Gaston's Fly In 2015 - October 8-11th

Flew with Danielle, Javier & Hillary in the Wooden Wonder this am.
Hopped Jesse and Spoke over to Mnt Home so they could pick up the Malibu.
Played with the thin scattered layer, flew low over the lake, go-round for bunch of large white birds on the runway.
Resting in the room, as fishing boats drift past on the fast moving, sun-sparkled river through the bay window.

One request for folks there...

Our 3-year-old son (Robert) has been feeling a bit sad lately because his baby sisters (twin girls, 10 months) always get the "Ooohhh!! Babies! Twins!!!" reaction when people walk up, and he gets ignored.

He'd sure appreciate it (as would Laurie and I) if folks said hi to him first, and especially showed him their airplanes. He loves airplanes!

Our 3yo is here. She'll be happy for company.

Just Javier & Hillary in the 22.
Rode in edfreds comanche yesterday
Flew in lance's Mooney.

This is a great day

Some debts are fun to repay! Thanks Spike!!

4572ba63cff34407b489d6c09c5182d4.jpg

7b3618ec828c8d03d2da1dfbf2acee45.jpg

Those who didn't show have no idea what they missed...... Epic. Best fly-in eeeevvvvvvaaaahhhhhhh!!!!!

I'm logging 0.1 imc.

(Note to self. Sunset at Gastons mid Oct is Right Down Rwy 24.)

Jimmie and I successfully executed the missed, returning after ss.

Thanks for all the pictures,wish I was there.

My gosh that was a meal out of this world! Many thanks to all who provided that. I am not going to give thanks to specific folks here because I know I will miss someone, so if you were a provider just know how appreciative I am, I believe it is safe to say; we all are!

Nice late evening flight... Thanks Ed!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    859.4 KB · Views: 46
Many thanks to the organizers and all that flew in. Much needed time out of doors for this person normally condemned to the office.

Haven't picked up the camera in years, so many of my pics weren't as good as I hoped. Posting the few that turned out fair.

Mucho fun - sorry I had to duck out early, but had to be back before the sun set - downside to hangaring on a grass strip.

(Did get a bonus: watching KSU kick the snot out of TCU - good day !!)

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• PA075925.jpg
    PA075925.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 185
  • PA075895.jpg
    PA075895.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 187
  • PA075882.jpg
    PA075882.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 186
  • PA075878.jpg
    PA075878.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 183
  • PA075865.jpg
    PA075865.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 183
  • PA075934.jpg
    PA075934.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 181
It is pretty smooth. There is a bump about 1800-2000' down the runway. Not much of one though.

It is a perfect day. Amazing airplanes, awesome weather, cool people. I can't imagine anything better than Gaston's, today.

This was my first time and I am amazed at the beauty of the place. The weather, the antiques in the restaurant, the food everyone brought, the scenery, the river, the flying, the people. Perfect!

Here is the sunset over Gastons. I did not alter it in any way. It was a magical flight home. The entire sky was ablaze with color. Good day to be alive.

Gastons.jpg

Last edited:
Anybody have video of my runway inspection in Birdie? I haven't seen it. PM me a YT link please!

So now we are trying to figure h.out how many pilots and iPhones it takes to so a successful panoramic photo.

We've got the kids tucked into bed. We all had a great time! Laurie said she thought this was the most fun she's ever had at a fly-in, and I'm inclined to agree. Great food, great people, great airplanes.

Thanks to everyone for making it such a fun time. We especially appreciated the help holding the babies! Next year we're going to plan to stay the weekend with the kids!

If anyone has videos of the... umm... inspections we did in the 310, I'd like to see them. :)

Can't wait to see you all again soon!

At about 9:30 tonight (well, last night since it's now Sunday morning) the front desk reported that, thus far, only one couple came into the office and asked...

"Ummm, when are they leaving?"

:goofy:

Met Clark, Dana,dr Bruce,geico, tim, ted, lance, jesse, edfred, mike,tim,ken, brian]. Jcranford, jeff, greg, kent, javier, dave,susan, susan, susan, and susan,and Andrew, Hillary, sharon, troy, teresa(sp), spike, and several others this weekend.

Flew in lots of planes, and had a blast.
This is THE fly-in

Last edited:
the front desk reported that, thus far, only one couple came into the office and asked...
"Ummm, when are they leaving?"

Some of us discussed that it might be a useful gesture for those with a/c to offer rides to staff/management rides today.....and in future, upon arrival at Gastons. If you are able & so inclined, I encourage this.
Not sure how much it will help us stay in their good graces, but small thinga like this, or cleaning up the flight line this am (in addition to that which some have already done), tipping well etc., etc., could help maintain our welcome here.

Good dose of fog this am for anyone inbound this am (I know of one).... or anyone planning 'Dawn Patrols'.

2015 Gastons Aviation Awards
correct or add as needed:

Fastest a/c - Jesse; in the Malibooboo (also gets award for least prop to grass blade clearance)
Nicest restoration: Greg and Sharon; C-170
Best combo of function & beauty; Troy & Teresa's C T182RG
Most fun a/c: Geico's RV-8(?)
Best simulated, inebriated flight; undisclosed.
Most Wooden airplane: Viking.

still polling for longest and shortest distance GA arrival, post your distance below

Good dose of fog this am for anyone inbound this am (I know of one).... or anyone planning 'Dawn Patrols'.

Maybe it's time for a alarm clock run? Lol :rofl:

I think the best comment yesterday was the Supreme Court remark during Spike's dinner speech.

Fastest a/c - Jesse; in the Malibooboo (also gets award for least prop to grass blade clearance)

I was extremely surprised at the clearance level when someone pointed it out last night. I still think Ed's "low pass, lawn mower" still counts even if half of us behind the tent were fooled.

still polling for longest and shortest distance GA arrival, post your distance below

I vote for myself in The most expensive Archer category and fastest Archer runway inspection category.

Maybe it's time for a alarm clock run? Lol :rofl:

I think the best comment yesterday was the Supreme Court remark during Spike's dinner speech.

Most useful was Dr Bruce explaining the current PBOR situation.

96nm or 50 minutes from master on to master off.

Back