Display Name

Display name:
Tom-D
bought it today.

Attachments

• 20161028_174953.jpg
    20161028_174953.jpg
    129.7 KB · Views: 252
Good to see the right tools in the hands of a true artisan. I'd let you work on an airplane of mine any day. Glad to see guys like you keeping the old airplanes flying.

That's a good start. Did it come with the manual and go-no go gauges? You can use a caliper in lieu of the go-no go. You'll also need to proof load them after they are swedged.

That's a good start. Did it come with the manual and go-no go gauges? You can use a caliper in lieu of the go-no go. You'll also need to proof load them after they are swedged.
it is the total kit with all components in place. 1/16th to 1/2 Ball, shank, and cutters. plus books and gauges.

The rest of the story >
When I first came to NAS Whidbey, I was working in AIMD awaiting the squadron to form up, and thus I was in charge of the Airframe shop, and it was a mess. I undertook the clean up and re-organizing the shop. I sorted out a complete swagger kit with spares and kept it in the A/F shop and loaded a old kit box with every thing we could pack into it. and sent it to DRMO. That was back in the 70s I never saw or heard of this kit again until I got back into the GA maintenance again in the 90s. That's when I met PA-23, and found he had bought this old kit from DRMO. then lent it to the guy I had build all my cables from then until recently when he went out of business.
When I had need of cables for the V-EZ I started looking for the kit he had, I had feelers out every where, today he calls me and tells me he still had the kit stored. and did I want it? OH HEll YES! took most of the day getting it and paying a stupid low price for it.
But now we be in the cable making business :)

That's why I'd buy from a reputable repair station.....vs a do it yourself garage built set.:confused:
The cables you buy are built with the same type machine as mine and tested with the same type tester as I use. The only thing you gain is a deep pocket to sue.

very nice set. how many ton press do you use/need? also always wondered what the spec is for the length of the loose end or whatever its called and is there prescribed method or cap that can be pressed on the end to stop it from unraveling?

It ain the machine I'd be concerned with....
The cables you buy are built with the same type machine as mine and tested with the same type tester as I use. The only thing you gain is a deep pocket to sue.

It ain the machine I'd be concerned with....
But you wouldn't worry about a repairman hired yesterday to build your cables in an FBO, as long as you have a deep pocket to sue.

But you wouldn't worry about a repairman hired yesterday to build your cables in an FBO, as long as you have a deep pocket to sue.
correct....they have approved procedures and supervision to back it up. :D

For the actual task, they probably won't have anything more than than Tom has (the specific tool manual). But, being a repair station, they will probably have inspection oversight on such tasks.

Tom your story reminded me of my experience when I was a jet engine mechanic based on Kadena Air Base, Okinawa. We were going through an inspection and the branch chief caught me walking by at the right time and from under his desk, he pulled out a box of assorted, brand new, Snap-On tools that was "extra" and not on the books. At the risk of the inspection team finding it he told me to "get rid of it." When I asked what he wanted me to do with it he just repeated himself, "get rid of it."

So I did - in the trunk of my car. I still have them today. The government can be so wasteful.

correct....they have approved procedures and supervision to back it up. :D
And I don't ? they follow the book provided with the kit same as I do. And that is the only procedure approved by the FAA. who's got the motive to the do it right? me or a untrained repairman in a FBO?

In my case it was take them home or they'd get thrown away in the garbage or buried somewhere out back of the shop.

And I don't ? they follow the book provided with the kit same as I do. And that is the only procedure approved by the FAA. who's got the motive to the do it right? me or a untrained repairman in a FBO?
where did you get your training and approval?...after all what possibly could go wrong? :D

I would never admit I have tools that I was told to get rid of when the 49th TFW switched over from F-4 to F-15... never.
I bought an approved kit, its history is no issue. Lots of DRMO'ed equipment used today in the GA community. this is no different.

Yeah, that's my story.
When you buy a new kit, you'll buy it at the same place the NAVY did. just because this kit was once owned by the US gov has no issue here .

Tom your story reminded me of my experience when I was a jet engine mechanic based on Kadena Air Base, Okinawa. We were going through an inspection and the branch chief caught me walking by at the right time and from under his desk, he pulled out a box of assorted, brand new, Snap-On tools that was "extra" and not on the books. At the risk of the inspection team finding it he told me to "get rid of it." When I asked what he wanted me to do with it he just repeated himself, "get rid of it."

So I did - in the trunk of my car. I still have them today. The government can be so wasteful.
Are you implying I stole this kit?
Had you been caught removing gov property you'd not be here today.

Trust me, I know how to use it. you better buy a quantity of terminal ends because I'm sure you're going to ruin some learning!!! LOL
I did that learning curve in Navy "A" school circa 1962, If you learned that trial and error method, you should have read the book first. it tells ya how.

Yeah Tom, that's exactly what I was implying. :rolleyes:

You are just spring-loaded to being offended most the time aren't ya?

I wasn't caught and if I were, I was ordered to "get rid of it" and I did what I was told. It isn't like I stole them. In those days, you did what you were told without question, whining, or arguing the point. The tools weren't officially government property yet. It was not assigned to a tool box, the tools weren't etched with anything, they were "extra" and therefore not authorized. So the choice was to fail an inspection for having too many tools OR tell some airman who happens to be the first one you see to get rid of them.

Back