I declared an emergency today

Some people just think that everybody is out to get them. They're not always wrong, but that's usually because they already goofed pretty hard and can't take accept responsibility. Busting airspace and then declaring to CYA will likely result in a ride if you caused trouble. An engine failure? What the hell good would a 709 ride do? The pilot didn't do anything wrong, so there's no proficiency to verify! In a successful OEI event like this, the pilot clearly did everything correctly.

Armchair quarterbacking can be fun, too, though ;)

Any time you use the declared emergency to ATC you going to get a call from your friendly FAA type who is going to help you. Since the FAA is their to help and they the FAA inspectors have nothing better to do, 709 ride.

Totally false and misleading. 41 years flying GA, Part 135, instructing, corporate, and 24 years at a large regional. Many instances in all these various segments of aviation I've declared emergencies and have never had a 709 ride, or a line check from my airline training department.

Martini? I'll take a bottle of vodka. Make it two.

Good job! Happy and smiling about your outcome. Subscribing to see why the selector froze.

I've declared twice that I can think of right now, neither of them ever resulted in hearing a word from the Fsdo, and I have a Fsdo based at my airport.

One was related to a partial power situation because of a failed throttle in a single. Would have been a lot less dramatic with two engines.

Wow! Very nicely done James. Very nice! Thanks Ted for helping him! :)

2 engine outs, 1 partial power, 1 alternator failure in IMC, 1 vacuum failure. 0 calls from FSDO.

1 flat tire while taxiing to runway....call from FSDO, had to provide full written description of incident and the resolution.

2 engine outs, 1 partial power, 1 alternator failure in IMC, 1 vacuum failure. 0 calls from FSDO.

1 flat tire while taxiing to runway....call from FSDO, had to provide full written description of incident and the resolution.

AFAIK, a flat tire is not an "incident" unless followed by substantial damage or injuries. At best the flat tire would be an "occurrence". So that's definitely surprising and out of character for them.

AFAIK, a flat tire is not an "incident" unless followed by substantial damage or injuries. At best the flat tire would be an "occurrence". So that's definitely surprising and out of character for them.

A tire is a wear item anyways and blown tires even have their own procedures... not a big deal. But like you said, any collateral damage might be.

Any time you use the declared emergency to ATC you going to get a call from your friendly FAA type who is going to help you. Since the FAA is their to help and they the FAA inspectors have nothing better to do, 709 ride.

Many emergencies have been declared to ATC without calls from friendly FAA types.

Yes you are. While others have contributed to the conversation, you only are interested in stirring the pot. :rolleyes2:

What, their is no room for a different view point. To say as long as you do the right thing, their will never be any bad things happen to you. Their are plenty of stories of people trying to do what they thought was right only to be helped by their local FSDO up the creek without a paddle. My intent was not to discourage anyone from declaring a emergency only to point out their may be ramifications for it.

Last edited:
What, their is no room for a different view point. To say as long as you do the right thing, their will never be any bad things happen to you. Their are plenty of stories of people trying to do what they thought was right only to be helped by their local FISDO up the creek without a paddle. My intent was not to discourage anyone from declaring a emergency only to point out their may be ramifications for it.

There's a difference between talking about a few incidents and asserting that the same will happen to anyone who declares. You're smart enough to see the difference between the two, right?

MANY have already said it but I will jump on the bandwagon:
Great job on handling the emergency. Like you said, your training kicked in.

I only had a minor emergency in my short flying time and my non-pilot passenger said afterwards that I sounded very calm and collected and that panic didn't even cross his mind since I was composed. Lesson learned: remain calm and your passengers won't be a problem.

Again, glad to have you down here among us in one piece. And the airplane too.

Things go south I'll happily declare. If the FAA wants to make a deal of let 'em. Beats dying.

Again, huge congrats to our ootid OP for a relatively non-eventful landing. May I do as well when my time comes. I probably won't since I have but one of those things.

FWIW, the only time I remember squawking 7700 the Orlando FSDO was on the phone for me before I had the door open upon landing. So.... it happens.

dtuuri

Yep...there's a reason us pain in the a$$ CFI's keep pulling emergency procedures on our students!

Well done, Eggman!!! And kudos to Ted for the good training!

Mike does a great job on flight reviews too ...:yes:

Just got to this thread. Nice job egg. Damn. That's a bad day at the office that came out about as good as it could have.

Things go south I'll happily declare. If the FAA wants to make a deal of let 'em. Beats dying.

Again, huge congrats to our ootid OP for a relatively non-eventful landing. May I do as well when my time comes. I probably won't since I have but one of those things.

Skin, ticket, tin, right?

You may think it's funny to be amusing yourself by trolling in this way, but it's no longer amusing when you frighten people into not declaring because they fear the FAA.

You may think it's funny to be amusing yourself by trolling in this way, but it's no longer amusing when you frighten people into not declaring because they fear the FAA.

The smart money knows its just a guy on the internet...

I used the term 'incident' generically, sorry about that. There was no damage or injuries. However, I had crossed the hold short line. Ops needed to be called to tow the airplane back to FBO with a dolly, and I was blocking the full length entry to the runway, resulting in a Falcon being given an intersection departure (he declined and asked for full length using taxi back on the runway).

It's unclear if any arrivals were delayed (I didn't see anyone land as we headed back to the FBO) but my guess is something got the FSDO's attention. They were perfectly friendly, btw, they just wanted to ensure the matter was resolved and wanted detailed information on how it all went down. He specifically told me there would be no additional followup after receiving my report.

The smart money knows its just a guy on the internet...

Yes, but people come here for reliable info. We should do our best to give it to them, and get rid of the trolls.

I had an emergency situation. I used my authority to declare the emergency to get all the help I could from ATC. They understood and contributed to a successful outcome. Stuff happens and the plane and I will both fly again very soon. If the FAA want to spend their resources to talk to me then so be it.

I would really hate to see another pilot read some comments here and not get help when they need it because they are afraid of the FAA.

This, IMHO, worrying about dealing with the FAA afterward is not too bright and just might get you killed.

Great job.

I used the term 'incident' generically, sorry about that. There was no damage or injuries. However, I had crossed the hold short line. Ops needed to be called to tow the airplane back to FBO with a dolly, and I was blocking the full length entry to the runway, resulting in a Falcon being given an intersection departure (he declined and asked for full length using taxi back on the runway).

It's unclear if any arrivals were delayed (I didn't see anyone land as we headed back to the FBO) but my guess is something got the FSDO's attention. They were perfectly friendly, btw, they just wanted to ensure the matter was resolved and wanted detailed information on how it all went down. He specifically told me there would be no additional followup after receiving my report.

Cool! Thanks for the info.
And nice to see the Feds on the ball. Sounds like they did exactly what we taxpayers/pilots would expect them to.

As others have said I haven't heard from the FAA or anything for any of my emergencies. 3 in part 91 flying, 2 alternator failures, one in IMC, a gear issue, and one in part 121 - a stabilizer trim runaway on departure, not once have I had to speak to the FAA regarding any of them. I do know people that have been contacted by the FAA for their emergencies but it was nothing more than to just gather some details on what happened, no in person meetings or action whatsoever. At the end of the day if you declare an emergency and you can back up what you did I think you are good to go!

It may not happen frequently but as I mentioned earlier my friend, had an engine failure last year in his Baron over Long Island NY. He landed successfully without any issues. It resulted in a 709 ride and an airplane inspection.

After sitting in the warm hangar overnight the fuel selector moved freely.

We had a similar thing happen to a throttle cable once.

I once had a carb heat cable seize up. Turns out the inner sheath had deteriorated and caused the cable to bind up inside. Found it on the run-up.

Tends to make me think cable as well since you said that it wouldn't budge at all. Normally if the cable was working, I'd expect you to feel some play.

Henning had a 709 ride after gearing up his 310 and said it wasn't that big a deal. I think he said that on this very site. I wouldn't let a thing like that keep me from doing what I could to ensure the safety of myself and my pax.

Henning had a 709 ride after gearing up his 310 and said it wasn't that big a deal. I think he said that on this very site. I wouldn't let a thing like that keep me from doing what I could to ensure the safety of myself and my pax.

Henning "forgot" to put the gear down and crashed his plane. That sort of thing you expect a 709 ride.

Back