied with basic info on Perth, and a map link on which I could click.

Neat stuff.

I use the google text all the time... especially when I traveled frequently for work and I'd forget to note the client's address before leaving. Also, if you text a movie title and your zip code it will give you show times at the nearest theater.

Wow, I didn't know about the Google text thing. That's cool. (Most of what Google does, is.)

Of course, now that I can use the "real" Google quite easily from anywhere, I don't really need the SMS version do I? ;) :D

So I hear that the latest Apple software 'bricks' any iphones that have been modded. Given that AT&T/Cingular is involved, I'm not surprised. Not at all.

The news reports that APPLE assumes the mods are "security issues" and have provided an update to resolve them.
What they really should do is hire the kid that did it. He proved he can tinker their hitech toy.

So I hear that the latest Apple software 'bricks' any iphones that have been modded. Given that AT&T/Cingular is involved, I'm not surprised. Not at all.

Yeah, and I finally hacked my iPhone last week.

I added a couple of ringtones (for FREE thankyouverymuch).

Then, I installed a couple of games.

Finally, I installed an HTTP proxy server. How cool is that? So, my phone's not acting as a modem, it's acting as a full-out proxy/router type thing... It's sharing the EDGE connection through WiFi, which beats the hell out of Bluetooth for this stuff anyway.

I'm sure the hackers will have the latest update cracked soon enough. Apple tried to close some holes with both the 1.0.1 and 1.0.2 firmware updates and they were quickly cracked. The "unlock" crack that allows use with non-AT&T networks took a lot longer, and only came out about 3-4 weeks ago for the first time.

"Jaws" (Joszwiak) even hinted that they really don't care if people hack the phone to put third-party apps and such on it. I'm sure they DO care about people going non-AT&T though as Apple actually gets revenue from the service plans.

I wonder what they're gonna do when all those AT&T 2-year contracts start to run out... ???

You hear wrong. What Apple said is they won't guarantee support for hacked iPhones. They said, "Firmware hacks may brick your phone," which is about the same thing that any firmware hacker will tell you. They aren't going to reflash phones if the owner manages to brick it.

The idea that an iTunes or iPhone firmware update will brick your phone if it's hacked is (so far) FUD, that Apple and AT&T don't mind is out there.

What Apple is very likely to do is offer new features like iTunes purchases over wireless that will only work if you have the new factory firmware.

You hear wrong. What Apple said is they won't guarantee support for hacked iPhones. They said, "Firmware hacks may brick your phone," which is about the same thing that any firmware hacker will tell you. They aren't going to reflash phones if the owner manages to brick it.

Nothing "bricks" the phone. The new firmware update does break all of the hacks... The hackers have not even managed to "jailbreak" the 1.1.1 phones yet (yet being the operative word). Once they do that, it'll be on to the next round of installing third-party apps, and then finally unlocking the phone to get it off AT&T's network.

The European release in November should make things interesting, as I've been told that in Europe it's illegal to force customers to go with a certain carrier...

posting from an iphone at the apple store in downtown portland. I'm very impressed with the browser on this thing as well as the whole unit. Sigh, no AT&T in alaska...otherwise I'd be sold.

posting from an iphone at the apple store in downtown portland. I'm very impressed with the browser on this thing as well as the whole unit. Sigh, no AT&T in alaska...otherwise I'd be sold.

Buy one unlocked.

I hate to admit it (I mean, I REALLY hate it) but one of the CAs up here has one and it is kind of cool. For being a Mac, at least.

I love my iPhone! My son bought it for me a few months ago. It has been incredibly useful, especially during and after our ice storm. It has helped to keep me connected to the world since we lost our power 5 days ago.

Folks can say what they like about the iPhone, but I don't know anyone who has gotten one and does not like it. YMMV.

Back