Caught On Video

Again, I don't think so, the entire thing is too purposeful and at the end he he even gives the plane a pat.

Why would they have recorded themselves intentionally landing gear up AND post the video on the internet?

Again, I don't think so, the entire thing is too purposeful and at the end he he even gives the plane a pat.

Yeah, you're right, just watched again, paying attention to the attitudes and the lack of any surprised comments.

One dark and lonely night I was tooling along in a 210 in the wee hours of the morning with a friend up front and another crashed in the back. I pulled power off until the horn sounded and rocked the wings while yelling "MAYDAY MAYDAY We're Goin' down!!!" Once he calmed down we laughed for about an hour.

Why would they have recorded themselves intentionally landing gear up AND post the video on the internet?

Because it was a great example of what to expect. They had trouble getting down and floated way long due to reduced drag. But then, your logic is incorrect anyway. If it happened as a real emergency situation where they couldn't get the gear down regardless of the method, (there is a failure mode in the system IIRC that allows for either hydraulic system to just remain in bypass flow and not develop system pressure) then there is absolutely no reason not to post it. However if it was the video of a f-up, then there is great cause not to post it.

I feel sorry for that dog. Not only does he have no clue as to why all of sudden he is just hanging out floating around, but he also just drops and that had to hurt him a little. Some of my students just asked me what I was laughing about when I watched it.

Better close-in HD video by one of the crew, of the helicopter crash we all saw on the news some months ago (rotor wire strike while putting up a Christmas tree). What's incredible here is he hit his OWN cable (the one going from the top of the tower to the bottom of his bird):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5aMT9MBfZI

FRAME GRAB! Man, talk about bad luck for the pilot, and a very lucky guy on the ground. The pilot's rotors were just fine, until.....

One of the ground crew jumps up and grabs onto the lowest point of the arced cable, pulling it taut into a V and into the rotors... he somehow escapes major bodily injury (I can't speak for what happened to his hand when the rotor ripped the cable from it):

attachment.php

And you know the other guy who is repositioning his camera on the tripod was kicking himself later for missing all the action.

Attachments

• ScreenShot229.png
    ScreenShot229.png
    600.1 KB · Views: 739
Last edited:
Good catch. I didn't see the guy jumping up and grabbing the cable until you pointed it out.

The torsional forces at the moment of wire strike are incredible; twists the fuselage enough to pop open all the doors.

I'm wondering if they had a problem with the quick release mechanism for the cable.... with it still attached to the top of the tower, I'm surprised they would try to land the copter without first releasing the copter-end of the cable.

I'm wondering if they had a problem with the quick release mechanism for the cable.... with it still attached to the top of the tower, I'm surprised they would try to land the copter without first releasing the copter-end of the cable.

Here is the prelim report:

Attachments

• ZK-HIG_Prelim_rep.pdf
    19.9 KB · Views: 70
Three planes involved in this in-cockpit video of a midair between two planes.

2 Husky taildraggers were towing banners for 2 political parties (SP and CDA) over Amsterdam and along the coast. A Cessna 172 was flying in formation with the SP Husky in order to film and photograph it, paying no attention to the CDA Husky. The main gear of the Cessna 172 hit the top left wing of the CDA Husky, penetrated the wing, and got stuck. After about 10 seconds they managed to separate. The CDA Husky landed on the beach with a damaged left wing (2 large holes):

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=0f9_1347207747

IMAGE_7FD99C34-D78C-49AA-9FDF-DD9709E6B54B.JPG

IMAGE_A4DAF1AB-2FE3-4CE3-ADC5-CAE6B656DF7C.JPG

Gobosh on departure roll at KAPA today caught a bird in the prop. Fracture at prop root (see carbon fiber exposed). No people hurt.

Gobosh on departure roll at KAPA today caught a bird in the prop. Fracture at prop root (see carbon fiber exposed). No people hurt.
Finally, a non-fatal at KAPA! Too many of the other kind lately! :(

I trust that the pilot will be suing the bird manufacturer for creating a model with faulty collision avoidance? LOL

Seriously, though, that would suck, and it looks like he was IMC (or about to be) when it happened! Imagine coming around and needing to shoot the approach, not knowing if your prop is going to disintegrate on you!

Seriously, though, that would suck, and it looks like he was IMC (or about to be) when it happened! Imagine coming around and needing to shoot the approach, not knowing if your prop is going to disintegrate on you!

IMC in a Gobosh? Are any of them even properly equipped?

IMC in a Gobosh? Are any of them even properly equipped?

I did wonder about that when I posted, and tried to find out, but couldn't find a quick answer. And distance from clouds is notoriously difficult to judge even in person, much less from a photo. But I'd have the same concern if it happened in a Skylane, so my point/concern stands!

Don't know exactly what time the Gobosh was up, but WX was roughly 3000 OVC that day, if I remember correctly. Haven't seen the video, but there was stuff hanging down in some areas but solid VFR all 'round the area lately.

Probably should call this thread "Caught on CAMERA" instead of "on Video", so we can stash good aviation pictures here too. Would LOVE to hear this thing run:

attachment.php

Attachments

• Radial Engine Car.jpg
    Radial Engine Car.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 436
That was great, I like all the bleeping. I wonder if they ran out of fuel or it was contamination.

You do [ YT ]ohtoifa5bNM[ /YT ] and the part in the middle there is just the video ID from youtube.

So the above if you remove the spaces between the brackets, looks like this (amazing landing)

Ouch indeed! I was watching that thinking it was intentional aerobatics, then noticed the prop stop and thought "Ok, that wasn't really smart", then he recovered and I kept waiting for the starter to hit again and he would fly away. Then I was thinking "he's getting really low now" and he's rolling into a steep turn and I figure he's on short final to a small strip and it was all a nice setup... and then ouch...

Recovery from a flat spin with 26 rotations...

Gotta wonder if he let go of the controls ("resignation") after he said "well, I guess this is it..." and it recovered on its own. This is also why I fly with an escape hammer. Would hate to be stuck upside down with no way out.

Heard the one about the amateur mechanic who took a Rolls-Royce RB.211-22B turbofan from a TWA Lockheed L-1011 and ran it in his backyard? Well you have now...

File this one under the "Just because I can" category.

Gotta wonder if he let go of the controls ("resignation") after he said "well, I guess this is it..." and it recovered on its own. This is also why I fly with an escape hammer. Would hate to be stuck upside down with no way out.

His notes were illuminating:
The spin was supposed to be a normal erect spin to the right, but for various unintentional reasons the spin went flat, up until that point I had never flat spun an aircraft. I eventualy mananged to get the aircraft into a normal erect spin from which I was able to recover. This aircraft is not fitted with an electric starter motor, so I was unable to restart the engine. During the "flare" to land the main undercarriage caught the top wires of a barbed wire fence that was invisible to me. After coming to rest inverted I waited 20mins for the rescue services to come and right the aircraft so I was able to exit via the outward opening canopy. The aircraft rotated 26 times total, I was extremely dissorientated after the recovery to straight and level flight, and was unable to read the instruments. From the video I estimate I recovered at about 700ft from an entry altitude of 3500ft. If you listen carefully you will hear me say:"I think this is it". At that stage I did not think I would be able to recover. However I continued to try various control inputs based on the aircraft attitude and rotational rate, which eventually effected a recovery.
My thanks go to the emergency services that found me and allowed my escape.

Back