But I am still having problems understanding part of this. Is it allowable to have a landing aircraft physically on the runway if the preceding aircraft is clear of the runway but not past the hold short line?

They do it at APA with us spam cans all the time. Simultaneous T&G also. Usually with a mention from the controller on short final cleared to land if you’re the guy in back, saying, “Spacing is adequate.”

They can do that with smaller airplanes but can not do it with transport category airplanes.
No kidding? Didn’t reslly ever know there was a difference with that scenario.
That said, what exactly constitutes a transport category craft? I may be slow here, but I assume it’s not a small Citation. (though many are classified as transport).

They can do that with smaller airplanes but can not do it with transport category airplanes.
The numbers are different. Separation for arrivals to the same runway are in paragraph 3-10-1 of the Controller Handbook. Paragraph 3-9-6 for departures.

They do it at APA with us spam cans all the time. Simultaneous T&G also. Usually with a mention from the controller on short final cleared to land if you’re the guy in back, saying, “Spacing is adequate.”
Of course, that's on a 10,000' runway.

Hi All,

I'm a new private pilot and had a question regarding exiting a runway with a taxiway that requires a >90 degree turn. I frequent an airport that has a runway exit with approximately a 120 degree turn. I ask ATC for approval and I usually receive an agitated response. I'll gladly keep asking even if they get ****ed off if it is unclear because it's far better than getting violated. Some time ago, my flight instructor was asked to give ATC a phone call as a Southwest pilot when he did something along these lines. His circumstance involved a high-speed taxiway but he wasn't certain if this 90 degree rule applied to all taxiways or just hi-speed. Does anyone have insight to whether ATC approval is required to exit runway that requires a >90 degree turn?

4-3-20. Exiting the Runway After Landing

The following procedures must be followed after landing and reaching taxi speed.

a. Exit the runway without delay at the first available taxiway or on a taxiway as instructed by ATC. Pilots shall not exit the landing runway onto another runway unless authorized by ATC. At airports with an operating control tower, pilots should not stop or reverse course on the runway without first obtaining ATC approval.

Obviously, this isn't the "crime of the century". I just want to know what is technically correct.

A controller would not expect you to take a high speed taxiway in reverse. The next perpendicular or less than 90 exit is what would be anticipated. Not that it would be a big deal but keep in mind that may times they rely on anticipated separation and making a quick stop and a hard turn could mess with that. They may be anticipating you to continue your rollout at a higher speed. Look up "same runway separation" or "runway exiting" in the 7110.65 for more insight from the controller side.

Back