I declared an emergency today

are you teasing? it sounds like he handled it perfectly and deserves his ME rating.

Buddy of mine had an engine failure in his Baron. Landed successfully with no issues whatsoever, when it was over he had to take a 709 ride. Most ridiculous thing I ever heard.

Well done!

I've been in a number of "difficult" situations in my life. It is human nature to replay the situation a million times and play the what could I have done better game.

To some extent that is healthy, but don't obsess about it. Everyone is safe, and the play had almost no damage, that is a huge win by any standard.

-Dan

Congrats! Sounds like you handled it like a champ.

Just thinking out-loud and throwing this out, as it was the first thing to pop in my head, and see what you multi-engine experts think of it: Do y'll think it would have also been beneficial to shut off that engine to save the gas and get established on an approach and/or near a visual airport when you still have some altitude to play with? Then, turn it back on when on final to help stabilize a normal approach and have some help should a missed be needed?

Again, I'm not faulting what you did, just looking at it from another angle.

Just thinking out-loud and throwing this out, as it was the first thing to pop in my head, and see what you multi-engine experts think of it: Do y'll think it would have also been beneficial to shut off that engine to save the gas and get established on an approach and/or near a visual airport when you still have some altitude to play with? Then, turn it back on when on final to help stabilize a normal approach and have some help should a missed be needed?

Most Cessna 310's didn't come with prop accumulators, so doing an airstart after shut down is tedious and only complicates the situation.

Most Cessna 310's didn't come with prop accumulators, so doing an airstart after shut down is tedious and only complicates the situation.
Ah, makes sense, thanks. I've only flown a Duchess (to the point of being familiar with that stuff) that has unflattering accumulators and air starts were always a breeze.

Aside from that, any comments on my logic? I figure if I'm gonna have one engine fail, I'd rather control when and have lots of altitude.

I think he handled it well. Deciding to divert to the closer airport was a wise decision IMO. As far as the stuck valve selector, I would advise you to keep the write-up and corrective action taken by the mechanic, invoices, etc if the FAA comes calling. Good job!

Now, are you discounting the 310 now? :D

It was cold and I was 700ish under gross and I was confident that it would be fine on one. My thought was to keep things as simple as possible. More complexity = more risk. Also the lack of accumulators wouldve added to workload.

I think he handled it well. Deciding to divert to the closer airport was a wise decision IMO. As far as the stuck valve selector, I would advise you to keep the write-up and corrective action taken by the mechanic, invoices, etc if the FAA comes calling. Good job!

Well ,, seeing how it is stuck at a strange airport and UNAIRWORTHY....

I will offer 5 grand.... CASH...:rolleyes:.......:D

709 Ride.

If I can't handle that I shouldn't have been flying a complex twin. **** happens and I'm here to tell the tale with nothing to hide.

Perhaps ice in the cable sheath?

Yep, it was 7° this morning in Mansfield. Had to deice a friends car because all doors and the hatch were frozen shut. Put it in a warm hangar overnight and I bet it works fine tomorrow. Makes you lake-crossing guys give pause don't it?

dtuuri

Hell no! She brought me home safely hundreds of times. She's a lady and shall be treated with respect. This is exactly why I wanted a twin.

Well done, when my engine quit last month, I too had to dump allot of energy toc make the runway in front of me. Good training pays off and I kept telling myslf to fly the plane. Souns like you did too.

Hell no! She brought me home safely hundreds of times. She's a lady and shall be treated with respect. This is exactly why I wanted a twin.

But but you're getting that Conquest.....:eek:

Yep, it was 7° this morning in Mansfield. Had to deice a friends car because all doors and the hatch were frozen shut. Put it in a warm hangar overnight and I bet it works fine tomorrow. Makes you lake-crossing guys give pause don't it?

dtuuri

This was the second flight of the day. First flight was 2 hours at altitude and I did the same tank switch procedure. I was on the ground for 45 minutes and then back up to the same altitude as the first flight. Picked up light icing on both climb outs, but was in it a bit longer on the second flight.

I'm lost on what caused this.

Respect...:dunno::dunno::dunno:...

On POA ..:confused:...

Eggman, you might be three yolks shy of a full omelette..:rofl::rofl::lol::lol:...

Jus tryin to cheer you up James.......

Go with it buddy...:D

Respect...:dunno::dunno::dunno:...

On POA ..:confused:...

Eggman, you might be three yolks shy of a full omelette..:rofl::rofl::lol::lol:...

Jus tryin to cheer you up James.......

Go with it buddy...:D

Oh, I'm smiling with you. :) :) :)

Congratulations!! That sounds like quite an experience and quite a quick response time to your options available to you. Glad you are able to share this with us.

Well done sir!! and bonus points for keeping the plane reusable.

REAL pilots DON'T wear chutes....:nono::nono::nono::nono::nono:

Tell that to these guys. ;)

GTY_blue_angels_02_jef_140314_16x9_992.jpg

1256253121031860838.jpg

Man it's a good thing you heard Ted's voice in your head and not mine.
I know I am going to be faced with an issue one day and be hoping to hear the Wisdom of a Ted and I am going to get Florida Cracker or Pete Flemming.

For real though, That sounds heart pounding.
Good on you for keeping your wits and having a success story to share.

Give yourself a pat on the back.
Take care

Where's that slow clap animated gif when you need it. :)

I know I am going to be faced with an issue one day and be hoping to hear the Wisdom of a Ted and I am going to get Florida Cracker or Pete Flemming.

For real though, That sounds heart pounding.
Good on you for keeping your wits and having a success story to share.

Give yourself a pat on the back.
Take care

My primary CFI was from WV. Wonder what I'll hear? :confused:

Congrats on a successful outcome. Here's hoping the bill isn't too bad.

310, bird flu, conquest, emergency...is your show streaming on netflix yet? :)

:rofl:

6PC: "What do I do... what do I do... do I pull the chute? I have no instruments and my engine quit."
FC: "IT'S ALL ****ING OBAMA'S FAULT!!!"
6PC: "What? FC go away I'm busy"
FC: "No, seriously. If Obamacare hadn't been passed, you would be able to afford a turbine with your extra tax dollars and then you wouldn't have this issue. It's really quite logical."
6PC: "THIS ISN'T HELPING ME!"
FC: "Neither did Obama..."
6PC: "I'd vote for Trump right now if it saved my ass!"
FC: "VOTE TRUMP!"
6PC: "What? No!"
Ted: "Fly the ****ing plane"
6PC: "Oh good, there you are. Now what do I do?"
Ted: "I already told you."
6PC: "Oh, right pull the chute."
Ted: "No, FLY THE PLANE"
6PC: "Pull the chute!"
Ted: "Repeat after me. Fly..."
6PC: "Pull..."
Ted: "The..."
6PC: "The..."
Ted: "Plane..."
6PC: "Chute!"
Ted: ":mad2:"

:rofl:

6PC: "What do I do... what do I do... do I pull the chute? I have no instruments and my engine quit."
FC: "IT'S ALL ****ING OBAMA'S FAULT!!!"
6PC: "What? FC go away I'm busy"
FC: "No, seriously. If Obamacare hadn't been passed, you would be able to afford a turbine with your extra tax dollars and then you wouldn't have this issue. It's really quite logical."
6PC: "THIS ISN'T HELPING ME!"
FC: "Neither did Obama..."
6PC: "I'd vote for Trump right now if it saved my ass!"
FC: "VOTE TRUMP!"
6PC: "What? No!"
Ted: "Fly the ****ing plane"
6PC: "Oh good, there you are. Now what do I do?"
Ted: "I already told you."
6PC: "Oh, right pull the chute."
Ted: "No, FLY THE PLANE"
6PC: "Pull the chute!"
Ted: "Repeat after me. Fly..."
6PC: "Pull..."
Ted: "The..."
6PC: "The..."
Ted: "Plane..."
6PC: "Chute!"
Ted: ":mad2:"

You win the internet!
:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

In a 310 this wouldn't work in his situation. The non-turbo 310s had the boost pumps in the tip tanks, so you would be unable to prime (and thus most likely unable to start) the engine with it on the aux tank.

In general, I wouldn't do this anyway. You have no way of knowing when the engine would quit. So then you're setting yourself up for being on short final with an engine then failing on you, which is a recipe for a crash.

Several years ago I was faced with a similar decision in a 1950-something (first year) tuna tank 310 when it started running low on oil and oil pressure dropped below the green (~20 psi in cruise). I could leave it running and hope it didn't seize, shut it down and land on one, or shut it down and try to restart in hopes of landing on both. I chose to shut it down and land on one. This set me up for a predictable landing that was no issue. Landing it, identified the problem, fixed it, took back off and kept going.

This was the second flight of the day. First flight was 2 hours at altitude and I did the same tank switch procedure. I was on the ground for 45 minutes and then back up to the same altitude as the first flight. Picked up light icing on both climb outs, but was in it a bit longer on the second flight.

I'm lost on what caused this.

Congratulations on a superbly executed emergency landing!

No idea if any of the following is applicable to the 310, or any other airplane.

My Aztec also has cable operated fuel selector valves (fuel selectors are between the front seats, with a cable to the valves which are in each wing near the main gear well). Difficult to imagine how a completely enclosed system could freeze (condensation conditions from warm hangar to cold air at altitude?), but...

...a short time ago I was speaking with a much older, experienced pilot who had a lot of time in Aztecs in the Arctic. He told me the push-pull cable for the fuel switching valves in the Aztec can freeze at altitude in the right circumstances.

He went on to tell me that Aztec pilots in the Arctic developed the habit of starting flights from the fuel tanks that were selected when the lever put the cable in compression (he couldn't remember if that was the inboard or outboard tanks, but I am going to have good look during upcoming annual, so I know). He said this was because if the system froze more force could be applied, and a better chance to move the valve with the cable in tension. :dunno:

Last edited:
Back