End of my cable problems

I did that learning curve in Navy "A" school circa 1962, If you learned that trial and error method, you should have read the book first. it tells ya how.
Everybody reads the book, it ain't a novel... then you get your hands on it and really learn. I've rejected many over the years.

Yeah Tom, that's exactly what I was implying. :rolleyes:

You are just spring-loaded to being offended most the time aren't ya?

I wasn't caught and if I were, I was ordered to "get rid of it" and I did what I was told. It isn't like I stole them. In those days, you did what you were told without question, whining, or arguing the point. The tools weren't officially government property yet. It was not assigned to a tool box, the tools weren't etched with anything, they were "extra" and therefore not authorized. So the choice was to fail an inspection for having too many tools OR tell some airman who happens to be the first one you see to get rid of them.

When the tools are bought with government funds they are government property, no matter what markings or not. The proper thing for you to do would have been to turn them into DRMO for proper disposal. When they came up for sale bought them, Then you would have proper custody just like Brien23 did with this kit, many many years ago.

(heavy sigh) Tom, I had two stripes at the time and I didn't even know what DRMO was. The guy who told me to "get rid of it" had seven stripes. I did what I was told. No babies were harmed, the taxpayers had already lost their money and I prevented good tools from becoming a pile of rust in the shop's back yard.

For the actual task, they probably won't have anything more than than Tom has (the specific tool manual). But, being a repair station, they will probably have inspection oversight on such tasks.
How many times have you seen the FBO supervisor allow repairmen operate alone? Yeah,,,, He's done that before, he's OK! Many folks here ***** like hell when the FBO screws up their aircraft, then turn right around and insist that their cables be built by the folks that are famous for screwing up their aircraft.

The only thing a FBO can do better than an A&P, is pay their insurance company.

(heavy sigh) Tom, I had two stripes at the time and I didn't even know what DRMO was. The guy who told me to "get rid of it" had seven stripes. I did what I was told. No babies were harmed, the taxpayers had already lost their money and I prevented good tools from becoming a pile of rust in the shop's back yard.
Do you get the feeling you are being messed with yet?

No, but I get the feeling you now realize I wasn't accusing you of anything.

very nice set. how many ton press do you use/need? also always wondered what the spec is for the length of the loose end or whatever its called and is there prescribed method or cap that can be pressed on the end to stop it from unraveling?
I'm assuming you are talking about how much can protrude past the end of a swagged ball, because nothing protrudes out of a shank type terminal end.
The measurement given in the manual is a maximum that can stick out. and it varies per cable size, so we grind them smooth, and see how much it has slipped during the pull test. none is allowed. Of course this does not apply to a ball swaged on a run.

I'm assuming you are talking about how much can protrude past the end of a swagged ball, because nothing protrudes out of a shank type terminal end.
The measurement given in the manual is a maximum that can stick out. and it varies per cable size, so we grind them smooth, and see how much it has slipped during the pull test. none is allowed. Of course this does not apply to a ball swaged on a run.
OK, Tom might actually not be BS'ing. He's finally supplied evidence that he may have experience with this.

Probably the old NAVY chief that taught you may have :) we are workers before we made chief.

I had a retired MCPO for a boss when I worked in industrial construction for Brown & Root.

That crusty ol' sumbitch really did know everything! :D

OK, Tom might actually not be BS'ing. He's finally supplied evidence that he may have experience with this.
Here's the first off the newly polished dies.

Attachments

• 20161030_190611.jpg
    20161030_190611.jpg
    127.2 KB · Views: 38
  • 20161030_190529.jpg
    20161030_190529.jpg
    110.5 KB · Views: 39
  • 20161030_190537.jpg
    20161030_190537.jpg
    146.4 KB · Views: 37
I had a retired MCPO for a boss when I worked in industrial construction for Brown & Root.

That crusty ol' sumbitch really did know everything! :D
AVCM, AMCM, ADCM, BMCM? ??? what?

Seems like a lot of Poo Poo on Tom, there is no one else in the area N. of Seattle that has one of these machines. I expect Tom will be very busy making cables for a lot of people that will appreciate it.

I was amaised at how well the cable cutter dies worked. I don't believe they have ever been used. dirty has they could be but cleaned up great, work like new

Seems like a lot of Poo Poo on Tom, there is no one else in the area N. of Seattle that has one of these machines. I expect Tom will be very busy making cables for a lot of people that will appreciate it.
I got two customers today. from the Skyline marine.

Tom i was trying to make nice after busting you on the prop to the head thread. i think you are a target here because you dont keep on point . i asked you 3 legit questions and got no answers . i am talking aircraft specs , not boat ****. you could spend a lot less time typing if you did not get sucked into off TOPIC conversations. my gut says you are a good wrench, but you keep shooting your self in the foot . why do you do that? i am sure you add value to this site but sometimes i just say wtf is going on here.

Tom i was trying to make nice after busting you on the prop to the head thread. i think you are a target here because you dont keep on point . i asked you 3 legit questions and got no answers . i am talking aircraft specs , not boat ****. you could spend a lot less time typing if you did not get sucked into off TOPIC conversations. my gut says you are a good wrench, but you keep shooting your self in the foot . why do you do that? i am sure you add value to this site but sometimes i just say wtf is going on here.
Maybe you don't understand thread drift is a way of the page ?

tom, every one of your threads/posts you step on your own Johnson wtf man . you need help.

Did something similar except I was told to take the parts out behind the base and dump them in the swamp. They were a pick up truck load of 8-10" cast iron fittings that we had inherited from a contractor on base when we took over what they had been doing. Damn stuff is probably still there unless the swamp dried up. Yup, a couple stripes and an E7 tells to do it, you did it.

I buy bulk wire rope and terminals only from McFarlane, all comes with tracability.

Back