I got an iPhone!!!!

I think they're called "add-ons" now, or something. I dunno, whatever they're called, they're not as effective as ActiveX or .dlls are.
Are you referring to Firefox Add-ons/extensions? If so--wtf--because that is teh same on Windows or Linux. Apple has nothing to do with that.

Its easy, but its no Windows Mobile. The Blackberry 83xx and 88xx series are, IMHO, the best of the Blackberry series for internet usage.

That's true, as a Pocket PC, it's not as good as the ones I used to carry (although my Sprint wireless broadband connection has eliminated that need thank God), but as a communications device, it's much better and more reliable.

No, I have. Quick, pretty, but still organized in dumb ways like extensions (they may have changed the name to something else, but its still the same damn thing),

What the heck are you talking about? :dunno:

"Extensions" under OS 9 really have no analog in OS X. And yes, they used to cause a lot of problems when various different third-party ones conflicted.

the inability to run multiple instances of the same program without 3rd party software,

Huh? There is no such restriction. I don't know why you'd want to in most cases anyway. This is one of those things that is just plain different. In Windows, every window of a single program such as IE that you have open appears to be operating as a separate instance (though I'm not sure if that's actually what's going on under the hood). On the Mac, all the various windows of one program are kind of grouped together. It's just two different ways of operating, neither is better than the other.

Different strokes for different folks. I could (and did, for many years as a support rep) take a person who has not touched a computer and teach him how to send an email starting on the desktop. On a mac? Unless they're 8, its not intuitive.

Uhhh... What's so hard about clicking on "Mail" and then on "New Message?" :dunno:

And I'm half joking, but seriously, macs are not the beacon of user friendliness, they are the god of "Can't screw up because we don't trust you to have access to screw it up."

I have all the access you do in Linux. Open up the terminal - Mac OS X is Unix at its core, with all the capabilities thereof. However, you don't have to get into the command-line stuff if you don't want to, which is GOOD.

I think they're called "add-ons" now, or something. I dunno, whatever they're called, they're not as effective as ActiveX or .dlls are.

At doing what??? I have never gotten an alert on the Mac that says "Cannot launch xxx, because yyy.dll is missing."

Mac:
"Start the launcher....what is the launcher? Its the thing that starts programs. Well, yeah, I guess the OS could do it, but it doesn't...."

Uhhh... Again, what are you talking about? I've been a Mac user for 22 years, and I have never heard of the "Launcher." There are several ways to launch a program, and yes the OS *does* do it. The easy way is to just click on its icon in the dock, or in the Finder. The way most of us power users do it is how Jesse described, using Spotlight. Command-Space, type the first letter or three of the program, it pops up instantly and you hit return to launch. WAY faster than having to grab the mouse and mosey through the Start menu on Windoze...

Are you referring to Firefox Add-ons/extensions? If so--wtf--because that is teh same on Windows or Linux. Apple has nothing to do with that.

Wow - I actually stumped Jesse on a computer thing! That might be a first (and only).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extension_(Mac_OS)

Can't find a definition of addons. I'm assuming none of the 15 mac users has written a wiki article yet :D

Wow - I actually stumped Jesse on a computer thing! That might be a first (and only).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extension_(Mac_OS)

Can't find a definition of addons. I'm assuming none of the 15 mac users has written a wiki article yet :D
Of course I don't know what extensions are. They were part of Mac OS 9--which I've never used--you know that operating system that was replaced 7 years ago? I think you need a refresher on a modern Mac operating system before you complain about something that was replaced 7 years ago.

Of course I don't know what extensions are. They were part of Mac OS 9--which I've never used--you know that operating system that was replaced 7 years ago? I think you need a refresher on a modern Mac operating system before you complain about something that was replaced 7 years ago.

The point is that they still exist, they're just called something else....from my reading, it appears they're called "Addons," but I'm not sure.

The point is that they still exist, they're just called something else....from my reading, it appears they're called "Addons," but I'm not sure.
Things have changed. They aren't what they used to be. You need to get the OS 9 stuff out of your mind. The term 'Extensions' on Mac OS X is the exact same thing as a 'kernel module' on your Ubuntu Linux. Background applications run as Unix daemons--similar to your Ubuntu Linux.

You really can't attack 'extensions' on Mac OS X without attacking the entire Linux/Unix core.

The reason I like Mac OS is because it provides a smooth desktop environment on a core that I am already familiar with.

Last edited:

Nick... I've never heard of such a thing. I just used spotlight to search for "addon" and "add-on" (which, if it was part of the OS, would have showed up in the help files) but the only thing it found was a file called "Addon1.uax" which is apparently part of the sound system for Unreal Tournament (what? A GAME? On a MAC? No way! :rolleyes:). The only thing for "Add-on" was the definition in the dictionary. OK, there was a second thing for both: The cache file for this thread.

Whatever you think something might be called - Well, there's nothing in OS X analogous to the Extensions that existed in OS 9. OS X is stable, fast, and easy to use.

Nick... I've never heard of such a thing. I just used spotlight to search for "addon" and "add-on" (which, if it was part of the OS, would have showed up in the help files) but the only thing it found was a file called "Addon1.uax" which is apparently part of the sound system for Unreal Tournament (what? A GAME? On a MAC? No way! :rolleyes:). The only thing for "Add-on" was the definition in the dictionary. OK, there was a second thing for both: The cache file for this thread.

Whatever you think something might be called - Well, there's nothing in OS X analogous to the Extensions that existed in OS 9. OS X is stable, fast, and easy to use.
Kent--there is an Extensions directory System/Library/Extensions which houses kernel modules and their applicable services. Same concept as a Linux kernel module.

Kent--there is an Extensions directory System/Library/Extensions which houses kernel modules and their applicable services. Same concept as a Linux kernel module.

Still not analogous to the OS 9 variety that caused so many problems, I don't think.

So, back to the iPhone conversation...

I just installed the 1.1.4 update on my iTouch and of course, lost all of my 3rd-party apps. When I try to Jailbreak it, the device just gets stuck on a Unix script screen on startup and I have to restore it. So, since they just released the SDK, I'll just wait until those applications are offered in an "official" library... I just hope that Apple doesn't pull a Micro$oft and start charging for the things that I used to have for free.

Speaking of things Apple charges for, I spent the $20 and got the "January Software Update", which includes the remainder of the core iPhone apps (the iTouch only came with Safari, Calendar, Contacts, YouTube, Clock, and Calculator). So now I've added Mail, Stocks, Maps, Weather, and Notes.

Just having Mail is worth the $20 to me, I just still wish it was free. It works great for my Pop3 accounts and my Yahoo mail account, but now I need to get my IT guy to turn on IMAP support on our exchange server so I can get my work email on there too. I hear that in June they're supposed to release full Exchange support without the IMAP requirement, so maybe I should just wait for that (that may be quicker). Also, I wish that they would support Hotmail.

Stocks are of no use to me, but I've had some fun playing with the Maps. The fact that they mapped out a lot of the wireless networks is cool but scary. I was on my home network and hit the locate me button and it placed me at my old apartment, so I guess they haven't updated it in the last 6 months. Unfortunately, the iTouch can't do the cell tower triangulation that the iPhone can, so you can only really use the directions if you pull them up while you're connected and then just hit the "Next" button as you pass each waypoint on your route.

Oh, another cool thing with 1.1.4 - it supports VPN access, so I can set it up to sign in to my work VPN which will be useful once I can get Exchange going on it.

BTW, although you can't directly access the file system, if you have a jailbroken iPhone or iTouch, you can install a freeware FTP server, which will allow you to FTP into the file system.

I just installed the 1.1.4 update on my iTouch and of course, lost all of my 3rd-party apps. When I try to Jailbreak it, the device just gets stuck on a Unix script screen on startup and I have to restore it. So, since they just released the SDK, I'll just wait until those applications are offered in an "official" library... I just hope that Apple doesn't pull a Micro$oft and start charging for the things that I used to have for free.

Speaking of things Apple charges for, I spent the $20 and got the "January Software Update", which includes the remainder of the core iPhone apps (the iTouch only came with Safari, Calendar, Contacts, YouTube, Clock, and Calculator). So now I've added Mail, Stocks, Maps, Weather, and Notes.

Just having Mail is worth the $20 to me, I just still wish it was free. It works great for my Pop3 accounts and my Yahoo mail account, but now I need to get my IT guy to turn on IMAP support on our exchange server so I can get my work email on there too. I hear that in June they're supposed to release full Exchange support without the IMAP requirement, so maybe I should just wait for that (that may be quicker). Also, I wish that they would support Hotmail.

Stocks are of no use to me, but I've had some fun playing with the Maps. The fact that they mapped out a lot of the wireless networks is cool but scary. I was on my home network and hit the locate me button and it placed me at my old apartment, so I guess they haven't updated it in the last 6 months. Unfortunately, the iTouch can't do the cell tower triangulation that the iPhone can, so you can only really use the directions if you pull them up while you're connected and then just hit the "Next" button as you pass each waypoint on your route.

Oh, another cool thing with 1.1.4 - it supports VPN access, so I can set it up to sign in to my work VPN which will be useful once I can get Exchange going on it.

BTW, although you can't directly access the file system, if you have a jailbroken iPhone or iTouch, you can install a freeware FTP server, which will allow you to FTP into the file system.

Apple charges for software updates? Ouch! Never heard of a company pulling that before for mobile phones (well, yes I have, Compaq used to do it with the iPaq. Seen an iPaq lately?)

Apple charges for software updates? Ouch! Never heard of a company pulling that before for mobile phones (well, yes I have, Compaq used to do it with the iPaq. Seen an iPaq lately?)

The update is a charge for iTouch owners, not iPhone owners. iPhone owners get it free.

They don't charge on the iPhone. They do charge on the iPod Touch. They have to, thanks to a stupid law. (Google "Sarbanes-Oxley".) Since you're paying monthly for the iPhone, they don't have to charge for the iPhone.

Stupid? Yeah. But don't blame Apple for this one, blame the congresscritters.

Blah blah 3G blah.

Who cares? So the data will get a little faster. IMHO, it's plenty fast already. 3G is rolling out rapidly on the AT&T network, but I still get over 90% of my data from EDGE on my 3G data card.

Then, there's the reason the iPhone didn't have 3G to begin with: Battery life. I'll be interested to see what they do about that. (OBTW, "confirmed" by someone who is "very, very close" and predicted to happen at WWDC? Gee, that's a real stretch! :rolleyes:)

For an example of how darn good the iPhone's battery life is: I charged my phone Thursday night on the way to Philly for the FlyBQ. I next plugged it in on Monday night (4 days later) after making numerous phone calls and loading TAF's and radar and such a number of times as well as quite a few other web sites. Sweet. :yes:

I just bought my Touch a few weeks ago and it had all those new nifty things on it! I really like having Mail (why I bought it) and I also like having Maps and Stocks...

Yeah, I really like having the mail on there. My IT guy still hasn't turned on the IMAP support, but that's fine because I hear through the rumor mill that there will be a software update to the Touch in June that will allow full Exchange support w/o IMAP. I hope that's true and I hope it works!

Now if they would just let it interface with Hotmail...

Yeah, I really like having the mail on there. My IT guy still hasn't turned on the IMAP support, but that's fine because I hear through the rumor mill that there will be a software update to the Touch in June that will allow full Exchange support w/o IMAP. I hope that's true and I hope it works!

AT&T wants Exchange support to open the iPhone to business customers. They can push both Apple and Microsoft to make it happen.

Now if they would just let it interface with Hotmail...

THAT problem you can solve.

Yes, I'm aware you can use a gmail account with the iTouch, but...

Someone is still using Hotmail? :eek:
Yes, it's an account I've had for many many years, I have a lot of my personal emails going to it (instead of my work or museum accounts), and I really don't want to change. I see nothing wrong with it and no major benefit to switching to GMail. In fact, I see a disadvantage to switching to GMail because not all of their servers respond to Reverse DNS lookups so therefore some mail servers (such as the one at my company) won't accept mail from GMail accounts.

Yes, it's an account I've had for many many years, I have a lot of my personal emails going to it (instead of my work or museum accounts), and I really don't want to change. I see nothing wrong with it and no major benefit to switching to GMail. In fact, I see a disadvantage to switching to GMail because not all of their servers respond to Reverse DNS lookups so therefore some mail servers (such as the one at my company) won't accept mail from GMail accounts.

Then use Yahoo mail with domain keys....and within a year your new account will be on Hotmail. :D

I see a disadvantage to switching to GMail because not all of their servers respond to Reverse DNS lookups so therefore some mail servers (such as the one at my company) won't accept mail from GMail accounts.

Hey, that is so 2006. Might want to check into the latest info, as far as I know Gmail's issues with that were corrected some time ago. If you really care I can dig up the blog entries.

Hotmail isn't too bad, so long as you pay for the premium features. If you enable POP3 access (for a fee) as far as I know it will work on your iPhone, though not as nicely as IMAP.

Then use Yahoo mail with domain keys....and within a year your new account will be on Hotmail. :D

Yeah, I have a Yahoo account too, but not too much goes to that. I just have too much currently going to Hotmail.

Hey, that is so 2006. Might want to check into the latest info, as far as I know Gmail's issues with that were corrected some time ago. If you really care I can dig up the blog entries.

Hotmail isn't too bad, so long as you pay for the premium features. If you enable POP3 access (for a fee) as far as I know it will work on your iPhone, though not as nicely as IMAP.

Still an issue with GMail - no email from GMail accounts gets through to my work email address, or anybody's email in my company. Tried and true.

I'll have to look into the Hotmail POP3 thing - I was grandfathered in to interfacing Hotmail with Outlook w/o a fee, so maybe that will be the case with the POP3 access. Outlook just uses http integration for Hotmail, since it's a M$ site.

Still an issue with GMail - no email from GMail accounts gets through to my work email address, or anybody's email in my company. Tried and true.
Perhaps one should lay the blame on your IT department for not fixing an e-mail problem with one of the largest e-mail providers? Just my opinion.

Perhaps one should lay the blame on your IT department for not fixing an e-mail problem with one of the largest e-mail providers? Just my opinion.

You just don't understand how big corps (not)work. :p

Yeah, I've asked about it quite a bit and the answer I get from our IT dept (consisting of two people, one of whom is completely worthless, so I asked the other guy) is that it's due to the reverse DNS lookup. Why don't we disable the reverse DNS, you ask? Well, we are bound by the rules of PCI compliance since being a payment card portal is one of the things we do.

You just don't understand how big corps (not)work. :p

Or small ones, as is the case with my situation...

Yeah, I've asked about it quite a bit and the answer I get from our IT dept (consisting of two people, one of whom is completely worthless, so I asked the other guy) is that it's due to the reverse DNS lookup. Why don't we disable the reverse DNS, you ask? Well, we are bound by the rules of PCI compliance since being a payment card portal is one of the things we do.
I don't see how the rules of PCI apply to your e-mail unless you are transmitting credit card numbers via your e-mail which would make complying with PCI near impossible (unless it is all encrypted. If you are going to do that. No reason to use email).

PCI DSS v 1.1 Requirement 4.2: Never send unencrypted PANs by e-mail.

There is nothing in PCI with regards to reverse DNS on e-mail. All the DSS says is don't use e-mail for credit card numbers and if you do encrypt it. This sounds like an IT guy making excuses with big buzz words that sound complicated.

You can read the spec here. :
http://jesseangell.com/forums/pci_dss_v1-1.pdf

Last edited:

Or small ones, as is the case with my situation...

I gotta agree with Jesse on this one. I've read the entire spec (and live it daily) and I think he's pulling that one out of his butt.

It's something IT guys do. "We can't help you because we have to abide by <insert name of something you don't understand here>. You wouldn't want me to do something that would jeopardize the future of our company just so you can <insert name of something that is trivial for them to fix but they don't want to>."

I gotta agree with Jesse on this one. I've read the entire spec (and live it daily) and I think he's pulling that one out of his butt.

It's something IT guys do. "We can't help you because we have to abide by <insert name of something you don't understand here>. You wouldn't want me to do something that would jeopardize the future of our company just so you can <insert name of something that is trivial for them to fix but they don't want to>."
Well, now that you've told, we'll just have to shoot you.

Well, I'll be damned! I swear I'm not an idiot - I know a little about the PCI stuff, but I haven't read the spec. I'll be talking with him tomorrow.

Well, I'll be damned! I swear I'm not an idiot - I know a little about the PCI stuff, but I haven't read the spec. I'll be talking with him tomorrow.
Big difference between idiocy and ignorance. We try like heck around here to cure ignorance! :yes::goofy: Let us know what happens!

So, last night my main computer crashed and a wind storm messed up our satellite dish, so all I have left is my iPhone...thank goodness for my iPhone!

I used to use Hotmail years ago, then they cancelled my account because I hadn't used it in 3 months (I was offshore), I've had my Yahoo account since then, and have been very happy with it, although, every now and again, they will resend me every email I have ever been sent on that account and it takes me forever to clean up my Outlook. Oh yeah, I do pay the $20 a year for the Plus so I get pop3. It also works fine with my Crackberry.

OK.

I got an iPhone.

I don't like it. :rolleyes:

I have much fixin' and tweaking to do.

Back