Why do many (most?) notable pilots have mustache?

mumblecanfly

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
mumblecanfly
It's my observation. Not sure if most, but many, especially the ones that are/were known for whatever reason. The typical seasoned pilot is a man in his 50s wearing a mustache, a lean face and figure. :)

I am uncertain as to the accuracy of your statement. Running through notable pilots in my head is coming up with far more without mustaches than with.

This guy must be the best pilot ever!

446ff73a00000578-0-image-a-3-1505741562949.jpg

Why you're right, I did not realize that!
I have the moustache and the irresistibility to the ladies which you mention.
The lean physique, not so much.
Oh, wait, you didn't mention ladies.
Hm. Down to 'cookie duster' only. Rats.

:) To get it started:

British Airways Flight 5390:

18mgoyxvs32ejjpg.jpg

Sully and the first officer:
Jeffery+Skiles+Hero+Airways+Pilot+Presented+bfLseGrxGPtl.jpg

Last edited:
I can grow more hair on my upper lip (so I do) than I can on the top of my head. I've had a big moustache since 1981, shaving it off once in about 2007. My son had never seen me that way. I didn't like it either and promptly grew it back.

The mustache is really the only form of facial hair that a professional pilot can have, because anything else interferes with the seal of the oxygen mask that is required for operation at high altitudes.

I’ve always thought mustaches are old school. Most guys who continue to wear one are lost in the 80’s and heavily date themselves because of it.

The mustache is really the only form of facial hair that a professional pilot can have, because anything else interferes with the seal of the oxygen mask that is required for operation at high altitudes.

I’ve always thought mustaches are old school. Most guys who continue to wear one are lost in the 80’s and heavily date themselves because of it.

Oh bs! A dude grows a stache because he wants to, no matter what generation. out at the aerdrome I see them on teen pilots up to old fart pilots like me, and older. No, I don’t have a stache.

Oh bs! A dude grows a stache because he wants to, no matter what generation. out at the aerdrome I see them on teen pilots up to old fart pilots like me, and older. No, I don’t have a stache.
Must be an Alabama thing. None of the guys that I know my age (+ or - 5 yrs) have mustaches, unless they’re a treehugger or just a flat out goober.

Must be an Alabama thing. None of the guys that I know my age (+ or - 5 yrs) have mustaches, unless they’re a treehugger or just a flat out goober.

You have to get out more.

Let’s be honest, as a young guy, you either grow out a full blown beard like a real man, or you go clean shaven. Unless you star in adult movies, young men shouldn’t be wearing a mustache!

:eek:

Ha! I have a 16-17 year old student who has one.

Here is a quick list of some famous or noteworthy aviators from various eras and facets of aviation and whether they had mustaches or not. The yes or no is based upon how they predominantly were and not whether they ever had one in some obscure photo.

Wilbur Wright – no
Orville Wright- yes
Glenn Curtis - yes
Charles Lindbergh – no
Eddie Rickenbacker - no
Jimmy Doolittle – no
Roscoe Turner - yes
Claire Chennault - no
Dick Bong -no
Tommy McGuire – yes
Pappy Boyington – yes
Joe Foss – no
Gabby Gabreski - no
Chuck Yeager - no
Bob Hoover- yes
Scott Crossfield - no
Paul Mantz - yes
Howard Hughes - yes
Art Scholl - yes
Neil Armstrong – no
Buzz Aldrin - no
Duke Cunningham – no
Robin Olds – yes
Tex Johnson – yes
Steve Hinton Sr. – no
Steve Hinton Jr. – no
Darryl Greenamyer – no
Clay Lacy - no
Paul Poberezny – no
Gene Soucy - no
Dick Rutan – no
Michael Goulian – no
Kirby Chambliss – no
Sean Tucker - no

And now for the ladies.
Amelia Earhart – no
Jackie Cochran – no
Bessie Coleman – no
Pancho Barnes – possibly
Patty Wagstaff - no
All other famous lady pilots - no

I could have used far more military pilots and astronauts to add to the no count but that would be piling on.

And by the way, all of the above are more noteworthy and contributed far more to aviation than Sully except to those most unfamiliar with aviation history.

Sully... seriously? That was your go to guy? LOL!!

But we can go back and forth for many pages as there are many that would fall into either camp but in the end I do believe that the number without mustaches will be far greater than those with.

OK, maybe not mustache, but what about lean physique? :rolleyes: Have never seen an obese pilot. (should have modified the title)

There is some common trait. If there is a group of pilots, and a group of hedge fund managers, all in plain clothing, in the same room, chances are we can tell which is which without hearing their conversations.

(Skydog58, the fact that you included Neil Armstrong, Buzz Aldrin and women pilots doesn't help your making your point. :cool:)

Last edited:

Olds during the Vietnam War sporting his trademark handlebar mustache
Olds was known for the extravagantly waxed (and decidedly non-regulation) handlebar moustache he sported in Vietnam. It was a common superstition among airmen to grow a "bulletproof mustache",[91][92] but Olds also used his as "a gesture of defiance. The kids on base loved it. Most everybody grew a mustache."[93] Olds started the mustache in the wake of the success of Operation Bolo and let it grow beyond regulation length because "It became the middle finger I couldn't raise in the PR photographs. The mustache became my silent last word in the verbal battles...with higher headquarters on rules, targets, and fighting the war."[94] Returning home, however, marked the end of this flamboyance. When he reported to his first interview with Air Force Chief of Staff General John P. McConnell, McConnell walked up to him, stuck a finger under his nose and said, "Take it off." Olds replied, "Yes, sir."

For his part, Olds was not upset with the order, recalling:

To tell the truth, I wasn't all that fond of the damned thing by then, but it had become a symbol for the men of the 8th Wing. I knew McConnell understood. During his visits to Ubon over the past year he had never referred to my breach of military standards, just seemed rather amused at the variety of 'staches sported by many of the troops. (It) was the most direct order I had received in twenty-four years of service.

Last edited:
Pilots were/are skinny because they can't afford to fly and eat. One or the other, but not both.
Professional pilots are skinny so they can stuff them into the midget sized cockpits of the planes they have to fly.
Why is it they can build a plane that will carry 300 or more passengers, but you can't be taller than Peter Dinklage and fit into a cockpit comfortably.
Maybe if they charged pilots to fly airliners they might get first class passenger sized seats?
Lears and most Pipers come to mind as being cramped. Also the 727 was a personal favorite of mine. I could damage almost every body part getting in and out of the cockpit.
Just my .02 cents.

The mustache is the traditional Army warrant officer fare. Army aviation spawned many professional pilots (where my aviation career started), and the mustache was their way of rebelling as it was the only facial hair authorized with reg (however, many were out of reg). Most Real Live Officers (RLOs) were clean shaven (again, yours truly). My pops - retired W4 - still rocks his mustache to this day. Helped him size up the pilots he flew with at the airlines as well;)

Back