I got an iPhone!!!!

I also have the iPod Touch and I LOVE IT!!! I can connect to the internet anywhere I can jump on a wifi signal, and I have mine hacked so I have a couple dozen games and applications. I frequently use it for email and for checking/posting on my various forums. I also subscribe to many audio and video podcasts, so it's great for that too! ForeFlight is a MUST if you have either the iPhone or iPod Touch.

Foreflight came out with version 2.1 of their iPhone app today on the iTunes store. Now the airport directory database is stored on your phone's native memory instead of online, for offline use. Some other changes. If you already have it you'll want to check for the free upgrade.

Also they have a separate iPhone checklist app that is interesting, if you want to pay $14 for it. Comes with a bunch of common plane types already loaded or cyou can create your own customized checklist.

Last night we had dinner and a movie, all arranged at the last minute in the far southwest burbs.

"Don't you like Cajun? There's a Pappadeux near here,"

Yeah? Google maps on the iPhone. What your zip code? 'Papadeux near 6000xxx' "You mean in Westmont?"

It had a link to their web page which was worthless on the iPhone, but I had the address to put into the Nuvi. No need. The Nuvi knew where it was, too. :cool2:

So Karen in the Nuvi guides me though the heavy fog. (The restaurant is buried about a mile back in an industrial park. One of those deals where you might see it from the higway but you can't figure out how to get to it.)

So at the table, what movie do we want to see?

"Movies" app. "Use your current location?"

Theaters nearby....

Hollywood Boulevard! I always wanted to go there!

Showing.....
"Marley and Me" at 8:45.

We head out after a great dinner... The Nuvi didn't know from "Hollywood." No problem. The iPhone has the address. THAT the Nuvi can find. We go into the fog again. It's telling me I'll have to do a U-Turn. I decided to just make a left into the shopping center with the theater. :smile:

We had to kill some time. We visited a few stores but eventually just sat in the car. I entertained the lady by going through the free apps and games on the iPhone. (For some reason the sound on the games won't work. :dunno:) Bowling. Maze Finger, ESPN zone, Air Hockey... how exciting. :blush:

We head back in to the theater. In spite me having the same dread of fighting the rush of the crowd to the seats we get a nice spot at a table in the middle. The seats are great.

I pulled out the iPhone to check the review of the movie. The description was missing but it got 4 out of 5 stars AND you download the trailer! We watched that.

Hollywood Boulevard is great! It was enough to drive off my dread of going out to the movies. We got desert, popcorn with a $1 refill, and a constant flow of fresh soft drinks with a great server, not too much of a crowd, very comfortable seats and no hassles with any other patrons.

I'm thinking that my old Windows Mobile phone could have done some of this not as well, but the Movies app is only on the iPhone. Way cool.

Oh. The iPhone transparently hooked up via Bluetooth with the speaker phone in the Nuvi and I handled two important calls that way. :cool2:

Last edited:
Not knowing where you are going is 1/2 the fun.

EXCEPT for watching the trailer, I can do all of that on my Blackberry.

*shrug*

For the third quarter of 09 a firmware upgrade will provide cut&paste, MMS, stereo Bluetooth, landscape support for apps, Exchange/IMAP search, some upgrades for Safari such as autofill, and a global search function for the device. Still missing IMO: native video capability on the camera and full Bluetooth functionality.

Last edited:
EXCEPT for watching the trailer, I can do all of that on my Blackberry.

*shrug*
I can do all that on my Windows Mobile phone, but not as easy. I make up for it in being able to do SMS on a full QWERTY keyboard. The touch QWERTY keyboard in the iPhone and iTouch is a little too small and I am fat fingering way worse than I normally do.

On my Windoze mobile phone I use iExploder and Opera, neither of which work as well as the mobile version of Safari.

Bottom line is that there is a lot of good stuff on the iPhone but it is not perfect.

I can do all that on my Windows Mobile phone, but not as easy...
I recently made that switch, and I desperately miss the full qwerty keyboard of my old HTC, but for me, the difference between Opera on WM and Safari on iPhone is just night and day. Once I'd used Safari, it actually made using Opera "feel" even worse, and I eventually had to switch.

All the "phone stuff" on the iPhone is either comparable or a step down from my old phone, but the browser and the App Store apps far more than make up for it. So it's not "wins all across the board", but the advantages far outweigh the disadvantages, for my usage.

I might say "I could do all that stuff on my HTC..." if all I was talking about was the apps included with the iPhone, but once I bundle in the third-party apps, I can't say that any more.
-harry

All the "phone stuff" on the iPhone is either comparable or a step down from my old phone, but the browser and the App Store apps far more than make up for it. So it's not "wins all across the board", but the advantages far outweigh the disadvantages, for my usage.

LOL...too funny, and the crux of my problem with the iPHONE! You see it is a phone, or at least supposed to be a phone, FIRST! Too many are caught up all the other "kewl stuff" and forget, or ignore, that AS A PHONE, it is no any better, and in some cases worse, than many other phones out there.

LOL...too funny, and the crux of my problem with the iPHONE! You see it is a phone, or at least supposed to be a phone, FIRST! Too many are caught up all the other "kewl stuff" and forget, or ignore, that AS A PHONE, it is no any better, and in some cases worse, than many other phones out there.

I'm not sure what Harry's issue is, but as *a phone* the iPhone is by far the best cell phone I've ever owned. Noticeably fewer dropped calls than my last one, visual voicemail, etc. etc.

I'm not sure what Harry's issue is...
I'm defining "phone" as "the set of functionality typically present in other high-end examples of what we call a 'phone' these days", and not necessarily just the ability to talk to somebody far away.

But from that perspective, the iPhone falls down big-time from a lack of native support for MMS. My previous phone had a qwerty keyboard, which was far superior for texting, whereas the iPhone's "soft" keyboard is a compromise, made infuriating by the lack of support for landscape mode (which stretches out the keyboard into something far less unusable) in the current email and SMS apps. It also lacks the ability to capture video. I also find the device itself somewhat slippery and easy to drop, though that might be addressed somewhat with the right case.

Note that some of these (MMS and landscape mode for built-in apps) will be fixed with the 3.0 release.
-harry

I'm defining "phone" as "the set of functionality typically present in other high-end examples of what we call a 'phone' these days", and not necessarily just the ability to talk to somebody far away.

But from that perspective, the iPhone falls down big-time from a lack of native support for MMS. My previous phone had a qwerty keyboard, which was far superior for texting, whereas the iPhone's "soft" keyboard is a compromise, made infuriating by the lack of support for landscape mode (which stretches out the keyboard into something far less unusable) in the current email and SMS apps. It also lacks the ability to capture video. I also find the device itself somewhat slippery and easy to drop, though that might be addressed somewhat with the right case.

Oh. Well, then, your definition of it "falling short" as a "phone" and Tom's use of it as not being a good phone is inappropriate - Those aren't the phone functions you're complaining about!

FWIW, I could care less about MMS, and I like the "soft" keyboard - I can type amazingly fast with it. The trick is to NOT stop and correct your errors, let the phone do it for you. Just poke somewhere in the general direction of the key you want. For example, I once got only two letters right out of a nine-letter word and the phone corrected it.

I also prefer the smaller portrait keyboard - With everything closer together, I can type even faster. In fact, if I'm viewing Safari in landscape mode I'll usually turn it to portrait mode before I tap to type in a new URL. That said, the two-thumbs method works better in landscape mode - I'm just better at it with my right index finger.

I also prefer the smaller portrait keyboard - With everything closer together, I can type even faster. In fact, if I'm viewing Safari in landscape mode I'll usually turn it to portrait mode before I tap to type in a new URL. That said, the two-thumbs method works better in landscape mode - I'm just better at it with my right index finger.
Also--for those of you that say your fingers are too big or too fat for the iPhone keyboard you're just wrong. Have you seen Kent's hands?

It takes some getting used to. Once you do--it works as well as any other keyboard.

Also--for those of you that say your fingers are too big or too fat for the iPhone keyboard you're just wrong. Have you seen Kent's hands?

It takes some getting used to. Once you do--it works as well as any other keyboard.

That's another one of those obvious things that aint' so obvious to me (Like the mute switch. :redface: )

How do you select the suggestion it offers while you're typing?

Prolly another case of me being cursed with using computers since the 70s. I know too well that it can't be easy.

If you type in a word that isn't in the iPhone's dictionary, it will assume that you mistyped and choose a substitute word, which it will display in a tiny window near the word it is to replace. It will apply this substitution unless you explicitly tell it not to, by tapping the X in the tiny window.

So in order to enter a word that isn't in its dictionary, you are required to tap the "X" on the word that the iPhone decides you "really meant". If you're not paying attention, you'll end up with the iPhone's guesses substituted for words you typed in correctly, but which just aren't dictionary words.

BTW, I've heard this "you just have to get used to it" argument a lot. I've been using it for quite a while now, I think I'm used to it. My HTC was still better. There's value to a physical keyboard, the shape helps to "center" your fingers on the keys. I can do just fine on the iPhone, but it's inherently a step down from the qwerty keyboard. It's a compromise.
-harry

So in order to enter a word that isn't in its dictionary, you are required to tap the "X" on the word that the iPhone decides you "really meant". If you're not paying attention, you'll end up with the iPhone's guesses substituted for words you typed in correctly, but which just aren't dictionary words.
That was frustrating to me for awhile until I got it figured out. The "X" is a pretty small target to tap and I have small fingers.

That's another one of those obvious things that aint' so obvious to me (Like the mute switch. :redface: )

Keep typing. As soon as you hit space, period, comma, etc. it'll drop right in.

Prolly another case of me being cursed with using computers since the 70s. I know too well that it can't be easy.

Probably TOO easy. :rofl:

Settings>general>keyboard will allow you to deactivate auto correct and auto capitalization.
I like the auto-correct now that I have figured out how to bypass it when I need to do so.

If you type in a word that isn't in the iPhone's dictionary, it will assume that you mistyped and choose a substitute word, which it will display in a tiny window near the word it is to replace. It will apply this substitution unless you explicitly tell it not to, by tapping the X in the tiny window.

So in order to enter a word that isn't in its dictionary, you are required to tap the "X" on the word that the iPhone decides you "really meant".

After the second time you type the same thing and hit the X, it's automatically added to the dictionary.

FWIW, the dictionary is very extensive. Even things like "Cessna" were already in the dictionary.

BTW, I've heard this "you just have to get used to it" argument a lot. I've been using it for quite a while now, I think I'm used to it. My HTC was still better. There's value to a physical keyboard, the shape helps to "center" your fingers on the keys. I can do just fine on the iPhone, but it's inherently a step down from the qwerty keyboard. It's a compromise.
-harry

I dunno... I can't stand those tiny keys, 'cuz my fat fingers hit about 8 of them at a time. The iPhone lets me just get in the right general area and that's close enough, I never hit more than 1 at a time because it won't let you, etc... To each their own, I guess.

Last night we had dinner and a movie, all arranged at the last minute in the far southwest burbs.

"Don't you like Cajun? There's a Pappadeux near here,"

Yeah? Google maps on the iPhone. What your zip code? 'Papadeux near 6000xxx' "You mean in Westmont?"

It had a link to their web page which was worthless on the iPhone, but I had the address to put into the Nuvi. No need. The Nuvi knew where it was, too. :cool2:

So Karen in the Nuvi guides me though the heavy fog. (The restaurant is buried about a mile back in an industrial park. One of those deals where you might see it from the higway but you can't figure out how to get to it.)

So at the table, what movie do we want to see?

"Movies" app. "Use your current location?"

Theaters nearby....

Hollywood Boulevard! I always wanted to go there!

Showing.....
"Marley and Me" at 8:45.

We head out after a great dinner... The Nuvi didn't know from "Hollywood." No problem. The iPhone has the address. THAT the Nuvi can find. We go into the fog again. It's telling me I'll have to do a U-Turn. I decided to just make a left into the shopping center with the theater. :smile:

We had to kill some time. We visited a few stores but eventually just sat in the car. I entertained the lady by going through the free apps and games on the iPhone. (For some reason the sound on the games won't work. :dunno:) Bowling. Maze Finger, ESPN zone, Air Hockey... how exciting. :blush:

We head back in to the theater. In spite me having the same dread of fighting the rush of the crowd to the seats we get a nice spot at a table in the middle. The seats are great.

I pulled out the iPhone to check the review of the movie. The description was missing but it got 4 out of 5 stars AND you download the trailer! We watched that.

Hollywood Boulevard is great! It was enough to drive off my dread of going out to the movies. We got desert, popcorn with a $1 refill, and a constant flow of fresh soft drinks with a great server, not too much of a crowd, very comfortable seats and no hassles with any other patrons.

I'm thinking that my old Windows Mobile phone could have done some of this not as well, but the Movies app is only on the iPhone. Way cool.

Oh. The iPhone transparently hooked up via Bluetooth with the speaker phone in the Nuvi and I handled two important calls that way. :cool2:

The G1 will do all of that, except it can be spoken to the phone instead:

"Papadeaux 87120" gives the nearest Papadeaux.
"Movie showtimes" gives the movies at the nearest theaters and what time they're playing.
"Marley and Me review" gives the reviews for the movie.

That is without any additional software....you can even get directions:
"Present location to Papadeaux"

Android is nice. The G1 is not and Tmobile's coverage sucks.

A coworker of mine dropped his G1 and the camera broke. I dropped my iPhone off a motorcycle at 70mph and a car ran it over. My camera still works.

Android is nice. The G1 is not and Tmobile's coverage sucks.

A coworker of mine dropped his G1 and the camera broke. I dropped my iPhone off a motorcycle at 70mph and a car ran it over. My camera still works.
I like a lot of features on the Google Phone but there are a couple that are less than desirable.

The camera isn't what it's cracked up to be. It's very limited in that the view is far, too wide. If I take a picture of a plane 500' away, in the photo it appears twice as far.

The GPS is very inaccurate and sometimes has me located more than a mile away. That seems to defeat the emergency purpose of GPS receivers in cell phones.

I wish there was better G3 coverage but perhaps that will change in time. There have been only a few areas I've been where phone coverage was an issue. I sometimes think that may be more of a contractual issue between T-Mobile and the local carrier that may not quite be living up to terms of contracted coverage.

Overall, I've been quite happy with the phone. I just wish someone would produce a decent belt clip holder for the phone that will hold up to some abuse.

iPhone 3.0, anyone?

Can you say the iPhone as EFIS!!!!
Under iPhone OS 3.0, third-party software can have a far more intimate relationship with a device connected to the phone’s dock connector. Imagine a blood test kit for diabetics. A simple strip reader snaps to the bottom of the iPhone and instead of dumbly displaying a glucose reading, the phone app actively tracks your eating and blood levels over the course of the day and makes specific suggestions for snacks and meals based on today’s and historic data, and calculates needed insulin dosages based on activity.

and....can we imagine where THIS might be useful in aviation applications?

Maps will appear in every app where they can be the slightest bit helpful.

Hell, they’ll probably start popping up where they make no sense at all. Apple has wired up Google Maps so that developers can display a map without having to suss out the Google Maps API themselves. With 3.0, it’ll just take a few lines of code.

Apple also used this occasion to announce that turn-by-turn navigation had been taken off of the App Store’s no-fly list. Developers are now free to create apps that will guide you from Point A to Point B, help you find diners and gas stations along the way, and curtly mutter “Recalculating” when you’re grooving so intensely to Tower Of Power’s “What Is Hip?” that you fail to hear your iPhone urging you to take Exit 18A right now.

AND!!!!!!! FINALLY!!!! :aureola: You're stuck waiting out the storms in the FBO at Podunk Springs International with no WiFi and ....

Oh, and the day isn’t far off when you’ll be able to use your iPhone as an Internet connection for your notebook. :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:Apple confirmed that data tethering was definitely part of iPhone 3.0, though they cautioned that actual support for that feature was largely in the hands of AT&T and the iPhone’s other worldwide wireless partners.

http://www.suntimes.com/business/1484168,ihnatko-iphone-apple-upgrade-031809.article

Back