Zeftronics: Unreliable Warranty

CT583

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
CT583
I wanted to see if anyone here is having similar issues with Zeftronics?

Back in February I had to divert to a city 200 miles away from my home base. (KSSF-KIWS).
It was initially for an electrical issue, where I ended up replacing an alternator and votalge regulator.

Well, the voltage regulator failed on the first runup. Thinking it would be easy, the Mechanic sent it back to Zeftronics for warranty repair. It’s been welll over a month of waiting with no information on a replacement.

Now I may not be in the same position, but don’t you think sending a replacement might be of better service. Or at least communicating with the AP working on my plane 200 miles away.

I’m starting to think this may be my last straw with GA product providers. Flying a plane half a year while the rest of the time waiting on products is not conducive to enjoying aviation.

use this as a fair warning to stay away from Zeftronics.

Well, what did Zeftronics say the last time you called them? And I mean "you", since if I was waiting a month for something like that I'd be the one calling repeatedly, not leaving it to a mechanic I don't know 200 miles away.

Sometimes the "squeaky wheel gets the grease" technique is what it takes. No, it shouldn't be that way, but...

I put one on my 172 about 3 years ago and so far so good. The one for my 172 was not that expensive if I remember right?
What about buying a different brand to get your plane flying? Then that will give you more time to dick with Zeftronics. If they don't come through for you eventually then you can come on here and tell us how they failed you and only be out the cost of the regulator but be flying your plane.

I would not let a voltage regulator keep me from flying my plane.

Is anyone sure the regulator is really the problem?

Come on over to the Darkside. The voltage regulator I use on experimental is solid state, available at any local auto parts shop, reliable, and currently $12 on Amazon.

I would call around to find the part that is available now so you can get flying. I had to do a similar thing with some parts, when your go to shop tells you an unknown waiting list or 3-6 months, you have to step in and find other solutions.

Got nothing nice to say about zeftronics. Needed two regulators. Followed their website which listed which model was compatible with my model plane. Ordered two. Turned out that “some models” used a different plug and were not compatible. You would figure they would take them back without issue, right ? Nope. They said you should have confirmed with them beforehand. Unopened and sealed is a 25 percent restock fee. Opened but never installed is a 45% restock fee. expensive lesson - avoid zeftronics if you can….

Your mechanic 200 miles away might not be pushing the issue, given you're not a regular customer, he's backed up, etc. Or worse, he didn't really do any follow up - or the part is actually in his shop. As others have suggested, you call Zeftronics directly.

I would call around to find the part that is available now so you can get flying. I had to do a similar thing with some parts, when your go to shop tells you an unknown waiting list or 3-6 months, you have to step in and find other solutions.

I agree.
I had this problem with tires and magnetos.
"Nope, not any, anywhere."
So I got on the phone and started making calls. I found one tire in Baton Rouge, one tire in San Diego. Done and done.
I had them in 3 days, installed them myself.
I then started calling about magnetos. I found a guy who actually works for Champion. He told me Champion was useless. But he would talk to my mechanic. They chatted, he sent the parts and my mechanic rebuilt the mags.
Interesting side note. I watched/helped with the rebuild. Anyone who is handy with meters and tools could rebuild a mag with no issues.
Another reason to dislike the FAA.

"God helps those who help themselves." (Actually works whether or not you believe in God, because it's not really God helping.)

Well as an update, I asked the mechanic working on the plane to find another voltage regulator. He found and installed one in less than 3 business days from Plane Power.

I did try calling Zeftronics multiple times. You have to leave a message and hope they call back. Warranty department never called me.

A Big However… when I called sales and acted like I was interested in a product, I got the most helpful person on the phone. He told me about the quick lead times and the warranty they provide. After that I asked about a product I had there under warranty work. He told me he couldn’t transfer me or put me on hold to find someone, that he would call me back. That was a week ago, still no word.

At this point I guess I’ll need to seek out a refund because I’ve already spend an additional $1200 on another product. I’m just very disappointed in the entire situation.

"God helps those who help themselves." (Actually works whether or not you believe in God, because it's not really God helping.)
A popular quote from the book of Assumptions

...I’ve already spend an additional $1200 on another product.

That's a hell of a markup. The Plane Plower regulator is a $300 item. I have a Zeftronics that's been working for the last 20+ years. If it dies, I'll probably replace it with a PlanePower. I have a PlanePower alternator.

That's a hell of a markup. The Plane Plower regulator is a $300 item. I have a Zeftronics that's been working for the last 20+ years. If it dies, I'll probably replace it with a PlanePower. I have a PlanePower alternator.

plane power, plus labor to modify the Mount they made for the Zeftronics in an amendment to fit the plane power.

I tried getting one of their regulators warrantied once. They basically give you the run around over the phone until the amount of work it takes to get them to work with you exceeds the value of the part.

I tried getting one of their regulators warrantied once. They basically give you the run around over the phone until the amount of work it takes to get them to work with you exceeds the value of the part.

well they kept telling my mechanic, “just a few more days, we are a little behind.”

when mine shows up in 3-5 business months, I’ll sell it to you lol

I did try calling Zeftronics multiple times. You have to leave a message and hope they call back. Warranty department never called me.

A Big However… when I called sales and acted like I was interested in a product, I got the most helpful person on the phone. He told me about the quick lead times and the warranty they provide. After that I asked about a product I had there under warranty work. He told me he couldn’t transfer me or put me on hold to find someone, that he would call me back. That was a week ago, still no word.

That's some shady nonsense. Thanks for the warning pirep :/

Did you by chance put the first regulator on your credit card?
If so, dispute the charge. You will either get your money back, or you will get a response from Zeftronics.

good idea.

Zeftronics VR's have a reputation for going bad. I switched to a Plane Power and have had no problems. VARMA not necessary, as the R1224 is PMA with a very long eligiblity list.

One caution: the PP is not weather tight. If mounted on the front side of the FW, overzealous washing of the engine compartment can short it out and pop the alt field fuse/breaker. Ask me how I know. When I rebuilt my aircraft, I relocated it to the backside of the FW. Should last much longer there.

Back