Explain Motor Homes to me, please...

Jay Honeck

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Jay Honeck
New motorhomes are a complete mystery to me. Spend $400K, get 6 mpg, and pay $40+ per night to park it on a concrete slab.

OR...fly a light plane around the country, staying in the best hotels, for less.

To me, it's a very simple decision. (And I own a motor home!) But the RV parks are packed, and little airports are dying, so what do I know? :dunno:

Have you seen some of the aiviation themed hotels these days? I mean geeze, I'd stay in a motorhome ever chance~!~

:D <means sarcastic :D

A couple of my friends have big tow-behind campers which I think make a lot more sense. They were trying to get me to join the club.

I told them to go ahead and go camping, when they get about 3 or 4 hours from the destination give me a call and I'll fly over and sleep on your couch.

You can't stop at every local watering hole and meet lots of interesting people along the way with an airplane. It's just a different kind of travel.

Being a hermit, I'll choose the airplane. :D

New motorhomes are a complete mystery to me. Spend $400K, get 6 mpg, and pay $40+ per night to park it on a concrete slab.

OR...fly a light plane around the country, staying in the best hotels, for less.

To me, it's a very simple decision. (And I own a motor home!) But the RV parks are packed, and little airports are dying, so what do I know? :dunno:
I'm sorry. I can't.:dunno:

Full timing in one and chasing the sun and waves every few months would be alright, but yeah the drive everywhere on vacation bit no thanks.

When I first started flying, jobs were plentiful. I lived in my 5th wheel and traveled the country always going to the next job. Gas was in the $1.05 range, RV parks were like $8.00 per night, $195.00 per month. My truck and trailer were paid for. I was single, in my thirties and having a blast.

Being on the road I would have my own bedroom when I wanted to sleep. I had my own bathroom for when I wanted to, uh, well..., wash my hands. I had my own kitchen when I was hungry. I met plenty of nice folks where ever I went. Too many sweet old ladies loved cooking a home (RV) cooked meal for me because they thought I could not cook for myself. And thought I looked underfed. I met many elderly retired folks, got to hear their stories. Some are really amazing.

Now I own a business, rental properties, a rural home, married and settled. I was thinking of getting another RV, but the price of fuel stops me. Then again, the company will pay for the RV and fuel. And my wife has never done the RV lifestyle and is bugging me to get one. My business is flying, so when I retire I plan on tearing up the certificates and getting away from the feds.

So yes, I will be in a motor home again. But I won't be staying in RV parks. Or airport theme anything.

Always live in moderate weather. Call South Dakota home. (tax benefits)

Travelling and exploring is fun.

The nomadic Minnesota -> Arizona -> Minnesota -> Arizona -> ... (oh, yeah, necessary annual 2 week stop in SD) doesn't sound like fun. I would miss my shop. And I like to ice fish.

Going out and buying a $400k RV is more like going out and buying a new King Air than going out and buying a used Cherokee...

It's a lifestyle, no different from boating or aviation, it's what people like to do. My dad was in the RV business for 25 years, I took exactly one overnight RV trip in that 25 years!:dunno: I had access to drive whatever I wanted, brand new coaches from Prevost to Winnebago, I have no interest in doing it. I like taking them to ballgames, but not sleeping in them, I'd much rather fly and stay in a hotel. :D
Some folks are campers and some aren't.;)

We just bought a used travel trailer, splitting the cost with my inlaws (who are retired). They can be the "advance team" and do the drive while we fly in.... ;)

There's the intangible of having all YOUR crap with wherever you go, enjoying your dirt, not somebody else's every night.

At least that's what some RVers have explained to me.

...... I met plenty of nice folks where ever I went. Too many sweet old ladies loved cooking a home (RV) cooked meal for me because they thought I could not cook for myself. And thought I looked underfed. I met many elderly retired folks, got to hear their stories. Some are really amazing.

......But I won't be staying in RV parks. Or airport theme anything.

My dad had a nice LARGE RV and I put in two 50 amp full service hook ups in my yard for him and his friends to use when they pass through here... Since he passed on I advertised on some Newmar / Monaco / Prevost sites for people to park here while visiting Jellystone and the Tetons.... I have met some REALLY great and nice people over the years that way.... Nowadays.. those spots just sit empty..:redface:

This is the view from the RV spots...... Minus the snow...;)..:D

Attachments

• front yard.jpg
    front yard.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 95
Last edited:
This spring Karen and I sprang for a CampLite travel trailer and a used 2011 Ford Flex with EcoBoost as a tow vehicle.

Leveled a little area by our frog pond:

14317999313_aed5d2d877_c.jpg

14111187290_39d4e1b8fc_c.jpg

We've really enjoyed the numerous short trips we've taken in it. If we just want to sleep, most WalMarts and rest areas allow overnights:

14848412334_985ac19a36_c.jpg

Even there the sunrise was beautiful. We're continuing to spoil Jake if you followed my "veterinarian" thread.

Get about 12 mpg when towing, about 23 when not. Plenty of power in the mountains (365 hp on tap from the twin-turbo V6).

Its not an economically rational way to travel, but there's something about waking up in your own bed and making your own coffee, meeting new people and just getting out.

We have a friend with a home and hangar at a private strip near Lake Placid, FL, and he said he would not mind if we towed it down right about when the frost starts up here in the GA mountains. We then plan on monthly trips down to fan out to Ft. Lauderdale, where my daughter is, the Keys and the SW coast.

Don't get me wrong -- I LOVE to camp. About once a year, we take our motorhome up to New Braunfels, park by the Comal River, and enjoy a few days of decompression.

And every year we live for a week in a tent next to the plane at OSH.

I'm referring to retired guys hitting the road for months on end in a half-million-dollar rig. What they pay for these epic driving/"camping" journeys is easily more than the same journey in a personal aircraft, staying in the finest hotels.

It doesn't seem to make sense, but as I said, the RV Parks are full while the airports are empty, so it must be just me...

I'm referring to retired guys hitting the road for months on end in a half-million-dollar rig. What they pay for these epic driving/"camping" journeys is easily more than the same journey in a personal aircraft, staying in the finest hotels.

It doesn't seem to make sense, but as I said, the RV Parks are full while the airports are empty, so it must be just me...
Might be related to the number of folks licensed to drive vs licensed to fly. What doesn't make sense is that one can drive some huge GVWR rigs on the same ticket as is required to drive a yugo, with a few exceptions of course.

If we ever "hit the road" I would build another RV-12 and get a toy hauler specially rigged to haul the plane. The wings come off in 5 mins. :D.

This would be the best of both worlds! If the westher is bad my wife can pick me up at the local airport and drive us to the next stop..... if there is an airport near by! :lol:

Last edited:
Might be related to the number of folks licensed to drive vs licensed to fly. What doesn't make sense is that one can drive some huge GVWR rigs on the same ticket as is required to drive a yugo, with a few exceptions of course.

Agreed.....

As the southern gateway to Yellowstone, we get thousands of RV's through here every summer....

You cannot imagine the stupidity of idiots driving million dollar coaches , like making left turns with their right turn signal on, or better yet.. Just stopping in the middle of the road and take pictures...:mad2::mad2:..:mad:...:(

There's the intangible of having all YOUR crap with wherever you go, enjoying your dirt, not somebody else's every night.

At least that's what some RVers have explained to me.

We've had an RV for decades. We started back when it wasn't all that popular, and still use ours, today.

I HATE hotels. I like having my own bed, and knowing exactly who slept in it last night, and what they got up to.

If the people in the next lot are a PITA, we roll up our electric cord and move.

We've used our Motor Home like a station wagon since the kids all went with us. It is a hassle getting in and around town, but so what? Something is always a hassle.

The cost of fuel (especially diesel) is depressing but we still count it all up and keep the motor home.

Neal Boortz is a retired talk show host. He lives in Naples, FL and his show was hosted on WSB here in the ATL as well as syndicated around the country. He regularly flew his Mooney back and forth when he needed to be in Atlanta. Don't know if he still has the Mooney or not but is currently taking possession of a Carbon Cub.

These days though he travels mostly in this.

http://www.millenniumluxurycoaches.com/boortzbus-blog/

There's no medical to drive....

and I wouldn't call it camping, that happens after you hike in 10 or 15 miles...

Met two retired guys that each lived in a rv with their wives. They drove round towing enclosed trailers with powered parachutes in them. They'd fly in the morning and evening hang with their wives rest of the time. Stayed at the local airport for a month or so before moving on. Seemed like a pretty nice way to run out the clock.
Don't get me wrong -- I LOVE to camp. About once a year, we take our motorhome up to New Braunfels, park by the Comal River, and enjoy a few days of decompression.

There was an RV at OSH towing a trailer that contained an lsa with folding wings.

Met two retired guys that each lived in a rv with their wives. They drove round towing enclosed trailers with powered parachutes in them. They'd fly in the morning and evening hang with their wives rest of the time. Stayed at the local airport for a month or so before moving on. Seemed like a pretty nice way to run out the clock.

This is Karen at Monument Valley right after telling me: "This could be us!"

15024946930_d14ce94044_c.jpg

Especially since we have a KTM!

And they had a powered parachute as well!

We were there in our Sky Arrow as part of the annual CT Fly-In at Page, AZ.

I have a friend that has several RV parks, a very profitable business. Two of his parks in Florida are sold out 2 and 3 years in advance.

How many motels (even "themed" ones) can claim bookings that far out?

Who doesn't like a Prevost? Come on.

My problem is, what do I do once I get to the park?

That's why I would like to have a fifth wheel for retirement type travel. I can load the dogs up without worrying about pet friendly hotels (not many are two Labradors friendly). The dogs will have a place to stay alone without causing problems for anyone else, when we go out to dinner, etc. Mostly I can unhook the trailer and DRIVE to dinner, the store, fishing, etc. No need to pull a little dingy Honda pilot or similar, unhook it, then park the bus, etc.

My wife and I will be on the road, we will pass or be passed by a monster RV, I mean BIG, new, maybe a big cat diesel in it, pulling a car. Big, serious money! we always say...." Just imagine where you could go, what you could see .....and stay in first class accommodations" for many years too. All I ever wanted was a pristine 180 Cessna, some dinty Moore beef stew, a sleeping bag, and do the United States back when I was younger.

I've had a soft spot for old Suburbans and Airstreams for sometime now, I think being fascinated with the Space Shuttle as a kid. You can keep all the fancy new pull behinds and 5th wheels.

I'm in the process of restoring this Airstream I picked up a few years ago for $1800!!!! I'm in my early 30's and always get weird looks when I show up. The Suburban is only 4 years younger than me and the Airstream has me by 26 years.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 55
Are you on AirForums?

I spent a lot of time there. Went to one of their rallies at Hiawassee, GA. Nice folks.

We looked at new and lightly used Airstreams and still have a soft spot for them.

But we did not want a restoration project, and the new ones - while expensive - are certainly not without their own faults.

Never even thought t look for a forum. I'll have to check that out.
I got lucky finding this one. It's in decent shape now considering the age. I had a guy offer me cash for mine at a rest area one day, but I couldn't let it go.

Last edited:
Tie on a sailing canoe and I'd have all the toys I need.
This is Karen at Monument Valley right after telling me: "This could be us!"

15024946930_d14ce94044_c.jpg

Especially since we have a KTM!

And they had a powered parachute as well!

We were there in our Sky Arrow as part of the annual CT Fly-In at Page, AZ.

Having stayed a lot in hotels, it is just not the same, doesn't matter how fine of a hotel it is.

Some of these retired RV folks are on the road for a substantial portion of the year, the RV is a second home that moves around with them. If it has a stove and a john, you can take the mortgage interest deduction on the thing. Lots of interesting places that are a hassle with hotels and rental cars.

When I retire I'll get myself one of those volunteer ranger gigs with NPS and spend my summers handing out information pamphlets at Yellowstone ;)

Well, let's see. If you are in an RV driving and see something interesting (point of interest, restaurant, national monument, park, nice lake, river, ocean, beach, etc) you can just pull over and park to see it or find a place close by and stay a few days.

In a small airplane you must fly to an airport, land, park the plane, find transportation (airport car, taxi, donkey, etc) and then travel back to the place (may be 1 mile or maybe 100 miles). Then, if you want to stay, find a local hotel. However, the local hotel maybe a flea bag roach infested place, or then again an over priced resort. Options are limited

Your RV has air conditioning, nice comfortable seats, lots of room, lots of baggage and personal storage. Most GA planes are cramp, no AC and baggage consist of a small bag.

If the weather goes to crap, the RV simply turns on the windshield wipers and moves on down the road. The GA airplane has to find an airport, land, and wait out the weather in a typical FBO either small and run down with maybe a vending machine, or a large airport with a FBO that charges to park on the ramp. Either way, while your fun off time is being spent on the ground hoping for the weather to clear Mr. RV is already at his destination having a drink and getting together with friends.

You should have invested in RV parks??

Sometimes it's the journey, not the destination. Who knows how many flea markets and antique shops you pass over at 180 kts!!

Sometimes it's the journey, not the destination. Who knows how many flea markets and antique shops you pass over at 180 kts!!

I consider that the best reason to fly!!:D

Back