Covid-19 shelter-in-place rules and GA

Yeah I think most people get that but we all know that person who thinks this is the end of days and that other person who thinks it's a big hoax.

I did get one very close to home data point on this though from a source I actually find significant. My kid had a regularly scheduled checkup and immunization visit scheduled tomorrow. I'd assumed that they'd have canceled it but we called today and they did not- they said we could cancel if we wanted but immunizations are important and precautions were being taken at the Dr's office. To me if an actual doctor thinks the risk is low enough to keep seeing non-emergency patients that definitely reassures me that there's no need to go nuts over this.

That doctor has a new G6 SR22 to pay for, of course he isn’t canceling appointments!

Current rates are all over the place and will only get lower.

The problem is that rates depend on a lot of factors other than the nature of the virus itself.

Once a region's healthcare system is overwhelmed due to the number of cases, the mortality rate seems to go up sharply. The data implies that this virus has a pretty low (<1%) mortality rate if modern medical treatment is available for everyone who is infected and has serious complications, but once that system is overwhelmed, we're somewhere in the high single digits (like Italy). It's most likely that that's one of the main factors in why the current rates are all over the place.

So while the total number of cases are low- no big deal. Give it another week or two and we'll see how the healthcare system fares.

I got a Division Award (2nd highest personal award) at Intel for the efforts I put in ensuring that our laboratory's equipment was not going to be impacted by Y2K. None was, but we had to make sure. It took a while to check them all, it was a real concern.
We had a similar effort going on a KLA-Tencor as I recall.

Last night I got a text message from one of my buddies that a mutual friend, a retired Continental Airlines captain living in Palm Springs, has been hospitalized for a week at Desert Regional Medical Center with Covid-19 infection. He's in an induced coma in ICU and on a ventilator. He is 72 and has been the picture of perfect health for the twenty years I've known him. This morning I confirmed this with a CFI friend in Palm Springs.

Stay safe everybody.

Last edited:
I know the longer this thing goes on the more strange things people will do to protect themselves or not and take the not me road. People for years have not taken the fly shots, any information on those in ICU that took the shots or did not take them over the years. I know this virus is not the same as the past flu just would like to know if any study of those that did take the shots over the years and those that did not.

People for years have not taken the fly shots, any information on those in ICU that took the shots or did not take them over the years. I know this virus is not the same as the past flu just would like to know if any study of those that did take the shots over the years and those that did not.
Its not a flu. From what I've seen, there is not a flu shot on the planet that would have any effect on it.

If anyone cares, GA was shutdown in Idaho yesterday by our moronic gov.

WRT "flattening the curve", what everyone fails to understand is that it's impossible to get the curve "flat" enough. Given that in my state there are only 2,470 hospital beds and that the COVID-19 hospitalization rate is 20.7% - 31.4% the hospitals will be overwhelmed with just 12,350 or fewer cases...

The Glenwood Springs CO airport is closed to all but emergency flights but I will be allowed to depart to go home to AZ. Can any one explain what good this does anybody? Maybe a politician's ego benefits?

Its not a flu. From what I've seen, there is not a flu shot on the planet that would have any effect on it.

This has been known for weeks. But people want to say they know better and end up killing off other people.

I'm going to fly this weekend if the weather is nice. I just request that everyone please stay 6' away from my aeroplane. Thanks!

WRT "flattening the curve", what everyone fails to understand is that it's impossible to get the curve "flat" enough. Given that in my state there are only 2,470 hospital beds and that the COVID-19 hospitalization rate is 20.7% - 31.4% the hospitals will be overwhelmed with just 12,350 or fewer cases...

Come to Texas. Not only is GA allowed, but gun stores are even open as essential businesses. ‘Merica. Before someone blows a gasket, keep in mind we are the second most populous state and yet have less than 1/30th of the Covid cases as NY. We were also one of the first places to receive patients from overseas. ...And we don’t have people living on top of one another like a chicken farm here.

I am surprised. I would not have thought that Idaho would have gone that way.

Come to Texas. Not only is GA allowed, but gun stores are even open as essential businesses. ‘Merica. Before someone blows a gasket, keep in mind we are the second most populous state and yet have less than 1/30th of the Covid cases as NY. We were also one of the first places to receive patients from overseas. ...And we don’t have people living on top of one another like a chicken farm here.
Liking Texas. Just wish the sailing was better. So far, so good in NC.

Good for your governor. In case you aren’t getting the message, stay home.

Liking Texas. Just wish the sailing was better. So far, so good in NC.
I see you’re in New Bern. Awesome little town. Have some great friends there. I told my wife that’s where I’d want to be if we ever lived back east again. One could retire there and be able to fly, fish, and sail...affordably! You might like Rockport, TX if you look to relocate. A number of private hangars on the water.

The Glenwood Springs CO airport is closed to all but emergency flights but I will be allowed to depart to go home to AZ. Can any one explain what good this does anybody? Maybe a politician's ego benefits?

@denverpilot actually had a reasonable explanation for that one on Facebook... Wish I could remember what it was. :rofl: Maybe he can share it here...

Good for your governor. In case you aren’t getting the message, stay home.
Oh I get the message, I'm just not as gullible as the rest of you that think staying at home will make a difference. Even IF you were able to substantially decrease the infection rate to almost zero it is impossible to reach zero and then 60 days later we're right back to where we started. Lather, rinse repeat. Is that a cycle you want to perpetuate?

I'd like to know more about this..... what jurisdiction does a governor have over airspace? I tried to search for some news on it, but just found the shelter in place announcement that looks the same as every other state.

I'd like to know more about this..... what jurisdiction does a governor have over airspace? I tried to search for some news on it, but just found the shelter in place announcement that looks the same as every other state.

GA is so insignificant in terms of overall numbers that in most states probably doesn’t even come on the radar for officials when making their recommendations.

Oh I get the message, I'm just not as gullible as the rest of you that think staying at home will make a difference. Even IF you were able to substantially decrease the infection rate to almost zero it is impossible to reach zero and then 60 days later we're right back to where we started. Lather, rinse repeat. Is that a cycle you want to perpetuate?

It not about reducing the infection rate, It is about spreading the rate over time.

I see you’re in New Bern. Awesome little town. Have some great friends there. I told my wife that’s where I’d want to be if we ever lived back east again. One could retire there and be able to fly, fish, and sail...affordably! You might like Rockport, TX if you look to relocate. A number of private hangars on the water.
Yes, We found it about 25 years ago. I can do all of this things and more. But, Hey, don’t tell anyone.

I was just remembering the SARS outbreak of 15 years ago. )COVID-19 is a SARS virus, that is, it causes Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome.)
The media did make a big deal of it, and many thought it was overblown, but it didn't have the ability to spread as this new one does. Look at the numbers: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2002–2004_SARS_outbreak
Then look at any 'counter' on the interwebs. The worst single day of this pandemic will make the entire 2004 outbreak look pretty weak.

Does anyone know if there are organizations looking for pilots to help fly supplies/materials for Covid-19?
This was brought up at the beginning - the answer is NO.
AngelFlight is limiting flights and ground travel, only for emergencies and only if driver/pilot is willing and can do some sort of disinfecting. CAP is on alert with restrictions as per the USAF (in Colorado, CAP belongs not only to the USAF but is also State emergency services). Some CAP units are flying testing supplies but only when requested. For the most part, CAP and AngelFlight are following state requests/guidelines/whatever to stay home.
They are most certainly not doing their job ... they are mostly spreading panic without any justification.

The infectious disease experts have no reliable data to work with and are constant adjusting critical ratios as the data keeps coming in. We are bouncing between 8% fatality rate and 0.3% with only educated guesses at this point.
And in any case , these experts are only one side of the equation and will always tend to recommend most draconian solutions because their measuring stick is one dimensional I.e they don’t care nor will be held responsible for effects of such measures that could potentially result in societal collapse due to economic and social reasons.

At this point there is no way to say who is right , will have to resolve that question a few months down the line.
I'm reminded of the Tom Clancy novel "Executive Orders". Jack Ryan assumes POTUS when an ebola-type pandemic hits the US. He shuts down everything, including cross-state travel. When informed that he might be violating multiple federal laws, his response was "when this is over, they can arrest me but I'd rather get arrested for this than for not doing anything" or something like that.

This was brought up at the beginning - the answer is NO.
AngelFlight is limiting flights and ground travel, only for emergencies and only if driver/pilot is willing and can do some sort of disinfecting. CAP is on alert with restrictions as per the USAF (in Colorado, CAP belongs not only to the USAF but is also State emergency services). Some CAP units are flying testing supplies but only when requested. For the most part, CAP and AngelFlight are following state requests/guidelines/whatever to stay home.

I'm reminded of the Tom Clancy novel "Executive Orders". Jack Ryan assumes POTUS when an ebola-type pandemic hits the US. He shuts down everything, including cross-state travel. When informed that he might be violating multiple federal laws, his response was "when this is over, they can arrest me but I'd rather get arrested for this than for not doing anything" or something like that.

Well thank God we don’t have an ebola problem or Jack Ryan as president. Thank God we value freedom.
Most people don’t seem to understand...sure, it needs to be slowed in areas with limited hospital resources. But we also need to get a grip and face the music. We will all ‘get’ Covid, eventually... We can slow it, not stop it. We can run, but not hide. You can put up walls, but you can’t stop the tide.

@denverpilot actually had a reasonable explanation for that one on Facebook... Wish I could remember what it was. :rofl: Maybe he can share it here...
I would like to hear it. In Colorado like many states there is a tremendous difference between Denver Metro and small towns on the Western Slope. Here in Snowmass people are still skiing by hiking or skinning up and hiking on the mountain trails. Staying home in the NYC zoo makes sense but not in quasi wilderness where it's easy for the next human to be kept at 50 feet away.

I would like to hear it. In Colorado like many states there is a tremendous difference between Denver Metro and small towns on the Western Slope. Here in Snowmass people are still skiing by hiking or skinning up and hiking on the mountain trails. Staying home in the NYC zoo makes sense but not in quasi wilderness where it's easy for the next human to be kept at 50 feet away.

It’s in here somewhere. I believe it was pointing out lack of hospital beds and caregivers in steamboat area ...

It not about reducing the infection rate, It is about spreading the rate over time.

The way I heard it explained - I can flush my toilet several times a day and and wind up flushing 2000 gallons of water and waste in a year. If I try to flush 2000 gallons all at once, it isn't all going down the toilet, it's going to be all over me, my bathroom, running out the hallway, etc. On the other hand, if I spend a year focused on flushing my toilet all the time, I'll be a basket case in short order.

That's great. However, the real breakthrough we need is effective treatments of the serious cases and a vaccine . We don't have the time for people to get infected and develop immunities.

The way I heard it explained - I can flush my toilet several times a day and and wind up flushing 2000 gallons of water and waste in a year. If I try to flush 2000 gallons all at once, it isn't all going down the toilet, it's going to be all over me, my bathroom, running out the hallway, etc. On the other hand, if I spend a year focused on flushing my toilet all the time, I'll be a basket case in short order.

That's great. However, the real breakthrough we need is effective treatments of the serious cases and a vaccine . We don't have the time for people to get infected and develop immunities.
the version I heard was related to McDonald's hamburgers. They sell 2.4 billion burgers a year but try going to the drive-thru and ordering just 500..

I'm torn by this. On one level I want to say good on your moronic gov. for taking action.

But on another level, I'm fascinated to know how exactly they intend to enforce a 'no GA flying' rule and make the charges stick. It ain't their airspace to regulate. They may as well start writing tickets for having a dog off a leash and giving them to people in Maine.

I get where you're coming from with this, i.e. no matter how much we flatten the curve, its just going to spike again when the shelter in place type restrictions are lifted. I get that, but here's my perspective on it.

There are some people, my scientist wife for example, who could look at the knowns early on (symptoms, incubation period, rate of serious sickness etc) and knew instantly this was going to be bad. Then there's the rest of us who may or may not trust what we hear or read.

As you might expect, I trust my wife when she's talking about things that are in her wheelhouse. My boss, like me, knows nothing of these sorts of things, but he respects me and he respects my wife. He's also kind of a germophobe so I had his buy in early on. And when I said I think its time to separate as a company and send a memo telling the drivers to stay out of our office as much as possible and to not get within arms reach of any office staff or any other company driver, he was on board immediately. But some of our drivers? Not so much. They thought we were over reacting and a few of them got pretty butt hurt when we put our foot down and confronted them point blank to get 'eff out of the office if they didn't need to be in there.

That was two weeks ago. Now? Every single one of them gets it. A few of our office rooms (mine included) have split doors so you can shut the lower half only. We've never used them as split doors. But we've been closing the lower halves for the last week or so. But of course I forget to close mine sometimes because its just not habit yet. Doesn't matter though. If I ask a driver to come into the office because I need to see them, they walk to my office door, close the lower half of my door and stand out in the hallway while they talk to me. Every one of them. I don't have to tell them, they just do it. They all get it now.

That would not have happened if we as a country hadn't taken the measures we've taken. And what that tells me is if we foolishly lifted all the restrictions tomorrow, a significant portion of the population is going to behave differently for some time to come because they don't want to get infected nor infect others. That is good. Its great actually. Because a lot of these people would never have bought in if we hadn't done what we've done.

So why not lift the restrictions tomorrow then? Here's why. Because we still have hold outs. And every day that we keep things locked down, more people will come to understand that changing their behavior is important and will start to get on board. We'll never get the all to buy it, but we need to get more. And we will the more time we hold out.

The idea is that when we finally say uncle and all go back to work, a huge chunk of us will still find ways to minimize our close contact with others. We''l screw it up and won't do it 100% of the time so it won't stop the spread of infection at all. But we'll do it far more than we would have if we didn't take the actions we've taken and hold out as long as we did, and that could very well be enough to slow the spread to the point where the healthcare system is able to keep up.

Far, far more people are likely to drive to Steamboat than fly their C-172.

Not under the statewide lockdown.

Pretty sure all my commentary was, was that nobody’s got time or resources for an incident over there at the airport right now.

Hell, maybe some sick folk can’t run it. Dunno.

Not pretty in the high country. Not high numbers but it started up there with a tourist, and filled the Vail Valley Hospital some time ago.

Here is an example of the foolishness that is spawning.
In the not too distant past, Massachusetts made single use plastic bags illegal.
Yesterday, I read that the Governor of Massachusetts has declared reusable bags are illegal

A lot of “luxury problems” like plastic straws, plastic bags , gender-neutral pronouns and non-binary genders are being sidelined , now that we have actual real problems to deal with.

Here is an example of the foolishness that is spawning.
In the not too distant past, Massachusetts made single use plastic bags illegal.
Yesterday, I read that the Governor of Massachusetts has declared reusable bags are illegal
In a public health emergency, I don't think it's a good idea to rigidly adhere to something that seemed like a good idea under different circumstances.

Around here, there seems to be a trend toward people putting their own groceries in their reusable bags.

We're under shelter in place rules here in IL. However, the Gov and law enforcement have been quite clear that they won't be pulling people over or doing much more than politely suggesting people go home. Seems their main focus is making sure no bars/restaurants are operating illegally and nobody is throwing a large gathering. I imagine they're taking that approach because there's some question as to whether or not enforcing it would actually be legal.

From my observations on a couple of grocery/supply runs I've made most things are running normally. The biggest change one notices are drive-thru lines are huge and a few items are sold out in stores. My FBO just sent out a notice that they're shortening their hours but looks like they're still open. They put out an essential workers list and if you read it, almost everyone seems to count as essential.

So effectively all we really have is closed restaurants/bars and a request to stay home as much as possible.

Back