Gaston's Fly In 2015 - October 8-11th

It looks like there was a missing element of airplanes designed to fly SLOW. We need to get me and David White back there (and find David a STOL airplane, darn it) for a short takeoff rematch.

And get Bob there to school us both on short landings. :)

I did. As you know, my policy with the 310 has been to not land on grass. Yesterday was the first time. Gaston's really is a nice grass strip. You do have to be on your game when coming in with a faster bird like a 310 or Malibu (mostly due to the terrain around the airport as well as the 3200 ft field length), but they routinely get 421s in there as well. In fact, there was a 421C that had landed there earlier in the week.

Well did Doc Bruce squeeze his Seneca in there or not?

Here goes my first post on POA, hugely peer pressured by Jesse. Thanks for all the great company, food, brooze, and the women (and men) who set and cleaned up after everyone. Let's not forget to mention Troy's deliciously smoked meats. It was wonderfully coordinated. It's good to put all the pretty faces to the names I've heard so much about. The twins were great and probably closer to my age than the majority. Bentley enjoyed his time flying and running around. Thanks for the great time! Hoping for a lengthier stay next time!

Linda

It was a pleasure getting to know you a little better during breakfast err lunch. Don't let the chronological ages fool ya, we are still mostly juveniles. ;)

It looks like there was a missing element of airplanes designed to fly SLOW. We need to get me and David White back there (and find David a STOL airplane, darn it) for a short takeoff rematch.

And get Bob there to school us both on short landings. :)

Next year I'll bring the helo. :yes:

:heli:

It was a pleasure getting to know you a little better during breakfast err lunch. Don't let the chronological ages fool ya, we are still mostly juveniles. ;)

mostly?

It was great to meet you Linda. Don't be a stranger...

Just noticed the sub-labeling on Bryan's beer:

93e722a575211c9d2b9c85006e57f59a.jpg

:rofl:

OK, looks like TapaTalk isn't reducing images when posting from my iPhone; is there a setting you know of on Tapatalk that can fix that?

Shish - I'm only 24 ...

(I did quit counting a couple of years ago ...)

Well did Doc Bruce squeeze his Seneca in there or not?

Yes, he did. The reason I didn't include it is that I assume the Seneca to be a better short field aircraft. The Aztec was much easier getting in. It also had 50 degree flaps and was draggier (as anyone who's witnessed it landing can attest). A Navajo with 40 degree flaps would also be easier.

The 310 and Malibu have higher approach speeds and less drag, which makes the approach angles a bit harder. Early 310s had 45 degree flaps, which I would love to have.

A brief moment of calm inbound to Gaston's where I was able to grab a quick clip flying in w/ Ken right seat and Tim in his RV10

Alert: Audio is probably really loud. That camera tends to make louder video than my phone.

I think I found some beer specifically for Spike.

Attachments

• Oklahoma Sucks beer.jpg
    Oklahoma Sucks beer.jpg
    104.3 KB · Views: 41
Speaking of beer, if you enjoyed any of the offerings from my red cooler, they all were obtained from the Midway Mart in Denton, TX. All of them were brewed in the Dallas, Ft. Worth area.

I'm glad you enjoyed them!!

Hey, when I was leaving sat night in the Archer, did you guys see me bunny hop that hump in the strip? Hit it at about 45 knots which popped me I the air and the stall horn starts screaming.... Tires came down and 5 knots later I was up.

Scared the hell'outa me as I was not expecting that.

Ha you want to see a bump that will tighten you up? Go search for the video of Michael Driggs in his M20C at the first gastons FLYIN 11 years ago or so.

Had a great time seeing all of you guys again! I was fortunate that I was able to come up, even for the short time.

Thanks Ed and Brian for being gracious and giving me a lift, I know y'all didn't have to do it. I owe y'all some unadulterated Mike's Hard Lemonade. :rofl: Also a thanks to Grant and his wife for letting me crash at their place. It was nice to meet you for the first time.

I'll keep y'all posted as much as I can with the airline gig. I know Spike will hunt me down if I don't! Hey the Supreme Court allows it! :yes:

OK, looks like TapaTalk isn't reducing images when posting from my iPhone; is there a setting you know of on Tapatalk that can fix that?

It doesn't and I have up caring long ago, since the main website can silly wrap the image in a percentage size based tag to fix it for all browser sizes, but doesn't. I consider it a main site code bug. If it's big enough to go off the screen, a quick click to open in in a sane viewer that auto-resizes is easy on all desktop platforms.

What about the two lodges with the central room and the four cabins off the main room?

Yeah, that's what Kelsey was talking about. "Cottages" they call them I think. It looks like their central room is the same size as the one in the River Villa but they're only one floor instead of two.

These are some great shots; thanks!
We had a great time and have realized how much we miss this. Even if I couldn't recognize Steve "Santa Claus" See! Sorry he couldn't have hung around more!

My first thought when I saw Steve was "Whoa, did Lance Fisher decide to grow his beard back?" :rofl:

Steve does do a good Santa Claus. :yes:

It doesn't and I have up caring long ago, since the main website can silly wrap the image in a percentage size based tag to fix it for all browser sizes, but doesn't. I consider it a main site code bug. If it's big enough to go off the screen, a quick click to open in in a sane viewer that auto-resizes is easy on all desktop platforms.
I have wondered about that too...

Wish I could have gone to Gastons but my counterpart had blocked out this time for vacation long ago.

I got to train our newest FO, though. Yesterday we were our company's first all-female jet crew. Watch out world! Women drivers. :D

Ha you want to see a bump that will tighten you up? Go search for the video of Michael Driggs in his M20C at the first gastons FLYIN 11 years ago or so.

Adam, Do you know who took that video of Michael taking off in his Mooney?

We got home yesterday after fueling at HRO. Total flight time 2:50, with some sightseeing in our area checking out corn mazes. (Maize mazes?) Washed the bugs off the plane - Should have done some of that while we were still in AR, those little suckers stick hard after they dry out!

I managed to listen to most of the Packer game on the ADF, though I had to listen to the Rams broadcasts instead of the Packers ones until the fourth quarter!

brian];1911214 said:
Shish - I'm only 24 ...

(I did quit counting a couple of years ago ...)

I'm still counting, but I'm only 29.

(In hexadecimal, of course.)

Adam, Do you know who took that video of Michael taking off in his Mooney?

It was you, Bob! You had it on VHS, last report... if you can find the tape, and can send it to me, I can convert it to a digital format and put it on YouTube for us to see.

See the 3rd instance of "Driggs" on this page:

http://www.pilotsofamerica.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-4962.html

thanks for the great pic of my plane, 6PC. Hoping you'll let me use that elsewhere?

So one of my favorite quotes / moments at Gastons.

I am in the backseat of some pilot's Comanche. We will call him Ted.
He/she had just picked up Ken and I from BPK

En route we are gaining speed. Faster and faster. As we get to the Runway I hear:

"Ted, are you aware that there shhhhh-static-shhhh-click-pop-shhhh-static on the runway?"

Ted: "I can't hear you"

I all I am thinking is, "This is the one time its going to be giraffes"

Whatever it was, Ted must have seen it because he went around.

PS Javier, if you are following this - tell Hillary she has an amazing singing voice (she revealed that she is an opera major and has some of her work posted on YT)

Any Viking videos? I did two go-rounds; one for birds on the runway and another when Jimmie and I went imc.

Any Viking videos? I did two go-rounds; one for birds on the runway and another when Jimmie and I went imc.

I have one but you appeared to be about 100-200 feet up.
I will post it when I get back home.

Home last last evening, had gone to Diana and Tom's farm for the midday. Remember, Diana Richards is the founding "mom" for this fly in.

Landing at dusk with 2.0 on the tach, with the bad tasting flashlight in the mouth. It appears I blew a transistor in the dimmer.....

Home last last evening, had gone to Diana and Tom's farm for the midday. Remember, Diana Richards is the founding "mom" for this fly in.

Landing at dusk with 2.0 on the tach, with the bad tasting flashlight in the mouth. It appears I blew a transistor in the dimmer.....

I'm glad you were able to make it Bruce. It was really cool to talk at length with you on Saturday.

I here there's this guy in the Peoria area with a basement full of Seneca parts.... :D: :D :D

It was you, Bob! You had it on VHS, last report... if you can find the tape, and can send it to me, I can convert it to a digital format and put it on YouTube for us to see.

See the 3rd instance of "Driggs" on this page:

http://www.pilotsofamerica.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-4962.html

My daughter was here and took all of my tapes to Calif. to have her husband put them on disc. I will have to get it back first. or have her send me back that tape. I will check to see if I copied it off. If I did I will send you the copy.

We made it to MO and think we may have slept for 24 hrs when we got back. Thanks for the great time. And Maddie, the little one, is still going on about wanting to go back and see everyone. Thanks for making it special. We'll see you next year. Hopefully we'll cut a little time off our 12 hr trip next year by not having to fly so low in the Tundra along I-55.

Home last last evening, had gone to Diana and Tom's farm for the midday.
Bruce, thanks again for spending time with us. You and Sue really made our day special. We enjoyed watching your Seneca STOL skills, as always.:yes:

Tom enjoyed flying with you. :)

I'm attaching a few photos that I also added to Facebook. (No need to attach the photos you took, just in case they aren't flattering. :D )

Remember, Diana Richards is the founding "mom" for this fly in.
It looks like "the kids" that have taken over have done quite well. :yes: I am enjoying reading this thread and seeing the photos.

Tom and I plan to fly to Gaston's in a week or so to enjoy the fall foliage as it peaks down there.

I imagine you handled it like a pro, as always. :)

Attachments

• Bruce taxiing in Seneca (2303 x 1327).jpg
    Bruce taxiing in Seneca (2303 x 1327).jpg
    535.4 KB · Views: 53
  • Bruce taxiing by pumpkin (1013 x 511).jpg
    Bruce taxiing by pumpkin (1013 x 511).jpg
    203.9 KB · Views: 47
  • Bruce in the beans (1521 x 1140).jpg
    Bruce in the beans (1521 x 1140).jpg
    493.3 KB · Views: 51
  • Bruce taxiing Citabria 2 (1152 x 864).jpg
    Bruce taxiing Citabria 2 (1152 x 864).jpg
    324.4 KB · Views: 50
JT, my approach speed was a little high the first time around. At 240 MPH indicated, I don't think I could've slowed down by the end of the runway. Plus I was well above gear and flap speed. So a go-around was prudent. ;)

Next year, I think that two 310s should show up. :yes:
Yes a go around was prudent. As to a second 310, who knows

Back