Gaston's Fly In 2015 - October 8-11th

Welcome to the wonderful world of teaching.

BTW, for those who think teachers are "overpaid" because they "get summer vacation off": She actually only gets one week more of vacation than I do but doesn't get to choose when to take it, has the same level of degree and works at least as hard, and gets to deal with rascally kids, terrible parents and the school board, and has a job that's infinitely more important to society than mine... And she makes half what I do. It's quite disturbing, really.

A week in the spring, two weeks at Christmas, the week of Thanksgiving, 8 weeks in the summer. That is 12 weeks of vacation. You get one week less? You get 11 weeks of vacation a year? I need you negotiating my next employment contract!

Kent - sorry for derailing this thread, and just to be clear I'm not trying to be critical of her, just "the system". I understand her predicament, many members of my family have or are working as teachers. I never understood people at my "normal" job who banked up assloads of vacation time. I always burned all of mine on fun stuff ASAP. maybe that's why they let me go :)

That's the weekend of my wife's birthday so I won't be making it.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk

A week in the spring, two weeks at Christmas, the week of Thanksgiving, 8 weeks in the summer. That is 12 weeks of vacation. You get one week less? You get 11 weeks of vacation a year? I need you negotiating my next employment contract!

No. I get four weeks, whenever I want, plus 10 paid holidays.

She gets a week in the spring, a week at Christmas (although this year they did get two weeks, they usually don't), and THREE weeks in the summer, for a total of five (and no, they don't get "a week" at Thanksgiving, it's two days - And those are paid holidays for me, they don't count against my vacation). After school ends, she only has two weeks before she has to start teaching summer school and there's only a week between that finishing and school starting up again in the fall.

My wife is a teacher also...I've been sitting here trying to figure out how to make this work...

We just head out ASAP when she's done with school on Friday. It's about a 2 1/2 hour flight for us, which gets us there early enough to land at Gaston's with some light. Or at least it did last year. :eek:

I am going to try and make this one, looking forward to meeting some of you guys that have been great help to me !!!

How about you land at Mountain Home's lit runway Friday night, we go get you, and you fly over in the morning, Kent?

We can always throw out some candles or flashlights to mark the grass for you!! :D

Light? Who needs light to land there?

(Insert chopper scene lines from Predator with Jesse Ventura here)

Is this October fly-in replacing the one that is usually held in June, at Gastons"

Is this October fly-in replacing the one that is usually held in June, at Gastons"

Yep. No one seemed to like steaming in the heat and fighting the thunderstorms to get home. *******.

It'll be great Bob weather!

Yep. No one seemed to like steaming in the heat and fighting the thunderstorms to get home. *******.

It'll be great Bob weather!

I would like to get back there again, so we will see how it goes. It sounds like there might be some newbies there, huh?

Well If I can find a copilot to fly along I might give it another try. Medical in July is a hurdle I will have to overcome. Also a BFR but I can't flunk that. I just might be there.

And some tween-bies!

These? That'd be fun. Take off from Gaston's, fly up to the lake...

TWIN%20BEE%201.JPG

These? That'd be fun. Take off from Gaston's, fly up to the lake...

TWIN%20BEE%201.JPG

I might even offer a few more rides into Thunder Ridge for those that missed last time I was there.

Attachments

• 30883_759821619390_2044004_n.jpg
    30883_759821619390_2044004_n.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 19
Bob, it would be good to see you. Anybody have connections at ICON Aircraft? They should bring one of their LSAs and give demo rides all day long. ;-)

I've yet to meet a member of the southern POA contingent I didn't like, and I'll have to make it to one of these shin-digs one of these days. But not while I'm teaching Genetics in the Autumn semester. Have fun without me guys. I'm certain it will be ever so much more difficult.

Bob, it would be good to see you. Anybody have connections at ICON Aircraft? They should bring one of their LSAs and give demo rides all day long. ;-)

Yeah, Troy. But I don't think you or I could get one of those rides unless the demo pilot weighed in at less than 100 lbs.

Yeah, Troy. But I don't think you or I could get one of those rides unless the demo pilot weighed in at less than 100 lbs.

There's a gig for Tristan if there ever was one! She could charge triple the going rate just for being small!

It is more of a "I have to drug her like BA to get her in a plane" type of an issue...

You might share this with her. My wife Essie, didn't want to fly with me for the first 23 years that I had a PPL. I got my license in 1980 and finally in 2003 when I said I am going back to see our son in Bloominton, IL. and then on to Oshkosh she said I will fly with you. Then she flew every where and any where with me, but the problem was she died in 2012 and she only got to share my love of flying for 9 of those 32 years. She refused to fly to our daughters college graduation, that I had to fly to because I had to get back to Vale to go on another car trip the following day. That put a strain on our relationship. Don't put it off to long.

This kid out of Tulsa Riverside has some great IMC/IFR videos... but his departure out of Gastons for the first time caught his attention. Here's his post-flight debrief.

This kid out of Tulsa Riverside has some great IMC/IFR videos... but his departure out of Gastons for the first time caught his attention. Here's his post-flight debrief.

1.) I kinda got tired of him talking all the time.
2.) He needs to ride with Tom a time or two in/out. (If Tom still does that)
3.) He keeps blabbing about needing 18kts to hit Vy, but what about Vx? Fly Vx until you have some clearance, then transition to Vy.

What is Vx on a 177 anyway? The Mooney has a Vx of 66kts, at 72kts he should have been going up.

Last edited:
He needs to go read his soft field procedure again. Everything he mentions as "oh my gosh I had to..." is covered by the procedure. "I had to horse it off of the ground!" How about read the part about popping it up into ground effect as soon as you can and then accelerate to Vx. Climb at Vx until clear of obstacles and then accelerate to Vy. This is nothing new and it is not rocket science.

What is Vx on a 177 anyway? The Mooney has a Vx of 66kts, at 72kts he should have been going up.

After watching the video, I looked up a 177RG POH. Vx is 62 knots, Vy is 82. Not sure why he said Vy was 88 in the video.

In the comments, he states that he had a "gusty tailwind" on takeoff and that's why he didn't use Vx... Probably should have been climbing slower though.

He just wants to sound cool, dats all.... Nothing to see there.

I'm so annoyed by this video I may have to come back to this thread later to rant.

I can start with why he thinks it's 88 for Vy. Because he never picked up the damned POH and did a takeoff plan or self-brief.

What was his calculated takeoff roll? What (of the many possible) landmarks was his go-stop point where he would have shut it down? What was his expected climb rate at either Vx or Vy for atmospheric conditions?

He didn't have a damn clue and still probably doesn't. Don't be this guy.

Dude needs to STFU and needs to relearn how to fly.

I haven't made the trip to Gastons yet but other than the DA can't imagine it being any more challenging than 6Y9, thoughts?

I have not been to 6Y9-er (yet), but from what I have seen, the trees are the principal factor, and it sure looks to me like El Con has done a fine job of land-acquisition and chainsaw-engineering the problem to modest proportions.

Gaston's need not be dangerous - you must understand the terrain and its limitations, of course, and have a plan. Pay attention (it's one way in, one way out, so maintain awareness of who's where).

On departure, the engine failure plan is runway, then pasture, then the river.

On approach, fly between the trees (plenty of room) and don't land long or hot. Good field, plenty of length. If you're too fast, make the go-around call early to avoid any issue with the rising terrain and wires to the west.

The change to October should help with density altitude. I haven't dulled it out but it is early to commit as well. I am going to 6Y9 for sure either by Arrow or RV ( the six wheel version)

If you have a stol type airplane you can pull off either direction. I have seen it done.

Back