I declared an emergency today

Henning had a 709 ride after gearing up his 310 and said it wasn't that big a deal. I think he said that on this very site. I wouldn't let a thing like that keep me from doing what I could to ensure the safety of myself and my pax.

There's a difference here. The OP had a situation (fuel related), declared, got priority handling and landed non eventful.

After sitting in the warm hangar overnight the fuel selector moved freely.

James, what is your A&P going to do to make sure that doesn't happen again? Replace, and lube the cable, and housing? I have to admit, I had sweaty palms reading your story. Again, nice job.

(BTW, the eggs I have been buying from my farmer are a nice shade of light green now. :wink2:)

Is there some way moisture got into this area, which then froze? This is what happened with our throttle cable.

James, what is your A&P going to do to make sure that doesn't happen again? Replace, and lube the cable, and housing? I have to admit, I had sweaty palms reading your story. Again, nice job.

(BTW, the eggs I have been buying from my farmer are a nice shade of light green now. :wink2:)

A vast majority of control cables in GA aircraft go years without maintenance. The internal lubrication not only lubricates but also displaces moisture.

Something to think about.

Henning "forgot" to put the gear down and crashed his plane. That sort of thing you expect a 709 ride.

Of course. My point was that he got it and didn't think it was a deal. Another fellow is claiming you might get a 709 ride if you declare an emergency. I was just saying that a (former) participant here went on one and thought little of it.

It's been a while since I flew N317U and I don't recall freedom of movement in the fuel selectors. I know in the 310 I fly, all control cables operate freely. I do keep tabs on freedom of movement and have the cables lubricated if I notice anything. I had a prop cable break on the Aztec once which was a real pain.

Of course. My point was that he got it and didn't think it was a deal. Another fellow is claiming you might get a 709 ride if you declare an emergency. I was just saying that a (former) participant here went on one and thought little of it.

Of course the "former participant" used it as a badge of courage and constantly gloated "it wasn't a big deal".

Having to declare an emergency in the case of the OP will not result in a 44709, period.

After sitting in the warm hangar overnight the fuel selector moved freely.

Two causes I can think of for moisture getting in the cable are the outer sheath has deteriorated or the rubber nipples on the ends are missing. A thorough inspection and possible replacement of both is in order.

James, first off stellar job and thank you for the report. We can all learn from it!

Second, Curious as to how the Pax handled the situation. I'd imagine that a panicky pax could be quite a distraction but you did not mention him or her.

Finally, I'm sure you know by now what the problem was that caused the selector switch issue, Clearly Chicken Hawk knew it was going to be sold and just needed once more to extract some AMUs from your wallet.

I suspect I could have been a bit more untimely. If this happened on a demo flight or after the new owner picked it up. ugh.

Again Great Job!:yes:

A vast majority of control cables in GA aircraft go years without maintenance. The internal lubrication not only lubricates but also displaces moisture.

Something to think about.

Yep. You just never know what will bite you in the *ss.

Well done, Eggman! Twins that lose an engine don't end up in the statistics often, singles do!

I've had partial engine failure and a door pop open in twins, both times I declared. Never heard a word from the FSDO.

Nerves still settling down.........

I was on a flight today from Gary, IN to Columbus, OH. I was level at 9,000 and about 80 miles out and was briefing the approach. Time to get set up. Tried to switch the left engine from aux tank back to the mains and couldn't get the fuel selector to move. Had two gallons remaining in that aux tank and without a way to move the fuel selector I was going to be down an engine.

Take a deep breath. Weather at destination was 7 miles 600 scattered and 1500 overcast. Airport right in front of me is 2200 ovc. That seemed like a much better choice. 20 miles ahead and a bunch of altitude to lose

Down to one gallon. F.

Pulled power way back and leaned out the left(soon to be done)to extend the useful time. I declared an emergency with center and told them my intentions.

Pushed her over hard as I wanted to be under the deck when she quit. I knew I was going to be surplus energy due to the fact that I was close to the field. Took 20 seconds to rip the plastic cover off the fuel selector to see if it was somehow mechanically jammed. No joy. Tried to twist the thing with all my might no joy.

Center asked for souls aboard and fuel remaining(I do remember laughing out loud at that). Told me the weather and that the runway was ice covered and breaking action was poor. Oh good.

Broke out at 2000 feet and immediately after the left engine quit. It was at this point that I swear Ted DuPuis was sitting right next to me. I actually think I heard his voice. Calm. Deep breath. Power up on the good, get it feathered, blue line.

We're climbing!! Where is the field at? The g500 certainly helped and I was lined up but I was hot. Landing assured? Yep. Get the drag out. Three green. Still hot. I touched down long and had to stand on the breaks. I thought we were going off end, but we stopped with 1000 feet to spare. Ruined a tire, but myself and my pax and the plane will fly again.

Called Fss to cancel and fill them in that I was ok.

The controllers were great. The training worked. Very happy to have had the second engine along for the ride. Glad to have had great mentor pilots.

I've already replayed it 57 times in my head on how I could've done better/different, but it all happened so fast. Now to find out what failed in the fuel selector. Grr.

Oh, waitress? Martini please.

On behalf of myself and every controller in this county, marvelous job. You found yourself in a bad situation and had plan b and c ready to go. You sir did a phenomenal feat of airman ship and one not likely to be forgotten in those parts. In all honesty, that's the most lethal scenario I can imagine short of structural failure. I've seen far less end in fatality and I'm in awe of your thought process and actions.

I'll happily reimburse your Martini and then some if we ever meet. There will be no paperwork for you other there than this beautiful person may have exposed a problem that would have killed the next 310 pilot. Care to share? Variety.

Back