Garmin Pilot for Android -- Tech Support, Tips, Tricks

Here's a new direction for this thread: Smart watches.

With the plethora of Smart Watches flooding the market, has anyone used one with Garmin Pilot? I'm looking at the Samsung Gear S2, which is (so far) the only smart watch I've seen with almost 100% positive reviews. It's also the only Smart Watch that, in the 3G version, doesn't need to be tethered to a cell phone to work.

Here are some of the things the S2 can do in the cockpit, right out of the box:

- Alarms. I have one set in GP that goes off every 30 minutes to remind me to change tanks, and this alarm would vibrate on the watch. (Via Bluetooth)

- GPS. The S2 has a built in GPS, and uses something called the "HERE Navigator". This is for road use, but could obviously serve as a back-up to GP.

- It's a phone. With the cellular version, you can leave your phone home, cuz it's on your wrist. You can make and receive texts and calls, although it has the same limitations as your cell phone WRT operating in the air.

Down the road, these things seem to have great potential. Personally, I am looking forward to the day when we can look back at carrying a separate cell phone around as "quaint".

Anyone got one?

How do the subscriptions differ between IOS and Android? Checking the latest versions of the apps I see "U.S. Standard" with "Garmin Worldwide Navigation Data" on IOS vs. "Garmin Pilot" with "U.S. Navigation Data" on Android as the base subscriptions. The Android version also has no in-app links to purchase Canada, Global or Jeppeson North America NavData.

Do any of these other subscriptions work on Android if purchased through an iPad or online, or is the Android version absolutely useless outside of the US? I've tried the demo and like the subscription info says, it's US only.

Can anyone with the paid base subscriptions on both sytems do me a favor and check for canadian airspace and airports? I don't care about charts or anything else, just the vector/dynamic info. Thanks all.

Good point. I fly to Canada many times a year, and would love to have it working there. At the moment, it's missing all Canadian airports, even the ones right next to the border. What I do is to set up user waypoints for my needed airports and fixes there, but that's very limited and ugly. Not sure where to pay to get that coverage -- my GTN-750 subscription from the same company covers North America with Canada definitely included.

Good point. I fly to Canada many times a year, and would love to have it working there. At the moment, it's missing all Canadian airports, even the ones right next to the border. What I do is to set up user waypoints for my needed airports and fixes there, but that's very limited and ugly. Not sure where to pay to get that coverage -- my GTN-750 subscription from the same company covers North America with Canada definitely included.
There's the rub, you can buy a Canada subscription from the Garmin website for $129 that includes charts and everything, but it's not an in-app purchase in android, only IOS. But will it work? With the worldwide/US difference in the base subscription, I'm curious if the android version is crippled not only in features but databases as well. Hopefully it's just a typo or oversight at Garmin. We need someone with an ipad to check basic canada coverage with a US subscription.

There's the rub, you can buy a Canada subscription from the Garmin website for $129 that includes charts and everything, but it's not an in-app purchase in android, only IOS. But will it work? With the worldwide/US difference in the base subscription, I'm curious if the android version is crippled not only in features but databases as well. Hopefully it's just a typo or oversight at Garmin. We need someone with an ipad to check basic canada coverage with a US subscription.

I'd call Garmin tech support and ask: 1-866-739-5687

Here's a new direction for this thread: Smart watches.

With the plethora of Smart Watches flooding the market, has anyone used one with Garmin Pilot? I'm looking at the Samsung Gear S2, which is (so far) the only smart watch I've seen with almost 100% positive reviews. It's also the only Smart Watch that, in the 3G version, doesn't need to be tethered to a cell phone to work.

Here are some of the things the S2 can do in the cockpit, right out of the box:

- Alarms. I have one set in GP that goes off every 30 minutes to remind me to change tanks, and this alarm would vibrate on the watch. (Via Bluetooth)

- GPS. The S2 has a built in GPS, and uses something called the "HERE Navigator". This is for road use, but could obviously serve as a back-up to GP.

- It's a phone. With the cellular version, you can leave your phone home, cuz it's on your wrist. You can make and receive texts and calls, although it has the same limitations as your cell phone WRT operating in the air.

Down the road, these things seem to have great potential. Personally, I am looking forward to the day when we can look back at carrying a separate cell phone around as "quaint".

Anyone got one?
I have a moto360. Haven't found many decent aviation watch apps yet. GP doesn't have a watch app yet, either. I asked the MFB guy about and Android watch app, but he effectively said it wasn't in the cards since most of his market share is apple.

Taking 1st Place in the "glutton for punishment" category, today I managed to visit the two worst stores for customer service on Earth -- Best Buy and Verizon!

Why? Because I wanted to look at and experience the Samsung Gear S2 -- the first smart watch that doesn't require a tether to a smart phone.

The gal at Best Buy wasn't unpleasant, but it quickly became obvious that this "Samsung Expert" knew less about the S2 than I did after reading stuff on the internet. When she didn't know if it had a built-in speaker or not, I knew it was time to leave.

Verizon was it's usual disaster. They take your name at the door, and never, ever wait on you. Worse, their Smartphones were under glass, and they would not let me even touch them without a Verizon rep -- even when i asked. Because, you know, the $3600 per year I have spent with them annually since 1992 isn't enough for them to trust me.

After 30 minutes we walked out.

And that, boys and girls, is why we buy things on-line. When those stores ultimately fail, feel no pity for them.

I guess I'll just have to wait it out.
Dear Marcus Hendrickson,

Thank you for contacting Garmin International. I have checked into the issue that you have described, and there is not currently a way to do what you are requesting. They recently rewrote the app for Android to take advantage of the features of the Android operating system and during the transition some features have disappeared. They are working on getting features added back in, and I have passed the fact that this feature is not available on Android phones to our developers. You are correct that you can still do this on the Android tablets. Hopefully, that will be available on the phones soon.

Best Regards,

Derek
Garmin Aviation Support

The top 2 are my android phone and the bottom 2 are my android tablet.
I just can not find a way to activate flight planning to the flight plan/map on my phone

This tripped me up for a little too. Hit the minus sign in the upper right hand corner. That will give you a pop up menu to file your plan with duats or Lockheed. Also Garmin said via email the Lockheed / icao is still buggy (atc had trouble finding my Lockheed icao plan I filed for a short ifr trip last week) so switch it to Lockheed / faa domestic or csc duats for domestic flight plans.

Hope that helps.

Last edited:
This tripped me up for a little too. Hit the minus sign in the upper right hand corner. That will give you a pop up menu to file your plan with duats or Lockheed. Also Garmin said via email the Lockheed / icao is still buggy (atc had trouble finding my Lockheed icao plan I filed for a short ifr trip last week) so switch it to Lockheed / faa domestic or csc duats for domestic flight plans.

Hope that helps.

According to the FAA, ICAO flight plans are mandatory if you file for RNAV routing or approaches, so switching to domestic is not an option if you have and are using RNAV. I have stopped using GP for flight planning and filing until this issue is resolved (I also fly international, where ICAO is also mandatory, RNAV or not).

I'd call Garmin tech support and ask: 1-866-739-5687
Finally had time to call after I purchased Canadian Premium from the Garmin website. The website said buy the subscription, download the app from apple or google play, login to your account.

Garmin Pilot for Android does not support any subscriptions outside the US. I would expect that includes the US Jepp add-on. US Base, US VFR and US IFR are it. Just what it offers in the app. Doesn't matter if you bought it directly from Garmin. The databases are not compatible. They didn't even have any idea when support would be added. :mad2:

Feature parity can be excused. I can see SV and the like taking time to program and debug. The database support cannot be excused. It's not like airports, airspace or terrain look different on either side of the border. Every portable or panel mount has done this since the beginning. With vector mapping having been added a while back, there's no reason other than they don't take android seriously.

So ends my foray into the world of android toys. Off to buy an iPad with proper support.

Finally had time to call after I purchased Canadian Premium from the Garmin website. The website said buy the subscription, download the app from apple or google play, login to your account.

Garmin Pilot for Android does not support any subscriptions outside the US. I would expect that includes the US Jepp add-on. US Base, US VFR and US IFR are it. Just what it offers in the app. Doesn't matter if you bought it directly from Garmin. The databases are not compatible. They didn't even have any idea when support would be added. :mad2:

Feature parity can be excused. I can see SV and the like taking time to program and debug. The database support cannot be excused. It's not like airports, airspace or terrain look different on either side of the border. Every portable or panel mount has done this since the beginning. With vector mapping having been added a while back, there's no reason other than they don't take android seriously.

So ends my foray into the world of android toys. Off to buy an iPad with proper support.

I feel your pain, and don't blame you for throwing the towel. As someone who flies a lot between the US and Canada, and who has to resort to kludgy/messy user waypoints north of the border, I know exactly what you mean. I fully agree that converting the database format should be a breeze (I do related work for a living), so really no technical excuse, unless somehow politically/business motivated (some secret agreement with Apple?).

---

In unrelated Garmin Pilot Android news, I noted above that my GPA stopped showing traffic/weather. The prime suspect was the GDL-39, and its antenna was a sub-suspect (I did re-seat it many times to no avail and it seems OK visually). Bottom line is that Garmin sent me a new antenna to try, and lo and behold, it works! I now have all the normal overhead traffic at home, and hope test flying will confirm that UAT is back too.
The important takeaway is that the GDL-39 antenna may be prone to wear, very likely in its folding hinge, and therefore should probably not be folded/unfolded regularly, unless Garmin insists otherwise. (I folded/unfolded mine once per flight, to mount it on the glare shield, but will stop doing that now.)
I should put a plug in for Garmin tech support -- the person I spoke and emailed with was extremely nice and helpful. So definitely a big plus there.

A sad, frustrating tale.

It's amazing how Android continues to kick ass everywhere except aviation. I guess we really are just too small a market to bother with... :(

I'll be anxious to hear how your ipad adventure goes and if (dare I say it) you decide to stay with gp (GASP!)

I'll be anxious to hear how your ipad adventure goes and if (dare I say it) you decide to stay with gp (GASP!)

so would I. I've bought an ipad for flying, I've tried foreflight (doesn't seem super intuitive to me). WX seemed worse. GP seemed to "think" the way I "think", but i'm not sure which to commit to yet. I guess I'll try a few CC's with each and see.

Recently bought a GLO, used the subscription code in the box, created an account through the Garmin Pilot app and subscription isn't seeming to work, as in suuposed to get Safe Taxi, weather, geo reference charts, etc, etc and it still asking me to buy subscriptions for all of that stuff.

Also, cannot get the GLO to connect, per the Connext page in the Garmin Pilot app, tried downloading Bluetooth GPS from Play store and that app says its connected....

ugh...

EDIT - Several updates and restarts later everything seems to be working.

Last edited:
OK, finally got to play around with Garmin Pilot for the first time today on my Nexus 7.

I searched this thread but didn't find what I was looking for -

• How do I prevent the screen from blacking out ?
  • What is the easiest way to pull up an Instrument Plate ?
  • Is putting plates into a binder and opening the binder every time the only way ?
thanks, as I said i tried to search but guess my fu is off....

OK, finally got to play around with Garmin Pilot for the first time today on my Nexus 7.

• Is putting plates into a binder and opening the binder every time the only way ?

1. Hit the 'home' button. Settings. General. 'Keep screen on' auto- will keep it on when gps detects an airspeed>40. On, off (both self explanatory)
2/3. Easiest way I know is to create a binder for the aiport(s) you frequent most.
GP will create it's own binder if you put one or more airport into the 'flight plan'.
You can also access charts via the search bar up at the top of the 'charts', or by going to the 'airport info' and selecting your airport and then going to 'procedures' tab.

*I will say I am using a dated (version 4.2.3) version because my tablet is older and android will not update further so somethings might have changed.

In GPA 5.0.2+, it's all about left-to-right swipes.
So to get the screen to stay on, you swipe to get Settings -> General -> Keep Screen On -> On.
To pull up a plate, there are many ways, depending on where you are.
If you have declared a flight plan (very easy with swipe Flight Plan, type in your From and To), the bottom half of your screen in split screen will let you choose the procedures for your origin and destination.
If you are in mapping mode, click on the airport you want to get the radial ring, click on the airport symbol, 'Info' icon -> Procedures -> and select your procedure.
Another quick way from virtually any screen for any airport, swipe, Airport Info, click on the top left airport ID (if it's not the one you want), search for the airport you want (or type its ID), Procedures, select the one you want.
The answer to your last question is NO, per above, there are much easier/quicker ways.

Thank ya'll very much. I have version 4.3.5 right now, checking for updates.

I don't see where from the tapping on the airport there is no Airport Info button unless I scroll all the way down. I am updating GP as we speak however.

I feel silly I didn't find the General tab earlier.

Is there a way to load templates for aircraft instead of loading all the information manually ?

Thanks all, will report back after update software see if I can figure out easy way to load plates. :)

v5.02 installed now, a little easier to get around, thanks all.

Last edited:
Release 5.0.3 out; both my devices got auto-updated OTA.
Not sure about the other issues, but the one I had reported to them that bricks the app (i.e. irreversibly crashes unless you re-install from scratch) if you set a high speed in demo mode is still there. :(

Here is what Digital Cyclone (the Garmin contractor for GP) says about it:

Version 5.0.3
- Fixed crashes when using external SD cards.
- For handsets, tap the header on the map to edit the flight plan.
- Handset Flight Plan page now works similar to the tablet version and has a summary section with an option to import the flight plan into the Trip Planning page.
- Fixed other crashes and stability issues.
See our release notes in Settings, General.

I've installed and tried it, and it seems harmless. No obvious bugs.

Flew with it at night for the first time last night, had the night mode set to auto, seemed way too bright, set the brightness level as low as it will go, still too bright. did i miss a setting somewhere ?

I'll have to play with it to remember. I don't think night mode does anything if you are displaying a sectional. You need to be in one of the other map modes and it switches to a dark background.

You might also need to turn down the screen brightness from your device settings, wherever they are.

Ok I did have it on a Sectional, I did unselect Auto and put it into Night. I did not think to check the Tablet's brightness settings.

Will try again tonight.

A while ago I got this free app which I use as backup, whenever Garmin Pilot or any other app runs too bright at night. Seems to work OK.

A while ago I got this free app which I use as backup, whenever Garmin Pilot or any other app runs too bright at night. Seems to work OK.

Thanks, I just installed it, we'll see how it goes.

Now I just got to figure out how to blacken the lights on the Garmin GLO.... I turned it around so that i could see the reflection in the window but it kind of lit up the windshield. It was pretty dark last night though. I've been having trouble with the alternator on the rental so I didn't do long night cross country I had planned. Stayed at home and tried landing with the landing light off just in case my battery did die. Didn't break anything !!!

Ok I did have it on a Sectional, I did unselect Auto and put it into Night. I did not think to check the Tablet's brightness settings.

Will try again tonight.

The tablet's brightness setting will help. In daytime I have to crank it up high on my Nexus even though I have it set to auto. Then at night, it doesn't switch down far enough and I have to nudge it a bit.

I'll attach a couple images as soon as I can do a screen capture.

Just installed GP onto a new Note5 with no big problems to report. The subscription logged in and deactivated on the S5 and activated and updated like it should in the new note.

I've only been desk flying it a couple days, but so far no squawks.

Just installed GP onto a new Note5 with no big problems to report. The subscription logged in and deactivated on the S5 and activated and updated like it should in the new note.

I've only been desk flying it a couple days, but so far no squawks.

Just so you know (not sure if relevant in your case), you can legally operate two devices (at least, not sure of the maximum) on a single subscription. So one could serve as a backup of the other, for example, and both can connect simultaneously via Bluetooth to the GDL-39 if you have one. In my case I have one device mounted on each yoke, both getting an ADS-B feed from the GDL-39, all on a single subscription.

Just so you know (not sure if relevant in your case), you can legally operate two devices (at least, not sure of the maximum) on a single subscription. So one could serve as a backup of the other, for example, and both can connect simultaneously via Bluetooth to the GDL-39 if you have one. In my case I have one device mounted on each yoke, both getting an ADS-B feed from the GDL-39, all on a single subscription.

Affirmative, I have GP running on the Note and a mini ipad on the same subscription.

All I need now is a GDL 3D with AHRS to get the synvision on the ipad.

Here's a night mode before/after:

What map level do you have selected for that ? My Low Altitude looks like that, but as you mentioned earlier the Sectional did not. Is there anyway for the Sectional to look that way.

Did not get a chance to check it out last night, alternator finally took a poop.

What map level do you have selected for that ? My Low Altitude looks like that, but as you mentioned earlier the Sectional did not. Is there anyway for the Sectional to look that way.

Did not get a chance to check it out last night, alternator finally took a poop.

You have to select anything in the "maps" column. Sectionals and anything in the "charts" do not work that way.

New update is going through staged rollout. Since I have no trips planned this week, I installed it. It appears not to be harmful, and some of the changes may even be improvements. I'd advise installing it when you get it.

I've just installed it (version 5.1.0), and what do you know, the demo bug (that would brick your demo mode if you selected an excessive ground speed) is finally fixed!
Otherwise, no noticeable differences, though I understand it's supposed to support the new Garmin GTX 345.

I flew with version 5.1 for about 3 hours today while doing practice approaches. I mostly used it for displaying approach plates, but it worked fine. I do like the improvements they've been making in version 5+ with the airport information pages. I find the new layout much easier to use.

The new flight planning altitude selector in 5.1 is neat, as is the "flight minimums" flag and alternate airport selector. Pre-flight planning is the weak feature in GP in my opinion, so it's nice to see some improvement there.

Since version 5 I've been having trouble with GP crashing if I edited the flight plan in flight, which is a pretty serious problem. I didn't take time to test that in the air today, but I haven't been able to reproduce it on the ground this evening, so it looks like that may be fixed in 5.1.

Lee

Back