Caught On Video

Pilot lands his Cessna (N8125T) in a snow filled field after carburetor icing causes forced landing.

What I can't figure out and I don't mean to second guess since I wasn't there, is why did he choose the field over the roads that can be seen in the area.

Aftermath video...

Last edited:
Pilot lands his Cessna (N8125T) in a snow filled field after carburetor icing causes forced landing.

What I can't figure out and I don't mean to second guess since I wasn't there, is why did he choose the field over the roads that can be seen in the area.

Aftermath video...

He said it, "I wasn't expecting that."

In general, roads are a bad idea (based on my experience). A freeway would be a lot better than a two lane country road, but not without potential issues. I probably would have gone for the field.

In this particular case, a freeway likely would have been a better choice than the deep snow, but it's hard to say for sure. In a car vs. airplane situation, it has been demonstrated (more than once) that the airplane comes out on the short end of the stick...

We've all made mistakes at one time or another, but if we were lucky it was not caught on video and uploaded to the internet for the world to see.

Here are a few found on the internet:

Nothing worse than a news commentator that doesn't know what he's talking about.:rolleyes2:

So you invite your buddy along to sit in the back and he records and uploads your gear down mistake to the internet.
With friends like this, who needs enemas?:dunno:

2 Jack @sses

Cars, ditches, power lines, sign/light poles, mailboxes, potholes, and did I mention power lines?

In addition, the pavement is usually going to be very narrow. An interstate highway is only 36 feet wide... When's the last time you landed on a runway that narrow? And just a couple more feet away are the signs, etc...

In this case, it looks like there were both roads and fields available. With the snow being of unknown depth and consistency, I'd have maybe lined up on a road first to see if I could see what the hazards were, as long as I could keep the option of switching to a field.

Cars, ditches, power lines, sign/light poles, mailboxes, potholes, and did I mention power lines?
In addition, the pavement is usually going to be very narrow. An interstate highway is only 36 feet wide... When's the last time you landed on a runway that narrow? And just a couple more feet away are the signs, etc...
Apparently none of the issues that you have listed were of any concern to the guy in this video. :yikes:

Completely missed the semi's mirror until I went back and watched it again - that was comparitively minor, but might have swung him to the right enough to impact the fuel truck (not fire truck - commentator on the video states it was the truck that brought his fuel, linked story says he took 15 gallons after the forced landing due to fuel exhaustion).

In any case - did any of those guys know how to run a measuring tape?

Screw the measuring tape, get the vehicles behind me.

the pavement is usually going to be very narrow. An interstate highway is only 36 feet wide... When's the last time you landed on a runway that narrow?

You have landed at IA24, right? It is 24' wide, and I think that is more than enough, unless the X wind component is huge.

You have landed at IA24, right? It is 24' wide, and I think that is more than enough, unless the X wind component is huge.

Umm, a 172 wingspan is 36 feet. You'll need at least that much clear of obstructions.

A standard interstate lane is 12 feet, so I don't see how you can make one side of an interstate less than 48 feet unless it's missing the shoulders it's supposed to have.

Yeah, but there's no sign posts, power lines, etc. there, and the grass on either side (and on the north end) is in excellent shape.

Oh, and I forgot to mention trees before.

Umm, a 172 wingspan is 36 feet. You'll need at least that much clear of obstructions.

A standard interstate lane is 12 feet, so I don't see how you can make one side of an interstate less than 48 feet unless it's missing the shoulders it's supposed to have.

The shoulders aren't as wide as the lanes. I was incorrect, the width is 38 feet, not 36 - two 12-foot lanes, 10-foot outside shoulder, and 4-foot inside shoulder.

Either way, most people are used to landing at runways that are a fair amount wider than interstates, and we're all used to not having close-in obstructions.

....The shoulders aren't as wide as the lanes. I was incorrect, the width is 38 feet, not 36 - two 12-foot lanes, 10-foot outside shoulder, and 4-foot inside shoulder.

Either way, most people are used to landing at runways that are a fair amount wider than interstates, and we're all used to not having close-in obstructions.

Just another good reason to continue to practice keeping the plane on centerline when landing....

If the wingspan is 36' and the clearance between highway signs, markers, etc... You have 1 foot on each side for the wingtips to pass by safely...

There is another thread going on now about this

Really? Looks like he has plenty of room. Pretty straightforward stuff for the backcountry.
But given the amount of traffic we saw on the cross street, this ain't the back country! He did a low pass beforehand to check that he would be clear of obstructions. How he checked that there wasn't a car coming towards him around the bend, OTOH, I don't see how he could check!

But given the amount of traffic we saw on the cross street, this ain't the back country! He did a low pass beforehand to check that he would be clear of obstructions. How he checked that there wasn't a car coming towards him around the bend, OTOH, I don't see how he could check!

Watch it again. He flew the road and then did a 180 to land. Also notice that there is no stop sign at the intersection, which tells me that is probably a private road, perhaps his driveway.

Watch it again. He flew the road and then did a 180 to land. Also notice that there is no stop sign at the intersection, which tells me that is probably a private road, perhaps his driveway.
It does appear to be a former roadway since there are passing lane markings on it but the pavement
does not appear to join up with the main road giving the impression that it's an abandoned road.:dunno:
I wish there was some sort of recognizable landmark that I could use to pinpoint the location. :confused:

It does appear to be a former roadway since there are passing lane markings on it but the pavement
does not appear to join up with the main road giving the impression that it's an abandoned road.:dunno:
I wish there was some sort of recognizable landmark that I could use to pinpoint the location. :confused:

There are some identifying features but the rez is waay too low to do any good with them. That is unless you have a movie computer and just say "computer, enhance sector 144" and it turns a few pixels into the OED.

Just another good reason to continue to practice keeping the plane on centerline when landing....

Except if you land on the centerline on an interstate highway, you're actually 3 feet off center. (It'd be 16 feet from the left edge and 22 feet from the right.)

If the wingspan is 36' and the clearance between highway signs, markers, etc... You have 1 foot on each side for the wingtips to pass by safely...

Plenty of room! :eek:

There is another thread going on now about this

Where? Looked for it, didn't see it. :dunno:

Except if you land on the centerline on an interstate highway, you're actually 3 feet off center. (It'd be 16 feet from the left edge and 22 feet from the right.)

:dunno:

I agree... My point was to make sure you can fly the plane precisely... The sight picture as you approach an interstate highway will be apparent you need to offset to the right 3 feet or so to get you in the middle of obstructions...

Good point though..:yes:

The claim is that this is an ultralight but whatever type of aircraft it is the woman apparently had zero training in it.

WTF :confused:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/JDT_Hi-MAX

The aircraft was originally intended to meet the requirements of the US FAR 103 Ultralight Vehicles category, including that category's maximum 254 lb (115 kg) empty weight. It was only able to achieve that low empty weight with the 28 hp (21 kW) Rotax 277, which provided marginal performance. The standard specified engine today is the 40 hp (30 kW) Rotax 447 which results in a 328 lb (149 kg) empty weight and places the aircraft in the US Experimental - Amateur-built category.

NTSB Identification: ERA09CA177
14 CFR Part 91: General Aviation
Accident occurred Tuesday, February 17, 2009 in Windham, NH
Probable Cause Approval Date: 05/12/2009
Aircraft: HI-Max 1700R, registration: NONE
Injuries: 1 Serious.
NTSB investigators used data provided by various entities, including, but not limited to, the Federal Aviation Administration and/or the operator and did not travel in support of this investigation to prepare this aircraft accident report.
The non-certificated pilot was flying an unregistered experimental, amateur-built airplane. The husband of the pilot informed a Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) inspector that his wife departed from a pond covered with ice. His wife flew around the local area, just above the trees, at 200 feet. The airplane was heading towards a housing area and pulled up just before it collided with the roof of a private residence. The airplane glanced off the roof, hit another residence, and came to rest on the ground inverted. The pilot informed her husband that the rudder on the airplane was stuck. Examination of the airplane by the FAA inspector revealed no anomalies with the airplane.

The National Transportation Safety Board determines the probable cause(s) of this accident to be:

The non-certificated pilot's failure to maintain clearance from houses while flying an unregistered experimental, amateur-built airplane.

He needs to swap the camera mount for one of these:
Gau8a_a.jpg

I'm sure he can still take off a little over gross.

Last edited:
WTF :confused:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/JDT_Hi-MAX

The aircraft was originally intended to meet the requirements of the US FAR 103 Ultralight Vehicles category, including that category's maximum 254 lb (115 kg) empty weight. It was only able to achieve that low empty weight with the 28 hp (21 kW) Rotax 277, which provided marginal performance. The standard specified engine today is the 40 hp (30 kW) Rotax 447 which results in a 328 lb (149 kg) empty weight and places the aircraft in the US Experimental - Amateur-built category.

NTSB Identification: ERA09CA177
14 CFR Part 91: General Aviation
Accident occurred Tuesday, February 17, 2009 in Windham, NH
Probable Cause Approval Date: 05/12/2009
Aircraft: HI-Max 1700R, registration: NONE
Injuries: 1 Serious.
NTSB investigators used data provided by various entities, including, but not limited to, the Federal Aviation Administration and/or the operator and did not travel in support of this investigation to prepare this aircraft accident report.
The non-certificated pilot was flying an unregistered experimental, amateur-built airplane. The husband of the pilot informed a Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) inspector that his wife departed from a pond covered with ice. His wife flew around the local area, just above the trees, at 200 feet. The airplane was heading towards a housing area and pulled up just before it collided with the roof of a private residence. The airplane glanced off the roof, hit another residence, and came to rest on the ground inverted. The pilot informed her husband that the rudder on the airplane was stuck. Examination of the airplane by the FAA inspector revealed no anomalies with the airplane.

The National Transportation Safety Board determines the probable cause(s) of this accident to be:

The non-certificated pilot's failure to maintain clearance from houses while flying an unregistered experimental, amateur-built airplane.

If she really had ZERO flight training, she didn't do half bad.

As always, it's that pesky job of getting the plane back on the ground that complicates things. :lol:

Only in Russia...

Hmmm. Maybe this whole line that "America's skies are the freest in the world" that we've been fed our whole lives ain't true?

Do what's depicted in that video here, and go to jail.

The claim is that this is an ultralight but whatever type of aircraft it is the woman apparently had zero training in it.

Wow. A whole family of them. Papa Dumb, Mama Dumb, and Baby Dumb ("OMG Mom, oh, what is she DOOINGGG? ZOMG this is SO going on YouTube FTW, LOL =)").

Next time they get involved in something insanely dangerous, let's hope they all do it together. :)

My flight school Harlem Shake featuring our brand-spankin'-new C172SP with G1000. Has like 35 hrs. on it:

I'm not going to embed this one, since there were fatalities, but you can click the link if you choose.

VRC-50 C-2 Greyhound off the Ranger. They had a ship's generator in the cargo area that broke loose/shifted severely aft on the cat shot. No survivors. I recall this video to this day, as it was one of the initial training clips they showed to us aspiring Flight Techs in Aircrew training.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OlDmMwI9cik

I'm not going to embed this one, since there were fatalities, but you can click the link if you choose.

VRC-50 C-2 Greyhound off the Ranger. They had a ship's generator in the cargo area that broke loose/shifted severely aft on the cat shot. No survivors. I recall this video to this day, as it was one of the initial training clips they showed to us aspiring Flight Techs in Aircrew training.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OlDmMwI9cik

As much as that sucks to see, it does teach respect for the envelope

Just a side note, Greg...

The "non-embedded" method is automatically embedded by Tapatalk if that's how one is viewing the forum, and the "embedded" shows up as a link.

Exactly backwards. Two different interfaces, completely opposite behavior.

Just so you're aware. Mostly to say... "It doesn't matter." Folks just need to not click Play if they don't want to watch...

Screenshot from iPad:

jyvesaze.jpg

Not sure if it's been posted before but it should be..
Just for the record, the pilot in that flight claims that:
- it never happened,
- must have been CGI,
- there was an extortion attempt,
- it was all an Al Quaeda plot,
- the department of homeland security took care of the perpetrators,
- the FAA reviewed all of this and told him that everything is a-ok.

Back