Flight Bag You Actually Use

When I started my flight training years back I signed up for the Gleim training package, along with all the reading material came a flight bag.
I've kind of outgrown it now and should really look for something else to haul my junk, but its like a pair of old pants, I'm reluctant to let it go...

Yup, same here. Works pretty well and I have a spare from my instrument training kit. Probably doing commercial so that will probably make 3...However that Copa back looks pretty nice, I might need to upgrade from my freebie.

Wow. They must be finally catching on! I use and have one too, plus a few spares. Didn't cost much either.
Only your dignity, which for most of us around here is a small enough price to pay.

Har har har

Actually a little more like this

brady-rule-600.jpg

I have three that I use regularly, depending on the mission.
1. A Dave Clark headset bag https://www.amazon.com/David-Clark-...2490&sr=8-1-fkmr0&keywords=dave+clark+headset
2. An ASA flight bag https://www.amazon.com/ASA-ASAs-Fli...d=1485372588&sr=8-15&keywords=asa++flight+bag
3. And a backpack from Sporty's, which they no longer sell. It's too bad because it's far and away better than anything they sell now.

If I need anything more than that I have my old Air Force MB-1 "go bag", or my Air Force duffel bag.

flight gear backpack for me. I like it because the unused pockets kinda collapse on each other so it's pretty compact if not real full... but I'm able to stuff a change of clothes and a headset easily if needed. 2 ipads and a handful of other "stuff". It works for me.

I have two. One just for headset and a few charts for short hops and X/C one with everything I might need. It's a medium sized duffle bag. In the beginning, it slumped and everything ended up in the middle. Then I raided my wife's Tupperware collection and found a rectangular tub that fit perfectly into the bag. It eliminates the slump and makes it easy to keep things organized.

Either my Hazard4 laptop bag (which goes with me on almost all of my trips) or a Triple Aught Design Fastpack EDC backpack. I haven't used a "for aviation" flight bag since 2000 or so. I prefer to find a bag which fits my needs and there's no need for it to be made for aviation.

I use a small duffle type bag with a few compartments that I got free somewhere years ago. Works fine.

A couple trips to Goodwill and I was all set.

great idea, not likely to be stolen!

I use a TractorSupply flexible toolbag.
Only thing I hate about it is that the interior is black.
CanNot see a damned thing in there especially in low light.
Getting a White interior next time.

how do you 'figure' that?
You guys and your tangents...

OP, I used a bright line while renting (awesome bag) but now that I own I don't have anything specific. Everything stays in the plane. But love the bright line

IMG_2460.JPG IMG_2458.JPG Don't use it all that much but has some old pubs and tools in it. Helmet bag from Airshowbuzz.

Ugh. So many nerdy bags. *gulp*

So what's the minimum amount of flair required on flight bags...Brad! ;)

Mine has one AF style patch with the wings which states: Not Yours

Instead of my name, I've put "not yours" on every thing I own that may be confused with someone else's since 1982.

I got a Brightline bag on eBay for a song. Love it. It also downsizes really nicely. Holds my GATS jar, leatherman, Dave Clarks, iPad/kneeboard combo, a couple sectionals, logbook, fuel stick, calculator, space blanket, water tabs, fire starter, flashlights, batteries, collapsable water bottle, and my hood.

That's just the main section, no larger than a (man) purse. I can zip on another section if I wanted to bring a firearm or paper IAPs or something stupid like that. Now I just need me a hh radio...

Enlighten me since I have no knowledge of the subject, how large IS a man purse? ;)

I like the bags from Mygoflight. They periodically will farm out the bags to other brand names and then they are cheaper.

I use a jepesen bag, it's just big enough to fit an iPad mini, headset, flashlight, paper maps and charts, my flight computer, a thermus of water in a sealed bag to prevent accidents, and some spare underwear.

I've gone back and forth through the years. Even bought bags from Sporty's and Brightline I ended up returning.

Funny thing is, 4-5 years after returning the Brightline I ended up buying one and I like it. I thought moving to an iPad would lessen my need for a "vertical market" bag, but as a club pilot, I found that the Brightline was the best way to handle accessories - mounts, backup batteries, chargers for overnight stays, just-in-case junk. I've tried minimizing - one bag for local flights or teaching and a second for trips - but always ended up discovering it was just easier to have a portable "flight office."

Aside from that, my second choice has always been a good general backpack.

Well that wins the most zippers award. I would have tag all those pockets to remember what the hell is where.

Puzzles keep the mind of an old man sharp... Actually some of those zippers are to hold the different sections together...The bag is modular...that is the whole bag put together...you can break it down to nothing more than a headset bag with a couple of compartments... it's actually pretty cool...

Har har har

Actually a little more like this

brady-rule-600.jpg
WTF?

Is that so you can draw flowcharts on your sectional?

My first flight bag was an old satchel I had lying around. Big enough for a headset and a full set of paper.

My second was something my CAP CO gave away. It's a little bigger, as it holds a small aluminum "desk" I need for observer work, but I couldn't tell you what it is.

You guys put WAY too much work into this. Well, except for the Walmart bags. Those are about right. Use what's around. It doesn't have to be an official "flight bag" and cost $100 to be useful.

The one thing I did buy as a student pilot was one of those stupid trifold kneeboards. It works, so I still use it to hold checklists and to copy clearances and weather reports (plus the obligatory CAP Hobbs/tach/time logs). But it's overkill, and I wouldn't buy it again.

Puzzles keep the mind of an old man sharp... Actually some of those zippers are to hold the different sections together...The bag is modular...that is the whole bag put together...you can break it down to nothing more than a headset bag with a couple of compartments... it's actually pretty cool...

Yeah but then you have to remember how to put it all back together again. :confused:

Back