Gaston's Fly In 2015 - October 8-11th

TangoWhiskey

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
3Green
Folks,

The fly-in is ON! Dates are set: October 8-11th. The poll was a strict tie (once we discarded 6PC's vote since he said he can't budget to make it anyway, drat!). Availability was best on the October dates, however, so that's when it will be this year!

CALL GASTON'S DIRECTLY to make your reservations, at 870-431-5202. Tell them you are with the "Pilots of America" group, and they'll do their best to put us all in the same general cabin/bedroom vicinity.

SEE YOU THERE!

Anybody interested in reviving and participating in a modified Poker Run? No buy in, just fly out, get your cards, winner gets an aviation-related door prize.

Are we getting the cabins near where you and T were this last time? I thought they were a better location than where the rest of us were located.

And yes to a Poker run.

Are we getting the cabins near where you and T were this last time? I thought they were a better location than where the rest of us were located.

And yes to a Poker run.

Yes, I just booked a Deluxe cabin (two rooms), same one we had last year (#6, up by the pool). If others ask to book up there, it's a short walk to the flightline, the pool, the restaurant, and we have a "cul-de-sac" area to use.

Mike, I'll also post this on DFWPilots.

Yes, I just booked a Deluxe cabin (two rooms), same one we had last year (#6, up by the pool). If others ask to book up there, it's a short walk to the flightline, the pool, the restaurant, and we have a "cul-de-sac" area to use.

Not to mention a few hundred yards closer to the Dam.

Sigh... While I do hate the summer weather there, I can't come down until Friday night when it's during the school year unless I leave my wife behind. :(

I'll definitely be there...not sure if Chris will be joining me or not but I'll be there.

Friday night works! Or Kel can call in sick Friday!

She would... In only 4 years she's already built up 33 sick days, because she never uses them!

However, it really messes up the lesson schedule for the other band director when she takes a day off, so she never does.

I can never make it between October 1-15. Final tax extensions.

When you guys are making reservations, you might ask for one of the newly remodeled units....

ac0013edc0c709cbaf886e8cbae16be0.jpg

I thought the plan was to get one of those 4-plex cabins with the common area?

I thought the plan was to get one of those 4-plex cabins with the common area?

We did indeed discuss everybody pitching in towards a common "field house" cabin for those late night sessions. Anybody want to do that?

Since I'm new to this "Lower-48" flying and have never been to "Gaston's"... Where does this take place?

I'm assuming it's in Fort Worth, TX?

No, far closer to you than that, Gaston's is a resort with a grass airstrip near Mountain Home, AR....NW AR just south of the MO border and just downstream from Bull Shoals dam on the Whit River. The fly-in is a great time, you should join us.

It's a beautiful piece of the planet.

www.gastons.com

3m0 (tree mike zero) is the identifier!

Tim meant the White River, not the Whit River, but the "dam booze" got to him!

No, far closer to you than that, Gaston's is a resort with a grass airstrip near Mountain Home, AR....NW AR just south of the MO border and just downstream from Bull Shoals dam on the Whit River. The fly-in is a great time, you should join us.

It's a beautiful piece of the planet.

www.gastons.com

Hey now, this looks right up my alley... Flying, fishing... Booze... Heck ya! Count me in...

Looking forward to it!

After a few years of absence (regrettably), Sue and I will be going to Gaston's again for this get together. Looking forward to it. Thanks to Troy for the remodeled cabin heads up. We're in #10.

After a few years of absence (regrettably), Sue and I will be going to Gaston's again for this get together. Looking forward to it. Thanks to Troy for the remodeled cabin heads up. We're in #10.

Great! Can't wait to see you two.

---

Got No. 7 reserved.

3m0 (tree mike zero) is the identifier!

Tim meant the White River, not the Whit River, but the "dam booze" got to him!

and here I was thinking he knows not a whit about the White River

What are the options for a newly minted pilot who either wouldn't want to try the landing at Gaston's just yet or who's rental plane owner forbids grass strip landings?

Land at Flippin and hitch a ride?

What are the options for a newly minted pilot who either wouldn't want to try the landing at Gaston's just yet or who's rental plane owner forbids grass strip landings?

Or Mountain Home - and one of the attendees from here will always come get ya.

Or Mountain Home - and one of the attendees from here will always come get ya.

Yeah, Mountain Home is a far better option (by road). Plus Gaston's will send their van up to Mountain Home to get you if we're all too drunk! ;)

Possibly fly with a Denton based pilot who has been known to go there?

(for the PoA gang, Little Elm, TX is not far from my location)

If you fly up and are uncomfortable trying it when you arrive, announce on the CTAF Frequency, land at Mountain Home, and someone will likely fly over and get you.

Once you do it once, you'll likely be less intimidated, but (of course) you should never try it if you are not comfortable.

Look on this page, there's a great video about it.

http://www.gastonsflyin.com/flying_in.php

If you fly up and are uncomfortable trying it when you arrive, announce on the CTAF Frequency, land at Mountain Home, and someone will likely fly over and get you.

Once you do it once, you'll likely be less intimidated, but (of course) you should never try it if you are not comfortable.

Look on this page, there's a great video about it.

http://www.gastonsflyin.com/flying_in.php

If it's intimidating, a couple low approaches get the feel of it and then put her down. Honestly, the most irritating part of flying into Gastons is the roll out with the wheels chattering over the small pot holes. I don't like knowing my gear is soaking that up.

The fly-in is ON! Dates are set: October 8-11th. The poll was a strict tie (once we discarded 6PC's vote since he said he can't budget to make it anyway, drat!). Availability was best on the October dates, however, so that's when it will be this year!

Hmmm.

Last year, Friday at Gaston's was September 26th. Sunset was 7:01 PM, and we made it in shortly thereafter (15-20 minutes?) with sufficient natural light.

This year, Friday at Gaston's will be October 9th, and sunset will be 6:43 PM.

Clearly, I need a faster airplane. :D

Let's see. At 170 knots and 456nm, it should take 2:42 in still air. If I need to shave that down by 18 minutes and make it in 2:24 to arrive with the same amount of light, I need a 190-knot airplane. Realistically, with climb time, I need a 200-knot airplane. :D

Or I need my wife to get a job with more flexibility so I can come at both an earlier day and time...

Of all the ways to justify installing a Jetprop on that Mooney.... lol!

If it's intimidating, a couple low approaches get the feel of it and then put her down. Honestly, the most irritating part of flying into Gastons is the roll out with the wheels chattering over the small pot holes. I don't like knowing my gear is soaking that up.

Pfft get a bo :)

Count me in! I'll be there - weather and wife permitting.....

is the roll out with the wheels chattering over the small pot holes. I don't like knowing my gear is soaking that up.

Meh. Try it in a Mooney on those rubber biscuits, then get back to me. ANY plane on struts feels like a Cadillac in comparison.

Meh. Try it in a Mooney on those rubber biscuits, then get back to me. ANY plane on struts feels like a Cadillac in comparison.

Pfft... What bumps :)

To be honest, have been thinking about a later model Mooney though for business 'got a get there asap if the weather allows' kinda flying...

Hmmm.

Last year, Friday at Gaston's was September 26th. Sunset was 7:01 PM, and we made it in shortly thereafter (15-20 minutes?) with sufficient natural light.

This year, Friday at Gaston's will be October 9th, and sunset will be 6:43 PM.

Clearly, I need a faster airplane. :D

Let's see. At 170 knots and 456nm, it should take 2:42 in still air. If I need to shave that down by 18 minutes and make it in 2:24 to arrive with the same amount of light, I need a 190-knot airplane. Realistically, with climb time, I need a 200-knot airplane. :D

Or I need my wife to get a job with more flexibility so I can come at both an earlier day and time...

...or, take a flippin' day off, huh?

...or, take a flippin' day off, huh?

She almost never does, because if she does take a day off it's very difficult to get a sub who's a music teacher and if the sub isn't a music teacher and her colleague has to direct all of her bands, the kids don't get their lessons that day and it throws their whole schedule off.

She's only in her fourth year with this district and already has 33 available days off built up!

what's the point of vacation time if she functionally can't use it.

what's the point of vacation time if she functionally can't use it.

Welcome to the wonderful world of teaching.

BTW, for those who think teachers are "overpaid" because they "get summer vacation off": She actually only gets one week more of vacation than I do but doesn't get to choose when to take it, has the same level of degree and works at least as hard, and gets to deal with rascally kids, terrible parents and the school board, and has a job that's infinitely more important to society than mine... And she makes half what I do. It's quite disturbing, really.

Back