Flight Bag You Actually Use

iamtheari

Administrator
Management Council Member
Display Name

Display name:
Ari
Probably 90% of us got gung-ho early in our training and bought a flight bag of some sort or another. Something to carry a headset, handheld radio, iPad, VFR and IFR charts, A/FD and TPP, E6B in both whiz-wheel and electronic form, a handful of plotters, foggles, flashlight, sunglasses, extra batteries, notepad, pulse oximeter, Stratus, vomit bags, full change of clothes and shaving kit, logbook, first aid kit, snowshoes, the kitchen sink, and some ballast just to make sure you can't try to carry any passengers without going over gross. And then we all end up leaving that behind and just carrying an iPad and headset to the plane when we actually fly. And then we run into times when we wish we had something else that we had left back at the hangar, be it a cell phone charger or a change of underwear for an unplanned overnight diversion or a paper chart when the iPad stops working.

Who here has a flight bag that they actually use and like that will carry the things you use on 100% of flights and store the things you might 100% need on 1% of flights, without being disorganized or the wrong size? I made a list of my stuff in 4 categories: in use during flight, handy during flight to use regularly, handy during flight for emergencies, and only used on the ground when spending the night somewhere unplanned or getting ramp checked. Then I ran out of steam before shopping for a bag.

I use a military helmet bag.

I use a military helmet bag.
That's what I used for years. Works very well. I finally went and got a Brightline flight bag recently when I started doing ferry pilot work to carry all the miscellaneous stuff I bring along.

I have one of the original Brightlines... The "stuff" is all in it, but it often stays in the car, if all I need out of it is a headset and an iPad.

I have a custom-made bucket shaped bag like the tool bags you see but with two rows of exterior pockets sized for "pilot stuff." I started with the standard canvas tool bags but the pockets were mostly not useful sizes. So I found a lady in Colorado who makes custom packs and she made a bucket to my specs. Anything worth doing is worth overdoing.

I only carry the bucket when I'm PIC. Otherwise I'll typically pull out sunglasses, kneeboard, and my Clarity Aloft headset. For no-PIC longer trips I'll often grab the PLB as well.

I have one.... it normally contains my ipad, logbook & medical, spare headset batteries, charging cables for iphone/ipad, a power bank charger, pens, a small notepad, a flashlight, beef jerky, antacid, and a change of socks and underwear. With all that there's room left for a pair of shorts and a shirt or some other stuff on a planned overnight.

I really could do without that whole bag but it's got everything in it and it's just as easy to grab and go.

I also have an aluminum case I keep in the plane. It contains the POH/weight and balance/maintenance logs, ratchet straps for tie-down, fuel tester, fuel level dipstick, rags, screwdrivers, pliers, tire gauge, an ice pick, a hammer, extra airsick bags, and a quart of oil. Both the oil and documents are kept in separate zip-lock bags in case of leakage.

The CFI with whom I did my discovery flight suggested I use a backpack because it's easier to wear it in case I ever land out and need to hike to civilization. Another CFI suggested using an insulated lunchbox instead of buying a headset bag. A couple trips to Goodwill and I was all set.

airplane-lunch-box.png

Here's mine. It lives on the backseat with the shoujder strap around it to hild it down. Pens, pencil, highlighters, flashlight, handheld radio, etc , all live there.

On long solo XC, I move it to the right seat and zip it open, it makes a decent "desk" for putting stuff (snacks, glasses case, etc ). Wish I could remember the brand . . .

2011-12-13_18-03-48_71.jpg

I got lucky...I did my PPL training at the airport that had Pilotmall.com on the field which was dangerous cuz I could just walk in and touchy feely everything and discover things that I didn't even know I needed!

I started out with some POS bag but was able to dial in exactly what I needed by the end of training and still is perfect size years later.

My plane is still stuck on a ramp...(only 3 ahead of me on the wait list! whoo hoo!)...so I still have to flight bag it mainly for theft protection each flight. My bag is below and is perfect size for the way I use it. I carry my headset, one PAX headset, kneeboard, Ipad, Stratus and handheld radio. Side pockets have my paper logbook where I keep PPL and Medical and other side had backup paper IFR plates. Small front pocket has a coin pouch with a few buck in quarters for FBO vending machines (I do a lot of XC trips), Advil, Tumms, spare WASS card,a handfull of pens then key clip to the outside.

Looking forward to no longer schlepping that when I finally get the hangar!

11555_8167_large.jpg

https://www.pilotmall.com/product/Noral-Mach-1-Flight-Bag/noral

Last edited:
I have one of the original Brightlines... The "stuff" is all in it, but it often stays in the car, if all I need out of it is a headset and an iPad.

By the way I didn't have time to mention earlier to mention Brightline as a company blows and the next bag when this one implodes will just be whatever works from the local thrift store or if I'm splurging, something from LL Bean.

They changed their design early on after using js early customers as testers essentially, and when mine started having zipper issues the answer was "we don't support the old bags anymore, you can buy a new one". This was said in person, to my face at their vendor booth at OSH.

Considering the company started with social media as their only early advertising and word of mouth, and they got plenty of that from me, including re-sharing their early videos to hundreds of the podcast listeners, they really should have taken better care of early customers for the price of the things.

I've gotten decent use out of it even with the problems, but I wouldn't care if they went out of business tomorrow. For me, they essentially already did. I wouldn't send them another thin dime.

Just wanted to make it clear I don't endorse them at ALL.

Probably 90% of us got gung-ho early in our training and bought a flight bag of some sort or another. Something to carry a headset, handheld radio, iPad, VFR and IFR charts, A/FD and TPP, E6B in both whiz-wheel and electronic form, a handful of plotters, foggles, flashlight, sunglasses, extra batteries, notepad, pulse oximeter, Stratus, vomit bags, full change of clothes and shaving kit, logbook, first aid kit, snowshoes, the kitchen sink, and some ballast just to make sure you can't try to carry any passengers without going over gross. And then we all end up leaving that behind and just carrying an iPad and headset to the plane when we actually fly. And then we run into times when we wish we had something else that we had left back at the hangar, be it a cell phone charger or a change of underwear for an unplanned overnight diversion or a paper chart when the iPad stops working.

Who here has a flight bag that they actually use and like that will carry the things you use on 100% of flights and store the things you might 100% need on 1% of flights, without being disorganized or the wrong size? I made a list of my stuff in 4 categories: in use during flight, handy during flight to use regularly, handy during flight for emergencies, and only used on the ground when spending the night somewhere unplanned or getting ramp checked. Then I ran out of steam before shopping for a bag.
you are so right. my first bag was a present to me after my first solo and it was chock full o'stuff. stuff i didn't need and likely wouldn't use. so i downsized to a Flight Outfitters Lift bag. it carries the stuff i use or am likely to use. and it's about 1/4 the size of my first bag.
http://www.flightoutfitters.com/lift

Last edited:
My first flight bag was a "Crosswind" from Sporty's. I still use it by default. It's a good flight bag for bringing the kitchen sink, but I'm really trying to get away from that. I have looked at the Flight Outfitters "Lift" bag and I'm happy to hear a review of it. It looks like a pretty good one with plenty of organization, although the headset pocket is oversized for my Clarity Aloft and I think the "chart pocket" is too small to have more than a couple sectionals and an IFR en route chart. To be honest if my iPad craps out the most likely chart I'll need is my out of date but better than nothing TPP book with the approach plates. Probably I'm making a mistake by thinking about a bag with a place to carry that, but that's the one thing I imagine needing to find while in the air with a dead iPad, probably in the clouds at night.

I am a fan of Tom Bihn bags, although I only own one of their full-size products. I use the "Co-Pilot" bag as an iPad briefcase. I even managed an overnight work trip with that as my sole bag, but that was a bit extreme and not to be repeated. I should probably try using it as a flight bag or maybe try another of their products. They seem like a good company in many ways. (E.g., sick of seeing "Made in China" printed in English on so many products, they print "Made in America" in Chinese on their tags.) They're certainly not cheap, though.

Flight bag is an interesting concept, it is mostly for non-owner pilots. In my own airplane I have everything already in there. When I go to work I use a Brightline Bag. I like the Brightline because it prevents what I call the "purse effect" - Wherein your rooting around for a small item inside a large compartment. Kind of like when you're enduring the excruciating amount of time it takes your wife to find her keys in her purse.

We're a bit different :) We have been using the largest size laptop case from Case Logic. The main advantage is that it fits nicely (and upright!) between the front seats in the 182. We slide it forward for our daughter to get in/out the back seats. Then we slide it back again during flight. We can easily reach in the outer and first inner side pockets to grab a sectional, flashlights, etc. Although we own the plane, we still carry this case in case of theft, cold, etc. And we can somehow fit all the following inside:

Main Compartment (where a laptop would go)
- (4) Headsets
- Backup Handheld + headset adapter + battery tray
- (3) red finger lights (clip on headset for map/instruments at night)
- CO monitor
- Garmin GLO
- Touchscreen gloves (when its cold)

Large Side Pocket
- iPad Mini
- Galaxy 8.4"
- 2 Sectionals
- 2 Airport Guides (MN,WI)
- 2 LED Flashlights
- Notepad + pencils

Small Side Pocket
- Copy of POH (sticking out)

When we get to the plane, the headsets, tablets, GLO and CO monitor come out and get installed. We then throw phones, keys, tablet covers, etc back in that compartment.

Nice to carry just one thing to the plane and back.

We leave tools, jumper cables, oil, etc in the plane at all times.

I usually use the plastic bag you get at Walmart when you buy something.

I got one of those Sporty's gym bag style pilot bags as a gift back in the 90's after ppl. I still have it and for the years I wasn't using it, it was a good overnight/weekend bag. Picked up a nice brightline setup a couple years ago and have Zulu2, ipad, log, foggles, handheld, pens, timer, clips, PLB, spare glasses, batteries, etc all in easy to get to pockets. Nice to just grab one bag and know its in there when you head to the field.

I got a free flight bag from AOPA which worked for a headset and logbook, but I quickly ran out of room. Plus it got disorganized pretty quickly with just a main pocket and a front pocket. I just picked up an inexpensive backpack with USB port (you plug in a power source on the other side) that seems like it will work just fine as a flight bag.

https://www.amazon.com/Mancro-Busin...85326454&sr=8-2&keywords=mancro+backpack+grey

From Duluth Trading:
IMG_0354.JPG
...they used to make it in canvas, now just leather. Perfect size for iPab mini, phone, knee board, cables, pens, note pads, Halo headset, batteries, dog knows what else has found its way into mine.

Attachments

• IMG_0354.JPG
    IMG_0354.JPG
    64 KB · Views: 84
I have I think it's called the B4 Brightline bag. I don't always use it but if I'm going to do a XC flight I typically carry it and shove some things in it. I use it mainly as an oversized headphone bag.

I had a big bag during flight training but now I go to my plane with my handheld, tablet and stratux (all charged up) and my survival kit. I have a pair of tinted safety glasses in the plane so I leave my sun glasses in the car.

I've had the Brightline B4 and am not very impressed. The zipper issue that Denver spoke about is an issue with mine as well. The zipper for the headset compartment is wonky and impossible to close all the way. I do like all the little pockets so everything has it's place but I often forget where I put things and have to dig around until I find it. All I need is something to hold my iPad, flashlights, pens, paper, maps and my gun; everything else stays in the plane. That Duluth bag looks interesting.

I don't use one, headset and my iPad/notepad with pen, my medical and certs live in my wallet, not enough to warrant a flight bag.

Now I do have one, but shy of flying a nordo J3 across the country I wouldn't bother with it.

it's got a handheld navcom, flash light, leatherman, ruler and special protractor, batteries, headset adapter, Ti 83, pistol sometimes, couple other things,

the bag I use is a maratac, costs a about 40 bucks with shipping with my Velcro name tag too, built WAAY better than most high end aviation bags, for sure way stronger, great radio and water bottle pouches, flashlight and pen easy access pockets, super huge tuff YKK zippers.

la-police-gear-tactical-bail-out-gear-bag-best-seller-8.gif

la-police-gear-tactical-bail-out-gear-bag-best-seller-18.gif

http://www.lapolicegear.com/tabaoutbag.html

Last edited:
When I started my flight training years back I signed up for the Gleim training package, along with all the reading material came a flight bag.
I've kind of outgrown it now and should really look for something else to haul my junk, but its like a pair of old pants, I'm reluctant to let it go...

Here's mine. It lives on the backseat with the shoujder strap around it to hild it down. Pens, pencil, highlighters, flashlight, handheld radio, etc , all live there.
On long solo XC, I move it to the right seat and zip it open, it makes a decent "desk" for putting stuff (snacks, glasses case, etc ). Wish I could remember the brand .

It's the Sky High Gear Voyager Flight Attache, had one, loved it.

Once I made the plane purchase and had a hangar I switched to the Sportys Headset Bag. This carried my iPad 1 and the few extras needed; LED flashlight, hand held, pens, paper, spare batteries, water bottle knife ,lighter and so on.
flight+bag+3a.jpg

When I switched to the iPad mini 3 I went to a very small case, large enough to carry the iPad 1 (for back up) and the mini 3. flashlights and handheld stay in the plane or on the charger in the hangar.

I've been using a brightline bag from when I was working on my commercial rating, till now when I fly my airplane. Love it. You can customize it out or change modules if you ever find you have a different need. At work I use the Aerocoast Pro EFB 2

I just use a non aviation specific Targus backpack. Works just fine.

What one needs will vary though based upon if you own your own plane or not and whether you have it in a hangar. If you can leave your headsets, portable GPS, kneeboard, etc. either in the plane or hangar, you need a much smaller bag.

Back