Explain Motor Homes to me, please...

Do you not see the basic ethical issue there? Did those people start earning more to get their rents jacked with no detriment to them? Did you need to **** someone out of being able to get a little ahead by sucking everything you can from them?

Did you need the extra$$$? Were you in need? Do you see where the edict of assuring maximum profit as the primary and singular directive of business is destructive to society in general? Do you never have enough? How much do you really need? I have everything I need, I have experienced everything I've wanted. I live comfortably, I have nothing.
All fine thoughts, and ones I debated extensively in college.

Unfortunately, our economic system has no other way of gauging what is "proper". What's the "right" price of ANYTHING? The only authoritative, accurate, and, yes, fair way of setting the price of any commodity is supply and demand.

Trust me, it works the other way 'round, too -- yet I don't hear anyone crying how "unethical" it is when the market gets overbuilt and we must slash our prices to match the competition's.

Let's see, my last boat was a 45' Pilothouse Yacht. Purchased for $125K. I traveled from east coast of Florida (Daytona) around the southern tip through the Keys, up the west coast, across the gulf to Lake Pontchartrain, then back to Mobile, up the Tenn Tom to the Tennessee River. Guess I went a few places. :rolleyes:

Nice thing about the boat was 2 state rooms, 2 full heads, a full galley plus an office that converted to bunks. I could sleep 6 comfortably. Had 3 airconditioning units, hot water heater, 12KW generator, satellite TV.

The boat was great, spent every weekend on it, invited guest over, had cook outs, went out and anchored out, fished, swam, enjoyed friends and family. Even on a slow weekend it was a nice getaway for my family.

Somehow trying to get my family to spend a weekend with me in a hot hangar hanging out with other airport bums wasn't as much fun for them. Same with planning a weekend trip in the plane only having to cancel for bad weather.
That sounds like an amazingly awesome trip!

Man, I would love to do that some day, but, alas, we've never been able to take off work for more than ten consecutive days in our lives.

Speaking of trains...Mary and are planning to head back to Europe I'm 2015. This time around we are considering getting a EuRail pass and bopping about the continent. Would you recommend this?

I'll tell ya, not anymore, not really. You have to figure pretty close, they aren't cheap anymore. It depends on what you do really. If you intend to go from city to city and staying in each a week or more, then rail will probably work out better than renting a car. If you want to get around though and just a day or two here and an afternoon walk down this little village or stop at that castle on the way from here to there, rent a car. All depends on what you want to do and itinerary you want.

If your main concern is seeing the 'A List' sites starting in London or Madrid and ending in Athens in 10 days, then the passes really pay off, but you want sleeper car class on the high speed trains and let that double for your hotel for that night while the train gets you there.

Oh, and give thought to seeing Croatia.

Last edited:
I'll tell ya, not anymore, not really. You have to figure pretty close, they aren't cheap anymore. It depends on what you do really. If you intend to go from city to city and staying in each a week or more, then rail will probably work out better than renting a car. If you want to get around though and just a day or two here and an afternoon walk down this little village or stop at that castle on the way from here to there, rent a car. All depends on what you want to do and itinerary you want.

If your main concern is seeing the 'A List' sites starting in London or Madrid and ending in Athens in 10 days, then the passes really pay off, but you want sleeper car class on the high speed trains and let that double for your hotel for that night while the train gets you there.

Oh, and give thought to seeing Croatia.
Sleeper cars! I had not considered that. I didn't think anything in Europe was far enough apart to need them?

The last (and only) time I slept on a train was in a Pullman car on the Santa Fe Super Chief, circa 1962. I was four years old, but still remember it.

Will check them out -- thanks for the idea!

Last edited:
Jay,
We are the opposite, we live in San Antonio and I owned a Cirrus and one of my good friends owned a RV-10. His plane blew up, and I sold mine. We will eventually get another plane, but I'm leaning towards a LSA or gyrocopter.

Please lean away from the gyrocopter. :yes:

Sleeper cars! I had not considered that. I didn't think anything in Europe was far enough apart to need them?

The last (and only) time I slept on a train was in a Pullman car on the Santa Re Super Chief, circa 1962. I was four years old, but still remember it.

Will check them out -- thanks for the idea!
Sleeper cars are the way to go. A small increase in cost, avoid the expense of a hotel and wake up in another city ready for a new day. That is how we did it when I was in Europe.

Sleeper cars are the way to go. A small increase in cost, avoid the expense of a hotel and wake up in another city ready for a new day. That is how we did it when I was in Europe.

If you are in a great hurry, yes the sleeper cars can be an alternative to a hotel stay or two. But then, you deprive yourself of the experience of a nice breakfast at a downtown hotel followed by exploration of the town before all the other tourists get going.

Chose an area, spend some time there. The 'its wednesday, this must be Belgium' method of travel is something we should leave to the japanese ;) .

My mom told my Dad when he wanted to buy an RV ..

"over my dead body we're going to spend eighty thousand and I have to cook and clean"

She was of the persuasion like Jay that for 80 grand, they could travel first class on room service and not have to wash sheets and do dishes. :dunno:

If you are in a great hurry, yes the sleeper cars can be an alternative to a hotel stay or two. But then, you deprive yourself of the experience of a nice breakfast at a downtown hotel followed by exploration of the town before all the other tourists get going.

Chose an area, spend some time there. The 'its wednesday, this must be Belgium' method of travel is something we should leave to the japanese ;) .

Yeah, that's kind of the direction I'm leaning, too. Mary and I love to get a feel for an area, outside of the touristy stuff. For example, when we went to Germany, we explored the quaint little town of Dachau -- generally not on the tourist map (except for the concentration camp) and found the most wonderful people and places. We do this everywhere we go, and only rarely get in trouble with it. (Washington D.C., for example. Don't try to walk to the Naval Museum from the subway!)

I think we'll incorporate the sleeper trains somewhere in the trip, but I wouldn't want to do it every night. We LOVE cool hotels!

Love my motorhome. I used it to tow my Sprint Cars when I first bought it, it's much easier to get the wife to go to tracks at reach 100 degrees with it. I then and still do use it to tow my boat and Sea Doo's to a lake a couple hundred miles away, camp at the waters edge for a week then go home. Travel to the amusement parks with my 3 young children, we have a place to retreat to for lunch and give the kids a hour power nap. It's hard to do those things with my 172. As far as gas goes, I get 9 miles per gallon but I don't care what I spend on gas. When the motorhome is moving my family is going on a fun trip together that I hope my daughters will remember long after I am gone.

Explain Little Airplanes To Me Please

The idea of using little airplanes for recreational travel is a complete mystery to me. Spend $50K and up (often WAY up) for a traveling airplane, only to be totally subservient to the whims of the weather and the FAA bureaucracy. You have to leave half of your stuff (and sometimes, your family) at home due to weight and balance limitations, you often have to wrestle with finding ground transportation just to get a decent lunch, not to mention having to wrangle a courtesy car, rental car, or taxi to haul people, luggage, dogs, and whatever else you bring along to hotels every night, then reverse that procedure every morning. Plus paying who-knows-how-much for parking/landing/ramp/whatever other fees the airport folks want to make up.

Plus, no matter how interesting something along the route looks, you may get a view of it from the air, but you're not stopping to take the tour unless there happens to be an airport nearby and you're willing to endure whatever ground transportation hassles are required to actually get there.

OR...drive a $20K and up (often way up) RV rig (my preference is a motorhome towing a dinghy that can be attached or detached in less than two minutes), stay wherever you want, from a Walmart lot to a friend's driveway to the finest RV resort to a waterfront spot fifty feet from the Pacific (or from the river where the freighters are maneuvering into the Soo Locks). Take the dogs, the grandkids, friends, relatives, and virtually everything else you want or need, in relatively roomy splendor that includes most of the amenities of your stick house, including satellite TV and high-speed internet.

Weather is a non-factor, there's no slogging your luggage to and from hotels, you can eat wherever you want, from a quick sandwich or a gourmet meal in the motorhome, to food trucks, cafes, or the finest restaurants; sure beats making a meal out of whatever you find in the vending machines at the airport. And you can visit any attractions or interesting sights you see or hear about along the way, without worrying about whether there's an airport nearby, or transport to the attraction from the airport available after you get there, or a place to safely leave the dogs or the grandkids who are along for the trip but aren't really good candidates to go along when you decide to take the tour (and sample the wares) found along Kentucky's Whiskey Trail.

To me, it's a very simple decision, and I've owned airplanes (up through a Bonanza) and motorhomes (up to a 300k diesel pusher): if you have more money than time, an airplane (whether GA or airliner) is a great way to make the most of both. But once you reach the point in life where time is in abundance (and money may or may not be), the flexibility of wandering the country in a rolling home-away-from-home, is hands-down a better way to spend both.

Plus, by that point, you probably know lots of folks, all over the country, with airplanes. The airports where those airplanes can be found become new motorhome destinations, where you get to do some of the cheapest and most enjoyable flying of all: OPA, (aka, Other People's Airplanes). Fun flying doesn't get any cheaper than that, and I've flown OPA in everything from ultralights to B-25's, without any of the hassles or expenses of airplane ownership. After the flight, walk a few feet to your "home", offer the airplane owner a cocktail or dinner (I've found that, like me when I owned an airplane, most won't accept gas money). Then, the next day, either move on, or not-- and all without worrying about what trials and tribulations are being predicted on the Weather Channel.

When my wife and I both worked for a living, the airport house and the Bonanza in the backyard hangar were great, and there was no better way to turn our disposable income into short, but quality, time at distant destinations. Now, though, without time limits? I still fly for fun locally-- but if travel is the plan? It's not even close, the motorhome is a far better way to go.

Last edited:
RV's can be mighty expensive, just like airplanes.

A cow-worker recently purchased a nice RV to go on family trips, but mostly to use as a domicile and tailgating location at college football games.

Last weekend was his first football road trip.

About halfway to the destination, they had an inboard tire blow out. This wasn't something he could address on the side of the road, so they had to call a service to fix it. That took about 4 hours.

Unfortunately, when the tire blew, it damaged the RV. In fact, it tore out the wheel well and scattered their luggage all over the interstate. They recovered most of it. Worse, the flapping tire carcass also damaged the mechanism for one of the slide-outs on the RV. The damage is so extensive, the insurance company is considering totaling the vehicle.

It is almost inconceivable to me that a blown tire could do $50k of damage.

RV's can be mighty expensive, just like airplanes.

A cow-worker recently purchased a nice RV to go on family trips, but mostly to use as a domicile and tailgating location at college football games.

Last weekend was his first football road trip.

About halfway to the destination, they had an inboard tire blow out. This wasn't something he could address on the side of the road, so they had to call a service to fix it. That took about 4 hours.

Unfortunately, when the tire blew, it damaged the RV. In fact, it tore out the wheel well and scattered their luggage all over the interstate. They recovered most of it. Worse, the flapping tire carcass also damaged the mechanism for one of the slide-outs on the RV. The damage is so extensive, the insurance company is considering totaling the vehicle.

It is almost inconceivable to me that a blown tire could do $50k of damage.

That's why only a fool saves money on recap tires.

I drive my RV to wherever I'm either racing, or having fun. I race off-road, so the nearest hotels, or running water for that matter, are usually 30-40minutes away. Way nicer to bring home with you. When you stay in the middle of the desert for 10 days at a time, it's pretty much mandatory. When I go to the track with my streetbike, it's also nice to have a place to relax and cool off in between sessions. I dont understand RV campgrounds either, but for my recreational activities the RV is almost a necessity.

I don't think the tire was a recap. I think it was OEM.

I thought the recap comment was either totally off topic or assumed facts not in evidence.

Speaking of facts, is there actual data showing recaps of different kinds are, in fact, more failure-prone?

I've used them for years on my training planes to keep costs down, and never found them troublesome. A pair of Monster retreads now reside on my Sky Arrow mains, so far to no ill effect.

http://extension.usu.edu/files/publications/factsheet/FM-32.pdf

In part: "A good quality retread has the same good looks, safety, performance and mileage as comparable new tires—at almost half the cost."

Last edited:
The only tires I've ever seen throw tread like that were recaps.

One man's limited experience.

Also from the linked article:

"When people see the highways littered with thrown rubber, the tendency is to say, “another retread.” Surveys show that most of this rubber doesn’t come from retreads, but off new and partially worn second or third line tires."

I drive my RV to wherever I'm either racing, or having fun. I race off-road, so the nearest hotels, or running water for that matter, are usually 30-40minutes away. Way nicer to bring home with you. When you stay in the middle of the desert for 10 days at a time, it's pretty much mandatory. When I go to the track with my streetbike, it's also nice to have a place to relax and cool off in between sessions. I dont understand RV campgrounds either, but for my recreational activities the RV is almost a necessity.
I get that. Mary and take our motorhome to the beach several times a year, park it as close to the tide line as advisable, and enjoy it immensely.

When the wind, heat, sand, and sun get to be too much, it's great to slip into the air conditioning for a few minutes, or take a nap. Sleeping next to the waves is hard to beat.

But that's not what I'm talking about. I'm referring to the concept of hitting the road for months on end in a half-million dollar rolling palace, with brief sojourns back home. IMHO, you're money (and fun) ahead to instead fly your personal airplane around the country and stay at the finest hotels.

In fact, that's our retirement plan. :)

I get that. Mary and take our motorhome to the beach several times a year, park it as close to the tide line as advisable, and enjoy it immensely.

When the wind, heat, sand, and sun get to be too much, it's great to slip into the air conditioning for a few minutes, or take a nap. Sleeping next to the waves is hard to beat.

But that's not what I'm talking about. I'm referring to the concept of hitting the road for months on end in a half-million dollar rolling palace, with brief sojourns back home. IMHO, you're money (and fun) ahead to instead fly your personal airplane around the country and stay at the finest hotels.

Or ditch the permanent house, move into the motorhome and bring a flying machine or two with you. I like flying over cool places, flying between cool places is boring and often a pia.

Or ditch the permanent house, move into the motorhome and bring a flying machine or two with you. I like flying over cool places, flying between cool places is boring and often a pia.
Funny. I've been flying for two decades, every few days -- and have never found it to be boring or a PIA.

Driving the motorhome from Iowa to the island? Now THAT was boring AND a PIA. ;)

re: tires (a page back) ... trailer tires (ST) on RVs from the factory are the absolute worst of the worst cheapest most unreliable POS China bombs that they can find *(generally - exceptions do occur ... .for example, I just replaced 5 year old Power King Tow Max tires that were worn out at 12,000 miles - no blowouts) on my fifth wheel trailer.

Except that you wont do it. Same as buying vs. renting an aircraft. If you rent, you have the immediate pain of having to run your card when you return the keys and you actually know what that particular flight cost you. If you own, the pain from the annual bill has subsided by the time you go flying and the only cost you see is whatever it costs to fill up.

A diesel-pusher RV is an investment similar to a second home or condo (I use 'investment' somewhat loosely as it is depreciating rolling stock). The money to own the thing is spent, the interest is tax advantaged and your cost per night goes down the more you use it. No matter how great the hotel, once you have spent the 100th night within a year in one, the experience gets pretty old.

Actually, we will.

Our plan for "retirement" is to join the thin ranks of professional inn-sitters, using our plane to fly about the country. This week we might be running a bed n breakfast in Boston (while the owner visits her sick parents in Toledo), while next week we might be running a boutique hotel in the Keys.

Now that we've hired these type of folks half a dozen times, (so that we can attend OSH) and have become friends with a couple of them, we have realized how perfect a fit GA is with the job.
:)

When I have to use a hotel, I wonder about things. Like when was the last time the blanket or bedspread was washed? Have the telephone and Tv remote been sanitized ever? How about he chairs and couch. When was the last time they were cleaned? The table has water marks, so I know someone ran a wet dirty cloth over it. How about the tub/shower? Was it cleaned after the last stay? I ask these questions and get the same standard answer: "Oh yes, just this morning."

I have all these questions answered in my 5th wheel.

Usually when I have to stay in a hotel, I take the bedspread and blanket and throw it in the closet. I check the mattress for wetness, nasty stains and bugs. I wear rubber gloves to check everything. If I will be staying for more than one night I will wash the bedding and pillows myself.

I will admit to being a major germaphobe. I am so bad that I wear rubber gloves while flying the EMS planes. I sanitize my headset before every flight. And after the flight I immediately go home to shower and change clothes. The medics are supposed to clean the plane after the flight, but I will do that myself before a flight if time permits.

Don't get me started about going into a restaurant. Most places here do not allow me back.

I am such a germaphobe that I want each and all of you to wash your hands for 15 seconds before replying to this...:yes:

So that is why I prefer my 5th wheel to any hotel.

Our plan for "retirement" is to join the thin ranks of professional inn-sitters, using our plane to fly about the country. This week we might be running a bed n breakfast in Boston (while the owner visits her sick parents in Toledo), while next week we might be running a boutique hotel in the Keys.

That means you are not retiring.

When I have to use a hotel, I wonder about things. Like when was the last time the blanket or bedspread was washed? Have the telephone and Tv remote been sanitized ever? How about he chairs and couch. When was the last time they were cleaned? The table has water marks, so I know someone ran a wet dirty cloth over it. How about the tub/shower? Was it cleaned after the last stay? I ask these questions and get the same standard answer: "Oh yes, just this morning."

Usually when I have to stay in a hotel, I take the bedspread and blanket and throw it in the closet. I check the mattress for wetness, nasty stains and bugs. I wear rubber gloves to check everything. If I will be staying for more than one night I will wash the bedding and pillows myself.

I will admit to being a major germaphobe. I am so bad that I wear rubber gloves while flying the EMS planes. I sanitize my headset before every flight. And after the flight I immediately go home to shower and change clothes. The medics are supposed to clean the plane after the flight, but I will do that myself before a flight if time permits.

Don't get me started about going into a restaurant. Most places here do not allow me back.

I am such a germaphobe that I want each and all of you to wash your hands for 15 seconds before replying to this...:yes:

I would love to take you to Golden Corral buffet next time you're in Corpus Christi. lol

Even I -- a guy who eats Cheetos with filthy hands, after spraying Round Up and changing a diaper -- look at the forks there and go "Ewww!"

Dammit, I love the place. ;)

BTW: Mary is in charge of our housekeeping, for obvious reasons. She has a degree in chemistry. You can normally eat off the tile floors.

:vomit:
I would love to take you to Golden Corral buffet next time you're in Corpus Christi. lol

Even I -- a guy who eats Cheetos with filthy hands, after spraying Round Up and changing a diaper -- look at the forks there and go "Ewww!"

Dammit, I love the place. ;)

BTW: Mary is in charge of our housekeeping, for obvious reasons. She has a degree in chemistry. You can normally eat off the tile floors.

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

My wife loves the Golden Dragon Chinese Buffet here in town. One day I watched a cook come out to change the steam rice dish. He dropped one corner into the hot water under the metal food containers. He picked it up and stirred the water into the rice and put it back in place. I picked up the dish and threw it in the trash, rice, dish and all. Then informed the manager. She was upset that I threw the food out before she could look at it. Seems the chinese are more concerned with profit over health.

The hot water in the buffet table is the nastiest water around and could contain all kinds of bacteria. :vomit:

Still, I have eaten at road side barbeque stands in Texas that didn't even have bathrooms.....or health permits... or even know what sanitation is. Can't stay away from them.

:vomit:

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

My wife loves the Golden Dragon Chinese Buffet here in town. One day I watched a cook come out to change the steam rice dish. He dropped one corner into the hot water under the metal food containers. He picked it up and stirred the water into the rice and put it back in place. I picked up the dish and threw it in the trash, rice, dish and all. Then informed the manager. She was upset that I threw the food out before she could look at it. Seems the chinese are more concerned with profit over health.

The hot water in the buffet table is the nastiest water around and could contain all kinds of bacteria. :vomit:

Still, I have eaten at road side barbeque stands in Texas that didn't even have bathrooms.....or health permits... or even know what sanitation is. Can't stay away from them.

What doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Antibacterial soap is weakening the gene pool.

Zeldman;1560114....... I wear rubber gloves while flying the EMS planes. I sanitize my headset before every flight. And after the flight I immediately go home to shower and change clothes. The medics are supposed to clean the plane after the flight said:
germaphobe[/B] that I want each and all of you to wash your hands for 15 seconds before replying to this...:yes:

WOW..... Just WOW.......

I guess unprotected sex with your wife is out of the question...:dunno:.....:D

You must be a ton of fun at a titty bar.:rofl::D;)

Chinese buffets are THE WORST. I have yet to use the restroom in one where my feet did not literally stick to the floors.

That said, I love them, too.

BTW: I'm going to be 56 next week, and have never missed a day of work due to illness. Ever.

:

BBQ places in Texas are a riot.

One of the best parts of eating in them is the knowledge that everything about them -- from the open pit fires to the food handling methods -- would be illegal in Iowa and Wisconsin.

Go to Lockhart someday. The food is amazing -- but the restaurants are downright scary. :)

Actually, we will.

Now that we've hired these type of folks half a dozen times, (so that we can attend OSH) and have become friends with a couple of them, we have realized how perfect a fit GA is with the job.

Don't you have a staff to watch the place when you go to OSH?

Contract innsitters work with our existing staff.

We learned in 2010 that there is no way to "staff up" for us to be gone for ten days. That year (our first in Texas) we tried using existing staff during Oshkosh. It worked, but there were numerous quality control failures, and the entire staff quit when we returned.

Contract innsitters work with our existing staff.

We learned in 2010 that there is no way to "staff up" for us to be gone for ten days. That year (our first in Texas) we tried using existing staff during Oshkosh. It worked, but there were numerous quality control failures, and the entire staff quit when we returned.

:hairraise:...:eek:....:yikes:...

That is a story we need to hear one day....:yes:.....;)

Back