Caught On Video

Haha. I'm at the pickup truck stage, but then again, I always was. Heh.

I think he was driving Spike's car there at the end. :) :) :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Did some great crosswind practice today. Winds were 14 gusting to 26 from 320.. We used rnwy 02. Camera angle sucked since I decided at the last minute to slap it on there . At first I had a hard time keeping the centerline (shoot the complete runway for that matter) but after 3 tries I got it figured out. Oh well you can kinda see how bumpy it was. Don't fall asleep now cuz it's lllooonnnngg but I got a solid hour in these conditions.

Last edited:
Not sure it is such a great idea to attach a weight to a balanced control surface.

Did some great crosswind practice today. Winds were 14 gusting to 26 from 320.. We used rnwy 02. Camera angle sucked since I decided at the last minute to slap it on there . At first I had a hard time keeping the centerline (shoot the complete runway for that matter) but after 3 tries I got it figured out. Oh well you can kinda see how bumpy it was. Don't fall asleep now cuz it's lllooonnnngg but I got a solid hour in these conditions.

hard to tell but the first 3 did you crab it in and the 4th slip it in? also, are you turning base too soon or is it just the camera angle? looks like your're too high and too short when you turn final.

The first 3 I had trouble keeping the wing down low enough and giving enough rudder.. The most x winds I had done in this bird had been about 12mph from the same angle so the 26 gusting took a bit to get used to..

With the Cherokee the sink rate is real high compared to the 172e I used to fly.. So on the advice of 3 cfi's I been taught to come in high and short in case of engine failure to always be able to make the runway. They are correct as far as I can tell. When I first got this plane I flew the pattern like the 172 until my CFI buddy pulled the power on base, there was no way we would've even come close to the runway.. Made sense to me then I have 30 hrs in this bird so far and only few of those in any crosswind take offs or landings so when the winds came I jumped at the chance to spend an hour in it. We did 11 that day

Last edited:
The first 3 I had trouble keeping the wing down low enough and giving enough rudder.. The most x winds I had done in this bird had been about 12mph from the same angle so the 26 gusting took a bit to get used to..

With the Cherokee the sink rate is real high compared to the 172e I used to fly.. So on the advice of 3 cfi's I been taught to come in high and short in case of engine failure to always be able to make the runway. They are correct as far as I can tell. When I first got this plane I flew the pattern like the 172 until my CFI buddy pulled the power on base, there was no way we would've even come close to the runway.. Made sense to me then I have 30 hrs in this bird so far and only few of those in any crosswind take offs or landings so when the winds came I jumped at the chance to spend an hour in it. We did 11 that day

I thought you did good considering your lack of experience in gusty X winds.... You identified bad landings and started your go around in a safe and timely manner....

Personally , when I am landing in a strong crosswind I will always favor the upwind side of the runway and let it blow me onto the centerline, or at least somewhere on the runway surface... Your first few landing attemps looked like you were already too far right and the resulting gusts sent you off the right side... IMHO...

ps... If ya video more, try mounting the camera on the downwind side of the plane as that will give a better sight pictuce because of the crabbing angle..... Like anything else in life.... Good landings take Practice, Practice, Practice...:yes:

Thanks! Ya I learned a lot that day.. My wing tip camera was dead otherwise I would've had that vantage point as well.. Thanks for the tip on the downwind side! It's amazing how much that wind blows you closer to the runway on the down wind leg. Next time wider patterns will do the trick..

The NTSB report for the Cessna-in-the-ditch incident said that the pilot first tried to find a flat bed truck to haul the plane, but couldn't find one with a bed wide enough for his main landing gear.

Is that likely to be a problem for any Cessna that needs a ride on a truck?

Back