Explain Motor Homes to me, please...

I plan on being the old guy with a young looking wife (which I already have) with the high dollar 5th wheel and pickup. The company will have paid for it all, and investment profits will be paying for the fuel. Rental properties will be paid for by then so that will pay for anything ealse I want or need.

I have an aviation business so when I retire I plan on tearing up my certificates.

We own both. We enjoy taking the kids and camping at local State park especially when I'm on call which is once a month. We have drug our 20 foot Lance to Wisconsin twice on 2 week adventures with my kids and wife. They will remember as long as they live this. They will probably recall those trips more often then our 3-4 hour flights to various places on vacation.

Although I'm at a turning point where I don't know what to go up to. The Lance is for sale and were looking for something's larger. Wo knows, another camper or small taildragger for daddy?

This is Karen at Monument Valley right after telling me: "This could be us!"

15024946930_d14ce94044_c.jpg

Especially since we have a KTM!

Now that would work! I could easily see myself roaming the country with a toy hauler type RV. Put a motorcycle, windsurfer, kayak, and some type of flying device in there (hang glider, chute?), and I could entertain myself for years. Tow a versatile vehicle behind it like a Jeep CJ or Wrangler, and I'd be set for a happy retirement. Or, make it a 5th wheel pulled by a beefy diesel pickup, either way would be great.

Last edited:
We have drug our 20 foot Lance to Wisconsin twice on 2 week adventures with my kids and wife. They will remember as long as they live this. They will probably recall those trips more often then our 3-4 hour flights to various places on vacation.

I have many fond memories of camping out.

Even at Sea Level, NC recently, patiently waiting for the mosquito fogging truck to make another pass, or waking up in a WalMart parking lot, each outing has been memorable.

Hotels, even fancy hotels, not so much. I really cannot recall the last time when a hotel stay was truly memorable.*

But different strokes!

*Well, except maybe for the strong cat urine smell in one, and the bloodstains on a pillow case in another. Both recently! :eek:

Our best friends own a Prevost, they had a Newell previously. They use it to travel between their homes in AZ and here in the Snowy's and back to their kids' places in the midwest. They're retired, very well off, he flew chinooks in Vietnam and really has no interest in flying anymore.
As an aside I've traveled with them 3 times in the Prevost, they had to pour me out of it twice!:D I hate that thing.

I've had a soft spot for old Suburbans and Airstreams for sometime now, I think being fascinated with the Space Shuttle as a kid. You can keep all the fancy new pull behinds and 5th wheels.

I'm in the process of restoring this Airstream I picked up a few years ago for $1800!!!! I'm in my early 30's and always get weird looks when I show up. The Suburban is only 4 years younger than me and the Airstream has me by 26 years.

We've got an old Rolite pop up trailer in the shop. Spouse has had it for years. One of these days, I plan on restoring it. Will tow it behind one of the 70's Jeep Wagoneers we've got.

Very difficult to attend duxford airshow in a motor home, etc. my wife and I really enjoy 4 star hotels, not cooking, spending time relaxing , reading, seeing things. We are not big on lousy motels or resturants.

I love my 2013 Winnebago one 32ft travel trailer. I don't drive around the country. I'm not retired. We Park it in the mountains 7 months at a RV park and stay there every other weekend. Once it gets too cold in the mountains it comes back near home and we use it closer to home at a RV park. You cant beat camping live with Children away from electronic craps.

Sure I could bought a C172 for the price I paid for the travel trailer. The operation cost of my travel trailer is way cheaper than a airplane.

I love my 2013 Winnebago one 32ft travel trailer. I don't drive around the country. I'm not retired. We Park it in the mountains 7 months at a RV park and stay there every other weekend. Once it gets too cold in the mountains it comes back near home and we use it closer to home at a RV park. You cant beat camping live with Children away from electronic craps.

Sure I could bought a C172 for the price I paid for the travel trailer. The operation cost of my travel trailer is way cheaper than a airplane.
What are you paying per night at an RV park?

That's where the financial models really diverge into an inexplicable situation, IMHO.

Here's a real-world example. In the off-season, we rent about half of our rooms to Winter Texans. We don't make any money on them, really, but we might come close to breaking even.

We rent our double queen rooms for $850/month, no tax added. A full kitchen will run ~$1100/month.

So, that's $27.42/day. Or $35.48/day. We provide twice a week maid service, an off leash dog park, free WiFi and movies, a pool and a hot tub. The senior center is 200 yards away, with lots of old fart activities.

Meanwhile, the RV parks charge $30 - $40/night, for a concrete slab and picnic table. And a nice view of your neighbor's trailer.

Add in the cost of a rig, and the requirement of having a toad (or at least a golf cart), and it quickly becomes apparent that none of this makes financial sense. You could eat surf & turf at the island's finest restaurant EVERY DAY and still be money ahead by staying with us.

Which is, of course, why we are full of Winter Texans every winter. :)

I'm just struggling to see the allure? I own a 29' Dutchmen motor home, and have lived in it for as long as six weeks. It was nice, but compared to flying my RV-8A to San Antonio and staying in a hotel on the Riverwalk (for example), it was pretty dull, and MORE expensive.

None that will come out on the ice and sit with me. :D

I'm an outdoors kind of guy, but you ice fishermen are flat out nuts! ;)

I can almost see it with the huts or tents, plenty of bourbon, and perhaps a nubile wife to join you. But the guys that sit out in the wind alone on a five gallon bucket with their mini fishing pole and a strainer to keep the hole from freezing up? Like Jonesy said, there are therapists for that.

:)

What are you paying per night at an RV park?

That's where the financial models really diverge into an inexplicable situation, IMHO.

Here's a real-world example. In the off-season, we rent about half of our rooms to Winter Texans. We don't make any money on them, really, but we might come close to breaking even.

We rent our double queen rooms for $850/month, no tax added. A full kitchen will run ~$1100/month.

So, that's $27.42/day. Or $35.48/day. We provide twice a week maid service, an off leash dog park, free WiFi and movies, a pool and a hot tub. The senior center is 200 yards away, with lots of old fart activities.

Meanwhile, the RV parks charge $30 - $40/night, for a concrete slab and picnic table. And a nice view of your neighbor's trailer.

Add in the cost of a rig, and the requirement of having a toad (or at least a golf cart), and it quickly becomes apparent that none of this makes financial sense. You could eat surf & turf at the island's finest restaurant EVERY DAY and still be money ahead by staying with us.

Which is, of course, why we are full of Winter Texans every winter. :)

I'm just struggling to see the allure? I own a 29' Dutchmen motor home, and have lived in it for as long as six weeks. It was nice, but compared to flying my RV-8A to San Antonio and staying in a hotel on the Riverwalk (for example), it was pretty dull, and MORE expensive.

Jay,
We are the opposite, we live in San Antonio and I owned a Cirrus and one of my good friends owned a RV-10. His plane blew up, and I sold mine. We will eventually get another plane, but I'm leaning towards a LSA or gyrocopter.

We are buying a RV because we like to have our own stuff, with our kids and travel. We can stay by your hotel for $30-40 per night, but then I can drive to FL and stay for $30-40 per night, etc.

The RV will cost me about $100K and get mid teens to low twenties in MPG. We are getting a Sprinter Diesel RV. A RV can be parked in my yard and I can service it myself if I want to.

An airplane is a headache. You depend on airports, require transportation at the destination, and have to sleep in beds that could be infected with bed bugs, or have the sheets not switched, etc....

A RV is a known quality, where as a hotel is a crap shoot.

The RV can bring motorcycles, flying machines, small boats, fishing gear, giant TVs, several pairs of underwear. Same as an airplane, time, money, how you use it and where you live matters, but all that works out to RVs favor most of the time. The dream that sells both is similar... You could use the same stock photos of mountains and lakes in RV and airplane ads.:D

In our chase, this is similar to the interior we will have:

http://citation-sprinter.com/gallery.php

With this, we don't actually have to pay $30 to go to Port-A. We can drive in, park on the beach, go to a gas station to sleep, then wake up and go back to the beach! Not that I'm that cheap!

Also, please don't say I can go experimental aviation, as that is no where near the same as an RV. I don't want to build an air plane, nor do I want to buy one that is build by a person! Just like I don't want to buy a diesel sprinter van and build my own RV.

We don't have to worry about needing to park our RV at another location due to lighting being installed (which isn't even needed). No expensive annual inspection. No hangar expense. No TFRs. Case closed.

Seems to me that (a) you picked the wrong business or (b) you need to figure a better way to run your existing business.

Haven't been to an RV park in a while? My friend's RV parks in Florida have pools, hot tubs, golf, a common area for parties, cook outs, Wifi, cable hookups, etc. And his rates are on par with your hotel rates.

And he sells out for 2-3 years in advance. How far out are your hotel rooms sold out?

Of course staying in your hotel, at the end of the day the client owns nothing. With an RV he owns it, and the really great part is he can take it anywhere. With your hotel, it's not mobile.

I'm just struggling to see the allure?

I can't see the "allure" of a "theme hotel".

I own a 29' Dutchmen motor home, and have lived in it for as long as six weeks. It was nice, but compared to flying my RV-8A to San Antonio and staying in a hotel on the Riverwalk (for example), it was pretty dull, and MORE expensive.

Flying a small airplane to San Antonio to stay at the Riverwalk. You are dependent on weather, once you get there you don't have transportation. Depending on the time of year, the RV8 is hot, noisy and cramped, and you are limited on baggage. Want to take more than your wife? Not happening with the RV8.

Jay,
We are the opposite, we live in San Antonio and I owned a Cirrus and one of my good friends owned a RV-10. His plane blew up, and I sold mine. We will eventually get another plane, but I'm leaning towards a LSA or gyrocopter.

We are buying a RV because we like to have our own stuff, with our kids and travel. We can stay by your hotel for $30-40 per night, but then I can drive to FL and stay for $30-40 per night, etc.

The RV will cost me about $100K and get mid teens to low twenties in MPG. We are getting a Sprinter Diesel RV. A RV can be parked in my yard and I can service it myself if I want to.

An airplane is a headache. You depend on airports, require transportation at the destination, and have to sleep in beds that could be infected with bed bugs, or have the sheets not switched, etc....

A RV is a known quality, where as a hotel is a crap shoot.

:yeahthat:

Haven't been to an RV park in a while? My friend's RV parks in Florida have pools, hot tubs, golf, a common area for parties, cook outs, Wifi, cable hookups, etc. And his rates are on par with your hotel rates.

And he sells out for 2-3 years in advance. How far out are your hotel rooms sold out?

Your friend may have a fine RV park, but anyone in the lodging industry -- hotel, motel, B&B, or RV park -- that sells out that far in advance is a very poor businessman.

This is one of the hardest lessons to learn in my business. Yes, it's comforting to sell out way in advance, but mostly it's just easier. Employees love it, because they no longer have to work -- once sold out, all they have to do is pick up the phone and say "Sorry, we're sold out", while they spend the rest of the day posting on Facebook.

The goal of every competent hotelier is to sell out no more than five minutes before closing time, every night. If you sell out even 24 hours in advance, all you've proven is that you set your prices too low. It's harder to do business this way -- it requires a great deal of training and a much higher caliber desk staff person to pull it off -- but with availability as our only commodity, it's the only way to maximize profits.

One of the easiest ways to spot absentee-owned properties is to check their availability. If they are sold out long in advance, it's a sure indicator that they are being run by an employee manager, not an owner.

Your friend may have a fine RV park, but anyone in the lodging industry -- hotel, motel, B&B, or RV park -- that sells out that far in advance is a very poor businessman.

This is one of the hardest lessons to learn in my business. Yes, it's comforting to sell out way in advance, but mostly it's just easier. Employees love it, because they no longer have to work -- once sold out, all they have to do is pick up the phone and say "Sorry, we're sold out", while they spend the rest of the day posting on Facebook.

The goal of every competent hotelier is to sell out no more than five minutes before closing time, every night. If you sell out even 24 hours in advance, all you've proven is that you set your prices too low. It's harder to do business this way -- it requires a great deal of training and a much higher caliber desk staff person to pull it off -- but with availability as our only commodity, it's the only way to maximize profits.

One of the easiest ways to spot absentee-owned properties is to check their availability. If they are sold out long in advance, it's a sure indicator that they are being run by an employee manager, not an owner.

:rolleyes2:

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

That is indeed one of the most, shall we say, creative explanations I've seen.

You claim that you cater your hotel to customers that We don't make any money on them, really, but we might come close to breaking even.

And then you slam a businessman that sells out his RV park in advance reservations as a "poor businessman"????? :rolleyes2:

This guy owns a beautiful 10,000 sq ft home in Florida, has 4 airplanes, a couple of boats and vacations in Europe (Spain) every year. BTW, his home is on a private airpark, outside of his house is his hangar, 100X100.

Yea, I'd say he's a poor businessman....:rolleyes2:

And then you slam a businessman that sells out his RV park in advance reservations as a "poor businessman"????? :rolleyes2:

This guy owns a beautiful 10,000 sq ft home in Florida, has 4 airplanes, a couple of boats and vacations in Europe (Spain) every year. BTW, his home is on a private airpark, outside of his house is his hangar, 100X100.

Does he provide a courtesy car ?

:rolleyes2:

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

That is indeed one of the most, shall we say, creative explanations I've seen.

You claim that you cater your hotel to customers that We don't make any money on them, really, but we might come close to breaking even.

Look, I know you know nothing about business, and the lodging business in particular, so I will take your statements as ignorant and not your usual nasty. To clarify, my statement was that we break even on Winter Texan business, not on all of our customers. We easily make enough during the Season to cover our yearly expenses and make a tidy profit. The Winter Texans are just gravy, which is why we can set our rates reasonably.

As for the rest of your post, well, suffice it to say that you are mistaken on all counts. Any owner of a lodging establishment who sells out 2 to 3 years in advance needs to hire someone who knows how to run the business. He's easily leaving 10%, possibly as much as 25%, on the table, by setting his rates so low that he's too easily (and too early) selling out.

Of course, the possibility exists that he simply doesn't need the money. If the guy doesn't need to make money, well, then, he might as well sell out 3 years in advance -- it's a lot easier. But that's a lot different from being a good businessman or running a tight ship.

Look, I know you know nothing about business, and the lodging business in particular, so I will take your statements as ignorant and not your usual nasty.

I owned and ran a very successful business in my past.

To clarify, my statement was that we break even on Winter Texan business, not on all of our customers. We easily make enough during the Season to cover our yearly expenses and make a tidy profit. The Winter Texans are just gravy, which is why we can set our rates reasonably.

By admitting you have a segment you "break even" on is the equivalent of what you are accusing my friend of. Apparently you are such a poor businessman that you are leaving money on the table with your winter Texans. :rolleyes2:

As for the rest of your post, well, suffice it to say that you are mistaken on all counts. Any owner of a lodging establishment who sells out 2 to 3 years in advance needs to hire someone who knows how to run the business. He's easily leaving 10%, possibly as much as 25%, on the table, by setting his rates so low that he's too easily (and too early) selling out.

His rates are competitive with the area (Florida) and the attraction of his parks are they have amenities, very clean and very well run. The winter crowd (snowbirds) love it and reserve far out in advance to guarantee a slot. In fact most of the RV parks in Florida (the really good ones) sell out years in advance. Don't believe me, start calling around Florida and try to get a spot this winter.

Of course, the possibility exists that he simply doesn't need the money. If the guy doesn't need to make money, well, then, he might as well sell out 3 years in advance -- it's a lot easier. But that's a lot different from being a good businessman or running a tight ship.

He made his fortune in RV parks, and has done extremely well in other investments. His portfolio shows what a successful businessman he is.

so I will take your statements as ignorant and not your usual nasty.

pot_calls_kettle_black.jpg

His rates are competitive with the area (Florida) and the attraction of his parks are they have amenities, very clean and very well run. The winter crowd (snowbirds) love it and reserve far out in advance to guarantee a slot. In fact most of the RV parks in Florida (the really good ones) sell out years in advance. Don't believe me, start calling around Florida and try to get a spot this winter.
pot_calls_kettle_black.jpg

I think there is a difference between RV parks catering to the snowbird crowd and the ones based on drop-in overnight business near some attraction. It sounds like he runs his place more like a real-estate investment with long-term tenants and a predictable cash flow. Having open spots to wait for someone to show up at 5pm looking for a place for the night would be of no benefit to him.

By admitting you have a segment you "break even" on is the equivalent of what you are accusing my friend of. Apparently you are such a poor businessman that you are leaving money on the table with your winter Texans. :rolleyes2:

We set the rates precisely to fill half the hotel with Winter Texans. No more, no less. That is what's called maximizing your profit.

The other half of our rooms are left available for nightly business, which is (of course) where the money is. Demand here is too low in winter, however, to keep those rooms full on weeknights -- at any price. Which is why we call winter "Remodeling Season" on the island.

Weekends always take care of themselves, but our goal is to always sell out at 10:59 PM.

Much of this summer we were selling out as much as a week in advance, so we just kept dialing up the prices until we weren't. Now, with the off-season upon us, we just keep dialing the prices down, until we do.

It's a weird business, but a lot of fun (and quite profitable), when done properly.

I think there is a difference between RV parks catering to the snowbird crowd and the ones based on drop-in overnight business near some attraction. It sounds like he runs his place more like a real-estate investment with long-term tenants and a predictable cash flow. Having open spots to wait for someone to show up at 5pm looking for a place for the night would be of no benefit to him.

True. But he's leaving a lot of money on the table selling out so far in advance.

New motorhomes are a complete mystery to me. Spend $400K, get 6 mpg, and pay $40+ per night to park it on a concrete slab.

OR...fly a light plane around the country, staying in the best hotels, for less.

To me, it's a very simple decision. (And I own a motor home!) But the RV parks are packed, and little airports are dying, so what do I know? :dunno:

No packing or unpacking, you can pull into WalMart's parking lot on your way across the country and be asleep in your comfy bed in 2 minutes. The days of "Jimi's touching me, tell him to get on his side of the seat!!!" are through, heck, you don't even have to wake the kids to roll, everyone can be comfortably in bed with one person driving. You can choose to stay in a campground, or you can choose to park in the remote wilderness, when visiting friends and relatives you can stay with them without impinging on their space by parking your apartment in their yard.

If you get a Diesel unit, depending on the model (some of the sleeker 18'-23' ones here get around 24mpg) you get 10-24mpg, even the big Newell I drove got 10mpg.

The main attraction is the same as with cabin boats, you take all your stuff with you that makes you comfortable. I think an RV is a great way to live and travel.

True. But he's leaving a lot of money on the table selling out so far in advance.

If I own an apartment building, do I 'leave money on the table' if the place is fully rented out ? You know, someone who needs a place for the night could show up and I could rent them an apartment, right ?

The main attraction is the same as with cabin boats, you take all your stuff with you that makes you comfortable. I think an RV is a great way to live and travel.

Of course, I don't get cabin class boats, either. :dunno:

Spend a third of a million bucks, plus dock fees, and then sit on it drinking every weekend? Most of the people I know with boats like that rarely leave the dock.

I like going places. At least with a motor home, you've got that covered, but I'll take 200 mph at 15,500' over sitting in traffic, any day. :yes:

If I own an apartment building, do I 'leave money on the table' if the place is fully rented out ? You know, someone who needs a place for the night could show up and I could rent them an apartment, right ?

Apartments are a much more glacial (if you will) business to operate at peak efficiency. (We owned one in Iowa.) Thanks largely to those pesky leases you have to sign, things happen in slow motion compared to hotels and other short-term rentals.

But, yes, the same principle applies -- if your apartment sells out too quickly and easily, your rent is set too low. Our goal in Iowa was to set rent such that we always had one unit open. That way we knew the rent was as high as the market could bear.

In a 30-unit building, that math worked out well. When we were filled to capacity, we knew we could jack the rents.

Spend a third of a million bucks, plus dock fees, and then sit on it drinking every weekend? Most of the people I know with boats like that rarely leave the dock.

I like going places. At least with a motor home, you've got that covered, but I'll take 200 mph at 15,500' over sitting in traffic, any day. :yes:

I use all of the above to travel as well as trains, It doesn't much matter, each has their positive qualities that if you enjoy, well then that's a good thing. I do find the best views are in a small plane down low. 3 miles a minute 25' off the trees in the rolling hills of the Ozarks in autumn is pretty spectacular, so is low flying the Tenn Tom. Down in the mountain valleys in Colorado running N-S is fun and beautiful. I oblique photo/videographed a whole lot of that in my Turboed Travelair, that was a good time building contract.

But you never experience the full power of nature until you're at sea, you realize exactly just how insignificant and vulnerable you are.

Apartments are a much more glacial (if you will) business to operate at peak efficiency. (We owned one in Iowa.) Thanks largely to those pesky leases you have to sign, things happen in slow motion compared to hotels and other short-term rentals.

But, yes, the same principle applies -- if your apartment sells out too quickly and easily, your rent is set too low. Our goal in Iowa was to set rent such that we always had one unit open. That way we knew the rent was as high as the market could bear.

In a 30-unit building, that math worked out well. When we were filled to capacity, we knew we could jack the rents.

Do you not see the basic ethical issue there? Did those people start earning more to get their rents jacked with no detriment to them? Did you need to **** someone out of being able to get a little ahead by sucking everything you can from them?

Did you need the extra$$$? Were you in need? Do you see where the edict of assuring maximum profit as the primary and singular directive of business is destructive to society in general? Do you never have enough? How much do you really need? I have everything I need, I have experienced everything I've wanted. I live comfortably, I have nothing.

Let's see, my last boat was a 45' Pilothouse Yacht. Purchased for $125K. I traveled from east coast of Florida (Daytona) around the southern tip through the Keys, up the west coast, across the gulf to Lake Pontchartrain, then back to Mobile, up the Tenn Tom to the Tennessee River. Guess I went a few places. :rolleyes:

Nice thing about the boat was 2 state rooms, 2 full heads, a full galley plus an office that converted to bunks. I could sleep 6 comfortably. Had 3 airconditioning units, hot water heater, 12KW generator, satellite TV.

The boat was great, spent every weekend on it, invited guest over, had cook outs, went out and anchored out, fished, swam, enjoyed friends and family. Even on a slow weekend it was a nice getaway for my family.

Somehow trying to get my family to spend a weekend with me in a hot hangar hanging out with other airport bums wasn't as much fun for them. Same with planning a weekend trip in the plane only having to cancel for bad weather.

Yeah, boating is also a far more social activity than flying, so is the RV world. I've always said that if you want to expand GA you have to provide a much greater social benefit to it, but that goes against the exclusivity allure. How many national parks have fly in campgrounds in the lower 48?

Don't get me wrong -- I LOVE to camp. About once a year, we take our motorhome up to New Braunfels, park by the Comal River, and enjoy a few days of decompression.

And every year we live for a week in a tent next to the plane at OSH.

I'm referring to retired guys hitting the road for months on end in a half-million-dollar rig. What they pay for these epic driving/"camping" journeys is easily more than the same journey in a personal aircraft, staying in the finest hotels.

It doesn't seem to make sense, but as I said, the RV Parks are full while the airports are empty, so it must be just me...

There's something to be said for not having to pack and unpack every time you get to a destination, and I will say this much... I've stayed in some pricey and not so pricey hotels but NOTHING is more comfortable to sleep on than my memory foam mattress.

I'm not a big fan of long drives but there is something to be said for having YOUR OWN STUFF right there with you.

I will be doing the diesel pickup truck with a 5th wheel toy hauler and put the bike and other toys in the back.

I use all of the above to travel as well as trains, It doesn't much matter, each has their positive qualities that if you enjoy, well then that's a good thing. I do find the best views are in a small plane down low. 3 miles a minute 25' off the trees in the rolling hills of the Ozarks in autumn is pretty spectacular, so is low flying the Tenn Tom. Down in the mountain valleys in Colorado running N-S is fun and beautiful. I oblique photo/videographed a whole lot of that in my Turboed Travelair, that was a good time building contract.

But you never experience the full power of nature until you're at sea, you realize exactly just how insignificant and vulnerable you are.
Speaking of trains...Mary and are planning to head back to Europe I'm 2015. This time around we are considering getting a EuRail pass and bopping about the continent. Would you recommend this?

Back