Gaston's Fly In 2015 - October 8-11th

We made it to MO and think we may have slept for 24 hrs when we got back. Thanks for the great time. And Maddie, the little one, is still going on about wanting to go back and see everyone. Thanks for making it special. We'll see you next year. Hopefully we'll cut a little time off our 12 hr trip next year by not having to fly so low in the Tundra along I-55.

I know Robert enjoyed playing with Maddie! We are glad you brought her.

And next year if you think you have to drive, call me and I'll come get you in the 310. I know what long road trips are like with kiddos.

Dave, thanks for the compliment to Hillary. She was sitting right here next to me when we read it.

Look forward to meeting again next year.

Thanks everybody for taking us less fortunate along. I enjoyed reading all your posts. Looks like a really good time was had by all.

So. What are the dates for next year? I'm in! :cheers:

Laurie says we're going next year come hell or high water and wants to book a cabin now. We're in!

Dave taking off without me :)

attachment.php

Attachments

• DT.jpg
    DT.jpg
    285.3 KB · Views: 147
Clark leaving

attachment.php

Attachments

• Clark.jpg
    Clark.jpg
    135.5 KB · Views: 149
Landing at dusk with 2.0 on the tach, with the bad tasting flashlight in the mouth. It appears I blew a transistor in the dimmer.....

You gotta spring for a cheap headlamp. Sooooo much nicer than a flashlight against teeth!

Last edited:
Folks, many thanks for the compliments on the smoked brisket and pulled pork! Your generosity in the donation cup made possible a nice donation to an aviation related charity, Angel Flight, on behalf of all y'all:

attachment.php

Attachments

• Screen Shot 10-13-15 at 07.05 AM.PNG
    Screen Shot 10-13-15 at 07.05 AM.PNG
    465.9 KB · Views: 250
Ed Giving a passenger briefing.

"Sit Down, Don't Touch anything and if you say a word, I swear, I will turn this plane around and take you back to Mountain home!"

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_4501.JPG
    IMG_4501.JPG
    84.3 KB · Views: 234
Ha you want to see a bump that will tighten you up? Go search for the video of Michael Driggs in his M20C at the first gastons FLYIN 11 years ago or so.

Oh my Goodness. I witnessed it and thought for sure he was going into the trees on the north side of the runway.

Dear Gaston Fly-In Group,

On behalf of Angel Flight South Central, I would like to thank you for your generous contribution to our organization at your fun-filled fly-in! Angel Flight works with a network of amazing volunteer pilots who help provide free flights for people who need to travel long distances for medical care, such as cancer treatment. Your thoughtful gift will help us coordinate more missions, recruit more pilots, and find more people in need of our services.

We are truly grateful for your support!

All the best,
Elizabeth

Looks like it was an incredible time! Good job documenting it with all the pictures. I enjoyed reading through that immensely.

I don't think we have adequately expressed our thanks to Troy and Teresa. They both put a lot of hard work into the event and did a great job!

Thanks, guys, for all you did!

Last edited:
I don't think we have adequately expressed our thanks to Troy and Teresa. The both put a lot of hard work into the event and did a great job!

110% Thank you one and all who organized and pulled off Gastons 2015.
Thank you to all of the participants that came! :yes:

I don't think we have adequately expressed our thanks to Troy and Teresa. They both put a lot of hard work into the event and did a great job!

Excellent point. Thank you, Troy and Teresa!

(for putting up with Tim :D)

Thanks guys! A lot of people put a lot of work into this, it wasn't just me and Teresa! Together, though, it sure made for an AWESOME year at Gaston's! How cool was it to see arriving planes have to park along the tree line again!?!?

Thanks guys! A lot of people put a lot of work into this, it wasn't just me and Teresa! Together, though, it sure made for an AWESOME year at Gaston's! How cool was it to see arriving planes have to park along the tree line again!?!?

A lot of new people were there, which is great, that keeps the life in the event.

A lot of new people were there, which is great, that keeps the life in the event.

So true!

Some regulars, some new folks, shake and season to taste.

I'm ready for next year. :yes:

Reasons why I'm skittish to take the Lucky Strike into these kinds of fields.

That *was* like, 10-12 years ago, and we've had thousands of flight ops since.

Some people go to Mountain Home instead. It's just a hop, skip and a jump from Gaston's.

Yup, not a problem at all. I wussed out of Gastons in the Malibu initially this year until I had a chance to really look at the runway. I also had to make sure someone less important (Spike) than the dog and Linda were riding with me when I tried it the first time.

Don't think I'd ever land there in the Malibu without walking the runway myself.

Yup, not a problem at all. I wussed out of Gastons in the Malibu initially this year until I had a chance to really look at the runway. I also had to make sure someone less important (Spike) than the dog and Linda were riding with me when I tried it the first time.

:rofl:

Back