Caught On Video

Just a side note, Greg...

The "non-embedded" method is automatically embedded by Tapatalk if that's how one is viewing the forum, and the "embedded" shows up as a link.

Exactly backwards. Two different interfaces, completely opposite behavior.

Just so you're aware. Mostly to say... "It doesn't matter." Folks just need to not click Play if they don't want to watch...
Thanks, Nate ... I didn't know that.

I've often wondered if it would be wiser to shut down your engines when you commit to a gear up landing to minimize the damage to the engines??? :dunno:

I've had two instructors push pretty strongly that that's a completely idiotic move, kills your chances of a go around and commits you fully to the approach. I'll try to find the NTSB reports, but I've read two or three where a fatal was the direct result of a pilot trying to save the engines by pulling the mixture on approach for a gear up.

I've had two instructors push pretty strongly that that's a completely idiotic move, kills your chances of a go around and commits you fully to the approach. I'll try to find the NTSB reports, but I've read two or three where a fatal was the direct result of a pilot trying to save the engines by pulling the mixture on approach for a gear up.
Here's a CFI purposely shutting down the engine to give the student the experience of a dead stick landing so he can see how much drag the motionless prop creates.

Here's a CFI purposely shutting down the engine to give the student the experience of a dead stick landing so he can see how much drag the motionless prop creates.

Had just watched that video, it was crosslinked on the gear up posted above. My view on it if you're facing a gear up is why throw a second emergency on top of the one you're already dealing with? Lot of things left to go wrong if you cut the engines and commit yourself to the approach; my action at that point would be to manage the gear up and leave the engines going through the entire approach in case of the need for a go around. Lowers your workload, but then again, my wallet would definitely not be a fan of that approach :no:

I've often wondered if it would be wiser to shut down your engines when you commit to a gear up landing to minimize the damage to the engines??? :dunno:

The insurance company is coming out either way. Leave them running.

Lowers your workload, but then again, my wallet would definitely not be a fan of that approach :no:
Once your deductible is paid, the rest is out of the insurance company's wallet.
Seriously, a gear up landing is a minor emergency. Just land it. I don't know of anyone who has been killed just landing a plane with the gear up.

On the other hand, you pull the mixture and now you have created a true in flight emergency. Plus, if any prop tip hits the runway, it's a teardown and replacement prop anyway, so why create a problem?
Not to mention adding the engine shutdown during short final, when you should be focusing on making a smooooth landing.

Last edited:

A stopped prop creates LESS drag than a windmilling prop.

Once your deductible is paid, the rest is out of the insurance company's wallet.
Seriously, a gear up landing is a minor emergency. Just land it. I don't know of anyone who has been killed just landing a plane with the gear up.

On the other hand, you pull the mixture and now you have created a true in flight emergency. Plus, if any prop tip hits the runway, it's a teardown and replacement prop anyway, so why create a problem?
Not to mention adding the engine shutdown during short final, when you should be focusing on making a smooooth landing.

No arguments here, just too many variables involved in handling a shutdown on approach. Saving the prop or the engine should be the last thing on anyone's mind.

Walk through of the airframe damage you can expect after a Cirrus SR22 CAPS deployment. The gear certainly is a big part of the energy dissipation process!

I won't criticize the pilot for deploying the CAPs but he should not have been flying that plane or any plane in that WX IMHO! If he were in anyother aircraft he'd be dead as would his pax.

http://www.ntsb.gov/aviationquery/brief2.aspx?ev_id=20121007X94725&ntsbno=ERA13LA012&akey=1

What was so bad about the weather?

There was another chute pull near there where the plane iced up and in that case I remember being surprised anyone was flying. However in this case I must be missing something. Ceilings weren't that low.

Watch this full screen, HD 1080.

The Resolve to Remember: Aircraft Return to Flight

Witness the assembly and hanging of six WWII-era aircraft, all in under six minutes at The National WWII Museum's US Freedom Pavilion: The Boeing Center. You will see a North American B-25 Mitchell, a Boeing B-17 Flying Fortress, a General Motors TBM Avenger, a Chance Vought F4U Corsair, a Douglas SBD Dauntless and a North American Aviation P-51 Mustang.

The hangar where "My Gal Sal" was restored was just torn down at ISZ last week

How often does this happen when it's not fog in play?! Cool video: Runway in good visibility up til minimums, then having to go missed at minimums due to heavy rain totally obliterating the view...

From the pilot of the Boeing Business Jet: "The approach flown was a CAT I ILS. I could see the rain column approach from the other side of the field so I got out my phone camera from the jump seat. You can hear the GPWS announce minimums at 200' AGL, and shortly after all visibility is lost due to rain. You do not hear the "50" foot call out during the touch and go, but it had to be close. The HUD really provides incredible center-line tracking, although you can't see the symbology from the camera angle."

Last edited:
Novel way to put out a truck fire on a remote highway. Notice how much the trailer moves around when the load hits it.

This is a short video my wife took on her i-phone. Nothing fancy just an approach and landing at KMGY a couple summers ago.

Had a rare evening where both of us had some time to enjoy the Arrow.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UKVnJYez7M4

I really hate whoever decided it was a good idea to build that damn gas station right off the 20 departure end.

Agreed.

Cars, ditches, power lines, sign/light poles, mailboxes, potholes, and did I mention power lines?

In addition, the pavement is usually going to be very narrow. An interstate highway is only 36 feet wide... When's the last time you landed on a runway that narrow? And just a couple more feet away are the signs, etc...

In this case, it looks like there were both roads and fields available. With the snow being of unknown depth and consistency, I'd have maybe lined up on a road first to see if I could see what the hazards were, as long as I could keep the option of switching to a field.

Great thread!

Here's an excellent "teaching moment" caught in HD glory.

http://vimeo.com/13668958#

We call that "climbing with your butt muscles". lol

Mary and I had a departure like that from a short grass strip in the Ercoupe, once. Big trees, power lines, and a river. Ugh.

That was the day we decided that 85 HP was insufficient for anything but long, flat, groomed/paved runways.

Great thread!

Here's an excellent "teaching moment" caught in HD glory.

http://vimeo.com/13668958#

The pilot also put the video on his blog a couple of years after it happend. There were threads on the red board and on beechtalk about it. This was a G36-TN and given the low DA, he should have had plenty of air between himself and the trees. Still not sure how he ended up limping out of there the way he did.

The pilot also put the video on his blog a couple of years after it happend. There were threads on the red board and on beechtalk about it. This was a G36-TN and given the low DA, he should have had plenty of air between himself and the trees. Still not sure how he ended up limping out of there the way he did.

I'll look for the threads. I also saw this years ago and dug it up again during flight training. I didn't realize it was in such a capable airplane!

I'll look for the threads. I also saw this years ago and dug it up again during flight training. I didn't realize it was in such a capable airplane!

Well, without derailing the video thread any further, people a lot more knowledgeable than me pointed out a couple of reasons why this may have happened. The pilot wasn't exactly receptive to guidance and maybe there was too much attitude on board to weigh them down as well.

Back