I got an iPhone!!!!

I took the plunge, and really like mine. Edge is slow, true, but half the time I am on wifi. Besides, up here, there is Edge, and there is...Edge.

I tested a bunch of blackberry/smartphones, and the web browsing on the iPhone beats them all, in my opinion. The touchscreen qwerty took a little getting used to, but after I found a few shortcut hacks on the internet I really like it.

My only complaint so far is that the interfaces could be more user "customizable" but this is SOP for Apple :( I would like the ability to customize the start screen icons for example.

I don't need/want push email so I don't miss that. But it has a IMAP application that will auto check your email up to every 15 minutes, so for someone who is less than a hardcore power user it amounts to the same thing. Unlimited data plan so it can check away as far as I am concerned.

So in short, while it won't create world peace or stop global warming, it is a great little phone/browser/email/iPod. Glad I bought it.

I love my iPhone! My son bought it for me a few months ago. It has been incredibly useful, especially during and after our ice storm. It has helped to keep me connected to the world since we lost our power 5 days ago.

I forgot to mention, about half of my posts since i got the iphone, including this one, have been from the iPhone! PoA in my pocket! :D

I forgot to mention, about half of my posts since i got the iphone, including this one, have been from the iPhone! PoA in my pocket! :D
No iPhone for me but I do have the iTouch and I love it. I just wish it had more than 16gig of memory. But the WiFi is very nice and I have been using the device a lot.

For a smartphone though I am not sure I would want the iPhone, but then I have not wanted any smartphone to date. I just do not like the idea of an all in one device. There are times I just want a nice little phone and nothing else.

I love the iPhone, BUT

I bought it specifically to hack it. I have customized just about everything, and have written several applications for it (my only complaint, the "user supported" API is really weak).

It would kill me if I couldn't change stuff. I generally hate macs, but the iPhone is pretty great.

~ Christopher

I'm working on an iPhone friendly Weight & Balance calc. There are plenty online that are nice and useable (the javascript support is great for stuff like this) but I'd like one that doesn't need any zooming and looks like an iPhone app.

No iPhone for me but I do have the iTouch and I love it. I just wish it had more than 16gig of memory. But the WiFi is very nice and I have been using the device a lot.

For a smartphone though I am not sure I would want the iPhone, but then I have not wanted any smartphone to date. I just do not like the idea of an all in one device. There are times I just want a nice little phone and nothing else.

what does iTouch do again?

Are you kidding? Compared to them we are in the middle ages...

I know that. But I also know that many US phones you buy don't work over there due to the network incompatibility - I wasn't sure how this accessed the internet.

Even 7 years ago visiting friends over in London I was amazed at what their phones could do - when ours weren't even texting yet.

ooooooh. so instead of getting a blackberry I could get one of these.
Well, not really. The iTouch only sends/receives data when it is within WiFi distance, there is no cellular data connectivity.

If you want to replace your Blackberry with an iSomething, it would probably need to be the iPhone, and the two really aren't comparable - each does some things much better than the other.

Well, not really. The iTouch only sends/receives data when it is within WiFi distance, there is no cellular data connectivity.

If you want to replace your Blackberry with an iSomething, it would probably need to be the iPhone, and the two really aren't comparable - each does some things much better than the other.

When I'm overseas (i.e. vacationing) the only email I would want to access is my yahoo email - personal email. and even that not very often. When I took my Mom to Italy in May I took no watch, no cell phone, and avoided the internet - it was BLISS.

When I'm overseas (i.e. vacationing) the only email I would want to access is my yahoo email - personal email. and even that not very often. When I took my Mom to Italy in May I took no watch, no cell phone, and avoided the internet - it was BLISS.
I see the iPod Touch as a mobile media device (music and video iPod) which can also function as a laptop replacement device for users who only want to check email, do some light blogging and surfing etc. Sounds like it would be perfect for you, if you don't mind going to the local coffee shop to access your internet and don't want/need to lug your laptop around. The new ones being sold today have many of the applications that are available on the iPhone.

http://www.apple.com/ipodtouch/

I know that. But I also know that many US phones you buy don't work over there due to the network incompatibility - I wasn't sure how this accessed the internet.

Even 7 years ago visiting friends over in London I was amazed at what their phones could do - when ours weren't even texting yet.

What sadder than that - the UK-, they have more capability on mobile phones in INDIA. They have effectively live TV and radio on the mobile phones and needless to say the average user in India is not quite as affluent as we are. What they don't have is a wired telephone infrastructure, which is why they have such a good wireless one. Scooooot???

They also have much more wireless internet bandwidth across the ponds, although mostly in Europe and Japan where they have higher population densities to make it easier to pull off.

I see the iPod Touch as a mobile media device (music and video iPod) which can also function as a laptop replacement device for users who only want to check email, do some light blogging and surfing etc. Sounds like it would be perfect for you, if you don't mind going to the local coffee shop to access your internet and don't want/need to lug your laptop around. The new ones being sold today have many of the applications that are available on the iPhone.

http://www.apple.com/ipodtouch/

Roger that. I did take the laptop this last time, but only used it for photos. and clearly I wouldn't lug that while out walking around. I was also surprised at the number of hotels in Italy that didn't have wifi in the rooms yet. Actually, strike that - Italy - not surprised. My layover in Germany though - wifi everywhere.

I also have the iPod Touch and I LOVE IT!!! I can connect to the internet anywhere I can jump on a wifi signal, and I have mine hacked so I have a couple dozen games and applications. I frequently use it for email and for checking/posting on my various forums. I also subscribe to many audio and video podcasts, so it's great for that too! ForeFlight is a MUST if you have either the iPhone or iPod Touch.

ok, thanks. I wonder if its internet works in Europe...

Yup. It's WiFi, which *is* a global standard. You just have be in range of a public WiFi hotspot or a private access point.

ooooooh. so instead of getting a blackberry I could get one of these.
I have used my iTouch in Europe and Asia. No problem with their WiFi at all. There are some WiFi channels that are not used in some countries but the iTouch can select from all the available channels. I have an iTouch 16g and really want to go get a 32g one. But I just had ot buy a new computer and that ate up my extra play money for toys for a month or so.

Technical Support Question:

How do you enable/create a multi tier file structure for photos on the iPhone? I haven't been able to find a solution for this.

Thanks in advance

Technical Support Question:

How do you enable/create a multi tier file structure for photos on the iPhone? I haven't been able to find a solution for this.

I think you have to do that on your computer (photo albums). However, unless you're on a Mac I have no idea what the iPhone actually syncs with for photos on the PC side. :dunno:

I think you have to do that on your computer (photo albums). However, unless you're on a Mac I have no idea what the iPhone actually syncs with for photos on the PC side. :dunno:

I have photos organized on my PC however the iTunes sync only takes the first folder and then groups all sub folders together :dunno:

I have photos organized on my PC however the iTunes sync only takes the first folder and then groups all sub folders together :dunno:

Weird.

I don't think the phone itself will go more than one level deep. As in, it'll show "photo album" with all of them, and then the first level of subfolders will show as the rest of the albums. I don't think you can do albums within albums. :dunno:

So, I got a chance to really deeply play with the iPhone, and I have some new impressions, not all negative, believe it or not:
  • Holy cow, its fast. The navigation is smooth, and very intuitive. Not like a mac at all!
  • The lack of MMS is just retarded. What the hell was Apple thinking? Sure you can email, but no MMS???
  • Not a single mistap, once. I'm used to touch screens reading my fat fingers incorrectly. The iPhone did not misunderstand my intentions, ever.
  • No direct access to the file system. Sigh, why must Apple insist that their users are idiots?
  • No removeable media card slot. Sure, 8 gigabytes is a large storage space, but should something go wrong with the phone, and iTunes can't get access....you're hosed. There's a reason phone manufacturers started putting them on phones...

Overall, though, I can see why it was liked so much (although still falling way short of goals, and even announced sales numbers), the interface is amazing. If Apple pulls their heads out of their ass and fixes the simple stuff, this phone might be worth owning some day....

BTW - Apple would have been smart to use a SIM Subsidy Lock code like every other manufacturer, rather than trying to physically lock the phone down. They had to know it would get cracked....at least with a SIM Subsidy Lock code they could control who can and cannot access it.

Holy cow, its fast. The navigation is smooth, and very intuitive. Not like a mac at all!
I have a feeling you haven't played with a decent modern Intel Mac..

I've been looking at the Crackberry for when my phone upgrade time comes. Is it easy to use the internet and all?

Yep, but it has the same internet limitations as most handhelds, but I haven't really explored into that much yet. This is really the only aspect of the iPhone that really stands out. OTOH, Yahoo GO! keeps me up on my email and Yahoo messenger (as well as all the other messengers) works great as does SMS, MMS, and Crackberry PIN messenging between crackheads. I really liked my Pocket PC Phone Editions with Excel and Word and all, and a much larger screen, but the thing that was always f-d with them was that they would never ring loud enough. I work in some noisy environments, and I'd miss calls all the time because of this. The other thing was when I'd talk on and be sweating, the touch screen would get damp, and I had to figure the offset to tap at because it would be unaligned until competely dry again (couldn't just wipe dry). I've still got to load the software on my computer and synch it up and see what all I can do with the thing. So far though, I'm happy with it.

I've been looking at the Crackberry for when my phone upgrade time comes. Is it easy to use the internet and all?

Its easy, but its no Windows Mobile. The Blackberry 83xx and 88xx series are, IMHO, the best of the Blackberry series for internet usage.

I have a feeling you haven't played with a decent modern Intel Mac..

No, I have. Quick, pretty, but still organized in dumb ways like extensions (they may have changed the name to something else, but its still the same damn thing), the inability to run multiple instances of the same program without 3rd party software, oh...and finder....

Different strokes for different folks. I could (and did, for many years as a support rep) take a person who has not touched a computer and teach him how to send an email starting on the desktop. On a mac? Unless they're 8, its not intuitive.

And I'm half joking, but seriously, macs are not the beacon of user friendliness, they are the god of "Can't screw up because we don't trust you to have access to screw it up."

No, I have. Quick, pretty, but still organized in dumb ways like extensions (they may have changed the name to something else, but its still the same damn thing), the inability to run multiple instances of the same program without 3rd party software, oh...and finder....

Different strokes for different folks. I could (and did, for many years as a support rep) take a person who has not touched a computer and teach him how to send an email starting on the desktop. On a mac? Unless they're 8, its not intuitive.

And I'm half joking, but seriously, macs are not the beacon of user friendliness, they are the god of "Can't screw up because we don't trust you to have access to screw it up."

Hmm...What do you mean by extensions? And multiple instances of the same program? That is up to the programmer that wrote it and that problem exists the same on Windows and also requires 3rd party software to bypass.

As far as ease of sending an e-mail? That depends on the mail client not the operating system itself.

Hmm...What do you mean by extensions? And multiple instances of the same program? That is up to the programmer that wrote it and that problem exists the same on Windows and also requires 3rd party software to bypass.

I think they're called "add-ons" now, or something. I dunno, whatever they're called, they're not as effective as ActiveX or .dlls are.

As far as ease of sending an e-mail? That depends on the mail client not the operating system itself.

My point wasn't email, it was launching a program....

Windows:
"Click Start, click programs, click the program."

Mac:
"Start the launcher....what is the launcher? Its the thing that starts programs. Well, yeah, I guess the OS could do it, but it doesn't...."

Mac:
"Start the launcher....what is the launcher? Its the thing that starts programs. Well, yeah, I guess the OS could do it, but it doesn't...."
Yes there really isn't a start menu. I had to actually think about that some--because I don't miss the start menu and haven't even realized there isn't one. You can launch the application in finder (which is actually damn nice on Leopard with a powerful system) or out of your dock. Mostly though--Once you get used to the concept of Spotlight you'll launch all your applications out of that. I use spotlight for everything from opening programs to looking for an e-mail even if I know the e-mail is in my Inbox. It is *fast*.

Mac OS X is different. It's not Windows and you have to get used to that. Once you get used to it not being Windows you start to like some of it--and eventually you wouldn't want to go back. It took me about a week to adjust to the point to where I didn't want to switch back to Windows.

Last edited:
Back