Caught On Video

flav8r

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
David
We've all made mistakes at one time or another, but if we were lucky it was not caught on video and uploaded to the internet for the world to see.

Here are a few found on the internet:

Nothing worse than a news commentator that doesn't know what he's talking about.:rolleyes2:

So you invite your buddy along to sit in the back and he records and uploads your gear down mistake to the internet.
With friends like this, who needs enemas?:dunno:

Last edited:
Bummer
NTSB Identification: DFW06CA016
14 CFR Part 91: General Aviation
Accident occurred Wednesday, October 26, 2005 in BAKER, LA
Aircraft: Cessna 210L, registration: N59051
Injuries: 1 Uninjured.

The 794-hour private pilot made an uneventful emergency landing on a public highway following a loss of engine power due to fuel starvation. Several attempts were made by the pilot to have the aircraft placed on a flatbed trailer and recovered to a suitable airport; however, the width of the trailer available for recovery was too narrow to accommodate the airplane's main landing gear. After several failed attempts to recover the airplane by ground, the pilot elected to fill the fuel tanks with 15 gallons of fuel and, in coordination with local law enforcement, attempt to takeoff from the private highway. Vehicular traffic was stopped in preparation of the airplane's takeoff from the highway. During the takeoff roll from the highway, the airplane's right wing collided with a side mirror of an 18-wheel truck and then struck the rear of an emergency vehicle. The collision with the vehicles made the airplane turn sharply to the right into a ditch, subsequently impacting trees.

that sucks big time. why was that fire truck there, why.

Nice job by this Alaska pilot after an engine out over rough terrain... properly packed for landing out, including flares, was a good thing.

Last edited:
Nice job by this Alaska pilot after an engine out over rough terrain... properly packed for landing out, including flares, was a good thing.

That was excellent handling of a bad situation, unfortunately it doesn't always end that way.

Cessna L19 - August 1984

Last edited:
Cant paste it on my iPad but a search for "bonanza vfr into IFR" will turn upon of my favorite caught on tape moments.

Cant paste it on my iPad but a search for "bonanza vfr into IFR" will turn upon of my favorite caught on tape moments.

was that the one where they hit a bush on the side of a mountain?

What was that noise in the 182RG? Was that the gear horn?

Oh that one just makes my blood boil. You forgot to mention that it started out as a formation flight with... Wasn't it an Albatross?

Oh that one just makes my blood boil. You forgot to mention that it started out as a formation flight with... Wasn't it an Albatross?
Yep, story I've heard is the jet popped IFR but the Bo driver did not:mad2:

Completely missed the semi's mirror until I went back and watched it again - that was comparitively minor, but might have swung him to the right enough to impact the fuel truck (not fire truck - commentator on the video states it was the truck that brought his fuel, linked story says he took 15 gallons after the forced landing due to fuel exhaustion).

In any case - did any of those guys know how to run a measuring tape?

was that the one where they hit a bush on the side of a mountain?

Yup, that one.

The story disseminated by the real-estate salesman pilot of the Bo through social media channels goes as follows:
- It never happened, the video including the hit and the damage on the outboard wing is all CGI.
- Well if it happened, the people doing the videotaping made him do it and subsequently tried to extort money from him. When he had them investigated, it turned out they were Al Quaeda operatives and they were subsequently arrested and removed from the country by homeland security (no press-reports, docket numbers or other supporting evidence provided)
- The FAA investigated the incident and did not take enforcement action against him or anyone else. But as he is now at risk for Al Quaeda reprisals, they gave him a super-secret N-number.

And I wish I had made that up myself, the guy is serious :rofl: .

The L39 shown in the video is owned by the guy who later got jailed for 60 days for buzzing the Santa Monica pier. As idiocy is contagious and spreads to people around, I tend to think that what is shown in the video is exactly what happened and somehow Mr slick salesman managed to spin a good yarn and talk himself out of enforcement action.

It would have been great if that bo crashed. We'd lose an idiot and a couple of terrorists.

Does anyone have a valid link to the Mooney landing high, hot and long?

The scene is the Mooney on approach to what appears to be a short and narrow runway in a highly wooded area and the pilot doesn't get the plane down till there's only a few hundred feet of runway left.

that sucks big time. why was that fire truck there, why.

Why didn't the pilot check that the "runway" was clear, why?

That was an old one. At the time you could imagine that he wanted to get out of the spotlight as soon as possible.

Back-to-back bad decision making.

Yup, that one.

The story disseminated by the real-estate salesman pilot of the Bo through social media channels goes as follows:
- It never happened, the video including the hit and the damage on the outboard wing is all CGI.
- Well if it happened, the people doing the videotaping made him do it and subsequently tried to extort money from him. When he had them investigated, it turned out they were Al Quaeda operatives and they were subsequently arrested and removed from the country by homeland security (no press-reports, docket numbers or other supporting evidence provided)
- The FAA investigated the incident and did not take enforcement action against him or anyone else. But as he is now at risk for Al Quaeda reprisals, they gave him a super-secret N-number.

And I wish I had made that up myself, the guy is serious :rofl: .

JIM!!!!

My favorite caught on camera moment involves a gentleman named Hogg, who just needs to get away from that thing.

Here's another one that makes you say "Hmmm?".
I think my go around would have started about the 40 second mark.

One point that has to be made:
With tall trees all around, if you realize you're in trouble (too late), it's better to go into the trees at 0' AGL and 25kts, that at 40' AGL and at flying speed.

Better not to go into the trees at all, but there are plenty of people who started their go around WAY too late, and ended up making a survivable crash into a non-survivable one.

Good god. How much extra speed was he carrying?! X3 on the GO AROUND sentiment.

They were way too committed to that being a landing.

Kinda worries me that it sounds like (from the "power off" callout) that there were two rated pilots in that airplane too.

Someone should'a called it. Whew.

One point that has to be made:
With tall trees all around, if you realize you're in trouble (too late), it's better to go into the trees at 0' AGL and 25kts, that at 40' AGL and at flying speed.

Better not to go into the trees at all, but there are plenty of people who started their go around WAY too late, and ended up making a survivable crash into a non-survivable one.

Oh I'd rather go off the end slow than hit the trees, however in this case the go around was obvious before even dipping below the tree tops,

There are quite a few of them to view here.

I've always liked that collection you put together.

You know that if you create a YouTube channel and load all those aviation-related videos in there, you'll get lots of hits, offers from YouTube for them to host advertising at the beginning of your videos, and the commission checks will start rolling in, right? And it won't use YOUR bandwidth...

See here for one of several guides.

That appears to be W10, Whidbey Airpark. Does Mr. Downey concur?

It is a pretty skinny runway so you get the illusion that you are higher than you really are... plus we grow some pretty huge trees in these parts.

Here's how not to F it up so bad...

Last edited:
I wonder if the tires made a "FLUB" "FLUB" sound as they rolled over the flat spot, while taxiing to the FBO's tie-down?:lol: :loco:
Do you mean as they taxied back to the runway? Does the phrase "Go around" not exist in their vocabulary?

Back