I got an iPhone!!!!

Just kidding. :D
I was gonna say...

Who accepted the sexual favors since it's not to be released until 1800EDT? :eek:

Anyone who buys one right now has to be nuts. You never trust the first release of anything!

I got a laugh out of the fact that on the the iPhone commercials, I was apparently calling it!

You wanna get one? Go to http://store.apple.com at 6PM Eastern. You'll have it by Tuesday. So hard. *sigh*

It IS, BTW, gonna take over the smart phone market. The others guys had, what, 6 years to remove the suckage in their products, but NOOOOOOOOOOOO......:dunno:

Last edited:
I'll get one if it's free, no contract and unlocked. :)

So you won't get one. They'll really miss not having your 1 among those sold out by Wednesday.

I think it's funny how there's already talk about suing Apple for not making more. It's not life support, folks.

I just don't get all the hubbub. It's a cell phone fer cryin out loud. Granted, a pretty fancy one, but a cell phone. :dunno:

Build in a WAAS capable GPS with an Americas Jeppesen database and I'll consider one. A 6 megapixel camera with 28-300mm (35mm equivalent) zoom and image stabilization would help, too.

I'm intrigued by the new computers using flash memory instead of a spinning hard drive. Sony has one (4 1/2" screen and the stupidest keyboard I've seen). I suspect that's the future.

I just went by the local ATT store to see how things were going.. Not a single person in line. The workers haven't even seen one yet so they can't go over the features or entice anyone to buy one until 6. They shut down the store at about 4PM to get software updates from ATT and to set everything up for tonight. Opening back up at 6PM. Greenwood City Police are at the store to make sure there aren't any mac fanatics trying to steal one.

It runs on Edge.

There will be a LOT of VERY unhappy customers.

This will not live up to the hype.

And how many hours can I fly for $600????

Cell phone in this hand, about 8 hours hobbs in this hand...hhmmm

Alex, I'll take hobbs for $600 please. :)

It runs on Edge.

The rep here said ATT is pushing UMTS to all markets because of the iPhone, and of course the iPhone has WLAN built in, so that's an added "bonus" (I put it in quotes because every phone I've seen with Wi-Fi has a HORRENDOUS battery life when the Wi-Fi is enabled).

You wanna get one? Go to http://store.apple.com at 6PM Eastern. You'll have it by Tuesday. So hard. *sigh*

It IS, BTW, gonna take over the smart phone market. The others guys had, what, 6 years to remove the suckage in their products, but NOOOOOOOOOOOO......:dunno:

Actually no it won't. By Apples own admission they are merely looking for a 1 1/2% share of the cellular phone market. Even THEY realize that it will not penetrate too far as they are targeting a limited segment and the price point will preclude a lot of entry.

Just for the record, my Treo does everything I need it to, including play MP3s, has a full function keyboard, and I can tether it to my laptop.

The things I'd say ATT has going for it is that the iPhone has the allure of being the "ultimate" cell phone, unlimited data means unlimited data at Cingular (though on EDGE, I guess it doesn't really matter), and it's slightly cheaper to have the iPhone each month (at least in my case, 100$ vs 80$).

As much as I hate Verizon, I just don't know if I could justify the initial cost.

I just went by the local ATT store to see how things were going.. Not a single person in line. The workers haven't even seen one yet so they can't go over the features or entice anyone to buy one until 6. They shut down the store at about 4PM to get software updates from ATT and to set everything up for tonight. Opening back up at 6PM. Greenwood City Police are at the store to make sure there aren't any mac fanatics trying to steal one.

I just drove past the stores in MSN, as I'm thinking about getting one...

East side: At least 30 people in line as of 3:00 PM.
West side: A handful (or maybe 6) as of 3:25 PM.

I was gonna wait for gen 2, but my current 1.5 year old Sony Ericsson is already having issues with the connector used for charging/headset/everything. It doesn't like 2 of my 3 chargers now, and the headset is sometimes finicky too. Too bad, it's a nice phone otherwise, and it's held up quite well to a lot of abuse - I don't know how many times I've dropped it onto hard, sometimes very rough surfaces and the screen still doesn't have a single scratch. It already does a lot of things the iPhone will (camera, mp3's), and some things it won't (Pilot My-Cast, FM radio) but it doesn't make things very easy.

So, hopefully later tonight or tomorrow... :goofy:

I was gonna wait for gen 2, but my current 1.5 year old Sony Ericsson is already having issues with the connector used for charging/headset/everything. It doesn't like 2 of my 3 chargers now, and the headset is sometimes finicky too. Too bad, it's a nice phone otherwise, and it's held up quite well to a lot of abuse - I don't know how many times I've dropped it onto hard, sometimes very rough surfaces and the screen still doesn't have a single scratch. It already does a lot of things the iPhone will (camera, mp3's), and some things it won't (Pilot My-Cast, FM radio) but it doesn't make things very easy.

I might have to buy one and sell it on eBay :D

So the iPhone doesn't change Apple's business model? You'd think they'd grow tired of super-hyping inferior products. Sigh.

It's a good thing I didn't have to go in there this afternoon for any REAL customer issues. :(

Stop. You can't tether your laptop with an iPhone. You're better off getting a replacement Sony(ugg!)-Ericson on eBay.

I might be looking for an 8525 some sucker early adopter sells.

Last edited:
So the iPhone doesn't change Apple's business model? You'd think they'd grow tired of super-hyping inferior products. Sigh.

You're fun nee. They sold only 100 million "inferior" iPods.

You keep holding that finger in the dike.

Last edited:
Actually no it won't. By Apples own admission they are merely looking for a 1 1/2% share of the cellular phone market. Even THEY realize that it will not penetrate too far as they are targeting a limited segment and the price point will preclude a lot of entry.

Not the cellular market. The smart-phone market.

The only close-to-non-sucky smart phone competition is the Blackberry...and maybe almost, could be, the Treo. Neither has a viable web browser.

Kent,

Don't do it!!!

Even you know what Apple's first gen products are like. You might as well send me $500 and I'll send you a box full of dog crap. It'll pretty much be the same experience only without the hope that gets dashed.

I've always admitted that they make good products...except for the first gen anything.

Get this. I just bought an iPod from Apple. I can't get the tracking on my shipment because they currently have a "Please wait until 6PM Pacific" on the store. Dumb.

I was able to pull the tracking number out and get it direct from FedEx.

I don't feel happy that I saw the truck zipping down the street an hour ago. Can you say, "I could tell he wasn't home even though I never touched the brakes?"

The tracking says it's still out for delivery.

Stop. You can't tether your laptop with an iPhone. You're better off getting a replacement Sony(ugg!)-Ericson on eBay.

Says who??? Of all the people ripping on it, I hadn't heard that one.

I'll probably keep the Sony charged up for when I want Pilot My-Cast, maybe I'll have to keep it for tethering too. Of course, I bet by the end of the weekend somebody's got it tethered.

Says who??? Of all the people ripping on it, I hadn't heard that one.

I'll probably keep the Sony charged up for when I want Pilot My-Cast, maybe I'll have to keep it for tethering too. Of course, I bet by the end of the weekend somebody's got it tethered.

Nothing to tether to. The Bluetooth only supports mono(!) headphones.

It doesn't even work as a hard disk, so the USB capability is limited.

Sit tight, bro.

http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php?t=1189367

Well sitting on my passenger seat is an 8GB iPhone. Kent, want it? :)

so let me get this straight.... this thread started with William joking about getting an iPhone.... and now he actually has one....

weird....

so let me get this straight.... this thread started with William joking about getting an iPhone.... and now he actually has one....

weird....

Very Freudian, huh? I can resist.. . I can quit any time...really I can. :p

Just for the record, my Treo does everything I need it to, including play MP3s, has a full function keyboard, and I can tether it to my laptop.

The things I'd say ATT has going for it is that the iPhone has the allure of being the "ultimate" cell phone, unlimited data means unlimited data at Cingular (though on EDGE, I guess it doesn't really matter), and it's slightly cheaper to have the iPhone each month (at least in my case, 100$ vs 80$).

As much as I hate Verizon, I just don't know if I could justify the initial cost.

Suurrree.... You've been spotted.
978.gif

Lots of people keep using the word "revolutionary". Yawn. I'll not be buying it for these reasons:

1. EDGE. You can slap all the schmancy UI stuff and browser functionality you want into a device, but if I use it and start craving mid-1990's level bandwidth, it won't matter one hoot.
2. Keyboard. Even the Apple demo has the user slooooowly typing hunt-and-peck style. No good for those of us who look to handhelds to give us a little added freedom from the desktop communication-wise.
3. No wireless iTunes. Seriously, other than a glitzy UI (which I will give Apple some props on), why would I consider ditching my iPod and my Blackberry for something that has lousy network connectivity (see #1) and diminishes my overall communication ability (see #2) and doesn't get me any added convenience or functionality?
4. It's locked down. It's gonna be quite some time before you see any non-Apple Inc. produced apps for this thing. So I've got a browser, a camera, a phone, and an iPod in one device. Big whoop: I also get lousy email, lousy network connectivity, and zero new functionality.
5. I'm not paying to be a beta tester. I beta test my own stuff all day long. :D

Seriously, people who go out and buy the iPhone are paying for a spiffy UI, the opportunity to help Apple troubleshoot their product, and nothing more. And they're spending $500-$600 plus a $2000 2-year commitment for it. The whole thing is silly. Reality Distortion Field at its finest.

Now, give me wireless iTunes, a real SDK for people to make killer apps, real network connectivity, the ability to do VoIP via WiFi, actual email, and no vendor lock-in, and I'll consider it. But even then, I won't shell out $600.

Revolutionary? Hardly.

Last edited:
Seriously, people who go out and buy the iPhone are paying for a spiffy UI.

That's actually one of the things that really concerns me with it, the touch screen. iPhone isn't the first. I've had several renditions of the pocket PC Phone Edition (finally gave up on them) and one of the really annoying things was that if I was outside and sweating and talked on the dang thing, it would be two hours of the thing drying out before I could use the touch screen again, even to make a call. I'll Beta test the thing, but they gotta give me one. I won't treat it like a prized toy, I'll treat it like a work tool and we'll see how it does.... I've got a Motorola Razr and a USB WWAN card from Sprint. I pay a bit more each month, but at least I have crap that works now.

Back