Garmin Pilot for Android -- Tech Support, Tips, Tricks

Discussion in 'Technical Corner' started by Jay Honeck, Jan 17, 2013.

1. Dave Morris

Dave Morris Filing Flight Plan

Display Name:

Display name:
    N1960
    I'm one of those people with a 16GB Nexus 7 running Garmin Pilot. I've been able for several years to keep all the charts I need for flying mostly the southern half of the country, but I'm down to 1/2 GB of space left. Does anyone know how space is recycled when charts are updated? i.e. are expired charts deleted, and if not, where are they stored so I can delete them manually?

Dave Morris
    Mooney M20A N1960 at KTRL

2. RotorDude

RotorDude Pattern Altitude

Display Name:

Display name:
    GliderDude
    I have and use two Nexus 7 (2013) tablets, both running latest version Android and Garmin Pilot. One is 32GB and the other 16GB. On the 16GB, which I actually use as my primary since it's a bit newer (the other is a live backup mounted on the other yoke), I try to be more frugal installing stuff (aviation only), to conserve space. At the moment, it is showing (per the GP "Downloads" screen) 2.00GB available. I think once the new cycle date arrives, it will automatically delete the old revision, which should create around 1GB free (speaking from memory), so I expect to have around 3GB available. Looking at the coverage map, I have around half the country covered.
    BTW, for reference, my 32GB tablet is currently showing 11.72GB available (same coverage, but more junk installed).
    In direct answer to your question, the map storage maintenance between update cycles is automatic -- all you need to do is decide on coverage (and change it as needed).

3. lziegenhals

lziegenhals Pre-Flight PoA Supporter

Display Name:

Display name:
    Lee Z
    I agree with RotorDude, although I believe the previous cycle's files are kept until they expire. So if you load a new cycle before the old cycle expires, you'll have the files for both cycles on the system for a period of time.

Having said that, I have occasionally noticed some old files that are not automatically deleted and can't be manually deleted. For example, I still have some A/FD files from editions 1603 and 1606. Pressing the "Delete" button for one of those files in GP gives me the "Are you sure you want to do that?" prompt, but does not delete the file after clicking "OK". So it looks like the cleanup process does not always work. I have seen this only on the A/FD files, though I'm not sure I would ever know if there were any old files in the Procedures and Charts directories since the interface in GP has no way of showing them (it only shows the maps and status for the current and next cycles). It obviously works 99% of the time or my device would have filled up with old files ages ago! I've thought about removing GP and reinstalling it to see how much space I get back on the device, but haven't actually tried that yet.

Lee

4. Jay Honeck

Jay Honeck Touchdown! Greaser!

Display Name:

Display name:
    Jay Honeck
    Latest GP update is out, with a couple of nice new features. The high-def terminal area chart will be nice!

[​IMG]

5. Jim Rosenow

Jim Rosenow Pre-takeoff checklist PoA Supporter

Display Name:

Display name:
    Jim Rosenow
    Thanks for the heads-up, Jay! D/Ling now.

Jim

6. Ghery

Ghery Final Approach

Display Name:

Display name:
    Ghery Pettit
    The HD TACs are nice.

7. Mistake Not...

Mistake Not... Line Up and Wait

Display Name:

Display name:
    Mistake Not...
    Miss the map for instrument procedures, though. Or do I need to do something to turn it on instead of the list?

8. Ghery

Ghery Final Approach

Display Name:

Display name:
    Ghery Pettit
    I saw this same tablet at Costco for $139.99 yesterday. I may go back and buy another for my wife. Getting really cheap.

9. BrianNC

BrianNC Line Up and Wait

Display Name:

Display name:
    BrianATL
    As far as new tablets that have come along, what's considered now the latest and greatest Android tablet to run Garmin Pilot?

Also, does the wifi only version have a GPS unlike the iPad wifi only's which don't?

10. mtuomi

mtuomi Pattern Altitude

Display Name:

Display name:
    dera
    I just bought a 8" Galaxy Tab S2. Works great with Garmin Pilot. No Apple BS about GPS either - every version includes a receiver.

I wish Garmin would make it easier to go from map view to procedures for a certain field. Now it's too many taps IMO. Procedures should be one selection in the "round menu" you get when you tap a field.

11. denverpilot

denverpilot Taxi to Parking

Display Name:

Display name:
    DenverPilot
    I need to pick up one of these cheap tablets and do a head to head with Garmin on IOS and Android. There's a significant version number gap, are there also a significant number of missing features?

12. BrianNC

BrianNC Line Up and Wait

Display Name:

Display name:
    BrianATL
    Nate, the thread that got me here, someone made this comment about what you're asking about the features:

My experience, exactly. All the 'new' GP features that seem to debut on iOS fall into a category someone else cleverly labeled as NIBU.....'Nice Idea, But Useless'. SV, logbook, glide rings, etc all fall into this category, in my opinion. I have run GP on a Nexus 7, 2nd Gen for 3 years with zero problems and just upgraded to a Samsung Tab 2S 8.0. Speed improvement was impressive and the larger OLED screen screen is great. The more useless crap features these programs get loaded with the slower they run and the more likely they are to have bugs that will hang them up. This is not my primary navigation tool, so don't give me stuff I don't want or need. Bug-free weather, traffic and approach plates are my real need.... everything else is fluff.

https://www.pilotsofamerica.com/community/threads/garmin-pilot-issues-6-0-2.102769/#post-2274410

13. denverpilot

denverpilot Taxi to Parking

Display Name:

Display name:
    DenverPilot
    Yeah, eventually I saw that in the backlog of stuff I'm reading here. But it still isn't a feature list comparison.

Does Garmin publish one? I suspect not.

It's somewhat embarrassing that they essentially make/support two different versions.

Currently a month into an "all features on" eval of it for free that lasts six months, so figured I should see it on Android too. (The, "Just try a small hit of this crack pipe... offer... LOL... no Jepp charts in that trial deal, though.)

14. eman1200

eman1200 Final Approach

Display Name:

Display name:
    eman1200
    A SIX month free trial?