Gaston's Fly In 2015 - October 8-11th

Four hours there, Four and three-quarter hours on the return, a little over 1,200 miles total. It was good to see old friends and meet a few new ones. Troy does know how to smoke and I think everyone put his meat in their mouth...err, perhaps that should be rephrased....

Oh, there were some shiney airplanes with flashy lights. But there was no Cirrus there.

Last edited:
All I know is that I ate (and drank) enough in three days to last me a week!

It was great to see old friends and make new ones.

Now it's off to Georgia with an O-470L

Four hours there, Four and three-quarter hours on the return, a little over 1,200 miles total. It was good to see old friends and meet a few new ones. Troy does know how to smoke and I think everyone put his meat in their mouth...err, perhaps that should be rephrased....

Oh, there were some shiney airplanes with flashy lights. But there was no Cirrus there.

I think the cirrus is still lost circling the field at 4000

Home safe. Thank you everyone for the hospitality and good times. I will most definitely be seeing you again next year.

Just noticed the sub-labeling on Bryan's beer:

93e722a575211c9d2b9c85006e57f59a.jpg

:rofl:

:rofl: I could've had a beer before takeoff, then!

All I know is Troy can smoke my brisket anytime he wants to! ;)

(and according to Clark, the supreme court says that's okay!)

Hey, when I was leaving sat night in the Archer, did you guys see me bunny hop that hump in the strip? Hit it at about 45 knots which popped me I the air and the stall horn starts screaming.... Tires came down and 5 knots later I was up.

Scared the hell'outa me as I was not expecting that.

Yep,. We saw it and it took us they rest of the evening to clean the brown stains off of the runway.

Hey, when I was leaving sat night in the Archer, did you guys see me bunny hop that hump in the strip? Hit it at about 45 knots which popped me I the air and the stall horn starts screaming.... Tires came down and 5 knots later I was up.

Welcome to grass...

Last edited:

I tried to pull up a little too soon to avoid the hump, but ended up dragging the tail wheel a little. :redface:

I think that plane was at Gaston's this morning. It and a Navion flew up from the Little Rock area for Sunday brunch. Polished aluminum and bright red. Pretty bird.

Good! They made it! Hope they had a chance to meet a few of the POA folks.

Both the c170 and the Navion driver are two guys with fat log books and a lot of aeronautical knowledge.

All I know is Troy can smoke my brisket anytime he wants to! ;)

(and according to Clark, the supreme court says that's okay!)

Troy did an amazing job with the meat.

Who ever made the little wenies surrounded by bread deserves honorable mention for the appetizers table! All of the food was great! Wow!

Tim did an amazing with home made dark chocolate ice cream! I think it had chopped up Heath Bars in it also. Very adult taste. Amazing! :yes:

What an amazing day. :yes:

Last edited:
Er.... There was no roll. You never saw anyting ;)

But I bet you were really embarrassed when you had to do that go around :D
Edit: Sorry about the commentary, one of the fishermen came out of a cabin and was standing next to me.

Last edited:
Bryan, your pictures aren't showing - at least on my BlackBerry.

Ted,

The video of your landing attempt was awesome. Fear the mighty 310. :yes: Too bad you were uncomfortable on that approach and had to abort. Always good to make sure you have blue line before initiating a climb. ;). Ended up going to mountain home?

Sorry I couldn't get there.

JT

Bryan, your pictures aren't showing - at least on my BlackBerry.

Okay, I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed, but I finally figured out why Ted calls himself "iFlyTwins". He has twin girls! The cutest little babies you can imagine! So good! I got some serious baby time holding and playing with them. Here I thought it was due to his twin engine airplane! :D

Too funny Ted!

;)

Last edited:
Very cool meeting many new people and saying hello to friends from Oshkosh and other fly-ins. My wife won't admit how good of a time she had, though she does acknowledge the other wives were good fun :) Good beer to 6PC, can't wait to have more. Troy's meat, I had to go back for seconds. I did a fly-by today at 2 PM and it was much quieter. 3.6 hours on the Hobbs each way for 418 nm is fantastic in a C172. Tailwinds both ways! Landed with about 3 wheel taps in 11G21 coming over the hangars, and then we went and ate at Texas Roadhouse in a salute to all the Texans that flew to Arkansas.

JT, my approach speed was a little high the first time around. At 240 MPH indicated, I don't think I could've slowed down by the end of the runway. Plus I was well above gear and flap speed. So a go-around was prudent. ;)

Next year, I think that two 310s should show up. :yes:

Sorry my computer hiccuped.

Here they are

Greg Taking off
attachment.php

Dave and His Viking
attachment.php

Troy and Birdie
attachment.php

Ken In the left seat flying Lance's Mooney
attachment.php

Attachments

• GregB.jpg
    GregB.jpg
    409.3 KB · Views: 184
  • Viking.jpg
    Viking.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 178
  • Birdie.jpg
    Birdie.jpg
    408.9 KB · Views: 175
  • KenLEftSeat.jpg
    KenLEftSeat.jpg
    123.3 KB · Views: 172
Last edited:
Fisheye View out of EdFred's plane

attachment.php

Attachments

• fisheye.jpg
    fisheye.jpg
    374.7 KB · Views: 169
JT, my approach speed was a little high the first time around. At 240 MPH indicated, I don't think I could've slowed down by the end of the runway. Plus I was well above gear and flap speed. So a go-around was prudent. ;)

Next year, I think that two 310s should show up. :yes:

Did you land on the grass?

Okay, I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed, but I finally figured out why Ted calls himself "iFlyTwins". He has twin girls! The cutest little babies you can imagine! So good! I got some serious baby time holding and playing with them. Here I thought it was due to his twin engine airplane! :D

Too funny Ted!

;)

:rofl:

It has a double meaning now! :yes:

Did you land on the grass?

I did. As you know, my policy with the 310 has been to not land on grass. Yesterday was the first time. Gaston's really is a nice grass strip. You do have to be on your game when coming in with a faster bird like a 310 or Malibu (mostly due to the terrain around the airport as well as the 3200 ft field length), but they routinely get 421s in there as well. In fact, there was a 421C that had landed there earlier in the week.

Last edited:
If you guys had triplets would you buy a Ford Trimotor? :dunno:

;)

There's a funny story with that. When we went for the first ultrasound, the ultrasound tech originally thought she saw 3 in there and told us as such. For many reasons, that was highly improbable.

While Laurie was panicing, I was thinking two things.

1) This tech doesn't seem good at her job, so I think she's probably wrong
2) If she's right, we'll have to buy a 421 :D

I can't wait to see the girls running all over next year at Gaston's. :yes:

We'll be there! :yes:

Here goes my first post on POA, hugely peer pressured by Jesse. Thanks for all the great company, food, brooze, and the women (and men) who set and cleaned up after everyone. Let's not forget to mention Troy's deliciously smoked meats. It was wonderfully coordinated. It's good to put all the pretty faces to the names I've heard so much about. The twins were great and probably closer to my age than the majority. Bentley enjoyed his time flying and running around. Thanks for the great time! Hoping for a lengthier stay next time!

Linda

It was great to meet you too Linda! Fantastic event. We did a rough count over dinner; we figure there was at least 42 people, maybe as much as 45?

Sorry my computer hiccuped.

Here they are

Greg Taking off
attachment.php

Dave and His Viking
attachment.php

Troy and Birdie
attachment.php

Ken In the left seat flying Lance's Mooney
attachment.php
These are some great shots; thanks!
We had a great time and have realized how much we miss this. Even if I couldn't recognize Steve "Santa Claus" See! Sorry he couldn't have hung around more!

Did Spike make it home alright I haven't seen a post from him saying that he was home.

HOME!!

What a great time everyone...so glad I made the trip with Bryan...was a long day heading home and boy was it bumpy and windy in Texas today...16 gusting 27 at my home airport, KGTU when I landed today around 4:30pm.

Look forward to the trip next year - hope it works out that I can make it.

I got a bunch of video on my GoPro...some came out better than others...unfortunately the GoPro doesn't focus well at longish distances but it'll work...Hopefully I get the video editing done sometime this week but will post here as soon as I get it on YouTube.

Back