I declared an emergency today

James_Dean

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Eggman
Nerves still settling down.........

I was on a flight today from Gary, IN to Columbus, OH. I was level at 9,000 and about 80 miles out and was briefing the approach. Time to get set up. Tried to switch the left engine from aux tank back to the mains and couldn't get the fuel selector to move. Had two gallons remaining in that aux tank and without a way to move the fuel selector I was going to be down an engine.

Take a deep breath. Weather at destination was 7 miles 600 scattered and 1500 overcast. Airport right in front of me is 2200 ovc. That seemed like a much better choice. 20 miles ahead and a bunch of altitude to lose

Down to one gallon. F.

Pulled power way back and leaned out the left(soon to be done)to extend the useful time. I declared an emergency with center and told them my intentions.

Pushed her over hard as I wanted to be under the deck when she quit. I knew I was going to be surplus energy due to the fact that I was close to the field. Took 20 seconds to rip the plastic cover off the fuel selector to see if it was somehow mechanically jammed. No joy. Tried to twist the thing with all my might no joy.

Center asked for souls aboard and fuel remaining(I do remember laughing out loud at that). Told me the weather and that the runway was ice covered and breaking action was poor. Oh good.

Broke out at 2000 feet and immediately after the left engine quit. It was at this point that I swear Ted DuPuis was sitting right next to me. I actually think I heard his voice. Calm. Deep breath. Power up on the good, get it feathered, blue line.

We're climbing!! Where is the field at? The g500 certainly helped and I was lined up but I was hot. Landing assured? Yep. Get the drag out. Three green. Still hot. I touched down long and had to stand on the breaks. I thought we were going off end, but we stopped with 1000 feet to spare. Ruined a tire, but myself and my pax and the plane will fly again.

Called Fss to cancel and fill them in that I was ok.

The controllers were great. The training worked. Very happy to have had the second engine along for the ride. Glad to have had great mentor pilots.

I've already replayed it 57 times in my head on how I could've done better/different, but it all happened so fast. Now to find out what failed in the fuel selector. Grr.

Oh, waitress? Martini please.

Wow. Sounds like quite an experience. Thanks for sharing. What were you flying?

The fuel selector lever in the 310 moves a push/pull cable to the valve which is located in the wing. One WAG is the cable may have bound up.

Congratulations on doing what needed to be done to achieve a successful outcome!

I think you did a fantastic job and a heck of an action plan that made sense...training and frequency of your flying set you up for success. Pat yourself on the back!

As I told you on the phone, great job! :yes:

Glad that I was still there telling you what to do. :)

Congrats on making a successful landing. I hope if I am ever in that situation that I can remain calm and fall back on my training. I love reading about pilots faced with a tough situation and remaining calm and handling it.

Glad you're still with us!

On a 310, is the cross-feed bound up in the same control? No way to have fed it from the other side?

Glad to read you and your pax are safe. Great that your training kept you calm and focused, and allowed you to land with minimal damage (tire) to the aircraft. Sounds like you deserve some Johnny Walker Blue label!

So would that be a dual cable with a pulley? I'm trying to understand.:dunno:

Similar to this. Cable slides inside the sheath.
Best example I could find.

iu

Glad you're still with us!

On a 310, is the cross-feed bound up in the same control? No way to have fed it from the other side?

Each engine has its own selector that is either main, aux, crossfeed from opposite main, or off. I had used the valve successfully on the first flight of the day and it moved freely.

Each engine has its own selector that is either main, aux, crossfeed from opposite main, or off. I had used the valve successfully on the first flight of the day and it moved freely.

Gotcha. Be interesting to see what they find went wrong.

Yikes.

Well, you're here to tell us about it, with only a tire damaged. It could have been a LOT worse.

Perhaps ice in the cable sheath?

Damn. Great work. It is really icy in most of Ohio today. That could have gone much worse.

Glad to hear it went well! I've had one seriously bad emergency in my flying career and in the short time after that I replayed it a million ways in my head and couldn't figure out what I would have done differently , one day I was like you know what, it was a dynamic situation, we handled it as it occurred on that particular day and the plane and everyone walked away safe! Whatever you did, that allows you to be here and post your story, clearly was the right choice!

wait, can I call boolsheet? no one can survive this without a chute.

Damn. Great work. It is really icy in most of Ohio today. That could have gone much worse.

Ya the weather here is crap and getting worse tonight.
Glad all turned out OK.

Would it operate after you landed?

Great job James......:thumbsup::thumbsup:..

You do realize your 310 read on POA that it was for sale and decided to yank your chain...;);):D

Nice job. And I know what you mean about hearing someone's voice in your head as you work through something. Obviously you did well, you're here to post about it. :yes:

Nice job. Years ago I followed a Twin Cessna down the ILS. His engine quit because he forgot to switch from the aux to the mains. It didn't end well.

Nice work. People all intact. The machine is a bonus. Way to keep your head and great job making the right decision quickly while under pressure.

glad to hear everything went well. Ice on the runway would have added a little more sphincter action for me. Glad the only skin you lost was on your tires!

Back