Air-to-Air Carlson

Lowflynjack

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Jack Fleetwood
I flew with Pete yesterday to get some photos of his Carlson. It was a very challenging shoot since the Carlson isn't the fastest bird, but Pete did a great job flying around us. I was stressed when we were taking off, expecting it to be a difficult shoot, but I'm always up for a challenge. It really wasn't that bad and turned out to be a lot of fun for me and my photo pilot Donn.

39926189592_1826aac0da_b.jpg

39926190762_363a1ab578_b.jpg

39926188022_49582bcf84_b.jpg

39926184092_e5a1623462_b.jpg

39247599024_c418de6414_b.jpg

39926182672_a5dcb54a01_b.jpg

39926180702_b2cc52ea50_b.jpg

26085195408_e9b19d3c0b_b.jpg

26085192798_1956c59fd6_b.jpg

26085190708_c2d6f24363_b.jpg

25086817297_92435d2ed5_b.jpg

We even chased Pete back to Lago Vista to watch him land!
39247598504_7901f2dcbf_b.jpg

How does that thing fly around with no prop? You're slipping Jack, you know how we like to see that prop arc. ;)

Very nice! A chance to try out your macro lens, huh? :D
Yep, and Donn's slow-flight skills!

How does that thing fly around with no prop? You're slipping Jack, you know how we like to see that prop arc. ;)
I could have titled this post #blackpropssuck I hate black props, especially with no paint on the tips! White props are my favorite, silver is good, or if you're Skip Stewart red is good!

I could have titled this post #blackpropssuck I hate black props, especially with no paint on the tips! White props are my favorite, silver is good, or if you're Skip Stewart red is good!
I shared the preview picture with friend yesterday, and:

<NovaJinx_> he used a very low f-stop (( EXIF says f/25 ))
<NovaJinx_> I think he was trying to make the propeller disc smooth
<NovaJinx_> normally you'll never ever want to go beyond f/16 because diffraction will f*** your sh** up

<NovaJinx_> normally you'll never ever want to go beyond f/16 because diffraction will f*** your sh** up
LOL, ok.

That thing does not need a prop.
You can see from the very first picture how big/small that thing is. The pilot has a hole in the floor and he just Flintstones it on takeoff. :D

Great pictures, Jack, as always!

Lou I was actually wondering if that guy regretted putting on a helmet. Doesn't look like one could fit a box of Chiclets in there.

LOL True.
I also wonder how much fuel he needed to leave behind in order to carry the helmet (without exceeding his MTOW). :)

I keed, I keed, small airplanes are helluva fun. If it flies, it's fun. (well, forget drones)

I thought the same Tim and Jack. I was gonna ask about it but Tim asked first. For me that prop arc is like a trademark for your pics Jack. But wow, great background you chose with that colorful plane, especially the blue of the water. As usual outstanding shots Jack!

Lou I was actually wondering if that guy regretted putting on a helmet. Doesn't look like one could fit a box of Chiclets in there.
Flying the Carlson is precisely why. You can even see it in Jack's pictures, and mind that I was craning down in order to maintain the visual contact with the photo ship. When I just bought the plane, I kept banging my hand painfully upon the tubes and the little stiffener that goes across the roof. So, I looked at the prices of real helmets, like Gallet and Gentex, and quickly decided that it made no sense. Then I bought the David Clark K-10 that you see in the photos. I suppose a bicycle helmet would work too, but a) I needed a headset, and those were not compatible with bicycle helments, and b) a modicum of crash protection turned out to be very useful. Unfortunately, I think they don't sell K-10 anymore.

Why would you buy a plane that is so painful to fly? I'm kidding...sort of. Anyway...um....Jack hates your prop! <runs away>

I thought the same Tim and Jack. I was gonna ask about it but Tim asked first. For me that prop arc is like a trademark for your pics Jack. But wow, great background you chose with that colorful plane, especially the blue of the water. As usual outstanding shots Jack!
Yeah, I wasn't happy with the way the prop came out. It was flat black and that just wasn't going to work. Oh well, it was still fun!

Pete, I know you didn't mean anything bad by this, but I disagree completely with your friend. First, I use shutter priority, so the camera sets the aperture (or f-stop). This is because the light changes a lot during a shoot. I make the prop disk that everyone loves by slowing down the shutter speed, but without something to reflect the light back, it wasn't happening. I'm not happy with the way the prop came out, but I like the photos. Pretty sure my s*** wasn't f***ed up...

I kept banging my hand painfully upon the tubes and the little stiffener that goes across the roof.

I had a friend who was flying and woke up in the hospital. He had hit his head on a bar in the top of the plane and it knocked him out. Took them a long time to figure out what happened to him. With you being 6'5" in a small plane, keep wearing the helmet.

Really nice photos as always!

What engine is in that thing? Nearly looks like the motor is in his lap.

Nobody noticed the spelling?? :frown2:
Where, wear, ware, were, we're... they're all interchangeable now. Makes things easier!

Grammar: The difference between knowing your s*** and knowing you're s***.

What engine is in that thing? Nearly looks like the motor is in his lap.

The N41475 uses HKS-700E, 56 hp. It is a 2-cylinder, 4-stroke engine, developed by HKS for aviation applications. I bought the airplane in a large part because I cannot deal with 2-stroke engines. The 4-stroke power came very handy when I ferried it from New York to Texas.

I think when Ernie Carlson designed the SS version of Sparrow, he meant Rotax 503 or 582 to power it. However, 2 out of 4 surviving Sparrow SS use HKS-700E. One has a 582 and one has 1/2 VW. IMHO, the 1/2 VW is not enough. It's on former Jim Steere's airplane that's very spartan: no electric system even. I don't remember for sure, but I think Jim even deleted wing tanks. My Carlson has the electric starter and a radio, as well as BRS, and also lifts 12 gallons of fuel and my 220 lbs persona comfortably.

Oh hey Pete, didn't know it was you! Didn't recognize you in the pictures.
Yeah, you're no shortie so I can imagine you fill the cockpit.
Would a leather helmet work better? Not as thick as motorcycle helmets and would sure help with the bumping on the tubes. And might be also lighter than a hard shell.
Nice to finally see your airplane!

I looked at options besides Gallet too, but the WWII style helmets were just as expensive. I got this for something like $180.

Nice as usual nice colors on the plane. The helmet needs a paint job.

Great photos as always, Jack. What a great little airplane, Pete.

Great first post, David. I hope you have great success with your enterprise.

Operative word here is "great." :thumbsup:

David posted an update to FB, which reads verbatim:

"I Need to get this clarified.
Team Mini-max LLC
Is a Separate company from Carlson Sparrow Aircraft, I am in partnership Scott & David we own the Carlson Sparrow Aircraft Company now"
FWIW

The plane in Jack's pictures is after the crash and complete rebuild to a better-than-new condition. It would not be possible if Ernie Carlson's widow, Mary, didn't continue to supply parts. We obtained factory spars, ribs, wing tanks, and struts that were used to build the new wings.

Mini-max has been around for a while and I hope for the best under the new ownership.

Last edited:
Jack, what was his cruise RPM on that engine? if he was running a different RPM than you are use to because of his engine, it will destroy your prop blur. you have your shutter speeds dialed in for 2200 to 2500 RPM that you see with lycomings and conts, but who knows what you need for a couple of hundred RPM difference.

Jack, what was his cruise RPM on that engine? if he was running a different RPM than you are use to because of his engine, it will destroy your prop blur. you have your shutter speeds dialed in for 2200 to 2500 RPM that you see with lycomings and conts, but who knows what you need for a couple of hundred RPM difference.
You can see the prop blur if you look close enough. It was simply a flat black plastic prop. Enough people commented in about this shoot that it made me turn down another shoot where the guy had a similar prop. Left a very bad taste in my mouth. I wasn't thrilled to see this thread revived!!

If I knew it would be a problem, I could've added a white or silver tape for prop tips.

The cruise speed of the prop is 2248 rpm (5800 rpm at the crank with 1:2.58 reduction).

Back