Flight Bag You Actually Use

Puzzles keep the mind of an old man sharp... Actually some of those zippers are to hold the different sections together...The bag is modular...that is the whole bag put together...you can break it down to nothing more than a headset bag with a couple of compartments... it's actually pretty cool...

Looks very cool, but I use a $50 Eddie Bauer backpack, and it also has too many pockets. I know because it usually takes me at least 3 tries fumbling around to find where I put the spare Duracells when my DC headset ANR shuts down inflight. o_O:D

Here's the ultimate flight bag. Triple Aught Design's Fast Pack Litespeed. Perfect size and features for aviation and it's also an awesome backpack for other stuff. Downside: price. ($245)

0f5ad0c0eaf43a3f7895a46e4bbddd4c.jpg

I've coveted one of these for awhile. I have the larger model, the EDC. Hard to justify yet another backpack purchase. I have a pack fetish - I own about a half dozen. Heh.

Attachments

• 231A6864-B12D-4DF8-AD17-80CD4B172989-561-0000009D7F8C8CBE_tmp.jpg
    231A6864-B12D-4DF8-AD17-80CD4B172989-561-0000009D7F8C8CBE_tmp.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 18
Looks very cool, but I use a $50 Eddie Bauer backpack, and it also has too many pockets. I know because it usually takes me at least 3 tries fumbling around to find where I put the spare Duracells when my DC headset ANR shuts down inflight. o_O:D
49c76ea23205216934ad7953166a576b.jpg

This beauty is 12 years old. It has been to six other countries with me.

I got mine as a promotional gift but instead of the glass breaker it has a "DNA catcher" and handcuff key inside. The rubber cover keeps falling off and catching my DNA so I leave it at home. Someday I may need the handcuff key and regret I left it.

Ordered the glass breaker one :)

49c76ea23205216934ad7953166a576b.jpg

This beauty is 12 years old. It has been to six other countries with me.

I just "retired" the Eddie Bauer day pack I bought in 1981. It too has been all over the world with me, on planes, hiking, travelling, sailing and more. The main compartment zipper finally failed a couple of months ago and I reluctantly decided a new Bauer made more sense than the cost repairing it.

I just "retired" the Eddie Bauer day pack I bought in 1981. It too has been all over the world with me, on planes, hiking, travelling, sailing and more. The main compartment zipper finally failed a couple of months ago and I reluctantly decided a new Bauer made more sense than the cost repairing it.

My main zipper failed a year ago so in my typical fashion, I ripped the stitches and sewed in a new one. Cost me about six dollars.

It's nice to have a backpack you've kept for a LONG time. I'm sure you have lots of fond memories with pack you had to part with.

Puzzles keep the mind of an old man sharp... Actually some of those zippers are to hold the different sections together...The bag is modular...that is the whole bag put together...you can break it down to nothing more than a headset bag with a couple of compartments... it's actually pretty cool...
...and those zippered sections are usable for thinner items. It's where my tablet and some paper items travel.

And it's surprisingly easy to take apart and put together. The winter lining in my rain jacket is more difficult.

After spending too much time reading about flight bags on threads like these, I ordered the LAPG bag (http://www.lapolicegear.com/tabaoutbag.html).

I have to say, I'm super happy with it. At least for a VFR pilot, it fits everything I need for a flight, and seems like good quality that will last.

Here's what is in my bag for now:
* Standard size water bottle (bag could easily fit a 20oz or possibly larger) - snug on one end.
* Full size, 10+ year old ICOM handheld radio. Snug / held in place on the other end.
* Large glasses case (backup in case my contacts ever have an issue)
* Fly Boys kneeboard (small compared with most kneeboards). Stored in the hidden/flat pouch they advertise for guns.
* Two snack bars, two pens, post-it notes, small spiral notebook, headset adapter for handheld radio, flashlight. Still have one medium size pocket left.
* Main compartment: Lightspeed Sierras in their compact case. Sectional chart. Checkmate checklist. Mini clipboard to write on (I usually bring navlogs / notes on this).
IMG_4766.JPGIMG_4767.JPG IMG_4768.JPG
All of this gear fit clumsily in my larger, original Jeppesen student bag. So happy to switch to this.

My main zipper failed a year ago so in my typical fashion, I ripped the stitches and sewed in a new one. Cost me about six dollars.

It's nice to have a backpack you've kept for a LONG time. I'm sure you have lots of fond memories with pack you had to part with.

Well, I didn't discard it as I will probably break down and get it repaired. I don't have the tools or knowledge to do that properly but found a place in the city that can

I use a small handbag that wasn't even designed as a flightbag.

The scott-e-vest product line is actually pretty cool, and that photo is a demo model that shows where all the pockets are inside that particular jacket. But they started with vests obviously.

Problem is, they're spendy.

But it's a fascinating idea. One could cram all sorts of stuff in one of the vests and not have to carry a bag at all. Toss a little survival gear in there too if doing mountain stuff. That's been a tip around here for years... wear some essentials on your person. Usually folks recommend a much cheaper fishing vest for that though.

Partly inspired by this thread I went ahead and bought a LawPro bail out bag (identical to the LA Police Gear bag mentioned here) from Galls. 17$ and free shipping. Seems pretty solidly built and fits everything I carry with a bit of room to spare.

http://m.galls.com/lawpro-bail-out-bag

Attachments

• IMG_2819.JPG
    IMG_2819.JPG
    281.9 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_2817.JPG
    IMG_2817.JPG
    225.3 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_2822.JPG
    IMG_2822.JPG
    202.9 KB · Views: 65
Last edited:
Partly inspired by this thread I went ahead and bought a LawPro bail out bag (identical to the LA Police Gear bag mentioned here) from Galls. 17$ and free shipping. Seems pretty solidly built and fits everything I carry with a bit of room to spare.

Oh hell yes. Nice bag and great price. Looks like it's up to $19 and the final necessary zipper just busted off of my original defective designed Brightline POS.

Guess I'll be ordering one of these for the days when I need a ton of crap. It's this or a cheap backpack. Can literally throw this thing away if it has problems and nearly not care at $19.

But I'll probably try to make some zipper handles out of crap from the garage first for the Brightline v1 POS. The worse it looks, the better, so I can tell whoever asks what a crappy company they are to not support their oldest and earliest customers.

I'm pleased so far. My free AOPA headset bag just didn't have enough space, namely, it wouldn't fit a bottle of water.

The sky high gear voyager was nice but a lot of the features are irrelevant in my iPad-based world; still no water, and it seemed to fall over constantly. I think the new ones are slightly wider.

I couldn't discern any difference between the lawpro (from Galls) and the LAPG versions; but the similar Galls-brand "range bag" doesn't seem to have the external pen pockets.

I haven't seen a bag with a good place to carry my Camelbak water bottle. I prefer that to traditional bottles because I can drink from it without taking my eyes off of my flying or driving as the case may be. It has three disadvantages. No bag will carry it. My wife makes fun of my "baby bottle." And if I don't sip occasionally while climbing, I get a firehose blast of pressurized water the first time I bite the valve at 8,000 feet.

So my bag needs are basically carry an iPad to the plane and hold a ton of backup junk on the back seat in case it's needed. Water bottle just gets carried separately and left mostly on the copilot seat next to a big bag of beef jerky.

Sounds like the cheapo bags you guys are raving about would be pretty functional for my mission.

I haven't seen a bag with a good place to carry my Camelbak water bottle...

Saw a guy on another board who also prefers the Camelbak for hydration. He had a hard point installed on his roof and he hangs the bladder right behind the pilot seat on a carabinier. I thought it was pretty slick.

I've hung a camelback off of the seat a few times while towing (or flying somewhere to go riding). Works fine.

Saw a guy on another board who also prefers the Camelbak for hydration. He had a hard point installed on his roof and he hangs the bladder right behind the pilot seat on a carabinier. I thought it was pretty slick.

Good trick for a hydration bladder. I just have the hard plastic "Eddy" bottle with the bite valve and straw. (I also have a "Chute" bottle with just a big opening to drink from, but that requires head tilting.)

I bought a Jeppeson "student flight bag" and am not that happy with it. I have my student syllabus, maps, pilot log, charts in it, kneeboard (small) but i wear that when flying...but nothing "stands up" for easy access, it just kind of ends up not being organized but sliding down and halfway flat at the bottom, nit easy to find things. The side pockets are good (plastic barf bags, easy access)

Im thinking a backpack might be a better way to go. When i get my PPL I think either I or my wife (have to hint on this) will splurge on a good flight bag, and for sure I will be checking this thread then for ideas.

I see some now that might work out, but they are significantly better quality, and price, and as a lowly student I think showing up with a really nice bag would be like a guy that can barely make a few shots going into a pool hall and taking out his babushka custom pool cue, and shooting like Inspector Clouseau.

I have one of the original Brightlines... The "stuff" is all in it, but it often stays in the car, if all I need out of it is a headset and an iPad.

Ditto on Brightline. (Actually have TWO!) And ditto on often just schlepping my headset case and a small, neoprene iPad case that has:
-iPad
-Stratus
-Backup battery pack
-charging cable
-12v adapter
-Pilot Certificate wallet

The later gets dropped into my rolling flight bag I use when flying the airliner, which I'd never carry flying GA.

Here's mine. It lives on the backseat with the shoujder strap around it to hild it down. Pens, pencil, highlighters, flashlight, handheld radio, etc , all live there.

On long solo XC, I move it to the right seat and zip it open, it makes a decent "desk" for putting stuff (snacks, glasses case, etc ). Wish I could remember the brand . . .

View attachment 50878

What brand/model is that bag?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

My brain just exploded. This is brilliant! I will be doing this.

Great thread!! I own my plane but still have to carry my iPad and logbook and the open top sportys works great for 90% of my flights. I also have a B7 when I need to haul a lot. I want to try the flight outfitter lift bag when they get back in stock.

I'll also second the LAPG bag too for training. Works well

JW

Do you think an iPad will fit in the outside hidden pocket/location?

I recently switched to a Carhartt tool bag. It’s working quite well, without the Aviation price tag. The zippers are the largest zippers I’ve ever seen on any bag of any size. They won’t be going anywhere.

Do you think an iPad will fit in the outside hidden pocket/location?

A Mini does. Can’t speak to the fit of the larger tablets, but let me know if you’d like me to measure the pocket.

I looked at the LawPro and Galls Bail Out bags mentioned above. Very impressive. I don't need one but I'm tempted anyway! (the LawPro is down to $15.20 on the Galls site)

I bought a black Addidas backpack on sale for $20 when I started PPL. It holds everything I need, and I know precisely how much it weighs when everything I need is in it. There are probably a hundred bags that are better, but this one works fine for me. So far, it's been on every flight I've made.

I have a separate bag for a survival kit. A military type backpack with several pouches that can detach, and has a detachable butt-pack. The large bag has everything needed to treat injuries and survive for 3-5 days for 4 people. (Longer for 1-2) The butt-pack does the same, but for 2 people for 24 hours. (It has the ResQLink on it as well.) The big bag only comes along when flying over mountains or wide open terrain, where rescue might take some time. The small one comes on every flight. (It lives in the plane.)

I bought a black Addidas backpack on sale for $20 when I started PPL. It holds everything I need, and I know precisely how much it weighs when everything I need is in it. There are probably a hundred bags that are better, but this one works fine for me. So far, it's been on every flight I've made.

I have a separate bag for a survival kit. A military type backpack with several pouches that can detach, and has a detachable butt-pack. The large bag has everything needed to treat injuries and survive for 3-5 days for 4 people. (Longer for 1-2) The butt-pack does the same, but for 2 people for 24 hours. (It has the ResQLink on it as well.) The big bag only comes along when flying over mountains or wide open terrain, where rescue might take some time. The small one comes on every flight. (It lives in the plane.)
Which backpack did you choose for the survival kit? I have struggled to find a decent bag that has the detachable belt pack like that without getting deep into the $500 backpack aisle at REI.

My current bag is made by Igloo.
https://www.igloocoolers.com/collections/soft-coolers/soft-coolers-backpacks

It has outside pockets to carry my survival/first aid kit and I put a frozen water bottle along with a coconut water in the cooler portion. I also slip my tablet in with the bottles. My handheld stays in the car until I get to the airport and everything else stays in the plane.

The backpack hangs by the door to the garage and I take it everywhere I go. I grab it, go by the garage fridge and drop in the bottles and I'm off.

I'm way late to this thread but I just use a backpack. more than enough room and I can also stuff clothes in it if it's an overnighter. which is weird because usually an 'overnighter' means I'm not wearing any clothes.

I'm way late to this thread but I just use a backpack. more than enough room and I can also stuff clothes in it if it's an overnighter. which is weird because usually an 'overnighter' means I'm not wearing any clothes.
Far more information than we need.

Back