Filing a NASA report

Archer Jack

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Jack
I have often seen a recommendation to file a NASA or ASRS report when there has been a rule violation, incident, etc. This can supposedly help to mitigate the severity of a possible FAA response. My question is how can the NASA report impact FAA responses since the NASA report is supposed to be confidential and is not shared with the FAA?

The reporter gets a receipt they can show if they want.

If you receive a violation, the proof of a timely NASA report filing will waive the penalty.

If you receive a violation, the proof of a timely NASA report filing will waive the penalty.
I find that hard to believe. Seriously, it really makes no sense to make that a blanket cover all, and I don’t for a minute believe it.

If you cause a real problem, or show real failure to follow regulations, I really don’t believe filing a report gets you off.

That statement says they won’t use the report against you. It doesn’t say that won’t use other facts against you. In other words don’t ignore #3

There we go. Not a total gojf card

7C559D8B-7A0F-42BC-A4A2-C22FD2DFF646.jpeg

Has anyone documented what changes or safety improvements have come about as a result of NASA reports?

Not "will." It's a little more involved than that. Of the list @Salty provided, the usual issue which comes up is whether the violation was "inadvertent and not deliberate." If a deviation gets far enough for the ASRS report to become a factor, whether the FAA will "accept" it can become an issue. Here's an example of a case where the FAA rejected the waiver and the NTSB, on appeal, agreed. These days, while it is always a good idea to file one, it's going to be a little more rare to actually use it.

Has anyone documented what changes or safety improvements have come about as a result of NASA reports?

Probably not. I’m sure a lot of the reports are, “I busted airspace because I was plying with foreflight”.

I was sorta hoping to see a few ACs, AIM updates, ADs, airport changes, etc., that could be tied to NASA reports.
They're out there. ASRS alerts are sent out based on reports. If you look at the bottom of the CallBack pub it will list the number of reports and how many and what kind of alerts were sent. But since ASRS has no regulatory authority there data is used in support of the items you listed.
Here's the one from the October edition:
upload_2022-11-12_15-0-33.png

Anyone at any level of commercial or general aviation operations may file an ASRS report, like a baggage handler that sees a potential safety problem or a pilot that made a mistake that could have resulted in an accident, but didn’t. When you look at it from that perspective there is no telling how many rules or operational changes have been influenced over the years by the ASRS reporting system. The fact that the readers of these reports have no way of telling who wrote it, and the writer of the report will not face punitive action by admitting to breaking the rules means it is an effective learning tool to everyone involved. I like it just the way it is.

I've filed several, but one was for an issue with a transient engine stoppage, re-start, re-stop several times before resuming normal power in the C206. (No concern whatsoever for a violation.) Shortly afterward a NASA employee contacted me by phone, anxious to help find out the cause since a detailed inspection on landing found absolutely nothing.

So they were doing more than just collecting reports, and they took an active interest in the problem.

In the case of a pilot deviation, you can still get the violation on your record. You just don't get the suspension or loss of privileges.

i can't point you to the documentation, but there has been a lot of airport signage changed because of nasa reports. when they get a bunch about confusing signage at an airport they do look at it. i have reported a few that I know were changed, I don't know if my report had anything to do with it, but if they received more than just mine i think it may have helped to get a change.

I find that hard to believe. Seriously, it really makes no sense to make that a blanket cover all, and I don’t for a minute believe it.

If you cause a real problem, or show real failure to follow regulations, I really don’t believe filing a report gets you off.
You are truly wrong.

Not "will." It's a little more involved than that. Of the list @Salty provided, the usual issue which comes up is whether the violation was "inadvertent and not deliberate." If a deviation gets far enough for the ASRS report to become a factor, whether the FAA will "accept" it can become an issue. Here's an example of a case where the FAA rejected the waiver and the NTSB, on appeal, agreed. These days, while it is always a good idea to file one, it's going to be a little more rare to actually use it.
Well of course deliberate is not included. Anyone should know that as fact.
It’s silly to suggest that blatantly, and knowingly, can buzz JFK runway 22L, then file a NASA and be absolved.

I have often seen a recommendation to file a NASA or ASRS report when there has been a rule violation, incident, etc. This can supposedly help to mitigate the severity of a possible FAA response. My question is how can the NASA report impact FAA responses since the NASA report is supposed to be confidential and is not shared with the FAA?

After an incident I had, the FAA asked me if I had filed a report. I had and said, "Yes". They did not pursue anything further after that.

I have read many posts on this board where a pilot made a mistake (sometimes a very serious mistake) and they have taken the time to write up what happened and why. I assume they wanted the other readers to learn the circumstances about what led up to the mistake being made so that others will not follow that path. I wonder how many report those lessons learned to the NASA ASRS, or is that system only used after the pilot has been given a number to call?

I have read many posts on this board where a pilot made a mistake (sometimes a very serious mistake) and they have taken the time to write up what happened and why. I assume they wanted the other readers to learn the circumstances about what led up to the mistake being made so that others will not follow that path. I wonder how many report those lessons learned to the NASA ASRS, or is that system only used after the pilot has been given a number to call?
I’ve filed two. Never been given a number to call.

I’ve filed two. Never been given a number to call.
i have filed several with no number to call. I filed one after being given a number to call, but the filing wasn't triggered by that (and was also after the case was pretty much closed).

@PastZTL, I've also used the system for research. Plenty of reports where the circumstances appear not to have involved a Brasher warning,

I would also hold your example case up as an example of the ASRS system working as it should. ie not protecting the intentional violations.

Reading over the case, the pilot knowingly made his choices to violate height over congested areas. Then, rather than accepting his punishment, decided to try to wiggle out of it w/ the ASRS report. Reading the way the pilot tried to defend his actions to the court and to the appeals court, I have no objection to the FAA / NTSB suspending the pilot, my only objection is they reduced his time from 30days to 20days. But that's just me.

Probably not. I’m sure a lot of the reports are, “I busted airspace because I was plying with foreflight”.

Note that the description of the event you put in is not private so saying "Busted airspace" is not a good idea. Saying "airspace situation" is better.

Last edited:
or is that system only used after the pilot has been given a number to call?
As mentioned above, the reporting system can be used by anyone to report an aviation safety or hazardous situation. Have also used the database for research and the types of reports cover a wide range of events. For example, a number of the close calls with drones/aircraft are reported by the general public as the pilot never saw the drone.

A year or so after I filed an ASRS report on the difficulty I had with correctly copying and flying the complex and unpublished IFR-departure instructions at San Carlos (SQL), I noticed the ground controller being extra careful to read the instructions slowly, and later I saw that San Carlos Airport Association posted them on their Web site. I like to think that my report played a role in those improvements.

Back