Gaston's Fly In 2015 - October 8-11th

Same strategy was used for testing takeoff. I figured Kent about equaled our luggage, the dog, and Linda :)

I even busted out the manual and read the instructions.

Interesting datapoint. Kent fits a hell of a lot better in a Mooney than he does in the front of a Malibu.

Last edited:
Like you said to me, The Malibu was built more for passenger comfort than making it easy for the pilots to get into their seats.

The Malibu has instructions? Why didn't you tell me that?!

I thought the POH just said:

"Dear Doctor,

You're a smart man, an MD, and a Piper Malibu owner. You can figure this out."

nothing new, they just hid it from you

I knew there was something fishy about all these stories of copious quantities of smoked meats!

Oh well. I'm well marbled. Y'all will eat like kings.

Or was that I've lost my marbles? I can never remember these things Karen tells me to remember...

I knew there was something fishy about all these stories of copious quantities of smoked meats!

Oh well. I'm well marbled. Y'all will eat like kings.

Long pork from Colorado. That should bring a premium....

At Gaston's, you get invited to Cabin 6.
You say to yourself "I'm gonna have some spaghetti, hang for a bit and call it a night."

By the way, the meat is getting a lot of accolades but I quite enjoyed the pasta and penis cookies as well. Teresa worked her butt off cooking for that group the first night. It was cold, and more people than anticipated showed up at cabin 6 that night and we were all well fed. :yes:

Back to my point... You have these plans to hang with pilots at Cabin 6

attachment.php

But this is the only mental image that remains

attachment.php

I know there was a lot of beer, liquor, panoramas, and asking Dr. Bruce if "this looks infected" but the only thing one recalls at Cabin 6 is a blur of laughter, cheese logs, and Jesse talking folks out of buying planes that he is currently selling :)

Attachments

• 20151010_211111.jpg
    20151010_211111.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 255
  • 20151010_215028.jpg
    20151010_215028.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 255
Yup, not a problem at all. I wussed out of Gastons in the Malibu initially this year until I had a chance to really look at the runway. I also had to make sure someone less important (Spike) than the dog and Linda were riding with me when I tried it the first time.

...but I was barking the whole time! :yes:

lol... I was thinking the same thing, is Jesse trying to talk us into buying it or is he talking himself out of selling it?:rofl:

Jesse is nothing if not honest.

But with one engine, it's only half as cool.

It's probably also more reliable, which also makes it less cool.

...but I was barking the whole time! :yes:

proof I'm too weird... I read this and my mind flashed to a Kim Cattrall character from a 1981 movie, nicknamed "Lassie". Just replace locker room with interior of aircraft.

you know...

call me a heretic...

but...

I think the prettiest plane that showed up at Gaston's this weekend was one that wasn't a part of our group.

I fell in lust.

And for those of you who weren't there...

It was just as pretty (or prettier) on the inside as it was on the out...

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_20151010_112053969.jpg
    IMG_20151010_112053969.jpg
    104.8 KB · Views: 235
  • IMG_20151010_112110683.jpg
    IMG_20151010_112110683.jpg
    106.5 KB · Views: 514
That tri-pacer parked next to it wasn't too shabby either...

Told ya I'd use automation, Spike.

attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• 284M Gastons fri042 768x576.jpg
    284M Gastons fri042 768x576.jpg
    317 KB · Views: 183
  • Gastons Last Plane N284M crop.jpg
    Gastons Last Plane N284M crop.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 186
Ouch. Almost looks like the gear handle was in the UP position and when it got light on the wheels they folded.

After Ted and Laurie's son Robert had fun "flying" Birdie on the ground, I spent a lot of time checking every switch and knob was where I wanted it before I fired up!

Good thinking. I always do the same in the 310. Of course, before long he'll have the hot start procedure down better than me.

Finally got my pics off the camera...

Troy's excellent TR182 landing and rollout:
attachment.php

attachment.php

Dr. Dave Taylor and his Wooden Wonder, taxiing out and high above catching the last rays of sun for the day:
attachment.php

attachment.php

Ted and his nice 310 Sugar Pop getting ready to depart, and high above on his way back home:
attachment.php

attachment.php

Kelsey got this great shot of Jesse and me in the Malibu:
attachment.php

And finally, EdFred clearing the runway and pulling up into the evening sky:
attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_5899.jpg
    IMG_5899.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 105
  • IMG_5901.jpg
    IMG_5901.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 102
  • IMG_5902.jpg
    IMG_5902.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 101
  • IMG_5921.jpg
    IMG_5921.jpg
    923.7 KB · Views: 104
  • IMG_5933.jpg
    IMG_5933.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 102
  • IMG_5936.jpg
    IMG_5936.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 103
  • IMG_5942.jpg
    IMG_5942.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 100
  • IMG_5944.jpg
    IMG_5944.jpg
    834.9 KB · Views: 98
  • IMG_5949.jpg
    IMG_5949.jpg
    943.7 KB · Views: 102
Awesome pictures, Kent! Any chance you could eMail me full res versions of Sugar Pop?

Also, the fly-over shot shows that the LED nav/strobes work quite well from all angles! :yes:

The wig-wag LED's on Sugar Pops engine Nacelle's are a great addition. Made the aircraft very noticeable.

The wig-wag LED's on Sugar Pops engine Nacelle's are a great addition. Made the aircraft very noticeable.

Thanks, Mike. Our specific reason for wanting to do that was to make the plane more visible, especially in uncontrolled environments where visibility and radio communication may be lacking.

Aircraft wise, it was a pretty cheap addition.

Thanks, Mike. Our specific reason for wanting to do that was to make the plane more visible, especially in uncontrolled environments where visibility and radio communication may be lacking.

Aircraft wise, it was a pretty cheap addition.

Do you run them in cruise too, or just during departure/arrivals? I have been leaving my LED wig-wags on during the entire flight, but I know some people turn them off at cruise and then back on as part of the descent checklist items.

Does your answer change for day / night / IMC?

Kent:

Great photos!

Do you run them in cruise too, or just during departure/arrivals? I have been leaving my LED wig-wags on during the entire flight, but I know some people turn them off at cruise and then back on as part of the descent checklist items.

Does your answer change for day / night / IMC?

I do change my procedure. Daytime (defined as any time when I don't need landing lights to see the runway), I hit wigwags when I start the plane, and leave them on for the entire flight. I want visibility!

Night I turn them on solid until I'm in the climb, and then switch to wigwags. Back on solid for landing. For night VMC that doesn't bother me at all.

IMC it depends on whether or not it bothers me. At night, it bothers me. Sometimes also during the day, but usually not. I also turn off the wing strobes if I turn the wig wags off. Thems LEDs is bright! :yes:

One big benefit of the LEDs is that I don't worry about them burning out like I did with the old GE filament bulbs.

I do change my procedure. Daytime (defined as any time when I don't need landing lights to see the runway), I hit wigwags when I start the plane, and leave them on for the entire flight. I want visibility!

Night I turn them on solid until I'm in the climb, and then switch to wigwags. Back on solid for landing. For night VMC that doesn't bother me at all.

IMC it depends on whether or not it bothers me. At night, it bothers me. Sometimes also during the day, but usually not. I also turn off the wing strobes if I turn the wig wags off. Thems LEDs is bright! :yes:

One big benefit of the LEDs is that I don't worry about them burning out like I did with the old GE filament bulbs.

Sounds like your MO is the same as mine. :yes:

Sounds like your MO is the same as mine. :yes:

I spent countless hours figuring out the optimal procedure.

By countless I mean I can't count them because it was about 12 seconds. ;)

Back