Cremation or burial when you die

I knew a guy in the commercial real estate business in New York who was so crooked that when he died, they had to screw him into the ground!

-Skip

Actually Bob is mostly right, but there is one more step. If you want a certain step taken after your death from burial/cremation to organ donation, it behooves you to let your next of kins who might be around know your wishes. Hospitals, for example, will not usually harvest organs even if the deceased is listed as a donor, if the relatives protest.

One addition to Ron's excellent comment before we drive this into the ground (little cemetery humor there): Be sure that your relatives are aware of your wishes. If you decide on cremation and some shirt-tail kin thinks that there was no need for haste there could be some post-mortem hard feelings.

Bob

And meanwhile in the news a crematorium burned today in Cincinnati.

I wouldn't mind being launched on a rocket into a black hole. Someone's gotta figure out what's on the other side...

Dark humor time:

Cremation or burial? That depends on how hard the aircraft hits, how soft the surface is, and whether or not there's a post-crash fire.

Yikes. LOL.

Dark humor time:

Cremation or burial? That depends on how hard the aircraft hits, how soft the surface is, and whether or not there's a post-crash fire.

Yikes. LOL.

Ooo! A twofer! Hard crash into soft soil WITH a post crash fire!

Burial. And we've already bought our plots, so we know where we'll be planted.

I'd vote cremation, but seeing as how I'll be dead, I decided to let my survivors decide. I know my wife wants me to be planted in the ground. (I just hope she can wait until I'm actually dead, first.)

If I don't get cremated in a crater full of burning airplane parts.....

I'd prefer to be buried. However, I'd much prefer to build my own pine box and be buried in the dirt someplace where I can decompose and provide some useful organic matter to the earth, instead of embalmed and "buried" in a concrete vault where my preserved carcass has no value. I guess you can't do that these days, but I feel like actually becoming part of the earth again is the way it's supposed to be. Circle of life kind of thing.

"...since from it you were taken; for dust you are and to dust you will return."

Actually, I think I just changed my mind on what I want. I want to be composted, have somebody use the compost to grow some vegetables, serve the veggies to my friends without telling them, then when they are all full from the feast, tell them they just ate Andrew.....and liked it.

Maybe the dudes from Breaking Bad could dissolve me in a barrel. Haha.

I think the Mythbusters busted that one, but I happen to know where you can get some hydrofluoric acid in bulk if you want to give it the ol' college try.

My husband and I were just talking about this last night. As were going through the final stages of life for his grandma. This will be funeral #3 in seven years. He says dump me in the ground and carry on with life. Sweet. Will do. By then we'll probably be hermits anyway and no one would show up to a viewing.

Haven't decided. I've known people who wanted cremation and ashes spread, but then changed their minds after thinking about their grandkid who wanted to be able to visit their gravesite. There's something to be said about being able to go visit "dad"/"mom"/"grandpa"/whoever.

Different things for different people.

My Dad was cremated and we had his ashes interred in the plot my parents bought many years ago when my sister passed...you can have your ashes "buried"

I suppose it depends on fuel remaining, angle of attack and velocity.

mosoleum! (or however you spell it) who wants to be underground or burned? I also want a flap on my grave sight that just urges the passerby to flip it up, and in it i want "all those who read this will be haunted my ghost" just to give a little scare after im gone

Could always go with the above-ground option:

ask-great-pyramid-iStock_000015224988Large-E.jpeg

1.) I won't care, 'cause I'm dead.
2.) I originally thought cremation, because I believe God's green spaces should be for the living, like parks for kids to play in, not somber areas where old bones lie.
3.) But, now having a child, maybe she might want a place to come visit and reflect. I suppose I should ask her someday.

She can sent your ashes on top of the TV and talk to you everyday... Better than hanging out at a spooky graveyard.

She can sent your ashes on top of the TV and talk to you everyday... Better than hanging out at a spooky graveyard.

I think @Bill Jennings 's point is that he's more likely to ask his daughter what she'd prefer.

My wife's boss found a local program where you can donate your body and the forensic students learn about how to determine things by watching you decompose.
That sounds cool but I have the thought that there will no doubt be a point where a group of NCIS wannabe students are laughing at my genitals under their breath.

That can't be the first time co-eds laughed at your genitals. ;)

:D

Could I be cremated but have my next of kin secretly shove as many m-80s and black cats in my pockets as would possibly fit beforehand?

Hell no. Maybe in a Duke. :)

I had to look it up. Very interesting, especially the philosophical points about disposing of the body in "the most generous way possible" by providing food to scavenger or other animals.

Everyone's different, and every family is different.

My grandparents are buried next to eachother. My grandfather was buried in 1986, my grandmother in 2007. My grandmother never "visited" my grandfather until she moved into the plot next door. She didn't like seeing her name there. In fact, she was so against it that the one time my mom took me after much insisting on my part (I think I was about 10 or 12) we had to lie to my grandmother about what we were doing as we were visiting her. I was instructed not to tell my grandmother.

The next time I went was when it was my grandmother's turn.

To my knowledge, nobody else has shown up before or since. Maybe my cousin who lives in Richmond has, but I doubt it. I highly doubt I will ever go again. I would have to be in Richmond with some time to kill (pun intended).

I know that some families make traditions of visiting and placing flowers at graves every so often, and for those families I get it and it makes sense. This is especially the case if you have a family that is born and dies in a town and doesn't disperse for generations. My family has not been that way for generations, and I doubt if our kids will be that way. So burn me and send my ashes out to sea.
About 10 yrs ago my uncle died (buffalo, ny - we left in 1961 and moved to Arizona) Jewish funeral the burial at the cemetary. Many, many attending. It was a weekly occurence that my aunt would visit the graves - parents, etc. One of the many who attended the burial was wandering around and asked where my father was buried. I replied he was buried in Teaxs with my mother and her family.....it's warmer than Buffalo.

Back