Caught On Video

Here's what a San Francisco Bay Tour with Kimberly looks like! Note, it was filmed in HD, so crank it up as high as your computer and bandwidth will allow for the best viewing experience.

P.S.--Note how she moves the trim through its entire range of motion during preflight checks to verify no binding and free range of motion... I liked that! She had some good instruction.

Thanks again, Kim, it was great!!

That was a great video... Feels like I got the tour too

I'm still waiting for the day when Kimberly decides to fly UNDER the bridge. :yikes:

;)

We saw this plane today at the Palm Springs Air Museum, though it was painted differently. One of the docents claims that the one they have is the one used in the scene.

Thanks. Great opening segment.

Here's a trailer for the 1989 movie "Always". On rare occasions Youtube viewer comments can offer interesting insights and poignancy; notice in particular the two comments posted by user "nmfirepilot."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RSL30W9DeU8

This appears to be the crash and two fatalities mentioned by whoever presumably took control of nmfirepilot's Youtube account:

http://www.ktvb.com/news/Two-Boise-firefighters-killed-in-Utah-crash-156933445.html

The comments by nmfirepilot appear to be gone now. The comment saying that person was killed is still there. Eerie.

The comments by nmfirepilot appear to be gone now. The comment saying that person was killed is still there. Eerie.

Not all...

I watched this movie, and then ended up flying firefighting aircraft...
nmfirepilot 8 months ago 4

I'm still waiting for the day when Kimberly decides to fly UNDER the bridge. :yikes:

;)

We saw a helicopter do that when the SS Jeremiah O'Brien took us under the bridge. It was fleet week and America's Cup and we (all pilots) said "he can't do that!"

That was close... this is what causes an undergarment change event for the KC-135 boom operator. A NATO E-3 Sentry almost hit the tail of the tanker and its flying boom during air-to-air refueling operations.

R22 instructor and student rescue a RC P-51 that just crashed in the tree-tops: :eek:

Last edited:
Pretty ***** cool. Though he does curse a lot. Was that a cigarette or a pen in his hand at the beginning of the video? Also, does the student pilot in a helicopter sit in the right seat as opposed to the left seat like we do in planes?

Doug

Pretty ***** cool. Though he does curse a lot. Was that a cigarette or a pen in his hand at the beginning of the video? Also, does the student pilot in a helicopter sit in the right seat as opposed to the left seat like we do in planes?

Doug
As far as I can tell, yeah, it's a cig.

Yup, the seats in choppers are opposite. From what I've heard, it dates back to the inception of whirlybirds and needing to counterbalance weight or something. Again, don't quote me on that because I have yet to confirm that from a reliable source. My first chopper ride, I totally forgot that and hopped in the right seat. Pilot got a little chuckle from that.

As far as I can tell, yeah, it's a cig.

Yup, the seats in choppers are opposite. From what I've heard, it dates back to the inception of whirlybirds and needing to counterbalance weight or something. Again, don't quote me on that because I have yet to confirm that from a reliable source. My first chopper ride, I totally forgot that and hopped in the right seat. Pilot got a little chuckle from that.

I think that's manufacturer/country specific.

R22 instructor and student rescue a RC P-51 that just crashed in the tree-tops: :eek:

Cool video, but that seems like a stupid risk to take, just to rescue a TOY airplane, nestling the helicopter down in the tree tops like that. The instructor isn't teaching the student good aeronautical decision making skills, in my opinion.

What else are you going to do with an R22? It's not exactly a cross country machine. :)

One toy rescuing another. :)

What else are you going to do with an R22? It's not exactly a cross country machine. :)

One toy rescuing another. :)

:lol::rofl::lol::rofl:...

What amazed me was the fact the downwash from the R-22 didn't blow the model plane out of the tree..:dunno:

Ghost seen at Fantasy of Flight's museum... security camera captured it in the hangar. If you turn your volume up, you can even hear its eerie sound.

Cool video, but that seems like a stupid risk to take, just to rescue a TOY airplane, nestling the helicopter down in the tree tops like that. The instructor isn't teaching the student good aeronautical decision making skills, in my opinion.

Not really, compared to what helicopters do at work, I think that was good training. He always made it a point to 'be aware' of the tail position.

Not really, compared to what helicopters do at work, I think that was good training. He always made it a point to 'be aware' of the tail position.
I agree. A lot of what makes something a risk is personal levels of training and experience. It appeared that what he did seemed pretty common to him, just as we feel landing a plane is common and not too risky, because we are trained and have experience in doing so. On the other hand, I have many friends that feel simply flying and landing a small plane is extremely risky. It's all just a matter of perspective.

Ok Who speaks spanish in here ????

How bad was the crew hurt ?:dunno:

Paralyzed ?:dunno:

Back