Covid-19 shelter-in-place rules and GA

So effectively all we really have is closed restaurants/bars and a request to stay home as much as possible.

Well, the economic pain is more than just that - majority of contractors that do not handle emergencies are not working , pretty much the entire service sector that isn’t related to food or healthcare is down.

The joke going around here since they closed the bars: "I'm putting a bottle of booze in each room so I can go bar hopping."

a128b461e0a28193f90787ca508bdfca.jpg

Not under the statewide lockdown.
I do not understand your answer. I said more people are likely to drive into Steamboat than fly in in a C-172. Are you saying that virtually no one can drive in Colorado now or at least into Steamboat. Plenty of cars on the road here around Snowmass. No lockdown that I can see here. Denver might as well be in Kansas compared to the Western Slope.

Denver might as well be in Kansas compared to the Western Slope.
You guys on the other side of the rocks do seem be the forgotten step children. Start flying tons of lighted drones around midnight for a few days and I guarantee you will get noticed. ;)

I went flying today after work. Seemed us tailwheel pilots were out in force but the fast "goin' places" machines were conspicuously absent. 'Twas a beautiful evening for flying.

I do not understand your answer. I said more people are likely to drive into Steamboat than fly in in a C-172. Are you saying that virtually no one can drive in Colorado now or at least into Steamboat. Plenty of cars on the road here around Snowmass. No lockdown that I can see here. Denver might as well be in Kansas compared to the Western Slope.
This weekend, only Sunday looks flyable in the Denver area. I might try to get some flight time in. Either way, I need to go out to the hangar and do some cleaning.

I thought people in small towns didn't want city folk coming there, either by car or airplane, for fear of them bringing the virus and overwhelming their small hospitals.

I thought people in small towns didn't want city folk coming there, either by car or airplane, for fear of them bringing the virus and overwhelming their small hospitals.
The tiny Glenwood Springs airport with its 3300' runway and high altitude runway in a narrow canyon isn't going to bring more than a handful of people but the roads, it's on I-70, could easily bring in ten of thousands so why close the airport?

The tiny Glenwood Springs airport with its 3300' runway and high altitude runway in a narrow canyon isn't going to bring more than a handful of people but the roads, it's on I-70, could easily bring in ten of thousands so why close the airport?
I have flown into Glenwood Springs airport as the pilot of a King Air air ambulance. Then the company decided there was too much risk and decided to use Rifle Garfield County instead. I mention this because I have seen Glenwood’s very small hospital and airport. I can’t imagine people using it for other than recreational activity. I didn't read why the airport was closed, but it apparently is not because the state has closed airports. I read posts where other Coloradans are out flying.

Last edited:
If anyone cares, GA was shutdown in Idaho yesterday by our moronic gov.
Unless he is restricting travel into or out of the state via GA it is my understanding that no state entity can restrict aviation including "Recreational". This is because it falls under the CISA Covid-19 Transportation sector which specifically indicates "Recreational" aviation is allowed. Plus your avionics and mechanics shops can remain open so you could fly and get your annual done or avionics installed or pitot static test.

Our state just started a Shelter In Place. I just flew a friend back from dropping his plane off for the annual. The mechanic shop / FBO isn't closing.

We just posted the CISA critical sector diagram and the Transportation sector wording on our airport door.

We've canceled EAA meetings and a new flight club meeting. No one is flying with others or doing group stuff. I wouldn't fly to flaunt it. But flying to stay proficient or warm it up for an oil change or to see the spring colors changing shouldn't have to stop. I'm keeping a can of Clorox wipes in the plane if I need to land for fuel at a 100LL self serve.

EDIT: This information is no longer correct. See post # 253 by @asicer

Last edited:
Unless he is restricting travel into or out of the state via GA it is my understanding that no state entity can restrict aviation including "Recreational". This is because it falls under the CISA Covid-19 Transportation sector which specifically indicates "Recreational" aviation is allowed. Plus your avionics and mechanics shops can remain open so you could fly and get your annual done or avionics installed or pitot static test.

Our state just started a Shelter In Place. I just flew a friend back from dropping his plane off for the annual. The mechanic shop / FBO isn't closing.

We just posted the CISA critical sector diagram and the Transportation sector wording on our airport door.

We've canceled EAA meetings and a new flight club meeting. No one is flying with others or doing group stuff. I wouldn't fly to flaunt it. But flying to stay proficient or warm it up for an oil change or to see the spring colors changing shouldn't have to stop. I'm keeping a can of Clorox wipes in the plane if I need to land for fuel at a 100LL self serve.

Do you have a reference for this?

I’m an instructor.. Our club is closed however I have one or two aircraft owners I’d like to continue flying with. Our state order exempts anything covered under CISA

This is because it falls under the CISA Covid-19 Transportation sector which specifically indicates "Recreational" aviation is allowed.
DHS published a revised COVID19-specific guidance letter that no longer includes recreational aircraft. However, it also states that it is strictly advisory and is not a federal directive or standard. Your state and county is ultimately in charge of COVID-19 response actions.

https://www.cisa.gov/sites/default/..._Critical_Infrastructure_Workforce_508C_0.pdf

Has anyone else's fling club prohibited the use of club aircraft during these lockdowns

Yes, Alameda Aero Club, across from my hangar, cleared the schedule. They're working on supplies and procedures for sanitizing the planes between renters... then they plan to reopen for non-instructional flights, immediate household passengers only.

Rain, Rain go away.
Come again some time Monday through Friday when I'm stuck at indoors having to work from home anyway.

upload_2020-3-28_11-23-6.png

Found a reference. flight schools and recreational aircraft are defined as critical infrastructure during this time by CISA.

You can follow the link below to 16 critical infrastructure sectors > transportation systems sector > sector overview

https://www.cisa.gov/identifying-critical-infrastructure-during-covid-19
I think that list is superseded by the March 23 guidance letter:
https://www.cisa.gov/sites/default/..._Critical_Infrastructure_Workforce_508C_0.pdf

NY might get under a 2 week quarantine order. Legally can you fly over a state that’s under a quarantine order. Logic says yes, but legal and logic seldom meets.

NY might get under a 2 week quarantine order. Legally can you fly over a state that’s under a quarantine order. Logic says yes, but legal and logic seldom meets.
How are they going to catch you? And how can they possible think you could spread the virus by simply overflying the state?

They would have to shut down airline flights also.

How are they going to catch you? And how can they possible think you could spread the virus by simply overflying the state?

They would have to shut down airline flights also.

Well, the whole idea of this quarantine is to ensure people from NY don’t go anywhere or outside people don’t get in. That’s means they will have to close down commercial air travel. How does that affect private aircraft travel? Don’t know how this is all going to play out. Since we don’t go thru TSA and all, they can’t stop me from taking off from NY and going to FL. So if they really want to lock it down, they will have to shut down the airspace ?

I think that list is superseded by the March 23 guidance letter:
Not sure that's a supercision. One identifies critical infrastructure and the other identifies specific work roles that support the infrastructure. For example, an A&P is identified as a critical worker that supports the sector (which includes GA). Recreational flying is not "work" so recreational pilots are not critical workers.

Another way to look at it, that letter is superseded by the current info on their website
Not sure that's a supercision. One identifies critical infrastructure and the other identifies specific work roles that support the infrastructure. For example, an A&P is identified as a critical worker that supports the sector (which includes GA). Recreational flying is not "work" so recreational pilots are not critical workers.
Yeah, clear as mud as to which is current and which is superseded.

However, both the website and letter both say that they are advisory in nature. Your state and local government are the ultimate authority.

Around here, there seems to be a trend toward people putting their own groceries in their reusable bags.
I ran into this yesterday at the local Safeway when I brought my own reusable bags, so I bagged my own groceries. The checkout clerk did say that they were waiving the usual $.10/paper bag charge if I wanted her to bag.

Does Lemon Pledge have any effect on the virus?

Does my barreling through the air at 165mph forcing air through my cabin put me in more contact with any free virus in the air than the average non-aviator?

How can me and the wife have “relations” while the kids are at home 24/7?

Inquiring minds want to know...

Does my barreling through the air at 165mph forcing air through my cabin put me in more contact with any free virus in the air than the average non-aviator?

Inquiring minds want to know...

1. It makes it shinier
2. Viruses are VFR only and restricted to 400' AGL just like drones
3. Quietly

I don't know about Lemon Pledge, but according to This Article Life Sciences Journal Pre-proof published online on March 23, 2020, melatonin very well may. PDF download is free.

Abstract (Fair Use) said:
This article summarizes the likely benefits of melatonin in the attenuation of COVID-19 based on its putative pathogenesis. The recent outbreak of COVID-19 has become a pandemic with tens of thousands of infected patients. Based on clinical features, pathology, the pathogenesis of acute respiratory disorder induced by either highly homogenous coronaviruses or other pathogens, the evidence suggests that excessive inflammation, oxidation, and an exaggerated immune response very likely contribute to COVID-19 pathology. This leads to a cytokine storm and subsequent progression to acute lung injury (ALI)/acute respiratory distress syndrome (ARDS) and often death. Melatonin, a well-known anti-inflammatory and anti-oxidative molecule, is protective against ALI/ARDS caused by viral and other pathogens. Melatonin is effective in critical care patients by reducing vessel permeability, anxiety, sedation use, and improving sleeping quality, which might also be beneficial for better clinical outcomes for COVID-19 patients. Notably, melatonin has a high safety profile. There is significant data showing that melatonin limits virus-related diseases and would also likely be beneficial in COVID-19 patients. Additional experiments and clinical studies are required to confirm this speculation.

Last edited:

This really has more to do with whether you want them to see it than...

... LOL!

Poor dears, scarred for life by mom and dad’s behavior during the 2020 Pandemic... ha.

DHS published a revised COVID19-specific guidance letter that no longer includes recreational aircraft. However, it also states that it is strictly advisory and is not a federal directive or standard. Your state and county is ultimately in charge of COVID-19 response actions.

Thanks for posting this. Obviously they have revised things so my previous post doesn't apply - I will edit it.

I have flown into Glenwood Springs airport as the pilot of a King Air air ambulance. Then the company decided there was too much risk and decided to use Rifle Garfield County instead. I mention this because I have seen Glenwood’s very small hospital and airport. I can’t imagine people using it for other than recreational activity. I didn't read why the airport was closed, but it apparently is not because the state has closed airports. I read posts where other Coloradans are out flying.
Interesting....there's a NOTAM that the airport is closed, but nothing on the airport website. Not the best decision.

Interesting....there's a NOTAM that the airport is closed, but nothing on the airport website. Not the best decision.
KGWS NOTAMS (realized I haven't looked up a NOTAM in 3 years, surprised I could pull it off!)
GWS 03/769 GWS AD AP CLSD(Airport Closed) EXC MEDEVAC AND 1HR PPR 970-384-6413 2003252227-2004192359
GWS 03/781 GWS COM REMOTE COM OUTLET 122.2 U/S (Unserviceable) 2004021700-2004022100

Call and ask!

KGWS NOTAMS (realized I haven't looked up a NOTAM in 3 years, surprised I could pull it off!)
GWS 03/769 GWS AD AP CLSD(Airport Closed) EXC MEDEVAC AND 1HR PPR 970-384-6413 2003252227-2004192359
GWS 03/781 GWS COM REMOTE COM OUTLET 122.2 U/S (Unserviceable) 2004021700-2004022100

Call and ask!
Nah....I just pulled up KGWS on airnav and clicked the NOTAM button.

The airport is semi-closed since I will be allowed to depart which should make the town happy. The only excuse to close is to keep "foreigners" out from bringing in disease which is ridiculous since it's already there or to keep these undesirables from using the hospital. Of course the whole thing is either stupidity or political grandstanding since GWS is right on I-70. Care to speculate on the potential possible "immigration" between either entrances?

It's not the only one. It'as identical to one here about the same date. I took a quick look at the Garfield County website and like a similar GA airport here in North Carolina, the restricted use is based on a county decision to close county facilities to the general public to avoid spread. In the case of ours, it's the county which contains the Outer Banks so it didn't have the winter visitor population Garfield has, and it still has zero confirmed cases.

It's not the only one. It'as identical to one here about the same date. I took a quick look at the Garfield County website and like a similar GA airport here in North Carolina, the restricted use is based on a county decision to close county facilities to the general public to avoid spread. In the case of ours, it's the county which contains the Outer Banks so it didn't have the winter visitor population Garfield has, and it still has zero confirmed cases.
And Garfield County airport is also right on I-70. 10,000/hour vs. 10/hour.

@Sinistar, do you still have the previous guidance? If so, may I please have a copy?
@dell30rb posted a link to the original website link which called out Recreational Aviation. This is what I was referring to. See his quote below for link.

Found a reference. flight schools and recreational aircraft are defined as critical infrastructure during this time by CISA.

You can follow the link below to 16 critical infrastructure sectors > transportation systems sector > sector overview

https://www.cisa.gov/identifying-critical-infrastructure-during-covid-19

Front Range FBO is closed but the airport is still in operation. Leadville’s open only for helicopters. Those are the only closures I could find.

I assume everyone got this email yesterday 3/28 from the FAA. After all theses years, they still haven’t learned to use the caps unlock key.

Special Notice COVID-19 advisory
Notice Number: NOTC0072

SPECIAL NOTICE.. OPERATORS ARE ADVISED THAT,IN RESPONSE TO THE COVID-19 CRISIS, SOME STATE AND LOCAL GOVERNMENTS HAVE IMPLEMENTED QUARANTINE AND SHELTER IN PLACE ORDERS THAT COULD AFFECT DEBOARDING PERSONS UPON ARRIVALS AT AIRPORTS WITHIN THEIR BORDERS. PILOTS AND OPERATORS SHOULD FAMILIARIZE THEMSELVES WITH ANY SUCH ORDERS THAT MAY BE IN EFFECT AT THEIR ARRIVAL AIRPORTS PRIOR TO DEPARTURE.

@dell30rb posted a link to the original website link which called out Recreational Aviation. This is what I was referring to. See his quote below for link.
That page still refers to "recreational aircraft (manned and unmanned) and a wide-variety of support services, such as aircraft repair stations, fueling facilities, navigation aids, and flight schools" as part of the overall "Aviation Sector." That makes sense given the broad reach of CISA and Homeland Security. GA airports and pilots are indeed critical in times of national disaster, as the GA response to the devastation of the hurricanes in the past few years clearly demonstrates.

But the earliest version of the COVID-19 guidance I've seen (March 19, updated March 28), does not refer to recreational aviation nor to flight schools in it's drill down of services and workers critical when the goal is avoiding spread of the disease.

Front Range FBO is closed but the airport is still in operation. Leadville’s open only for helicopters. Those are the only closures I could find.
I'm thinking nationally, not locally.

Back